Weather/Clothing Late June/Early July Cruise?

keishashadow

im being 'drug' to alaska:p, my idea of vacationing is FLA or caribbean cruise

TA telling me it'll be near 70 degrees during the day:rolleyes:, seems inflated to me

im finding moreso high 50's to low 60's during day & possibly in mid 40's @night? brrr lol

help me decide what to take:confused:, jeans or athletic pants sweats during day

im catching the layering idea, just not sure as to rain issues & footwear.

have orthotic issues, typically wear crocs or sturdy tennis shoes on excursions, do have a pair of EMU boots (think UGGlike) that im beginning to think would be in peril of getting trashed if muddy/rainy in port or would i be safe if i waterproof them?

You need to be prepared for a WIDE range of weather. During your week, you WILL need jeans and tshirts, but you will also need the lined jacket, knit hat and gloves. Rain gear, is at least, a good, long poncho, and 2 pair of walking shoes.

You can not count on the high temps.

My trip starts in the middle of July. Princess cruisetour ending in Fairbanks. Planning on "normal activities". Walk around the ports. Maybe walk one of the trials at Mendenhall Glacier. Train/bus excursion at Skagway. Zip-Line?

Will sneakers work or should I purchase a pair of some kind of waterproof walking/hiking shoes?

Everyone says to dress in layers. Does t-shirt/sweater/jacket work or should I add a shirt?

Should my jacket be a waterproof "shell" or should my jacket also provide additional warmth.

My trip starts in the middle of July. Princess cruisetour ending in Fairbanks. Planning on "normal activities". Walk around the ports. Maybe walk one of the trials at Mendenhall Glacier. Train/bus excursion at Skagway. Zip-Line?

Will sneakers work or should I purchase a pair of some kind of waterproof walking/hiking shoes?

Everyone says to dress in layers. Does t-shirt/sweater/jacket work or should I add a shirt?

Should my jacket be a waterproof "shell" or should my jacket also provide additional warmth.

Your "hot" potential in July is Fairbanks. Sneakers are fine, as long as they are leather, if doable, give them a couple waterproof sprays. , layers means that, with no limit on numbers. Add and take away depending on YOUR comfort. You need some kind of waterproof outer wear. But I wouldn't be purchasing anything that you can't later use.

Here's what I did and it worked just fine. If you're talking leather "sneakers" you can waterproof them yourself. Walmart and all kinds of places sell a spray on water proofing. Take the shoes outside, spray a good coat of the waterproofing all over the shoes, let dry (over night best), repeat. I just did 2 coats, know people who did 3 coats. You can use this on jeans and backpacks, etc. The can will tell you what fabrics it works with. Realize that it does wear off (and wash off), but it's a good, cheap way to do what need doing.

Should I expect rain? It can take a few days for my sneakers to try after an afternoon Florida thunderstorm. I'm trying to decide if I should purchase some kind of waterproof walking/hiking shoe. I guess I need 2 pairs of "walking shoes".

I have a couple of waterproof jackets. Am I better off bringing one that's lined (warmer) jacket or just a shell. I'm thinking the lightweight jacket may make more sense since I may be wearing a sweater with it.

Should I expect rain? It can take a few days for my sneakers to try after an afternoon Florida thunderstorm. I'm trying to decide if I should purchase some kind of waterproof walking/hiking shoe. I guess I need 2 pairs of "walking shoes".

I have a couple of waterproof jackets. Am I better off bringing one that's lined (warmer) jacket or just a shell. I'm thinking the lightweight jacket may make more sense since I may be wearing a sweater with it.

Most certainly you can expect rain, it's the major reason I always recommend two pair of walking shoes.

A "trick" for encouraging drying is to place a hand towel, in each shoe. The wicking action drys out damp shoes much faster.

We toured/cruised last year in mid-June...I took jeans, knit long sleeve tops, fleece jacket and vests (lots of inexpensive fleece for sale in Alaska gift shops if you don't have much!), knit gloves, comfortable walking/hiking shoes, rain skicker, Gore Tex pants. We were as far north as Fairbanks and wore shorts there-it was in the 70's and our warmest spot, just like BQ said above.

ps - i've found newspaper stuffed in wet shoes to work excellent overnight in drying out sneakers, we always have some stuffed in suitcases

okay, ponchos we've got;) hadn't planned (much @ all lol), glad i asked re gloves, etc.

re bathing suit/coverup-usually i wear a heavy gauze type, will i freeze getting to covered pool?:confused:we're far aft could go up last set of elevators on NCL Star

i am hoping that the pubic area are heated, assume it'll be frosty on balcony, anybody pack a throw to ward off the chill?

Hi again,

No, did not take a throw-you need to keep in mind the luggage costs on airlines now, so best not to overpack. You might also want to take a knit hat or ear warmers for those chilly times on deck, in addition to the gloves. Took a bathing suit but never used it!

Mid July to mid August are my favourite time for going to Alaska and yes you can have some hi 60 to low 70's weather, that is not guaranteed.:D Pack lots of cool weather clothing and a water/windproof jacket, some leather shoes that have been sprayed with waterproofing but also throw in a pair of short and some Croc's (which I now live in) in case you luck out.

Hi again,

No, did not take a throw-you need to keep in mind the luggage costs on airlines now, so best not to overpack. You might also want to take a knit hat or ear warmers for those chilly times on deck, in addition to the gloves. Took a bathing suit but never used it!

yet another reason to luv southwest airlines;)

i was thinking one of those lightweight microfiber throws, just a few ounces - i usually drag one on plane anyway.

i'll plan for mid 50's jik, & buy everybody an extra set of under armour:D thanks all

Dress in layers, so as the weather changes, you can add or take off clothing. I will bring a couple of heavy thick chamois shirts, a microfiber vest, my Columbia rain jacket and pants(to slip over my jeans to cut the windchill on ship) caps, gloves, and waterproof hiking boots from Cabelas, which I don't have to spray. Bring a swimsuit for the indoor pool on ship, and soaking in the hot tubs, and some shorts. While my raingear in thin and light, it will keep out the wind, and it's what I wear under it that will be warm, t-shirt, chamois shirt, and vest. You will probably be more cold on ship than on land, as the ship is moving at a pretty good clip, and thus you will feel the windchill from that whenever you are outside on deck. I'm from Minnesota, so I have most of this gear already, and know what works and what doesn't. You can't beat good quality outdoor gear when you need to keep warm or keep cool!

i just drove past cabellas on drive down to wheeling, WV, this weekend...knew i should of stoped lol

think i'll go in search of rain jackets. i do have a heavier version that is lined in pile, yet it's so hot/heavy i rarely wear it...may just be the thing here

i did book a balcony, although everybody keeps indicating we won't be on it when in glacier territory & must be on deck in order to not miss anything? i confess to secretly hoping it might be a tad warmer sitting on deck chair there/some wind break jik we get too cold?

Archived