airport to pier timing...

voyager22

My plane gets into Port Canaveral at 12:45 (direct flight from Toronto)...cruise disembarks 4:30pm. Is this enough time?

My travel agent assures me its enough time to get my luggage, take the rccl transfer (which comes every 60 min) and be there on time.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think we have to be at the pier 1.5hrs BEFORE the cruise disembarks at 4:30.. meaning we'd have to be at the cruise around 3pm?

What airport will you be flying into? I will be going on a cruise on July 26th at Port Canaveral and will be flying to Orlando. My plane arrives at 10:50am. The cruise ship leaves at 4:30pm. Your TA is right you have to be there by 3:00pm. I have decided to use a car service it is about 20 dollars more each way but you leave as soon as you get your luggage because you are on your schedule instead of the cruise line schedule. Plus I want to board the ship early before the crowd get there.

A couple of other things to point out. If you are flying into Orlando it takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to Port Canaveral. You are arriving little late(you are taking a big risk because your plane maybe delayed, for varies reasons, you are giving yourself no leway time at all), you have 2 hours and 15 minutes to get to to Port Canaveral, plus the rccl transfer leaves every hour, ok suppose you missed the rccl transfer by 10 minutes you have to wait around another 50 minutes for the next one. When you take the cruise line transportation they stop at every Airline terminal. So it will take longer than the normal one hour and 15 minutes to get to Port Canaveral. If I were you, I would think about booking a car service to take you to Port Canveral.

This seemed as good as place as none to ask my question. We are arriving in San Juan at 2pm and our boat leaves at 10:00 pm. We are taking a taxi to port. Should this be enough time?

Yes.

To the OP ... You are cutting it close. Was air booked through the cruiseline?

Hi guys, thanks for answering.

As it's my first time, i trusted my T.A. since she has rec'd many awards from different cruiselines. She is with expedia cruiseship centres. No i did not book the flight with RCCL, just the transfer.

So you think I should cancel the transfer (not sure if this is possible, i have already put down the deposit) and instead get a car service to the pier?

My T.A. said there are very little taxis at the pier to get back to the airport, hence the RCCL transfer service should be used. But couldn't I just ask the car service ppl to wait for us around noon during disembarkation?

I realize now it's cutting it close. I certainly don't want to miss my first cruise and have to meet up with it in Jamaica =S

It's too late to change the flight times, i've already paid for the flight.

From 12:45 to 3pm - given any delays, i have almost 2 hrs to get to the pier.

gapeach713 - may i ask which car service you went with?

According to my rccl documents:

1. transfers are scheduled every 30 min starting from 10:30 to 2:30.

(so if i take into account any delays, we could catch the 1:30, and still make it there by 2:30, no? Wishful thinking..i know..i'm getting very worried now.)

2. Port C is approx 50min from Orlando Int'l Airport. (i'm guessing this does not include the stops at different terminals?)

it also says unused transfers are non-refundable, but we can use the money towards our shore excursions.

thanks for your help guys, i greatly appreciate it. There are some things your T.A. does not tell you..

If this was booked through the cruiseline, then don't worry--they do this all the time. You will have plenty of time, and RCI will be there to get you onboard.

Unfortunately, the airline has absolutely no control over flight delays.

To the OP, it is an hour drive from the airport to the port. Yes, it can be done, but you don't have much wiggle room in your times.

This seemed as good as place as none to ask my question. We are arriving in San Juan at 2pm and our boat leaves at 10:00 pm. We are taking a taxi to port. Should this be enough time?

If I was a gambling man, I would say that 8hrs. to get to the ship is more than enough time !

To the OP, Pay the fee and change the flight times that is too close.

Changing to a car service could take longer. you would have to go out and find them and sometimes they are not there since they can't park at the airport and you have to call and wait while they make it in to the pick up area. all this takes time.

Even with expedia there should be some way to change flights and pay a change fee. I found that you have the best result with that if you contact the airline directly as long as you have your booking locator number for the airline and your ticket number you can do that, they will change it for you at the stated change fee even when expedia says no changes allowed.

It is certainly worth a try.

If your flight gets in on time and you use a private shuttle, then you will be there on time. Are you checking luggage or just taking carry-ons?

It's been my experience that it takes an hour from the time we land to the time we have our luggage in hand at the Orlando airport. So if you do get in at 12:45, that puts you at 1:45. If you have a private shuttle waiting, then you'll be at the port at about 2:30 - just in time. But if there are any delays on the highway (rare, but possible), then you may be in a bad situation.

It might be worth the peace of mind to come in the day before.

No, since there's 3 of us, we are checking in luggage.

I called my T.A. and she said there's no way to change the flights...but i'm pretty sure changing flights IS possible, i just have to pay a fee. I've already paid for the flights & cruise deposit, but I should be able to change the flight, no?

Do you mean I should contact RCCL and go with THEIR air transport? I am flying with Air Canada...they can change that??

I'm really stressing - i wasn't aware of how long things would take. When my dad called the TA, she assured him we would have enough time to get to the pier. She's taken several cruises herself so we trusted her. Have we been cheated? It seems like she doesn't want to help us get an earlier flight.

Part of me wants to get there a day earlier, but she keeps saying it can't be done. What should I do...contact her AGAIN??

If you booked your flights through your TA, then you probably are booked through the cruiseline already. And your TA may be correct that there is no way to change flight as the cruiseline has limited seats available on flights day of cruise.

Are you able to come in a day in advance? Did you ask your TA about paying for that possibility?

Do you mean I should contact RCCL and go with THEIR air transport? I am flying with Air Canada...they can change that??

If you can't change the flights, then see about a private shuttle so you have someone there waiting for you. If you're a bit late then they can hustle to get you to the port. With normal driving conditions you can get from the door of the airport to the port in 45-50 minutes. One of the most mentioned shuttles is Cocoa Beach Shuttle. You'll want one where there is a car or van just for your group.

But do have a serious chat with your TA. They apparently aren't that well versed in getting from Orlando to the Port ... and I'm sure they last thing they want is a frantic call from you if your flight is late and you can't get to the port on time!

I just saw this post. I will find the name of the limo service we used to get from Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral Pier. They were they absolute BEST. The price was just a few dollars more than a taxi to the pier and only about $10 higher than transportation for 2 people on the busses through the cruise line. They were a huge help to me when my flight was delayed due to a mechanical failure. Had it not been for them, we would have missed the cruise entirely. The name is Bellagio limo. They have a website and the phone number is 800-511-1778. Tell them Tracy & Brett say hello and we are very appreciative!!

No, since there's 3 of us, we are checking in luggage.

I called my T.A. and she said there's no way to change the flights...but i'm pretty sure changing flights IS possible, i just have to pay a fee. I've already paid for the flights & cruise deposit, but I should be able to change the flight, no?

I'm really stressing - i wasn't aware of how long things would take. When my dad called the TA, she assured him we would have enough time to get to the pier. She's taken several cruises herself so we trusted her. Have we been cheated? It seems like she doesn't want to help us get an earlier flight.

Part of me wants to get there a day earlier, but she keeps saying it can't be done. What should I do...contact her AGAIN??

I mentioned this already but DO you have the airline locator number for your reservation? and the ticket number if possible. IF you have the locator number call Air Canada directly there number is 888-247-2262 and see if they will change the flights for you, you would have to pay the change fee and any additional cost of the tickets. But it can be done, but it cannot be done through your TA in this case.

Try doing it yourself, assuming of course that there IS a flight that would work for you, otherwise change it to the day before and stay over, always a good idea when cruising anyway. I know either of these options will cost you more but as it stands there is a good chance of you missing the ship, or arriving too late and being refused boarding in which case you lose everything you paid. No Refunds.

If I was flying from Toronto to Orlando, I would fly in a day early. In fact, when I fly from Baltimore to Miami (which is a 3 hour flight), I fly in a day early. Its just worth the comfort and peace of mind.

wrp96 - no, it's booked separate from RCCL. I know that for a fact. We haven't paid for the transfers yet b/c we weren't sure if we wanted it. It was about $200 for all three of us, to and from the airport.

waterbaby - i will look into Cocoa Beach shuttle, thank you!

TrevyMcShaw - I will look into Bilagio Limo as well, but we're just a group of 3..not really looking for a limo, unless they have sedans? ;)

Arwenmark - yes i DO have the ticket #s and airline locator #s for all three of us. I will look to call aircanada tomorrow morning and see if I can catch a flight the day before.

*important question: if i AM able to change the flight with air canada, i should inform my TA right?? And if i DO change it, i'm pretty sure we will be coming in a day earlier, since a lot of you are recommending this. (thanks!)

Should I book a hotel on my own? I feel like i can't trust my TA anymore..

Are there any specific ones that are good to stay in and are close to the pier?

Thanks again guys, I don't know what i'd do without your opinions!!

*important question: if i AM able to change the flight with air canada, i should inform my TA right?? And if i DO change it, i'm pretty sure we will be coming in a day earlier, since a lot of you are recommending this. (thanks!)

Should I book a hotel on my own? I feel like i can't trust my TA anymore..

Are there any specific ones that are good to stay in and are close to the pier?

Thanks again guys, I don't know what i'd do without your opinions!!

If I was you and I changed the flight, I'd let the TA know --- more to advise them that they're not giving sufficient time for you to get to your vacation destination. I don't know about any legalities or anything like that. The TAs here will probably help you out with that one.

As to hotels, you can either stay close to the Port, or over at the beach (it's about 3 miles from the port to the beach). A lot of people stay at the Radisson at the Port, the Residence Inn or Comfort Inn & Suites. If you decide to stay on the Beach there is a Hilton, Doubletree and Clarion (plus countless others). There are restaurants within walking distance of all ... but just to throw something else into the mix, if you happen to get in early the day before, you could just rent a car at the Orlando airport then drive over to Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach and have some more freedom for that day. There are loads of rental companies (Budget for example) who will do a one- way rental and will take you over to the Port & drop you off at the ship.

Good luck with AC!

None of us drive, so if we do stay near the beach, we'll probably catch a cab to the pier. That was very informative, thank you!

I think we would love to see the Kennedy Space Centre - ever since i was a kid, i've been interested in space. never dawned on me that since we're in orlando, i should check out these things!

Also, just to get your opinion, what time would you recommend we depart for home? Our ship docks back at Port Canaveral at 7am. So if i book a flight home at 1:30 or 12:10, would that be ok?

Currently its at 12:10, so i'm looking to have it changed to 1:30 for safety measures. I've read other threads that departures should be made for the afternoon.

Belagio does have sedans, and with there being 3 of you, it would definitely be cheaper on your wallet to book the car through them or any other car service. I recommend Belagio because they were so accomodating and helpful with my horrible situation last year.

None of us drive, so if we do stay near the beach, we'll probably catch a cab to the pier. That was very informative, thank you!

I think we would love to see the Kennedy Space Centre - ever since i was a kid, i've been interested in space. never dawned on me that since we're in orlando, i should check out these things!

Also, just to get your opinion, what time would you recommend we depart for home? Our ship docks back at Port Canaveral at 7am. So if i book a flight home at 1:30 or 12:10, would that be ok?

Currently its at 12:10, so i'm looking to have it changed to 1:30 for safety measures. I've read other threads that departures should be made for the afternoon.

The cruiselines suggest flights after 12, so either would be okay. The ship should dock before 6 am, and then it's cleared by Customs. When we were the last people off the ship we left at about 10:15 am. You can easily be off by about 8.

KSC is cool. If you come in a day early you could do a tour up there. Expect to pay almost as much as you would for a theme park (about $50 per person). KSC is a bit of a drive from the Port (maybe 15 minutes), so check on a shuttle up there. A taxi could run you a bit of cash. You may get lucky & see a launch!

My BF and I toured the space center after our cruise in September. We had 3 days post-cruise in Cocoa Beach and used 2 of them to tour the space center. The center CAN be done in a day, but to get the full effect and truly enjoy it, I would suggest taking 2 days to explore it all. We were fortunate that we were able to do just that and we both got an amazing education.

yah i saw that the admission is a 2-day pass. thats pretty cool. you didn't find it boring? there were interactive parts to it too?

we're currently in the process of trying to fix the flight schedule. so if all goes well, then i'll see about taking 2-day post cruise stay for KSC.

another question - if you've put down a deposit for the cruise, is it too late to back out and head for another cruise? is there a charge for cancellation?

Archived