Need Help for Alaska cruise on Coral

drdaddy

Hi, all. We are planning on an Alaska cruise on the Coral June 11. We have done the Caribbean many times but I am driving myself crazy with questions about this one.

We are flying from South Florida to Vancouver. Anyone done this before? We are considering going a day before to rest. Princess wants quite a bit for the PAn Pacific, which is a pretty nice place in Vancouver. Anyone stay there before? Can we just walk with our luggage to the port? And where to eat that night in Vancouver? I hear Chinatown is pretty cool.

I am considering doing the air arrangements myself. If we go the day before, I don't have to worry about missing the ship. But, the flights basically stink. Since we live in South Florida, we have never had to do air before. Is th eflight through Princess anything special, like a charter or something, or do they just book us on a regularly scheduled flight? I am so afraid of a 4 stopper or something like that. I also prefer to book my own seats but they won't even tell the TA what the arrangements are until 30 days before!

The cabin the TA has for us is on Baja deck near that open area where some posters have mentioned some mechanical noises. Anyone have first hand knowledge? Should I do a balcony guarantee and hope the upgrade fairy pays a visit? I may end up with the very front of the ship. Kind of worried about that, too.

Doing the land tour after the cruise (I am locked into the Northbound cruise with the Land tour afterwards, if we want to go). There seems to be alot of "free time" with this tour. Any ideas as to reasonable excursions to Mt. McKinley and such? I know, I need to check out the ports board and I have. Not as much activity there as here.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Do your own air if you find something better than $400 to $500. If you let Princes handle your air you may get on an airline you don't like, won't get the seats you want and/or have a say when the flight leaves. It's not a charter. Basicly Princess will act like a TA and book the cheapest flights possible and pocket the rest of the moola.

As for your cabin I don't know sorry never been on the Coral.

Land Portion - Princess will offer additional excursions on the land part to you after you get off the ship. Some excursions are included in the price of the land tour.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I can already get about $200 less EACH on the air than Princess quoted. Pretty good savings especially if I do not have to deal with the air deviation fee. Just can't find anything with a reasonable routing that is not a 10 hour flight.

I am hoping for some more Coral people out there!

and then renting a one way car rental and driving to Vancouver. I am going to Alaska in May. It has been my finding that prices go up considerably once you leave the US. If you live in a city that is serviced by Southwest you would save a lot of money. Also you may want to look into Priceline for your hotel in Vancouver. You will pay only between $60-70 for a four star hotel such as the Westin or Hyatt. You might end up having to take a cab to the port but the money that you save would cover the cab and dinner and breakfast and maybe even an excursion !! :D

The Pan Pacific is the nicest hotel in Vancouver. You can just leave your luggage in the room and the bell staff will take it to the ship for you. Too cool!

Otherwise - you may want to look at the Alaska board of CC - lots of great advice there. I ususally use Priceline in Vancouver. A large majority of us received the Hyatt for $60 - $65 last summer. The Hyatt is just a few blocks away from Pan Pacific and the pier.

Definitely venture over to the Alaska CC board.

I sailed the Coral Princess 2 summers ago to Alaska and it was an amazing trip! I LOVE Alaska!

Pan Pacific is great for being RIGHT THERE. As mentioned above, there are other options, but I would strongly suggest as others to scroll through the Alaska board. Lots of threads about hotels, Seattle, etc.

And yes, go the day before. FOR SURE.

I was just on the Coral on the Panama canal cruise. Loved it and am booked on it for Alaska in May 2005.

I was in an AA minisuite on Baja deck---B210. I do not know what area supposely has the noise, but it was not in our area. We were under the bridge/officer's quarter and had no noise. The balcony was large, partially covered, no one above us and could not see onto balcony on Caribe deck below us.

This is a great ship.

I am looking at air from where I live too. Right now am finding the best rates on Continental and Northwest, from NC to Vancouver and from Anchorage to NC, but much lower if I fly into Seattle on Southwest.

We flew back last summer from Vancouver to Miami (flew to Seattle, got on the Diamond, eventually finished the trip in Vancouver). American had the only non-red eye flight--left about 7AM and arrived in Miami after one plane change around 7PM. Not too bad, but we did have to get up at 4AM!

Les

Most always booking on your own is a cheaper option, so compare fully. Frankly- on the land portion- you likely DO NOT have a lot of free time. Be fully informed on transit times- which are considerable especially on tours less than 7 days. Be certain to have the Tundra tour included and NOT the Natural History- worthless. Understand that the McKinley Princess is your "down time" , nothing in the area for activies and McKinley rarely seen. Nearest town is Talkeetna- 50 miles away- superior for flightseening. Plan and understand all the unwritten "stuff". Educated yourself on Alaska travel, the more you know the better! :)

You can also fly into Seattle and then take the QuickShuttle that goes to Vancouver and drops you right at the pier or at several of the downtown hotels. Here's the website:

http://www.quickcoach.com/

I've noticed that Alaska Airlines has had some fairly good deals in/out of Seattle lately (I live in the Seattle area). The other upside to Alaska is that they partner with several of the major airlines for frequent flier miles (American, Northwest, Continental).

Thanks everyone. These are some great hints.

On the land tour and the Natural History tour. I see that this is a problem because we are on the 3N with a group and I assume we need to stick together. It is a continuing education trip and this is just one part of the whole thing. If the tour already has the Natural History tour included, can one change it for themselves?

Thanks, again.

How MUCH time do you have at Denali Park??? If only a day and you are getting there via rail it is unlikely you can upgrade. The Natural History is USELESS. You go only 16 miles into the park out of 90. The big kick is also a free shuttle to the same place offered by the park service for FREE. I can not rationalize anyone considering this tour with all the time and money it takes to get to Alaska and at least 6 hours to get to Denali Park for only a 3 hour tour. Most important- allow a 7 day day add on if going on a cruise tour in Alaska, any shorter is way too much time in transit and not near enough at the attractions- as an example of the above. By all means CHANGE THIS, if wildlife and scenery are a priority. Does the group that booked this realize this???

But, can you change something that is already a part and parcel of the Princess Cruisetour? It is a part that is already listed in the princess brochure that is part of that particular landtour. I would love to not have to do something that EVERYONE agrees is a waste.

I was on the Coral May /04 for a land/sea tour . Yes, coming from Tampa to Anchorage is experience and a long flight! But I was very fortunate to fly out 8 days before the tour, so I had a little of all 3- , self tour, land tour with Princess, then the 7 day cruise south, disembarking in Vancouver. It was a wonderful experience. I loved going in May, the change in weather for us Floridans was great. Whatever you decide I would recommend flying in before cruise to adjust to the time change.

Susan

But, can you change something that is already a part and parcel of the Princess Cruisetour? It is a part that is already listed in the princess brochure that is part of that particular landtour. I would love to not have to do something that EVERYONE agrees is a waste.

Again- HOW much time do you have at Denali Park??? Sometimes YOU CAN UPGRADE to the Tundra Wilderness tour at about a $35 charge (but understand- you get farther on the shuttle to Eielson for less than that.) List WHAT tour you are on- after finding out further details - you may want to cancel and change to another- I can just about guarantee you do not realize the time and distances. If this is a short tour- less than 7 days- a good amount will be in transit. List the tour, and I can tell you.

Thanks everyone. These are some great hints.

On the land tour and the Natural History tour. I see that this is a problem because we are on the 3N with a group and I assume we need to stick together. It is a continuing education trip and this is just one part of the whole thing. If the tour already has the Natural History tour included, can one change it for themselves?

Thanks, again.

Since you are on tour 3 northbound (that's what you mean by 3N, right?) and it's a CLE -type thing you may be locked in time-wise. Lots of groups like that have their own tour bus/guide and operate a little differently depending on size of group etc. That being said, since your Natural History tour is mid-day and you are at the lodge overnight, you may be able to upgrade to the longer tour which is a much better tour. However since you are already set to go, look forward to this trip with much anticipation even if the upgrade isn't possible... it's a magnificent destination and a shorter tour will just whet your appetite to return.:) Lots of folks do 3N and 3S and come back raving about it. You do a lot of "traveling" but the scenery is beautiful, the service very good and you will be I'm sure with a very congenial bunch in your CLE group!

Since you are on tour 3 northbound (that's what you mean by 3N, right?) and it's a CLE -type thing you may be locked in time-wise. Lots of groups like that have their own tour bus/guide and operate a little differently depending on size of group etc. That being said, since your Natural History tour is mid-day and you are at the lodge overnight, you may be able to upgrade to the longer tour which is a much better tour. However since you are already set to go, look forward to this trip with much anticipation even if the upgrade isn't possible... it's a magnificent destination and a shorter tour will just whet your appetite to return.:) Lots of folks do 3N and 3S and come back raving about it. You do a lot of "traveling" but the scenery is beautiful, the service very good and you will be I'm sure with a very congenial bunch in your CLE group!

On this tour I doubt that the Natural History tour is scheduled mid day- it's probably morning. The buses usually leave by afternoon heading back south from Denali Park for the 3 hour ride to McKinley lodge. This tour also has 10 hours on the train. Very doubtful there will be any opportunity for a Denali tour upgrade.

I think BudgetQueen is right. The trip into Denali is in the morning and yes, I am pretty sure it is locked in due to the nature of this whole deal. But, as Caroline says, we are really looking forward to this entire trip and the one Nature thing is no big deal. Maybe they will do the CE while on this tour which may make it a little more interesting! (Which is more interesting, the CE or the Nature tour? Hmm, sounds like a tough question.)

Thanks all.

I think BudgetQueen is right. The trip into Denali is in the morning and yes, I am pretty sure it is locked in due to the nature of this whole deal. But, as Caroline says, we are really looking forward to this entire trip and the one Nature thing is no big deal. Maybe they will do the CE while on this tour which may make it a little more interesting! (Which is more interesting, the CE or the Nature tour? Hmm, sounds like a tough question.)

Thanks all.

Depending on what type of CLE, they may! Bar Association CLE has been on sea days once and once part of an evening in Anchorage due to environmental law presentation. CLE=necessary=Alaska=tax deduction and a great vacation! Hope all works out well for you. Are any tours included in the CLE? Sometimes they do that and it makes a difference. You have some good port times.. take advantage of whale watching and glacier flightseeing or helicopter tour in Juneau!

You're doing a good job of researching and asking the questions. The responses you get will give you a lot of information and food for thought.

BudgetQueen is right in that most of us (I sure didn't) understand or comprehend the distances in Alaska. You can go for what seems like hours without seeing another vehicle and with what looks like the same mountains in view.

Check out all of your flight options, pros and cons. Princess air is not necessarily the most expensive or the most inconvenient. For our Coral Princess cruise a couple of summers ago, I checked flights and prices for months and never saw anything cheaper between Boston and Fairbanks than Princess. Our flight to Fairbanks was very long with two stops but coming back, they put us on a non-stop and we were home in record time.

Mt. McKinley was the most awesome stop on our cruisetour. We saw the entire mountain -- crystal clear -- from the train from Fairbanks to our stay in Denali overnight to two days at Mt. McKinley and was still clear the day we left. We took a tour that went via 4WD right through the foothills. Absolutely awesome. We loved the lodge and had a great time there too.

Have a fabulous time in Alaska. You'll love it.

Having sailed on the Coral last summer and then flown home via the Vancouver airport, I am going to suggest that you make arrangements to fly out of Seattle instead. The Vancouver airport was a nightmare! We stood in the longest line I have EVER seen in an airport. It was so bad it wrapped back around itself after stretching down the length of the terminal. We were in line for hours. This airport (at least in 2003) is totally not equipped to handle the numbers of passengers that the cruise ships dump on them on Saturdays. I do remember that certain airline and cruise ship combinations were able to bypass all that and go thru customs separately. What I don't know is if these pax still had to stand in line in the main terminal to go thru security and to check bags, etc. Another option would be to stay overnight in Vancouver and go home the next day.

I would recommend Alaska airlines. Our daughter lives in Seattle and we have flown them several times in and out of Dulles. They have a non-stop (at least to Dulles) and we have taken the red-eye back and it has been a breeze. If you do the Seattle thing and stay overnight there, may I recommend the Underground Tour at Pioneer Square if you have some time. It is very unique and totally fun and irreverant.

Archived