Is Barbados Safe?

LarimarLuvr

We will be cruising to Barbados shortly- this is our first cruise. I am pretty familiar with many of the Caribbean islands, but not Barbados and am very excited to visit. My partner and I prefer to experience a place and the locals personally- we like to walk around, enjoy the atmosphere, the beauty, and see what we can find that will amaze us. I love to shop (NOT duty-free, but for local items/jewellery), snorkel and have a drink/relax on the beach as well. I have traveled to quite a few places so I hope that I do not stick out like a sore thumb, however, being tall and blonde, it tends to happen at some locales. With that said I never visit a destination blindly- I always do my research.

So, I researched a little about Barbados intending to learn more about Christ Church and the beaches. What came up was honestly, terrifying. I was appalled at what I read. Let me say I understand crime is everywhere, however, after being a long-time visitor to the BVI crime is virtually not an issue. Tourists may travel, safely and comfortably. So maybe I am a little "spoiled" in my older age.

My concern regarding Barbados' crime is the blatant insanity of it all and lack of any Government care, intervention or enforcement. Forget at this point about petty theft- the rapes, the issues of cruise tourists being robbed by machete, couples being held up at gun point and one lady put into a coma after being assaulted from behind on Long Beach with a 2x4 and eventually passing in March- was horrfying. One person even spoke of being violently assaulted by knife point and running to nearby homes, only to be left standing in the streets screaming- no one would help her. It seems that many Bajans are grossly upset, worried, and equally as horrifyed. Many blame a poor Government and illegals that have invaded their country. Many Bajans are crying out for help, support and Government protection.

I have read comment after comment of long-time visitors- some for over 30 years, some with timeshares- that have decided as of 2008/2009 never to return to Barbados due to the crime and danger. After further research, it seems that there is still much unrest regarding whites and tourists, even outright antisemitism (I discovered this when researching about visiting the Synagogue). Yes these issues are almost everywhere and vary in scale, however, I can walk down my street, my town, and in my city and know what I am dealing with/faced with; what my risks are. I know how to protect myself. Here, I am traveling outside my country with apparently very little Government concern regarding tourism and safety so I will take all concerns/incidents into consideration at this point.

One blog, The Barbados Free Press, writes about issues and incidents and allows Bajans to post comments. Otherwise a simple google search on Barbados tourism and crime will yield lots of results. The US warns against violent crime, including rape, and states: "Recently tourists have been targeted during daylight hours on isolated beaches such as Long Beach in Christ Church Parish and Maycocks Beach in St. Lucy Parish. Visitors should avoid these beaches or exercise caution if visiting these and other isolated beaches alone or in small groups".

I understand some of what I have read occurs on isolated beaches, however, many that have been visiting Barbados for years never felt unsafe or came across such violent crimes until this past year. Are the public beaches worth visiting? Especially after a few cruise ships dump off thousands of passengers? What about Bridgetown, Christ Church?

I would love to hear your thoughts, advise, tips/suggestions... and again, it seems that the violent crime has increased greatly from @ 2007/8-present day so if you visited 10 years ago and felt perfectly safe it seems that we may encounter a different Barbados today.

I am sure we all understand that flashing money, bringing lots of stuff (cameras, etc), leaving bags unattended, walking in isolated areas at night (not an option for us anyway), etc invites crime- that is not where my concerns are at the moment.

Appreciate it!

Take care-

We will be cruising to Barbados shortly- this is our first cruise. I am pretty familiar with many of the Caribbean islands, but not Barbados and am very excited to visit. My partner and I prefer to experience a place and the locals personally- we like to walk around, enjoy the atmosphere, the beauty, and see what we can find that will amaze us. I love to shop (NOT duty-free, but for local items/jewellery), snorkel and have a drink/relax on the beach as well. I have traveled to quite a few places so I hope that I do not stick out like a sore thumb, however, being tall and blonde, it tends to happen at some locales. With that said I never visit a destination blindly- I always do my research.

So, I researched a little about Barbados intending to learn more about Christ Church and the beaches. What came up was honestly, terrifying. I was appalled at what I read. Let me say I understand crime is everywhere, however, after being a long-time visitor to the BVI crime is virtually not an issue. Tourists may travel, safely and comfortably. So maybe I am a little "spoiled" in my older age.

My concern regarding Barbados' crime is the blatant insanity of it all and lack of any Government care, intervention or enforcement. Forget at this point about petty theft- the rapes, the issues of cruise tourists being robbed by machete, couples being held up at gun point and one lady put into a coma after being assaulted from behind on Long Beach with a 2x4 and eventually passing in March- was horrfying. One person even spoke of being violently assaulted by knife point and running to nearby homes, only to be left standing in the streets screaming- no one would help her. It seems that many Bajans are grossly upset, worried, and equally as horrifyed. Many blame a poor Government and illegals that have invaded their country. Many Bajans are crying out for help, support and Government protection.

I have read comment after comment of long-time visitors- some for over 30 years, some with timeshares- that have decided as of 2008/2009 never to return to Barbados due to the crime and danger. After further research, it seems that there is still much unrest regarding whites and tourists, even outright antisemitism (I discovered this when researching about visiting the Synagogue). Yes these issues are almost everywhere and vary in scale, however, I can walk down my street, my town, and in my city and know what I am dealing with/faced with; what my risks are. I know how to protect myself. Here, I am traveling outside my country with apparently very little Government concern regarding tourism and safety so I will take all concerns/incidents into consideration at this point.

One blog, The Barbados Free Press, writes about issues and incidents and allows Bajans to post comments. Otherwise a simple google search on Barbados tourism and crime will yield lots of results. The US warns against violent crime, including rape, and states: "Recently tourists have been targeted during daylight hours on isolated beaches such as Long Beach in Christ Church Parish and Maycocks Beach in St. Lucy Parish. Visitors should avoid these beaches or exercise caution if visiting these and other isolated beaches alone or in small groups".

I understand some of what I have read occurs on isolated beaches, however, many that have been visiting Barbados for years never felt unsafe or came across such violent crimes until this past year. Are the public beaches worth visiting? Especially after a few cruise ships dump off thousands of passengers? What about Bridgetown, Christ Church?

I would love to hear your thoughts, advise, tips/suggestions... and again, it seems that the violent crime has increased greatly from @ 2007/8-present day so if you visited 10 years ago and felt perfectly safe it seems that we may encounter a different Barbados today.

I am sure we all understand that flashing money, bringing lots of stuff (cameras, etc), leaving bags unattended, walking in isolated areas at night (not an option for us anyway), etc invites crime- that is not where my concerns are at the moment.

Appreciate it!

Take care-

I certainly understand your concern based on the recent events that have transpired on the island. Especially that poor lady from Ottawa may she RIP.

However to say the government is poor and uncaring is NOT a fair comment.

Tourism is the #1 money earner for Barbados so we do no take attacks on visitors to our island lightly. Tourism is what keeps our economy going. In fact I have a friend who is a member of the police force and believe me THE ENTIRE POLICE FORCE was mobilised when this attack occured and within a week the culprit was caught.

Barbados as a whole is a very safe place to be and even though the US did make mention of the attack on their travel advisory website...they also advised that it is generally very safe to visit Barbados....there was no negative travel advisory given.

The Canadian High Comission here in Barbados also sent out a press release to his countrymen that Barbados was indeed safe and that such an attack as that on this poor lady is more and unfortunate anomaly than the norm.

While I understand your fears and concerns I hope that you will still consider visiting our island with your family. If you have any further questions or concerns I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Please come and enjoy your stay on the island.

Thank you Bajan Keith!

I do not intend to offend any Bajan and apologize if I have done so.

I must say after reading so many comments from Bajans themselves, the complaints regarding the Barbados government failing to take proactive action regarding these crimes are extensive. I am not specifically targeting the recent crime that resulted in an unfortunate death, I am also discussing the numerous crimes from tourists that state they went to the police to file reports and were met with complete indifference- a lack of concern, no investigation, etc. Therefore many speculate crimes are going unreported.

I also want to reiterate, the US Government has issued a violent crime, including rape, warning for Barbados, which I included in my original post above. Please make sure to note the areas of concern for those whom will be traveling to Barbados, as the US does not state all areas are safe.

My intent is to seek personal information from those that live in and visit Barbados frequently. I do not intend to slander the people of Barbados or their beautiful country. I have only the utmost respect for the people of Barbados which is why I have come to the boards to post my concerns. I am one of many that have most likely come across this information so here is the opportunity to discuss issues in an attempt to make an informed decision. I want desperately to visit this island, to enjoy all it has to offer, but I do not want to compromise my safety.

Thank you for understanding!

A few days ago/Saturday.. I was walking along Accra Beach taking pics for y'all

- you may recall that one with the verry-bluuue sky?

While there among the beach umbrellas, I came across..

Safe-52.jpg

and thought to myself...Geez they look a bit out of place -don't they?

but they were chatting with visitors and everyone seemed very much at ease, despite the M16s they carried...

A few minutes later -and further up the beach- I came across these babes...

Safe-63.jpg

posing with the same guys

The girls didn't seem at all daunted by our Defence Force dudes with extra ammo clips.etc.

and even asked me to use their cute lil orange mini-camera to take souvenir pics for them

at the same time I took these shots to show you.

And so I'm assuming that Our Guys patrolling are seen as a good thing?

Feedback? :confused:

-----------------------------------------

So in answer to your fears and concerns re. visitor safety

it's not all as alarmist and evil as you may have read.

On popular beaches like Rockley/Accra there are often regular patrols by Barbados policemen

and more recently by Defence Force guys to supplement the former.

These beach patrols are largely to keep vendor harrassment in check

but serve other purposes as well.

I've wondered if I should post these somewhat incongruous photos -or not..

but now the subject has been broached, this might be an appropriate time.

Let us know how you feel.

Yup! You guessed it! A troll for sure!!!!

Thanks for keeping this a discussion and limiting personally attacks, but I figured some of you would go that way...

Let's stay focused as we are traveling in a very large group and I know they are worried about this as well. I am sure many other cruisers are worried so bashing me isn't accomplishing anything...

Yup! You guessed it! A troll for sure!!!!

Thanks for keeping this a discussion and limiting personally attacks, but I figured some of you would go that way...

Let's stay focused as we are traveling in a very large group

and I know they are worried about this as well. ===> All three million of you?

I am sure many other cruisers are worried ===> Their posts don't show it..

so bashing me isn't accomplishing anything...===> I'm not bashing you -I'm questioning your validity! ;)

What do we know about this new CC arrival?

General Information

• Last Activity: Today 03:01 PM

Let's see now....

A person joins this Forum since Jan.

Makes no comments or posts for over two months.

No info re. where the person is from -Antigua or Arlington?

What's your big secret, Mr So-well-travelled-in-the-islands?

Difficult to think of you as legit with close to zero info on you.

Where are you from? What nationality?

What do you do?

You may be legit,indeed - but you do post ever so well for a 'beginner' on this forum.:D

- duplicate CC registration? (it's known to happen):)

Yes, we still love you

and have no problem at all with this discussion continuing to its fullest extent, so let's roll it.

Suggest you post all those 'terrifying' News and analysis URLs

so we can all have a good freak-out

and stop travelling anywhere outside of 'Safe' North America..if that's where you're from

Next.

OMG! what to do? :eek:

I need shade -but which one? :confused:

Do I go under the trees?

Accra-46.jpg

Maybe they're poisonous!!

- or do I hire a chair and an umbrella?

Accra-759.jpg

Can I trust the umbrella guy? Is he in cahoots with The Chair Guy?

Can I trust anyone?

Should I even get off the ship? :eek:

Help! - Anyone?! :D

Personally, I am glad to see the army/defense/M16-carrying guys on the beach. Just like when I go into NYC and see armed men at Penn Station, I feel alot better knowing someone is there watching out for all of us.

I also feel that violent crime can happen ANYWHERE. My son was a freshman at Virginia Tech when the massacre that killed 32 of his fellow students and professors occurred. He had been thinking of attending college near Washington D.C. and when he chose Virginia Tech, I was so happy that he would be safe and I wouldn't have to worry about crime and violence because he was in the beautiful mountains of Virginia in the epitome of the perfect college town. It is still a beautiful, wonderful college town and, in fact, just 2 years later my daughter (MY BABY! who I am veryyyy protective of) decided to go to college there as well. Since the massacre, the school has put more security measures in place and has tried their best to institute different safeguards. But, honestly, if someone is intent on commiting a violent crime in this open society of ours, it it pretty difficult to control. Seeing that there are armed patrols on some of the Barbados beaches is, for me, a good sign. Obviously tourism is vital to the island's economy and I just have to have faith that they will do whatever they can to curtail violence and crime.

If I looked at all the police logs for NYC, I would probably never step foot in the city again. But I live 45 mins away and wouldn't dream of letting the crime that exists there from keeping me away. You just have to use common sense and make sure you go to populated places, use taxis/vans that are legitimate, and so forth. I, for one, wouldn't go to an isolated beach or walk down city streets or alleys that look abandoned.

Just use common sense and I am sure you will be fine :)

You're going on your first cruise and haven't ask any other questions except here on the Barbados board?

Geez, on my first cruise I must have asked hundreds of questions to the board for the cruise I was on.

I have to agree with aplmac here. I smell a troll big time.

Personally, I am glad to see the army/defense/M16-carrying guys on the beach. Just like when I go into NYC and see armed men at Penn Station, I feel alot better knowing someone is there watching out for all of us.

I also feel that violent crime can happen ANYWHERE. My son was a freshman at Virginia Tech when the massacre that killed 32 of his fellow students and professors occurred. He had been thinking of attending college near Washington D.C. and when he chose Virginia Tech, I was so happy that he would be safe and I wouldn't have to worry about crime and violence because he was in the beautiful mountains of Virginia in the epitome of the perfect college town. It is still a beautiful, wonderful college town and, in fact, just 2 years later my daughter (MY BABY! who I am veryyyy protective of) decided to go to college there as well. Since the massacre, the school has put more security measures in place and has tried their best to institute different safeguards. But, honestly, if someone is intent on commiting a violent crime in this open society of ours, it it pretty difficult to control. Seeing that there are armed patrols on some of the Barbados beaches is, for me, a good sign. Obviously tourism is vital to the island's economy and I just have to have faith that they will do whatever they can to curtail violence and crime.

If I looked at all the police logs for NYC, I would probably never step foot in the city again. But I live 45 mins away and wouldn't dream of letting the crime that exists there from keeping me away. You just have to use common sense and make sure you go to populated places, use taxis/vans that are legitimate, and so forth. I, for one, wouldn't go to an isolated beach or walk down city streets or alleys that look abandoned.

Just use common sense and I am sure you will be fine :)

Oh I remember that day so well. The anniversary of it is coming up very soon. We live about 45 mins from Blacksburg and that was such a sad sad day..........

Oh sorry, didn't mean to start a new thread here, but that was a very sad day for all of Virginia....

OMG! what to do? :eek:

I need shade -but which one? :confused:

Do I go under the trees?

Accra-46.jpg

Maybe they're poisonous!!

- or do I hire a chair and an umbrella?

Accra-759.jpg

Can I trust the umbrella guy? Is he in cahoots with The Chair Guy?

Can I trust anyone?

Should I even get off the ship? :eek:

Help! - Anyone?!

Your posts are such a hoot! Thanks!

(M16's are a bit much);)

Thank you Bajan Keith!

I do not intend to offend any Bajan and apologize if I have done so.

I must say after reading so many comments from Bajans themselves, the complaints regarding the Barbados government failing to take proactive action regarding these crimes are extensive. I am not specifically targeting the recent crime that resulted in an unfortunate death, I am also discussing the numerous crimes from tourists that state they went to the police to file reports and were met with complete indifference- a lack of concern, no investigation, etc. Therefore many speculate crimes are going unreported.

I also want to reiterate, the US Government has issued a violent crime, including rape, warning for Barbados, which I included in my original post above. Please make sure to note the areas of concern for those whom will be traveling to Barbados, as the US does not state all areas are safe.

My intent is to seek personal information from those that live in and visit Barbados frequently. I do not intend to slander the people of Barbados or their beautiful country. I have only the utmost respect for the people of Barbados which is why I have come to the boards to post my concerns. I am one of many that have most likely come across this information so here is the opportunity to discuss issues in an attempt to make an informed decision. I want desperately to visit this island, to enjoy all it has to offer, but I do not want to compromise my safety.

Thank you for understanding!

Larimarluvr.....No offence has been taken by yours truly by your comments. I took then in the spirit I believe was intended...that is a person concerned for the safety of themselves and their family after hearing the sad news on the ottawa visitor.

I will also reiterate that Barbados is very safe but unfortunately it is not immune from crime. We continue to do our beast to make it safe for visitors and locals alike.

I hope you still intend to visit.

• 1 month later...

Hey, the M16's aren't over the top. They are not the "normal" police. Aplmac said they were from the Defense Dept like our Marines. You'd never ask a Marine to put away his big scary rifles. What is over the top is that it's gotta be hotter than hell in full BDUs and boots. Christ, let them wear shorts. They are at the beach after all.:)

That said, I have been to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Los Cabos, Loredo, Mahahual, and Roatan when I have seen police or other military types with M16s either at the port, in tourist areas, or on the beaches. It didn't keep me from having a good time. Nor did the lack of police presence at other ports bother me.

Ask yourself, would you consider visiting New York, Washington DC, Las Vegas, Miami, or Los Angeles? If you look for blogs on crime in those areas, I bet you would change your mind.

Read the boards. You can figure out where to go and where not to. Don't let newspapers or blogs to poison your mind. They print outragious things to either sell something (a newspaper) or to be a sounding board for their pet peeves. Heck, we have had 3 murders and a police shooting in the past five months in my town of 35,000.:eek: That doesn't keep me from going out.

I agree 100%. We felt very safe on the beach. The only thing that scared us was the drunk Brit couple that staggered out to the water and got knocked over by a very small wave and then couldn't get up. Gosh, the woman was so drunk and didn't have on any bottoms. It was like a beached whale and wasn't a pretty site............I'd hate to have her hangover the next day.

We also saw the "police" walking around and that made us feel very good.

Great place, beautiful place and we enjoyed the day at the beach.

We felt very safe during our stop in Barbados in April. We went to Carlisle Beach where there were plenty of other people around and there was even a police officer walking along the beach, keeping an eye on things. I had a nice, long talk with a local there on the beach and he told me that they really look out for tourists there as we are their life blood. He told me that anyone who "messes" with the tourists is dealt with severely and swiftly. It is not taken lightly. I didn't question him at all about the safety of being there; he volunteered this information to me and thanked us for coming. His name was Trevor so if anyone sees him tell him I said hello :D

We loved Barbados, so much in fact, that we are planning a return trip for next year so that we can stay longer and enjoy all it has to offer.

I think that no matter where we are, we are never completely safe. As exotic and romantic as it sounds to go to a beach where no one else is around, it is just not a good idea. Likewise, don't go walking down a dark street alone in the middle of the night just like you wouldn't at "home". It is just common sense.

I say go to Barbados and have fun! If you don't you'll be missing a really beautiful place with very friendly people.

Barbados was our favourite island on our last cruise. We travelled around independently, by public bus, and felt perfectly safe, as we mingled with the local people, walked along beautiful wild beaches, etc. The memorable day cost us less than $US10 (including beautiful Barbados cricket stamps), from memory.

Don't miss Barbados.

This has been a most interesting thread, hasn't it?

Started by a shrill Trill whose stats even today don't say much..

I just checked his/her stats at 0650 Wed. May 20th. and...

they still look like this.

Total Posts

General Information

• Last Activity: April 6th, 2009 10:57 PM

..while most of us still remain un-worried as we continue to enjoy the island!

So what was that OP all about, huh?

You really have to wonder!! :D

One thing: we sure do miss him and his 'very large' group

who obviously took their travel business elsewhere :cool:

Whateverrr..

Well at least they didn't bring along any friends to back up their claims of the horrible crime and violence that doesn't seem to exist there :p

Thanks Bajan Keith! I tell ya I'm so excited to get to come back there and actually stay I can hardly stand it. How will I ever wait almost a year? That is the one downside to cruising......if you stop some place that you really love, you have to leave right away. But, it does give you a good idea of where you would and would not like to stay for a land based vacation.

The day we were there the skies opened up at the port while we were in the terminal building. It didn't last long though so we decided to go ahead with our plan to go to the beach. It was pretty cloudy most of the day but still very beautiful. We kept looking over at the ship in the distance where it was still raining and we never got a drop at the beach. We talked to quite a few people that decided to not go to the beach that day because of the rain. Boy, did they ever miss out :D

It takes all kinds I guess.:confused:

I am glad others have enjoyed there stay and gr82cu2...I t will be great to see you back on the island again:D;)

Archived