Dyea Dave in Skagway?

tacotam

I e-mailed Dave in May for our recent Sep trip and he responded within a day. In fact, he told me that two people from Ryndam had already booked him earlier -- our eventual no-show Couple #3. Anyway, I was so "worried" about our reservation, after having read the negative bits, that I e-mailed him in May, Jun and Jul to confirm and reconfirm. He always replied within a week to two weeks.

I think his pet peeve is people who reserve him and then don't show up without any explanation and keep others waiting. Having experienced that myself, I can empathize with him. I guess since Dave doesn't ask for any prior deposit means some folks can just take advantage of the system and ditch their reservation without any thought.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say that I emailed Dave about his tour (which we have booked for May of 2010), and he called me within 2 hours! He says his new goal is to try and respond within 24 hours but obviously during the busy season that is going to be hard to do. The best way to reach him will always be by telephone. We are looking forward to the tour despite the negative reviews because of the flexibility he offers, we can not find that in another operator. He was incredibly knowledgeable on the phone and we are looking forward to it.

I've looked through some of the reviews and not sure if I missed it or not but does he go to Emerald Lake? We want to book our tour with him and just wondered if this was part of the tour. Any information is appreciated.

Yes - he does Emerald Lake - we stopped and walked around the surrounding forest - saw tree "stumps" - evidence of beavers- also saw the tow huge Cruiselione busses that we would have been on if booked thru the cruise - we much preferred our intimate, comfortable van - with a driver that would stop at our request.

- You'll be fine with DAve.

• 2 weeks later...
I've looked through some of the reviews and not sure if I missed it or not but does he go to Emerald Lake? We want to book our tour with him and just wondered if this was part of the tour. Any information is appreciated.

He does go to Emerald Lake, We however will be too early in the season and he told us honestly that the lake wont have the color yet so we shouldn't expect it so we may skip Emerald Lake and head to Dyea or somewhere else instead, we appreciated his honesty so much, something you wouldn't get with the tour buses who only care about booking numbers.

Thanks all for the information. I sent Dave an email and he got back to me in less than 24 hours. We were able to book our tour. And if we don't get Dave for a tour guide we still plan to have a good time. Besides on the ship tours you never know who yur guide is and sometimes they aren't so great either. We're really looking forward to this one.

I e-mail Dave about a tour with him for June, 2010 and he called me back within the hour. He has a great sense of humor and I certainly hope he is our guide as I think we will have a great day with him. I'll be looking forward to seeing that top hat of his when we get off the ship. He gave me his home and cell phone (which is better for reaching him in season) should we need to make any changes. I'll call and reconfirm with him in early May as I do reconfirm all my private tours. It's really not fair to the tour operators who do not require a deposit to just not show up so I like to make sure I reconfirm so they know I will be there.

Jackie

I haven't been on this board in over a year, but saw this thread and NEEDED to post.

I worked with Dave for an independent tour in June 2008. Communication at that time with him was exceptional; he would get back to me same day via email. Never had (or needed) phone conversation. He showed up just where and when he said with his top hat on! I was looking for transportation to the Chilkoot trail to do some hiking. I didn't want to go on the cookie-cutter boat tour. We wanted to HIKE. And we did! He dropped us off and returned for us a few hours later.

He won't guarnatee it, but we saw a bear on the drive back from the Chilkoot. :)

He even took us to his home, built I think in the 50s, with its own amazing history. Dropped us off for lunch, then we shopped and ran our butts off to get back from the 7 pm train.

Highly recommend him and highly recommend the Chilkoot for whatever time you can dedicate to it. It was amazingly beautiful and a great historical experience. HARD hike, so be in shape!

• 3 weeks later...

We contacted him for a May trip to Emerald Lake, he responded by phone within 30 minutes. He said to tell everyone on CC to put the date of your excursion in the subject line and to include a phone number. He does not like technology, he wants to talk by phone.

We contacted him for a May trip to Emerald Lake, he responded by phone within 30 minutes. He said to tell everyone on CC to put the date of your excursion in the subject line and to include a phone number. He does not like technology, he wants to talk by phone.

I too contact Dyea Dave and he responded by phone immediately and I have already booked with Dave and he has stated that he will handle my tour personally, In May 2010.

Dave is great. We took his tour last year and really had a blast. Even saw bears although that was not planned for. Emerald Lake was beautiful and the pictures I took of mountains reflected in the still waters of various roadside lakes were stunning. He's a character and really tries to do right by the customer. Your preferences are taken into account when possible (like where to go for lunch) and it is very easy to hop on and off the small bus (large van) to grab a quick photo op. He'll take you by the post office in Carcross to get your passport stamped and avoids the large crowds that the busses bring in. We took the train back to Skagway and prepaid for our tickets via phone and picked them at the train depot in town before we headed to Canada. Yes, he is electronically challenged and makes no bones about it. Call him. You'll have a great time.

I didn't organize the tour with Dave, another CC member did the leg work. I can comment on the tour though. He tailored the tour to the people in the van. Some of us wanted to ride the train one way and others didn't so he was flexible with all of us. Some wanted to shop and others didn't, thus he came back picked some up at the train and returned them to the ship as they couldn't walk as far. This man is goes above and beyond trying to make your day in Skagway special. I have some great pictures because he was able to stop where the big buses couldn't. I even loved his jokes......

I sent Dave an email last night about 7PM eastern time and my phone rang at 7:25 and it was him!!!! We booked a trip to Emerald Lake with Dave him for July. He seemed very informative, flexible and willing to please his clients. I hope we get him as our driver. If not, we will still enjoy the day.

Contacted Dave by email a few weeks ago and he replied within 2 hours. He also emailed back every time I did and gave me any information I requested. We booked the tour to Emerald Lake and are really looking forward to the tour with Dave. I'd be willing to bet his tours are a lot of fun.

Pat

Contacted Dave by email a few weeks ago and he replied within 2 hours. He also emailed back every time I did and gave me any information I requested. We booked the tour to Emerald Lake and are really looking forward to the tour with Dave. I'd be willing to bet his tours are a lot of fun.

Pat

You will have a great time with Dave. He is a riot. Very quick witted and very knowledgeable about the area and the history of the gold rush. If you have some ideas on what you want to do he is more than willing to stop anywhere or change the tour.We also did the Emerald lake tour in Aug. and the the lake is amazing. Rode up with Dave and stopped in Frazer on the way back and took the train down (WP&YR) Don't miss this.

I hate to be negative, but we had an all-day with Dave in August 2009. We booked him because of the overwhelmingly positive and huge number of positive reviews on these boards. On the positive side, Dave is a really, really nice guy and he really knows his stuff. He is very flexible and the smaller experience is much nicer than the big bus thing. However, he has an odd sense of humor and you have to be willing to play along with it and appreciate it regardless or it will be a VERY LONG day. We had a day when the weather was not the absolute best, but it seemed to us like we spent the whole day in the van (went all the way up to Emerald Lake in the Yukon --- which is absolutley gorgeous, by the way) without alot of return on that time. Maybe it was an off-day for him, but the jokes seemed very very practiced and kind of lame and there wasn't alot of response when no one was appreciating them. I'd give this overall experience a C- at best. However, it might have just been an off day. Consider this just one more opinion to consider as you make your choices.

I am a teacher and as I looked through these reviews, I am not sure how all the positives and one negative can add up to be a C-?? I actually just booked a trip with Dyea Dave and had a most pleasurable phone conversation. He helped me customize a package that I would be happy with. Not to mention, he provided me with other great information about Alaska itself. I am really looking forward to my adventure with Dyea Dave! So far, he has an A+ in my book!

I am a teacher and as I looked through these reviews, I am not sure how all the positives and one negative can add up to be a C-?? I actually just booked a trip with Dyea Dave and had a most pleasurable phone conversation. He helped me customize a package that I would be happy with. Not to mention, he provided me with other great information about Alaska itself. I am really looking forward to my adventure with Dyea Dave! So far, he has an A+ in my book!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Each comment is that person's opinion. You may have the exact same experience and rate it an A. The beauty of CC is that you get many people's opinions. I too am booked with Dyea Dave.

Archived