Delta Change Schedule Again and Again

HKG

Delta does this all the time. They just did this to us splitting my wife, son and I up all over the plane with an equipment change. Since there are no open seats left they told me we are SOL.

They do not guarantee seats only the reservation even though prior to the equipment change we had 3 seats together.

When there is an equipment change, you get a new seating layout. Sometimes, it's fitting a square peg into a round hole. For example, a 737 is 3-3, while an MD-88 is 3-2. Where do all of those "sixth" passengers in a row go??

As for your flight....were you all on one locator or three separate reservations? If the latter, then there is no way the airline would know that you are together, unless you specifically asked to have them linked. Even then, there is only so much that can be done to keep passengers "together".

From an old thread (that summed it up nicely) we have the words of Globaliser:

No airline will ever guarantee you the allocation of any particular seat, even after you have checked in. Some airlines are more explicit than others about making this clear.
and of Shorex:
I just realized why this misconception (that a specific airline seat is guaranteed once initially assigned) is so wide spread. If I buy a ticket to see a production of Hamlet and my ticket is for seat M19, then seat M19 will be there waiting for me. (Unless there are irregular ops, such as a strike by stage hands.) Same for a ticket to a baseball game or the opera. The ticket-buying public (who doesn't fly much) assumes that the airline guarantees your "seat" on the plane in the same way the theater guarantees your "seat".

were you all on one locator or three separate reservations?

We are under one reservation. The plane went from 757 to a 737 so you still have basically the same layout, 6 across just less rows. Not sure why they need to put a 10 year old off by strangers.

They flagged the reservation due to the issue but said they may not be able to even get him near one of us since the plane is sold out.

Actually I just checked on line and was able to get my wife and son on two seats next to each other. I realize seats are not set, I have been flying for years and always used to jump seat. I would think the reservation systems should have a way to flag a child and keep at least 1 parent with them.

Of course I know what happens when you assume.

Actually I just checked on line and was able to get my wife and son on two seats next to each other. I realize seats are not set, I have been flying for years and always used to jump seat. I would think the reservation systems should have a way to flag a child and keep at least 1 parent with them.

Of course I know what happens when you assume.

This is a way to flag the res when a child under 14 is traveling. When you made the reservation did you check the box that one passenger is 14 or under? If so, DL made an error in separating a child from a parent. If not, you can tell them to flag the res so if equipment is changed again (stuff happens) you will not be separated.

If so, DL made an error in separating a child from a parent.

Yes the box was checked and he has flowm before and has built up sky miles to where he can almost get his own free ticket.

The best part when I called to try to resolve I asked them to move some one so one of us could sit next to him. They responded by saying "We cannot do that as someone has booked that seat." And then they went ahead to remind me that a seat reservation is not guaranteed. :confused::confused::confused:

The other part that makes their logic even better is our original seats (row etc)we booked were then given to someone else which we had booked. Which takes me back to the original thought that if a seat is not a guarantee then move someone.

I gave up at that point and figured I would check the reservation online daily and swipe someone else's seats at some point when they do a time change or another equipment change.

happy2cruise4 fun....

We are in the same boat as you are. In January we knew that the prices of the airline tickets were high from Dallas to Venice and Barcelona back to Dallas. We booked anyway for 10 people so we could all sit together on the two seat side.....5 rows of 2 seats.

I could have waited unti March or April and took the seats in the middle and all of our group be spread out and get a cheaper price; but we did not. It was worth it to us to have all of our group and kids together. I don't think it is right to book a couple of weeks before the flight and then complain because you have bad seats. ( I might be re-thinking this however)

Delta decides to change the last 2 kids in our group and move them to the middle section alone. We were told the computer did it and they can not change it back. They also told us it was an equipment change....which it was NOT. No one else got changed. What happened was some Delta awards Madallion member wanted a seat by the window. They moved our kids to please their awards person. There is nothing we can do about it and I will never be able to prove it.

I told them I will contact the CIA, FBI and NASA since I am sure they are interested in purchasing one of their computers. How great for them to have a one of a kind artifical intelligence computer that does not require programming or human intervention.

We hope the seat may become available, odds are not with us on that though .

Yea, were ticked....what Delta did was wrong.

I do understand seat changes when the plane configuration changes....but this is NOT the case.

If you or anyone has seats on Delta......check them often. Not that there is anything you can do about it if they change you but none the less check it often.

Buying tickets "early" so that you can have seats together is wrong. 'Nuff said. If you thought that you were guaranteed a specific seat assignment, you were/are wrong. 'Nuff said.

As an elite flyer, I'm glad that DL is finally implementing their "move those other folks' butts" program....so that elites can get whatever seat they want on the plane, whenever we want them. It's another one of those undocumented benefits that is used to screw over you common folk. What amazes me is that you were able to figure it out without having gotten the secret handshake and decoder ring. But, as you say, you'll never be able to prove it.

BTW, the very top level elites get free transfers at ATL via black helicopters. Makes it easier to get from concourse to concourse. I'm still working to make that level.

Quote: They also told us it was an equipment change....which it was NOT.

Delta has, I believe, five different versions of 767's. Thus it is possible to change equipment from a 767 to a different 767. Additionally, DL is incorporating NW metal into their routes. It is common, especially this year, for DL to have equipment changes, with or without much advance notice.

No one else got changed.

While no one else in your party got changed, it would not be surprising to find that other passengers on the same flight were re-assigned to different seats.

What happened was some Delta awards Madallion member wanted a seat by the window.

Um, no. As one of the NW/DL medallions, we do have some seat selection advantages. We have access to exit rows and "preferred seats" before non-medallions. The "preferred seats" tend to be toward the front of the plane where frequent flyers prefer to sit. However, we do not displace anyone who already has an assigned seat.

Maybe poor customer service. It is true that keeping large groups together is not something they do well.

happy2cruise4 fun....

We are in the same boat as you are. In January we knew that the prices of the airline tickets were high from Dallas to Venice and Barcelona back to Dallas. We booked anyway for 10 people so we could all sit together on the two seat side.....5 rows of 2 seats.

I could have waited unti March or April and took the seats in the middle and all of our group be spread out and get a cheaper price; but we did not. It was worth it to us to have all of our group and kids together. I don't think it is right to book a couple of weeks before the flight and then complain because you have bad seats. ( I might be re-thinking this however)

Delta decides to change the last 2 kids in our group and move them to the middle section alone. We were told the computer did it and they can not change it back. They also told us it was an equipment change....which it was NOT. No one else got changed. What happened was some Delta awards Madallion member wanted a seat by the window. They moved our kids to please their awards person. There is nothing we can do about it and I will never be able to prove it.

I told them I will contact the CIA, FBI and NASA since I am sure they are interested in purchasing one of their computers. How great for them to have a one of a kind artifical intelligence computer that does not require programming or human intervention.

We hope the seat may become available, odds are not with us on that though .

I do understand seat changes when the plane configuration changes....but this is NOT the case.

If you or anyone has seats on Delta......check them often. Not that there is anything you can do about it if they change you but none the less check it often.

Hi,

If that happened to our group, I'd be frustrated, too!

We are flying from 2 different cities to Europe (on NWA) and we all paid a little more to fly on most of the same flights, get window seats together, and have the best connections, especially me coming from further away. Shortly after we booked, they made equipment changes and seat changes on all our domestic legs, making one of my comfortable connections a tad less comfortable. And the price went down, too. Fortunately, the seats they switched us to were good and the int'l flights have not changed...yet.

In this economic season, I think it's probably best to book later and just accept the undesirable seats. It's too bad that the early bird no longer gets the worm when it comes to air travel these days.

WOW! I never knew they would change people's seats once they are selected & reserved & paid for. That would be awful esp on a long flight or with minors...Guess we'll have to check every other day just to make sure...

We also booked a RT Rome flight far ahead. Then our flight time home changed (as it did last time we took DELTA) which we discovered on our own so we had to stay an extra day in Rome to make sure we'd make the flight...

Then our price went down by almost 50%...they did give us a credit in the form of vouchers...after deducting the $400 in change fees..maybe we can used the voucher for our next cruise--if they are still in business....

Based on this & all the other work needed to cruise in Europe this will be our last-- & DELTA is starting to make SW Air look great!

No one else got changed. What happened was some Delta awards Madallion member wanted a seat by the window. They moved our kids to please their awards person. There is nothing we can do about it and I will never be able to prove it.

Why would you think this happened? I assume you have no status with DL and thus, the seats you selected were not the preferred ones, that is, ones that a Medallion member would be able to choose, and the general public would not. DL would not take your window seat for this.

As already written hundreds of times, having a seat assignment is no guarantee you will actually get to sit in that seat. Keep checking your reservations, because as it gets close to flight time, people will change seats, cancel reservations or be upgraded, thus opening up other seats.

Buying tickets "early" so that you can have seats together is wrong. 'Nuff said. If you thought that you were guaranteed a specific seat assignment, you were/are wrong. 'Nuff said.

As an elite flyer, I'm glad that DL is finally implementing their "move those other folks' butts" program....so that elites can get whatever seat they want on the plane, whenever we want them. It's another one of those undocumented benefits that is used to screw over you common folk. What amazes me is that you were able to figure it out without having gotten the secret handshake and decoder ring. But, as you say, you'll never be able to prove it.

BTW, the very top level elites get free transfers at ATL via black helicopters. Makes it easier to get from concourse to concourse. I'm still working to make that level.

I don't frequent this board very much-- only when I have DELTA dilemas, but are you being sarcastic or is this your true opinion? I really can't tell!

WOW! I never knew they would change people's seats once they are selected & reserved & paid for. That would be awful esp on a long flight or with minors...Guess we'll have to check every other day just to make sure...
Go back and re-read post #26 in this thread. Globaliser and Shorex nailed it for you.
We also booked a RT Rome flight far ahead. Then our flight time home changed (as it did last time we took DELTA) which we discovered on our own so we had to stay an extra day in Rome to make sure we'd make the flight...
Flight times change. Fact of life. If you booked something upfront that had a tight time tolerance, you always run that risk.
Then our price went down by almost 50%...they did give us a credit in the form of vouchers...after deducting the $400 in change fees..maybe we can used the voucher for our next cruise--if they are still in business....
You were on a non-refundable ticket, and the change fees are part of making....guess what...a change!! Fairly standard in the industry.
Based on this & all the other work needed to cruise in Europe this will be our last-- & DELTA is starting to make SW Air look great!
Sometimes it takes some effort to get somewhere. Do a search and see some of the gyrations that Greatam had to do for some of her recent travels. If going to Europe is too much trouble, then don't do it. Your choice - no one is forcing anything on you.
don't frequent this board very much-- only when I have DELTA dilemas, but are you being sarcastic or is this your true opinion? I really can't tell!
Getting knowlege before the dilemmas can often forestall them. And was I being serious? Read the thirteenth and fourteenth words of the last paragraph in that post and decide.

I don't frequent this board very much-- only when I have DELTA dilemas, but are you being sarcastic or is this your true opinion? I really can't tell!

I couldn't tell either.

With the exception of there being an equipment change, I've never had my selected seat changed on me in all my years of airplane travel, so I don't understand when people say your seat assignment is never guaranteed:confused:

I couldn't tell either.

With the exception of there being an equipment change, I've never had my selected seat changed on me in all my years of airplane travel, so I don't understand when people say your seat assignment is never guaranteed:confused:

It means exactly what it says. Your seat assignment is never guaranteed. All airlines have what is called a Contract of Carriage, which you agree to when you purchase a ticket. You can find all of them on each airline's webpages. If you are willing to wade through all the pages, you will find the airline states that they have the right to change your seat assignment.

I couldn't tell either.

Then you are really lucky. I've had seat assignments change, flight schedules change, equipment changes, etc on multiple airlines over the years. I've even had seat assignments change after I've checked in for a flight due to a last minute equipment change. So I've learned to constantly watch my reservations.

The part that upset me about all this was the three of us getting split up on the plane and each of us in 1/3 sections of the plane with my son (10) sitting between strangers in the back of the plane.

Could have been two people who just walked away from some adult rehab camp for all we knew. I understand rows and seats are not set, only space on the plane is all you are purchasing. But the system should keep reservations together, if not it is poor programing on the Delta IT/developers part.

Then you are really lucky. I've had seat assignments change, flight schedules change, equipment changes, etc on multiple airlines over the years. I've even had seat assignments change after I've checked in for a flight due to a last minute equipment change. So I've learned to constantly watch my reservations.

I must have been lucky then...as far as the seating goes.

Since I started flying rugularly (mid 90's) I only recall a couple minor schedule changes (not more than 20 min), hardly any equipment changes-maybe 1, only 1 canceled flight (at CDG w/Air France go figure) and no seat changes!...until last week. But I've definitely had flights running late and missed 1 connection.

But in all fairness, more than half my flights were between LAX to MSP on NWA and that airline has had a very good record of not changing flights between those cities. They have also been very much on time. Now waiting for your luggage on the carousel in MSP...that's another story.

I'm sure if I'd been thru all that you have, I'd be watching closely, too (and I am now).

The part that upset me about all this was the three of us getting split up on the plane and each of us in 1/3 sections of the plane with my son (10) sitting between strangers in the back of the plane.

Could have been two people who just walked away from some adult rehab camp for all we knew. I understand rows and seats are not set, only space on the plane is all you are purchasing. But the system should keep reservations together, if not it is poor programing on the Delta IT/developers part.

Perhaps some kind passenger(s) will play musical chairs so that one of you adults can sit with your 10 yr old son. I've seen it done before.

:)

What exactly do you think will happen to your son if he's sitting between two strangers on an airplane? I am not sure what an "adult rehab camp" is, but if you are referring to substance abusers, I don't think they have a high rate of bothering children.

I have two children and two stepchildren that have flown by themselves often, since they were about five or six and they've done fine. At least you are on the same plane.

You will probably be able to switch seats with someone if this doesn't get straightened out, but don't expect someone to take a middle seat and give you their aisle seat!

What exactly do you think will happen to your son if he's sitting between two strangers on an airplane? I am not sure what an "adult rehab camp" is, but if you are referring to substance abusers, I don't think they have a high rate of bothering children.

I have two children and two stepchildren that have flown by themselves often, since they were about five or six and they've done fine. At least you are on the same plane.

You will probably be able to switch seats with someone if this doesn't get straightened out, but don't expect someone to take a middle seat and give you their aisle seat!

Who knows what will happen. Probably nothing but why leave it to chance. There are enough crazy morons in this world and there is no reason to leave yourself an easy target. Not going to respond to the other comments you made as this issues will just keep going on.

If you read earlier I was able to get my wife and son together so this is a dead issue.

I am currently looking for a flight on Delta from Richmond(ric) to Miami(MIA) in September. I went to Delta website and checked what flights they had and then went to Orbitz and saw times that Delta didn't have on there website.

I would rather have my connection in Atlanta instead of Cincinnati.

So what gives, which website is correct? I haven't called delta yet.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Ken, you can go to Northwest and see what comes up there too. It may well show up as Delta metal with differing itineraries. I just booked a couple of flights with the itineraries I preferred on Delta doing it through the back door. You can actually do this with an Sky Team partner.

This search also works for reward tickets.

Delta can be really frustrating in this regard. Another reservation I booked last week was done as one ways. The price was the same as a round trip but the combo never was bookable on their site.

Give it a try and good luck.

Sometimes, the DL website will return different options depending on whether you have asked to search for price or schedule. Personally, I do my searches first on ITA and then try to price it out on the airline site. Lots of options don't show if you do a "by price" search. That often just finds a couple of cheap options with short connections. Try creating your own connects, perhaps with a multi-city approach, and see the results.

Archived