No Smoking-I would have booked Elsewhere!

celinaosu

:mad: While I respect other people's right to object, I paid good money to go on vacation. I realize this vice offends some, I feel that I should be able to smoke in Open air areas. It is my vacation and I don't want to stress out from nicotine withdrawl!:mad:

I don't think you will need to worry about stressing/nicotine withdrawl. You can smoke on one side of the ship in "open areas" I believe you can also smoke in the Aft Bar, too.

It is inside and on balconies, cabins that you cannot smoke as well as indoor public areas. I could be wrong but I think most ships also have one indoor bar you can smoke in.

Don't worry..and enjoy the cruise

As others have mentioned, there are places where you can smoke.

The port side of the outdoor pool area is one.

The port side of the upper deck bar is another.

The port side of upper aft deck is another.

I booked an oversize aft balcony specifically because I like relaxing out there, watching the sunset and smoking when the urge strikes.

But what about the folks in the next cabin, who paid just as much as you, and enjoy sitting on their balcony watching the sunset, and hate cigarette smoke? I am not a non-smoking curmudgeon, but anyone with a habit that interferes with other people in the area has to accept the restrictions and move on. if it's that important to you, why book X?

Paul

It is my understanding that if you smoke in your cabin repeatedly, you can be FINED.

You can be fined for smoking once in your cabin/veranda, and removed if repeated. Kind of why police don't give warnings much - they assume if you are caught it's because you have done 'it' repeatedly. And someone will complain.

Denny

:mad: While I respect other people's right to object, I paid good money to go on vacation. I realize this vice offends some, I feel that I should be able to smoke in Open air areas. It is my vacation and I don't want to stress out from nicotine withdrawl!:mad:

When did you book your vacation.....

Well, Don, I booked last September along with the other couple we are traveling with-I'm the only one who this truly affects as my husband only smokes once in a while. The policy was announced in October. I just think someone smoking on their own balcony using common sense precautions is not a big deal. I realize there is always an idiot who ruins it for the rest, but I was irked to learn of this policy.

Having just returned from a Constellation cruise I can tell you it was wonderful being able to use the veranda without smoke drifting over. To be honest, there were not many people even smoking in the designated areas on this cruise. This surprised us since we had many Europeans on board.

Friends did experience someone on a balcony below them sneaking smokes and they knew they were doing wrong. Seems they used a soda can for the ashes but they were "rated out" I guess since many around them complained. It only happened once and that was it. Once they heard balcony doors opening and closing they went back inside and it didn't happen again. This was a suite so perhaps the butler warned them once and then they stopped.

Remember, if you are fined it's $250.00 and that's a big chunk of change.

Well, Don, I booked last September along with the other couple we are traveling with-I'm the only one who this truly affects as my husband only smokes once in a while. The policy was announced in October. I just think someone smoking on their own balcony using common sense precautions is not a big deal. I realize there is always an idiot who ruins it for the rest, but I was irked to learn of this policy.

Sorry, but you should have done your research when you booked. The policy went into effect Oct 1 but was announced very clearly in the below press release in April. Fault lies with you or your TA, not Celebrity. I'm not geting drawn into a smoking debate, just stating the facts...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=00009czyYXmdOj9gd7pyHP8bcyH:12h3rnd1c?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2008-04-10&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

I don't live on an airplane.

That right, and you don't live in a hotel and and you don't live on a ship either, you are accomdated in them. If your husband is an ocassional smoker there are great locations to sit back and enjoy a smoke with all the benefits of the wonderful sea view that one could want. And if its Solstice that you are sailing on you will be very pleased with the locations.

I booked an oversize aft balcony specifically because I like relaxing out there, watching the sunset and smoking when the urge strikes.

Actually the aft cabins are the worst for smoking on the balcony, when it comes to a non smoker. The air circles around back there and then come back in the cabins. On the Connie last year we had smokers in the FV next to our corner FV and our cabin got the smoke even more then the balcony:mad: It was so bad that we would leave the cabin and go for a walk.

(if you are sitting in a back seat of a boat, the wind is coming from the back blowing your hair forward, the opposite of what you would think)

What does DH stand for? Dumb Husband?

I tend to think that DH is "Dear Husband" but others can use it as they wish...:D

As for the smoking, it is really nice to know that there are areas for the smokers to smoke. Those are the areas that I will avoid as a non-smoker. Yes, in the open air, the smoke does dissapate quickly but when you (I) hate the smell, it does not dissapate fast enough!

I hope you enjoy the cruise!

I still think in an open air location the five minutes of a smell is not that big of a deal. Others can disagree.

If I was to bring my pet skunk with me would you like to put up with the smell of that for five minutes, and its smell does not include noxious, harmful fumes either.

No one should have to put up with anything they do not like for one minute, never mind five.

PS. dcguy9, its not just the majority of Americans who don't like second hand smoke.;)

I still think in an open air location the five minutes of a smell is not that big of a deal. Others can disagree.

Not a big deal to you because you are a smoker. It is a big deal to many people in staterooms all around you. Many people are thrilled about Celebrity's new policy and have booked cruises with them due in a large part to this new policy. If you do not like the policy, there are other cruise lines with less restrictive smoking policies to choose from.

To the people who are moralizing...it is an opinion. Just like you relax on vacation, I should get to, too. I don't tell ugly people to cover up, but I don't want to look at them in bathing suits, but they still have a right to the pool and beach.

To the people who are moralizing...it is an opinion. Just like you relax on vacation, I should get to, too. I don't tell ugly people to cover up, but I don't want to look at them in bathing suits, but they still have a right to the pool and beach.

"Eye Pollution" is by far not as extreme as pollution from smoke. Nor is eye pollution harmful to one's health.

Celebrity did not make this policy without extensive polling from their passengers. We cruise often, and I cannot tell you how many, many times I've had to walk back into our cabin to get away from smokers, smoking on their balconies. But I didn't complain and moan on Cruise Critic. I just rolled with the program. The "former" program.

I suggest that if you want to enjoy yourself, you may want to just "roll with it"...

Archived