Le Havre to Normandy DDAY beaches

bronxadw

We'll be spending the day in Le Havre on the 10th May and does anyone know how we can do a tour on our own from Le Havre to the Normandy DDAY beaches ...the ship (Emerald Princess) will be in port from 7am to 8pm. Has anyone done this by taxi and if so, approximately what was the cost. Any info would be helpful.

We have rented a car in LeHarve twice when were there on a cruise. It was a few years ago, so I am not sure the cost. If memory serves it was about $100 for the car, fuel, tolls, and cab to/from the ship. Besides the DDay beaches, Honfleur, Caen & Bayeau are all within driving distance of LeHarve.

I'm interested in more information here. We have booked the ship's tour for the beaches and the American cemetary. What other options do we have? I would like to see the beaches and the cemetary. How can you do this on your own?

We have also done this by car and it is relatively easy. We rented from Europcar, took a taxi to their office and were on our way less than a half hour after getting off the ship.

We visited the Normandy beaches, the American and German cemeteries, Honfluer for a leisurely meal at a cafe and were back on the ship in plenty of time for dinner.

On one cruise that stopped in La Havre, we rented a car with another couple and went to Honfleur, Rouen and Deauville.

On another cruise, about 5 years ago, we booked a private tour to the Normandy Beaches and the Bayeux Tapestries. Rules of the CC board is... I can't offer the contact info re: our private tour, unless you ask for it. I think there is also a taxi service in La Havre that offers a tour to Normandy Beaches... sorry, I don't know the name of the service. You might check the destination section of the CC board.

Sandy

We used Handmaidtours.com for our tour to the Normandy Beaches. It was superb. The owner, John Flaherty, is British and has lived in France for 20+ years. He is an historian and is an excellent guide. We went to the American and British cemetaries, Pegasus bridge, the beaches and had lunch at Port-en-Bessin. This was the best excursion we have ever been on.

We had a terrific private tour about 5 years ago... the tour guide's name is Anne-Marie. He e-mail is: anne-marie.leblic.wanadoo.fr She has a comfortable, air-conditioned van and she's very knowledgeable on her history and the area, since she lives near Le Havre. We went to Normandy... the beaches and the cemetary and stopped for lunch. We also visited the Bayeaux Tapestries... a must! On the way back to the ship, we stopped in a small seaside town to buy some wine to take back to the ship... really good and very inexpensive. I recommend her highly. You can mention my name... we exchange e-mails every year around the Dec. holidays.

Sandy

We'll be spending the day in Le Havre on the 10th May and does anyone know how we can do a tour on our own from Le Havre to the Normandy DDAY beaches ...the ship (Emerald Princess) will be in port from 7am to 8pm. Has anyone done this by taxi and if so, approximately what was the cost. Any info would be helpful.

Please join the roll call for your cruise at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=737005

You will see what several people have set up for that type of tour.

One problem several have mentioned is that this is a Sunday and car rental agaencies may be closed.

We used Handmaidtours.com for our tour to the Normandy Beaches. It was superb. The owner, John Flaherty, is British and has lived in France for 20+ years. He is an historian and is an excellent guide. We went to the American and British cemetaries, Pegasus bridge, the beaches and had lunch at Port-en-Bessin. This was the best excursion we have ever been on.

I'll vouch for Hand Maid Tours. I have visited Normandy twice and used John Flaherty both times. In addition to being a well spoken historian, he is a true gentleman and is a pleasure to deal with. I consider myself something of an amateur military historian, and John has impressed me with how little I really know.

As for logistics, John will pick you up at the cruise terminal in Le Havre and drop you off there at the end of your tour. He is more than happy to customize your tour, depending on your particular interests. IE: Canadians or Brits may attach a different significance to certain sights than a Yank like me would.

Archived