Any Recent Success at Bridge Tours

Nezmo

Why? As long as the guests are quiet and stand out of the way, it's not a big deal. It would just be fun to watch. I don't think the bridge crew sees it as "intensive", just as part of their job. A well trained bridge crew won't be "intense". They will be concentrating on their job, but they also have lots of experience and the pilot will be there too. The bridge crew is also not running around. Everyone has their station to work at and observers who are on the bridge are not in the way as long as they stay where they've been asked to.
I stand corrected. ;)

Ever been in a cockpit jump-seat while they're landing a plane?

I kinda had that ambiance in mind.

I stand corrected. ;)

Ever been in a cockpit jump-seat while they're landing a plane?

I kinda had that ambiance in mind.

That's a strange comparison. Why would you compare the two? They are totally different. If so, you could say the same thing about having a front seat passenger in a car. My DH says while it requires the crew to pay attention, just like driving does, it's not intensive at all, unless the seas are really rough, and while you wouldn't want a crowd on the bridge at that time, a few people wouldn't be a problem.

I'm surprised they'd allow bystanders on the bridge

at an 'intensive' time like entering port.

I need to apologise for my huge screw-up.

Terribly sorry. Won't happen again.

Terribly sorry.....I'll just go to my room now.

I had read on the message boards how folks were able to get a tour by writing to the Captain. I wrote a personalized note to the Captain on the Princess Crown last year since it was the wife's birthday and left it at the purser's desk. Mid-way thru the cruise I received a very apologetic reply that a tour was not possible due to security policies.

I need to apologise for my huge screw-up.

Terribly sorry. Won't happen again.

Terribly sorry.....I'll just go to my room now.

Don't be such a baby. Weren't you telling us how you couldn't understand how it could happen? So, you didn't want anyone to disagree with you? I guess my DH's 28+ years as a US Naval Officer means he has no clue what he's talking about. And a Surface Warfare Officer who has driven ships at that? He also said, if there was a problem with someone on the bridge, they would tell them to leave. Not a big deal. He's been on ships where there have been guests observing, usually for professional reasons, but not always and it's never been a problem.

And, "ambience" was your reason? That's an interesting word to use.

BTW, have you been in the jump seat in a cockpit of a plane? We have friends who were Navy pilots and now fly commercial. They would tell you it's not intense and if it was, it wouldn't be a good thing.

Btw, we used to live in Brandon. (Crossgates on Cherry Drive)

Small world.

Sorry to jump in with an unrelated cruise topic, but this jumped out at me . . . my mother, who passed away 3 years ago, grew up in Brandon, then moved back there when I was in college. they lived in Crossgates also but I can't remember the street name. It is a small world indeed!

LOL, at the risk of having BND unload on me too (do you guys have a history or something?!?), I also am surprised that they'd allow "non-combatants" on the bridge during ANY time other than routine "just-steaming-along-well-out-to-sea" times. When I was on Norwegian Gem last year not only were there no bridge tours at any time (to my knowledge) but when we were entering port they closed the bridge viewing window curtains so we couldn't even watch the procedure through the (presumably) bullet- and blast-resistant windows. I assume that was for security reasons -- indicating that FOR SOME REASON they are more concerned with the security of the bridge during port entry than at other times. Which frankly doesn't strike me as odd, in the least, a 90k+ gross ton ship being not the easiest thing in the world to stop.

Sorry to jump in with an unrelated cruise topic, but this jumped out at me . . . my mother, who passed away 3 years ago, grew up in Brandon, then moved back there when I was in college. they lived in Crossgates also but I can't remember the street name. It is a small world indeed!

A lovely small town. We were only there 3 years before we got transferred..but we loved it!

Enjoy your Miracle cruise!!!!

Archived