Dyea Dave in Skagway?

tacotam

Hi,

We booked a tour with Dave for the White Pass and Emerald Lake. I phoned him, found him very pleasant and helpful. We also had an e-mail from him confirming our date and making exact time and place arrangements. HE DID NOT TURN UP!!!! We waited for almost two hours at the arranged spot. We phoned any known telephone numbers for him, and several friendly tour guides on the pier helped us to try to contact him - but his voice mail was full. I have had no word from him since, no apology - nothing. He certainly spoiled our day in Skagway, and I guess it was a once-in-a-lifetime occasion for us!

Hope you have more luck!

Scotswoman.

So sorry to hear about this. I totally sympathize as we had a similar experience with and independent operator of a bear tour in Icy Straight Point a couple of years ago. I remember thinking before our cruise how nice it was that they didn't require an advance deposit and how pleasant they seemed. All of our email correspondences were wonderful, but the day of the tour they stood us up. It turns out a large party exited the ship before we did and they opted to take them instead - they had 9 and we only had 4, with two of them at a child's rate. Simple math shows that the other party was worth more to them, even though we had a confirmed reservation.

Ever since that experience I refuse to book with any operator that does not require a deposit and have some kind of firm cancellation policy. I feel if an operator is asking you to make an investment in commiting to the tour, they are also making a firm commitment to you as a customer as the exchange of funds creates a valid contract. When there is no financial commitment, it is to easy for either party to just back out at the last minute. When you have scheduled your whole day around a particular tour, it is really hard to regroup. I know that it really put a damper on our day in Icy Straight Point, a port I was really looking forward to.

I really feel for you. It's a tough thing to deal with when you plan for something for such a long time and trust that people are going to follow through on their word.

Coberg- Recommend the Park Service. It's one of the first buildings on the right entering town and you can't miss it! Recommend going an hour early. The NPS has a short video that puts Skagway into historical context. They also have displays and artifacts from the Trail of 98.

It's a 5-15 minute walk from the ship to Downtown (depending on which dock). If there are mobility issues, meeting at the ship might be better.

Last year Dave wore a stovepipe hat and was easy to spot.

Scotswoman- Sorry that happened, I would have been livid. It's the first time I've heard about a tour being "no show". Dave seemed a bit disorganized when were there but it turned out a ship had arrived late and he was shuffling things around. I think he's getting swamped by his popularity and the "backoffice" needs to be improved. Not making excuses, just surprised and sorry that happened.

Hi,

We booked a tour with Dave for the White Pass and Emerald Lake. I phoned him, found him very pleasant and helpful. We also had an e-mail from him confirming our date and making exact time and place arrangements. HE DID NOT TURN UP!!!! We waited for almost two hours at the arranged spot. We phoned any known telephone numbers for him, and several friendly tour guides on the pier helped us to try to contact him - but his voice mail was full. I have had no word from him since, no apology - nothing. He certainly spoiled our day in Skagway, and I guess it was a once-in-a-lifetime occasion for us!

Hope you have more luck!

Scotswoman.

Please keep us posted if you hear from Dyea Dave. When was your trip?

We scheduled a tour with Dave some months ago for June 9th. I emailed him a day or two before we left to confirm and he replied to my email. On the day we were to meet him, I called 907-209-5031 and reached him. He was on the way to the dock. He lives right in town. We had a great tour, saw two up-close.... 5-10 feet, bears, had lunch at a lovely sandwich shop owned by a widow. It was as good as any ship-sponsored tour PLUS it was just our family of 7 in the van and we went where we wanted, when we wanted. When we got back to Skagway, he took our son and his family on a hike. No complaints from the Fullers.

Noticed you are taking the trip with Dave on Aug. 17th, my husband and I are also on a trip to Emerald Lake with him on that date. Also notice you are staying at the Sheraton in Anchorage, we are also there but on the 12th & 13th, will take the train to Seward on 14th.

My DH and I took this tour with Dyea Dave on June 2, and had a wonderful time with him. He picked us up @ the pier, went to Emerald Lake, then back to Skagway @ 3:30. We saw 2 bears, sheep, & moutain goats. Very good service for the price. Hope your tour works out.

1319554678_AlaskaMay2009090.jpg.689c5bd460fcb99c4467a5ea4f2fefbc.jpg

My DH and I took this tour with Dyea Dave on June 2, and had a wonderful time with him. He picked us up @ the pier, went to Emerald Lake, then back to Skagway @ 3:30. We saw 2 bears, sheep, & moutain goats. Very good service for the price. Hope your tour works out.

Hi Kay C,

We've booked Dave for July 12 for the Emerald Lake Tour. Did you do the train one way and van the other, or van with Dave both ways?

Thanks, Sam

Hi Kay C,

We've booked Dave for July 12 for the Emerald Lake Tour. Did you do the train one way and van the other, or van with Dave both ways?

Thanks, Sam

We have booked this day with Sammy1 too. I am sure that all will work out - lets just think positively. It must be pretty tough sometimes trying to work around ship's changing dates (as happened in our case Sitka day swopped with Skagway). This puts everything up in the air and requires morning excursions to change to afternoons.

Sammy1 we will contact Dyea Dave closer to the time and confirm. If something happens, perhaps we will be able to organise another option. But given all the positive reviews it should be fine.

Thanks to all for sharing your positive trips with Dave. That is the reason that we booked initially with him as I had never read a bad review. Just have had issues with contacting him to organise and confirm.

;)

Hi Kay C,

Thanks, Sam

Sam,

We went with Dave both ways. There were only 2 other couples with us, and we all did the same.

Kay

Because of being stood up at pier .I emailed Dave to make sure we are still booked for July 12 and 19 ...i hope the ship does not change itinerary ...that would complicate things

I am waiting for reply .I'm sure he is out every day with all those ships in town on different days

I will post if I hear from him

I'm so sorry you did not get to go to Yukon with him ...I would be VERY upset as I am really looking forward to YUKON ...after all I am CANADIAN and how often will I be in the neck of those woods!!!!!!

Michele

Our day with Dave was magical, well almost, if I had seen a bear it would have been magical :D When we toured with him at the first of May they weren't out yet. I have to rate his tour right up there in the the top ten that I have done. I really appreciated his telling us to wait to purchase the train ticket once we got there. If we had booked the early train we wouldn't have seen anything. He also has a very keen eye for wildlife when he is driving. We were on our own independent car and not sandwiched with others on our train trip.

He is the real deal.

I just returned from my first (hopefully not last) trip to Alaska. Months ago my sister and I booked with Dyea Dave for a tour on June 8. My sister was not feeling well that morning so I decided to go by myself. He met me at the pier (look for his black tophat) and took me downtown to meet Becky who would be my guide for the day. I was a little concerned that Dave would not be taking me because I had read such good things about him but Becky was fantastic!! Dave's business is expanding and he has a couple of other drivers now so he can still keep the groups small.

I visited the National Park Museum and watched a very interesting documentary about the gold rush. Then I walked around town for a few minutes while we waited on the other couple from a ship with a later arrival time. They were a very nice young couple from Aruba and we had a great time together. We had first thought we would take the van one way and the train the other but we had such a good time with Becky that we decided to stay in the van and certainly have no regrets about this. The train looked very crowded.

We saw two different bear on the way up as well as amazing scenery. I was especially enamoured with the waterfalls and Becky kindly stopped everywhere I requested so that I could photograph them. We stopped at Carcross where the other couple wanted to try out the dogsledding carts. I had some time to spend so I decided to do the gold panning. I know this is a cheesy tourist attraction but it was actually fun to learn how to use a gold pan. I also visited the museum and was impressed by the collection of taxidermy animals. The young couple said the dog cart was pretty bumpy. I suggested they try it again someday in the snow because we had a great ride in Colorado in the winter a couple of years ago. We had lunch and headed back, stopping often to take pictures and Becky spotted another bear. We pulled to the side of the road where it was busy eating dandelions and after a few minutes another bear came running across the road to join him and it was fun to watch the bears interact. We got to see the first bear stand up on two legs. We watched for quite a while from the safety of the van with the windows rolled down and the back door open. Others stopped behind and in front of us and I was amazed when an RV driver stopped and got out of his vehicle and walked toward the bears. I'm not sure if he was brave or stupid but that made the bears leave and return to the brush.

When we got back close to Skagway, Becky took us up to an overlook that gave us a great view of the town and harbor and our cruise ships. Then we went to the cemetary where "Soapy" Smith is buried and she offered to drop us anywhere in town but I was tired after an exciting day and decided to just return to the ship. I highly recommend this trip to anyone visiting Skagway but call as early as possible as they do book up.

We were with Dave on May 24th and had a wonderful trip. As others have said he is very flexible and will do whatever you like. Going to the Yukon was very special for us. When we got back he "hung" out with us in Skagway and also took us to the beautiful overlook. All I can say is Dave told us his business has increased so much that he is having trouble keeping up with all of his e-mail and phone calls. He was looking to hire some help. No excuse for not showing up, but those of you who are having trouble getting ahold of him may not hear back from him right away. I must say though Dave seemed very dedicated to his business and customers.

The scenery is different from the train versus the road as you are on both sides of the canyon. We did a WP train up and then DAve's van tour on May 29th. We did see bears- right up close and personal, more than once. There were two groups in our van, our group of four and another group of 7 and it was quite comfortable. It was a very cold and snowy day on the train up . but very clear, and rainy on the way down. DAve met us at the dock at 7:30am, took us to the train station where we each paid $81 for the one way trip to Fraser, then he met us in Fraser (the border) for the van tour through CArcross to Emerald lake and back to Skagway. I wasn't that impressed with the "restaurant" we stopped at in Carcross, but Dave did mention that the place he usually uses was temporarily closed. He did offer to pay the lunch and have us pay him back in Am funds, but we didn't need to do that as we still had money left over from Vancouver. We stopped at a little post office in CArcross( the longest still operating p.o. in Canada) to have a symbolic stamp put in our passports, and then again at the customs house in Alaska on the way back in. We also stopped at the world's smallest desert just outside of Carcross and a sled dog place and a small museum and then at an overview back in Skagway. DAve's fee was $50 , but it has since gone up to $60. For the time spent, I think it was very worthwhile.

We were docked at the Ore Dock in Skagway, and met Dave there @ 7:30 am. We then went to the Train Dock and picked up another couple. He then took us to the National Park Museum ( it opened @ 8 am)and saw a video about the history of the gold rush and the Klondike Trail. After that was over, ( about 30 minutes), we left for our tour.

AS promised I got a call from Dave so I'm posting about it .Yes we are comfirmed on his tours and he was very accommodating .I am really looking forward to meeting him and seeing beautiful scenery

He was most charming and FUNNY ..He sounds like a responsible guy who takes his job seriously and that's cool with me !!!!

Cannot wait to meet the gentleman with the black top hat!!!!

Michele

Dave's tours are strict about pick up times. I spoke to Dave's sister Ruth yesterday and she said they need to stay on strict pick up times to keep to their schedules and if you're five minutes late....you may have "missed the boat". There isn't a better nor more personalized tour, but essential you are at your pick up point timely.

Phone service can be spotty in places and he's difficult to contact while he's working.

Good job we persevered. Awaiting the full story but cousin in Canada rang for me and was told DD now will not pick us up so we have to make other arrangements.:mad:

Timings mean I cannot go with Chilkoot either as need someone who take pick us up after 10.15 when we get back from the Helicopter trip.:(

We just recently returned from Alaska and although we did not book with Dave (we decided to rent a car and do our own thing) - we saw Dave at the pier waiting for his group and spoke with him there. We also saw him several times along the way as his route was the same we were taking. He actually thought we were on his tour only in a different vehicle. At one of the stops later is when he found out we were not on his tour and we all got a good chuckle over it. We found him to be extremely friendly and helpful. He even told us where to look to see a bear on our way back. We looked where he said and we did see the bear. I would not hesitate to book a tour with him if I had the chance.:D

Nancy:)

I recently did the tour all the way to Emerald Lake with Dave. It was one of the better trips on my cruise. He is definately a "character." He's as independent as they come and sometime will answer your e-mails and sometimes not. But his tour is far better than most I found and a heck of a lot less expensive. He will stop along the way for anything you want so you can take photos.

What about bathroom stops with Dave? That is why I was looking to rent a car, but the Dave tour really sounds interesting and more educational than doing it on our own. but, on your own you can stop when you want.

Any thoughts?

Hi Kay C,

Thanks, Sam

We are booked to Dyea with DAVE on the 12th??????Is that possible????

Michele

Archived