Buffet Beauty?

badtwin

So I admit this topic is a bit tongue in cheek and based on a suggestion to start a new thread in response to an earlier post I made

I was chuckling as I read this because of my recent hair experience on a cruise. My sister and I are 50 something with color treated, short hair. Neither of us uses much product for styling. We went on a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean and after a few days of salt water and sun and we both had really dry and unmanageable hair. We had not thought to bring a serious conditioner. Then I recalled one of those "Beauty in the Kitchen" articles from 17 Magazine way back when that suggested mayonnaise. We went to the burger bar and grabbed a few packets each, massaged it in, waited a few minutes and then shampooed. It worked wonders.

So now I am trying to think of all those other suggestions from 17 so I can pack less and just get my beauty products from the buffet. Wasn't there something about tea bags or cucumber slices for puffy eyes?

After reading some of these topics I decided some of us are taking fashion and beauty far too seriously and we need to lighten up. I mean, do any of us really recall if our table mates already wore that dress. And besides, how many of these people are we ever going to see again?

Therefore, in the spirit of fun and lightening the suitcase load, what are some other “beauty products” we can get from the buffet?

mayo is fab for dry hair...also pure olive oil..if extremely dry. cukes will relieve puffs, tea has tanic acid in it for many ails. A sunburn can be relieved as well..Oatmeal scrub..mix with surgar n honey..sugar is round in its crystal formation, and only slightly abrades/rather exfoliates topical dead skin layer. honey goos it together..and the oat meal is a good scrub..and will refresh..finish up w/ cukes. a dash of vanilla will make it smell great..mashed up avacado is a good mask.after a hot water shampoo..rinse with pure cold water, to close the cuticle(outer layer of hair shaft) it will lay down..and with that,the acid in lemon/vinegar..gets rid of the soap film also and it becomes shiney..ya dont need that $250 rolly iron brushy thing on TV!!!!!

On one cruise when I forgot my bra, I made one from two iceburg lettuce leaves. :D

Either sugar or salt make great shower scrubs for exfoliation.

If you spill red wine on your clothes, pour white white over it, to get rid of the stain.

Really? Like what????

is not the better choice as an exfoliant..it is jagged in its chemical structure and will be too abrasive..as sugar is round in its shape, and is perfect e, for rolling off dead skin layers...= babeebutt skin

is not the better choice as an exfoliant..it is jagged in its chemical structure and will be too abrasive..as sugar is round in its shape, and is perfect e, for rolling off dead skin layers...= babeebutt skin

Yes and no.

Salt, if it's coarse can be too abrasive. But table salt, from the buffet, is quite fine.

The good thing about salt is that is heals and sanitizes. Like when you go into the ocean and small nicks heal faster.

Sugar, on the other hand, feeds bacteria and fungus. So if for example, you have a rash from the heat or a little bacterial breakout, or some athletes foot, sugar scrub feeds it, while salt scrub kills it.

I think this is one of the most creative threads! Great ideas.

I would just be careful not to try anything too out of the ordinary for the first time on a cruise. You don't want to be on vaca with cucumbers on your eyes during a nap only to wake up & realize you've had an allergic reaction. This did not happen to me on a cruise but I did get red swollen eyes after putting cucumbers on my eyes at home once. And a GF of mine once tried the mayo in the hair trick & she couldn't wash her hair enough to get the greasiness out. Everyone's different & some are little more wise when it comes to experimenting, but just thought I'd mention those 2 experiences.

Archived