OBC and Tips

treasure4two

We are new to CC and hope this is not too tacky to ask, but here goes! Our TA told me she got us an On Board Credit and the Tips for both of us and she made it sound like she was a great TA(we like her) and that is why we got them. Then I read all the time where others mention they got them also and I am just wondering if many/most/few also got these and it is more typical than because we have a great TA. :confused: We would appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you!;)

The cruiseline offered pre-paid gratuities and OBC (amount of obc depended of on the category of cabin you booked) as a special promotion. Typically you get some savings by using a TA, plus you receive the specials the cruiseline has in place at the time of booking. You can check the special promotion of the cruiseline by going to their website, and clicking on "special promotions" at the bottom of the page, or checking Captain Club specials, if you are a captain's club member. At least you know what the brochure price is, and the specials that are offered by the cruiseline. Then you can determine if your TA is giving you something above what is offered to every passenger. We always get quotes from a few sources before booking. Sometimes there is a difference in price & perks the TA offers.

We have used the same USA based TA for the last 4 years and she has often found us cabins that were not generally available or were just released.

We have always received any OBC due to us and have always been satisfied with the job done.

As a matter of interest I recently booked for my Wife and her Sister a 4 day cruise on Holland America and I did this online. The price was reduced subsequently and I found HAL most unhelpful in arranging any reduction.

You pays your money........

Brian

yes the line was running promos offering this...so your TA should be able to give you something on top of that...like a further OBC....

it is disingenuous of the TA to suggest to you that she/he has given you something because she likes you....in fact it is a lie...

I put a hold on a reservation when I found a good price. Then I called my TA to let her pick it up, and help me arrange air. She wanted a fee to do this. She said that the commission was too small to make it worth her time. I arranged my own air and let the cruseline have the booking. I also found a great air arrangement that fits my schedule and price. Unless a TA offers a service that I cannot do myself, why should I pay extra for them to get a commission? For a cruise, it's a cabin, air, transfers, and perhaps a pre or post hotel. BTW, I also booked a pre and post hotel myself and saved a lot of $$$.

We are new to CC and hope this is not too tacky to ask, but here goes! Our TA told me she got us an On Board Credit and the Tips for both of us and she made it sound like she was a great TA(we like her) and that is why we got them. Then I read all the time where others mention they got them also and I am just wondering if many/most/few also got these and it is more typical than because we have a great TA. :confused: We would appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you!;)

Which cruise? If you look at the Azamara web site there were a bunch of cruises offering OBC and pre-paid gratuities. The last special was through March 31. The amount of OBC depended on the length of the cruise and cabin category. For example a 14 night cruise in a Verandah may have been $300.00 OBC.

If your cruise was already offering this and your TA gave you additional OBC than he/she was taking it out of their commission.

I put a hold on a reservation when I found a good price. Then I called my TA to let her pick it up, and help me arrange air. She wanted a fee to do this. She said that the commission was too small to make it worth her time. I arranged my own air and let the cruseline have the booking. I also found a great air arrangement that fits my schedule and price. Unless a TA offers a service that I cannot do myself, why should I pay extra for them to get a commission? For a cruise, it's a cabin, air, transfers, and perhaps a pre or post hotel. BTW, I also booked a pre and post hotel myself and saved a lot of $$$.

Yikes, I have never heard of a TA charging to pick up a booking!

I put a hold on a reservation when I found a good price. Then I called my TA to let her pick it up, and help me arrange air. She wanted a fee to do this. She said that the commission was too small to make it worth her time. I arranged my own air and let the cruseline have the booking.

TA's no longer make any commission on air tickets ...some charge a fee to do this for you, but if you can do your own that is good.

Just watch some sites like Expedia charge a fee also

Be aware that often times travel agents have access to consolidator air fares for international flights that can be substantially less expensive than published airfares. These may allow for some fee or commission to the travel agent.

with American Express..is not even allowed to book airline tickets anymore...she has "looked" for me to help me find a good flight arrangement but only because I have been a long time friend and client...and, in fact, she said they were pulling her Sabre software so that she would no longer have access to that program...LuAnn

it is disingenuous of the TA to suggest to you that she/he has given you something because she likes you....in fact it is a lie...

I don't see from the original quote that the TA was suggesting that she had given them something because she liked them; she was just selling herself, pointing out that she was good at her job, and it looked to me as if that were true.

From my experience, there are indeed good TA's and mediocre TA's, even in the same agency, and the good ones are knowledgeable and aggressive in getting you best price, and deserve another shot at later business if they perform like that.

On my last cruise, my TA was able to get both a $400 onboard credit and a significant regional discount (Azamara said in a direct call that it could only give one or the other) as well as a much better cabin selection than was shown on the Azamara site.

Part of it no doubt was the particular deal available to the agency, but part of it is the agent herself. I wouldn't begrudge a TA pointing out that she worked out a particularly good deal when it was true. Others might have missed it.

• 1 month later...

I booked this cruise in March and went thru Azamara their 800 number and had my own personal Azamara planner (Ivette)

who told me about my $300 on board credit and prepaid gratuities. Well when I was on the ship I found out that our booking didn't qualify. ?? I spent

a bit of time back and forth at the guest relations desk with getting nothing resolved on the ship. They kept telling me to call my travel agent. I left

a voice mail with Ivette my personal Azamara planner and she never returned my call.

Yesterday I had a lengthy conversation with a supervisor of the executive post cruise department. She basically told me that I had nothing in writing. I thought it was on my reservation numer and I never had any on board credit before and really didn't know to get in in writing. I asked her to contact Ivette because I had spoke with her a couple of different times. NO we cannot speak to Ivette because she is with the precruise department and I am post cruise. This supervisor said they do not honor any verbal agreements. This is with my Azamara personal vacation planner.

The lesson to be had here is do not book thru Azamara and/or be sure you get it in writing. This experience was a damper on this cruise. Not a lot of money but I am big on principle.

Did you ever get a confirmation from Azamara? On the guest copies, it should clearly state if you had the OBC and gratuities. See if you can find your copy or, if not, I would call them and ask if they can send you a copy even though you have already sailed. Tell them you need it for some accounting expense or something like that.

The lesson to be had here is do not book thru Azamara and/or be sure you get it in writing. This experience was a damper on this cruise. Not a lot of money but I am big on principle.

karolm,

Sorry to hear about your experience... thank you for posting about it and pointing out to others the importance of having confirmation in writing.

We had a good experience booking directly with Azamara for our Med cruise and received the confirmation of our OBC in writing shortly after booking. However, following that trip, I booked an Asian cruise with them and was told by the rep that it qualified for an OBC plus free gratuities. The booking confirmation was emailed to me the same day, but at a higher price than quoted (the cost of gratuities had been added) ... and no OBC showing. I then called back & was advised that the rep had made a mistake & our cruise did not qualify, which I could tell by looking at the offers on Azamara's website. We ended up not taking the cruise (not because of the $700. mistake) but because we felt that we would be better off doing Asia by land. I'm looking forward to cruising with Azamara again ... but will continue to be diligent about getting the best deal and having written confirmation.

Sorry about what happened to you, but glad you told us. My TA just got out documents and said there was no mention of the OBC and tips included, so I told her about your experience and she will make sure I have documentation on it, if there is a problem. Thanks again!

I had asked previously if anyone's TA had charged them for making changes when the fares went down and basically, except for one, no TAs charged to get reductions or Tips and OBC. My TA charged me $295 and then, after I talked to a manager, it was refunded. Today, when I went to pick up my cruise paperwork, my TA said the reason she had originally charged me was because she spent 12 hours total on the phones, getting the changes(3 reductions). She said that certain cruise lines-Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara-once you have paid in full, will treat you differently as far as giving discounts. Sadly, I learned two things from this-not pay in full until the very last day(I usually pay in full fairly quickly) and to book things myself or with a different TA-very disappointing after using the same travel agency(two different people at this agency) for 4+ years for yearly two week vacations.:( I really appreciated all the comments that were made here on CC, so I knew I was not asking for/expecting something that others had not gotten. :D

Archived