Airline no-no...would you do it?

emilygrace

I know that it is a no-no to book a round trip airline ticket and only use one portion of it. I also know if you do not use the first half that the airline can cancel the return portion and you are on your own to get home.

What I want to know is if anyone has ever booked a RT and only used the first half? I am looking at one way flights from SFO to London and they are at least $300 per person higher than a RT.

I'm tempted, but I don't want to get red-flagged in the airline industry and have difficulty flying after that.

I am asking this because it is an open jaw itinerary. The cruise line air is not bad but I only get one custom air waiver and I would have to choose to use it for either going in a day early OR picking non-stop flights. And I need both of these things. Plus, if I picked the non-stop flight it would probably bump the price up to what I'm seeing on my own and I would have to pay the difference.

So have any of you only used half of your booked flight? I won't tell!:rolleyes:

I know that it is a no-no to book a round trip airline ticket and only use one portion of it. I also know if you do not use the first half that the airline can cancel the return portion and you are on your own to get home.

What I want to know is if anyone has ever booked a RT and only used the first half? I am looking at one way flights from SFO to London and they are at least $300 per person higher than a RT.

I'm tempted, but I don't want to get red-flagged in the airline industry and have difficulty flying after that.

I am asking this because it is an open jaw itinerary. The cruise line air is not bad but I only get one custom air waiver and I would have to choose to use it for either going in a day early OR picking non-stop flights. And I need both of these things. Plus, if I picked the non-stop flight it would probably bump the price up to what I'm seeing on my own and I would have to pay the difference.

So have any of you only used half of your booked flight? I won't tell!:rolleyes:

Done it lots of times, in fact, as airline tickets are normally good for 1 year, we have flown from london to the us, not used the return portion and then called the airline towards the end of the year and used the unused trip to get back to london:)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. This is one of the reasons airlines overbook.

Besides, how would they know that other circumstances weren't involved that caused you to miss your flight?

Lynnees, am I correct in thinking that you are a TA? I did pose this question to my TA and she told me about some clients of hers that did not use the FIRST half of their ticket and the airline canceled the return portion and they didn't find out until they went to check in. BUT....she also told me that she has done it herself, using only the first half. But she said it was 4 or 5 years ago so she wasn't sure how things were now.

Thanks for your input. I may just do this. I have quite a while to make up my mind.

Lynnees, am I correct in thinking that you are a TA? I did pose this question to my TA and she told me about some clients of hers that did not use the FIRST half of their ticket and the airline canceled the return portion and they didn't find out until they went to check in. BUT....she also told me that she has done it herself, using only the first half. But she said it was 4 or 5 years ago so she wasn't sure how things were now.

Thanks for your input. I may just do this. I have quite a while to make up my mind.

Yes it´s true that airlines cancel the inbound flight if you have skipped the outbound flight. I know over here (Germany) they have been sued about this and lost, but they are still trying to pull that string on their customers. So to be safe book it in a way that you skip the return flight.

A few years ago, my daughter had to fly to London from the US to go to Steiner to train for the spa, then board her ship. We had to proide the flight. We used air miles on Northwest and it was the same number of miles for round or one-way, and we were not sure whether or not the job would work out, etc. We just held on until the year was up and the return flight expired. Since she did the transatlantic cruise home at the end of her contract, it was never needed. We will probably have to do this again, since she will be going to Barcelona from the US to board another ship. This time we may use the return. I am sure many people do it. If the airlines wanted to avoid it, they would lower the fares.

I've done it. Air Canada used to have that stupid Saturday night say rule otherwise a flight to Toronto was $2,000. I used to book my return for the Sunday and then book a cheap one way on a discount airline to get home Friday night. I would always tell air canada when I got off the first flight that I wouldn't be using the return. They used to scowl but never said anything about it being wrong. Just always, always make sure it's never the first portion that you don't use.

Yes I am. i wouldn't advise not using the first half as they will cancel. But you can book it so that you start at the other end which is what I did. We were sailing a TA and needed to fly back from England. I just booked our tickets so that we STARTED in England with a return later in the year.

We did this in April 2008.

I'm just getting into this scenerio too. Can anyone confirm this,

that if I want to deviate my airfare to come in a day early I can't

also request a non stop flight? It's one or the other?

I'm a very frequent traveler in my work and I've done this several times. No problem. I would suggest as others have that the return should be the 'throw away'. I'd also suggest contacting the airline after the outbound leg to notify that you will be canceling the return. If asked ( and they probably won't) just say your plans changed and they will usually give a credit for the return to use at a later date.

As long as you don't do it all the time a missed flight that ends up not ever taken happens...sometimes folks get invited to ride the private jet of a friend back home...

The idea about using it later in the year posted above is great...do a seoncd TA and you pay some extra and have a return flight already waiting for you.

I know some folks who book 2 RTs or 3 RTs per trip to save and then they waste many segments...surprised she hasn't been caught. Of course the time she booked 3 OW tickets to travel with our group...she had extra security every stop where those of us on a circle ticket no problems...

Go for it!!! Enjoy the savings!!!

Thanks to all of you for your input. This will probably be the way we go unless they drastically reduce the one way fare. I DO like the idea of using the return portion at a later date when I do an eastbound TA! Gives me incentive to do one! Even with a hefty change fee, it would still be less than buying another one way ticket.

You guys have been great!!!!

You can do it as an individual with little worry as long as it isn't frequent or blatant. My comment is based on what I've read on other travel websites. However, airlines do go after travel agents who do this for clients by billing them. So you will probably need to do it on your own.

Also, some comments in this thread about using the skipped portion later are not always true. It depends on your fare. "Full price" fares provide a credit that can be used later or a refund. Discount fares usually allow a credit *if* you notify them 24 or 48 hours in advance (if you don't you lose it), the deepest discount fares do not allow any cancellation credits and are truly throw-away. Read the fare rules carefully and do the math.

So pick Aer Lingus, the only airline that doesn't do the silly one way fare pricing. They sell real one way tickets (1/2 a return)...... approx $400 one way for SFO-DUB-LHR

Just make sure you book it all as a single ticket so your trans atlantic luggage allowance is used on the european portion of the flight.

I just picked a random date (Wed. June 24) One-way from SFO > LHR and the price is $462 on Aer Lingus. Also look at flying in an extra day early. Sometimes flying a day before or after your planned day can make a huge difference in price.

When I check prices on flights I always check the box to show 3 days before and after my target date. That way if one day makes a big difference I can work around that.

Aer Lingus does have good prices AND they allow you to purchase one way tickets, BUT we would have to change planes in Dublin, and DH doesn't want to do that, plus I worry about the luggage getting lost. We are going in a day early just to make sure everything arrives OK. This means DH has to take 2 weeks plus one day for this trip. He doesn't even know if he will be able to get that first week because it is the Labor Day holiday week, and those weeks get picked up pretty fast. He works for the post office and has 23 years seniority, but there is only one slot per week on his sign up, so he rarely can get the ones with holidays in them.

Here's a question for anyone out there.....if you have used Aer Lingus and changed planes in Dublin, do you have to get your luggage and go through customs there and then again when you get off the plane in London?

When I check prices on flights I always check the box to show 3 days before and after my target date. That way if one day makes a big difference I can work around that.

Aer Lingus does have good prices AND they allow you to purchase one way tickets, BUT we would have to change planes in Dublin, and DH doesn't want to do that, plus I worry about the luggage getting lost. We are going in a day early just to make sure everything arrives OK. This means DH has to take 2 weeks plus one day for this trip. He doesn't even know if he will be able to get that first week because it is the Labor Day holiday week, and those weeks get picked up pretty fast. He works for the post office and has 23 years seniority, but there is only one slot per week on his sign up, so he rarely can get the ones with holidays in them.

Here's a question for anyone out there.....if you have used Aer Lingus and changed planes in Dublin, do you have to get your luggage and go through customs there and then again when you get off the plane in London?

All accounts in Cruise Critic is that DUB is easy to navigate, and that EI provide good inflight service quality. The bottom line I think is

$350/ea one way on Aer Lingus

$850/ea return (and throw away half) on UA/CO/BA

Archived