Pacific Coast *Jumping Ship* is this OKAY or will it work?

realent

We have a cruise booked on the Zuiderdam on 5/6/09 through 5/9/09. LA to Vancouver.

We originally booked the Westerdam one night on 5/9/09 Vancouver to Seattle but cancelled that as it was in violation of the Jones Act.

Today I booked a Princess Ship to leave on 5/9, the same day we arrive on the HAL ship, to travel Vancouver to Seattle.

I think it is in violation by not staying the night but do you think because we are changing cruiselines that anyone will pick up on it and not allow us to sail?

Has anyone done this? Any thoughts???

You should be fine. The PVSA states that a ship (read that to be one particular ship, not a combination of ships) cannot transport passengers from one US port to a different US port without stopping in a distant foreign port. Since Vancouver is not a distant foreign port you cannot do your itinerary if you were to stay on the same ship, but switching ships makes if perfectly fine.

"The PVSA states that a ship (read that to be one particular ship, not a combination of ships) cannot transport passengers from one US port to a different US port"

Since when is Vancouver a US port?:rolleyes:

As far as I know, it still belongs to us Canadians.

"The PVSA states that a ship (read that to be one particular ship, not a combination of ships) cannot transport passengers from one US port to a different US port"

Actually, it belongs to the Chinese!

It is because the OP wants to go between LA and Seattle, 2 US ports.

Nancy,

People do what you describe all the time, but you can't be making an issue of it and trying to get written permission to do so, because it is a violation of the PSA. Technically, you have to stay the 24 hours, which is why HAL would not allow you to switch ships. Book the HAL cruise with you as primary on the booking, book the Princess cruise with your DH as primary, and it is highly unlikely that anyone will connect the dots. You might even see other pax doing what you do. Just don't blatently advertise it, because if you do, Princess might have to deny you boarding. If you don't tell, they won't ask. They have no way of knowing you did not just fly in to Vancouver unless you make an issue of it.

I called Princess and they will allow it. It is okay as long as you change cruiselines, not just ships.

I do agree with the *don't ask to many questions* theory and I do like the idea of swapping the lead passenger name..

I am talking with the Maritime Cabotage task force in Washington DC.

I really need to know what that law is for my clients. It is one thing if I get stranded in Vancouver... no big deal.. I can deal with that. Quite another if my clients can't get onboard!

Archived