Soverign of the Seas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Yes, the Sovereign of the Seas was the first modern very large cruise ship (first ship with a large atrium, glass elevators, etc.) I cruised aboard the Sovereign in summer 1988 (when she was only about six months old) and again in 1995. The Sovereign was a very trendsetting ship. It is hard to believe that the ship is now 22 years old!

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

I cruised on her in 89 or so and loved it. I had only cruised once previously and it was on the Carnival Tropicale. Boy what a difference. I also cruised the Sovereign when she started doing the Bahama's 3 and 4 night cruises in the mid 90's or so. I took my mom and it was her very first cruise. We had a spectacular time. The Sovereign will hold a special place for me as my mom recently passed and now I have these type of special memories.

• 2 weeks later...

Ship+Photo+SOVEREIGN+OF+THE+SEAS.jpg

ms Sovereign of the Seas (1988-present) Built in 1988 as ms Sovereign of the Seas by Chantiers de l'Atlantique, St. Nazaire, France for Miami-based Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL). She was the lead ship of a three-ship (Sovereign) class, her sisters being Monarch of the Seas (1991) and Majesty of the Seas (1992). They were the first modern megaships to be built and the first series of cruise ships to include a multi-story atrium with glass elevators. They also had a single deck consisting entirely of cabins with private balconies instead of oceanview cabins.

Ship+Photo+Sovereign+Of+The+Seas.jpg

After having been delivered to her new owners on 19 December 1987, she then crossed the Atlantic to Miami, Fl. She was christened and named by her godmother, Rosalyn Carter, wife of former U.S. President Jimmy Carter on 15 January 1988. At the time of her maiden voyage on 16 January 1988, she was the largest cruise ship in the world at 73,192 gross tons. She held that record until 1990 when the ss Norway succeeded her after being refurbished with the addition of two more decks.

RCCL initially operated Sovereign OTS out of Miami, Fl on seven-night Eastern Caribbean cruises. Later on during her RCI career, she operated on three and four-night sailings to the Bahamas, also from Miami. In 2006 however, she switched her home base to Port Canaveral, Fl with a smilar itinerary. Besides Nassau, these cruises also visited CocoCay (Little Stirrup Cay), RCI's (Royal Caribbean International - name change in 1997) privately-owned island in the Berry Islands

Ship+Photo+SOVEREIGN.jpg

In October 2007, RCI announced that Sovereign of the Seas would receive an internal transfer to the fleet of their subsidiary, Spanish-based Pullmantur Cruises in November 2008. Sovereign of the Seas' last scheduled sailing for Royal Caribbean International was on 31 October 2008 and in November 2008, her sister Monarch of the Seas assumed her sailings out of Port Canaveral.

Ship+Photo+SOVEREIGN.jpg

The ship received a refit and a new name 'Sovereign'. Beginning in March 2009, she has been operating Mediterranean cruises for Pullmantur out of Barcelona, Spain.

Ship+Photo+SOVEREIGN.jpg

[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/"http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/815948/Ship+Photo+SOVEREIGN.jpg&quot][/url]

• 4 weeks later...

This was my first ship back in 1992. At the time the largest cruise ship afloat. I stepped onboard and fell in love with cruising. DH and I sailed her 6 times over the years. She was amazing for her time. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It was our first cruise in 2002 out of Port Canaveral (cooper, I think you may have your dates wrong.) We sailed to Nassau and Cococay on a 4 nighter. Got us hooked on cruising and RCI.

You are right-we did go to Key West on her in 1999, but we sailed out of Miami. Majesty of the Seas does that cruise now. In 2001 we sailed Sovereign of the seas for a second time from Pt. Canaveral-no Key west. Instead of Key West you get a sea day.

So anyway, it had to be more than 5 years unless they cruised Majesty of the Seas. They are sister ships-so perhaps they were confused.

We sailed on the "Grand Finale" of the Sovereign in Oct 08. If you'd like a commemorative T-Shirt, one of our fellow Cruise Critics (Flying Pirate) designed a shirt and is available at Cafe Press. Just Google that and then enter Sovereign of the Seas and you'll see the shirts, mugs, etc.

• 1 month later...

My first cruise was aboard the Sovereign. I was able to sail on her both before and after her refurbishment that was detailed on the TV show Dry Dock: A Cruise Ship Reborn. It was really interesting to see all of the changes in person that I had watched on the show.

Has anyone else seen that show? I'm still trying to get a copy of it; no one seems to have it.

My first cruise was aboard the Sovereign. I was able to sail on her both before and after her refurbishment that was detailed on the TV show Dry Dock: A Cruise Ship Reborn. It was really interesting to see all of the changes in person that I had watched on the show.

Has anyone else seen that show? I'm still trying to get a copy of it; no one seems to have it.

I taped the 2 hour version on vhs. But I guess that's not much help.

• 1 month later...

We live just south of Port Canaveral. So we tried a cruise of the Sovereign of the Seas in 2008. I know at one time it was the largest cruise ship on the seas. Unfortunately for us there was a lot wrong with our stateroom and then with the stateroom we were moved to. It was our only experience with RCCL. We may try them again sometime. For now we will stick with Carnival. This was not intended to be a RCCL bashing post just our singular experience on RCCL.

ms Sovereign of the Seas (1988-present) Built in 1988 as ms Sovereign of the Seas by Chantiers de l'Atlantique, St. Nazaire, France for Miami-based Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL). She was the lead ship of a three-ship (Sovereign) class, her sisters being Monarch of the Seas (1991) and Majesty of the Seas (1992). They were the first modern megaships to be built and the first series of cruise ships to include a multi-story atrium with glass elevators. They also had a single deck consisting entirely of cabins with private balconies instead of oceanview cabins.

Ship+Photo+Sovereign+Of+The+Seas.jpg

After having been delivered to her new owners on 19 December 1987, she then crossed the Atlantic to Miami, Fl. She was christened and named by her godmother, Rosalyn Carter, wife of former U.S. President Jimmy Carter on 15 January 1988. At the time of her maiden voyage on 16 January 1988, she was the largest cruise ship in the world at 73,192 gross tons. She held that record until 1990 when the ss Norway succeeded her after being refurbished with the addition of two more decks.

RCCL initially operated Sovereign OTS out of Miami, Fl on seven-night Eastern Caribbean cruises. Later on during her RCI career, she operated on three and four-night sailings to the Bahamas, also from Miami. In 2006 however, she switched her home base to Port Canaveral, Fl with a smilar itinerary. Besides Nassau, these cruises also visited CocoCay (Little Stirrup Cay), RCI's (Royal Caribbean International - name change in 1997) privately-owned island in the Berry Islands

Ship+Photo+SOVEREIGN.jpg

In October 2007, RCI announced that Sovereign of the Seas would receive an internal transfer to the fleet of their subsidiary, Spanish-based Pullmantur Cruises in November 2008. Sovereign of the Seas' last scheduled sailing for Royal Caribbean International was on 31 October 2008 and in November 2008, her sister Monarch of the Seas assumed her sailings out of Port Canaveral.

Ship+Photo+SOVEREIGN.jpg

The ship received a refit and a new name 'Sovereign'. Beginning in March 2009, she has been operating Mediterranean cruises for Pullmantur out of Barcelona, Spain.

Ship+Photo+SOVEREIGN.jpg

Thanks for all those pictures Marine......Semper Fi.....

Bob

Archived