Dyea Dave in Skagway?

tacotam

We are scheduled to go with his friend since Dave was booked (some of you here called before I even knew we were cruising I suspect). I had no trouble reaching him- called at 9am, told he was not there and would be back a couple of hours later. Called then and he was there. He was a delight and hope his friend is as easy going and witty. I am very much looking forward to this trip.

I went with Dave in June last Year - and as I recall from posts to this thread, USA citizen's can't DRIVE across the border into Yukon, as its Canada.

I'm from Australia, and didn't have that restriction, and I had even purchased the Map for the drive and had booked a rental, but even then, $120 for a rental vs $130 for 2 seats in Dav's van with a guide - its a no brianer. I cancelled the rental and went with dave - it was great.

I forgot to ask, how does Emerald Lake look? Is it completely thawed yet?

Emerald Lake was still frozen, but you could see the green color of it already, Dave said this is the earliest in the season he has ever seen the color so again we were lucky!

I went with Dave in June last Year - and as I recall from posts to this thread, USA citizen's can't DRIVE across the border into Yukon, as its Canada.

I'm not sure about this, but I do know everyone has to remember their passport, someone on the other bus forgot theirs and had to go back to the ship causing everyone to be late, so make sure you pack it ahead of time!

I'm not sure about this, but I do know everyone has to remember their passport, someone on the other bus forgot theirs and had to go back to the ship causing everyone to be late, so make sure you pack it ahead of time!

I wondered what this Americans cannot drive across the border meant too. Clearly Americans can drive from the US to Canada and do so in droves on a daily basis. I myself have done it many many times. So it must mean something other than what it says- maybe you had to be there to understand.

I booked with Dave for a trip to the Carcross, Yukon, and Emerald Lake Tour for our stop in Skagway on May 7, 2010. Dave's website mentioned that we could take the train oneway and then tour with him the rest of the way, especially if the weather was nice. We met Dave around 7:40 (before our 8 am meet time) because it looked like a good day to take the train. He dropped us off at the train station and said he would meet us in Fraser at the train. The train ride was great--beautiful views. In Fraser we waited about 15 mins before Dave's sister, Ruth, picked us up in her van. Dave was in his bus with 9 other passengers. Six of us rode the train and went in the van. The others, who did not ride the train, went with Dave in his bus (which I believe holds 14-15?). Anyway, we saw all of the promised sites, which were beautiful, and stopped for a good lunch, but I was disappointed with our "tour." Ruth wasn't much of a tour guide and didn't really narrate our trip. She basically was just a driver who occassionally pointed stuff out. I later overheard another passenger saying they had a great time on Dave's tour, and that they were out until almost 6 pm with Dave--three hours longer than the 6 of us in the van. So if you can get Dave then you may have a great time, but if not then you may be disappointed as I was.

I booked with Dave for a trip to the Carcross, Yukon, and Emerald Lake Tour for our stop in Skagway on May 7, 2010. Dave's website mentioned that we could take the train oneway and then tour with him the rest of the way, especially if the weather was nice. We met Dave around 7:40 (before our 8 am meet time) because it looked like a good day to take the train. He dropped us off at the train station and said he would meet us in Fraser at the train. The train ride was great--beautiful views. In Fraser we waited about 15 mins before Dave's sister, Ruth, picked us up in her van. Dave was in his bus with 9 other passengers. Six of us rode the train and went in the van. The others, who did not ride the train, went with Dave in his bus (which I believe holds 14-15?). Anyway, we saw all of the promised sites, which were beautiful, and stopped for a good lunch, but I was disappointed with our "tour." Ruth wasn't much of a tour guide and didn't really narrate our trip. She basically was just a driver who occassionally pointed stuff out. I later overheard another passenger saying they had a great time on Dave's tour, and that they were out until almost 6 pm with Dave--three hours longer than the 6 of us in the van. So if you can get Dave then you may have a great time, but if not then you may be disappointed as I was.

Thanks for your honest review. We are scheduled with Ruth right now so I will need to give this tour more thought. I appreciate your help in making an informed decision.

We just got off the SPIRIT and had Dave he is wonderful! We saw a Bear - twice, Moose, rabbit, sheep, goats, and a pocupine. If you see something and point it out to him he turns around so you can get to see it. Emerald Lake is as green and colorful as all of the pictures you see. And we can say we were within 10 feet of a bear- that was a wild experience!

His tour was GREAT, and WE would reccomend to anyone! Kathi, if you are out there he is worth the money and will stop anywhere you want; much better than renting the car. He is a wealth of info and general facts as well as some humor! Pictures to be posted in the reviews later!

We are booked with Dan on June 2nd. Do you think we are missing out if we don't do the train but just ride with Dan both ways? He has told us to wait until we get there to decide about the train, when we see what the weather is like. I'm just wondering if we see the same thing with him.

We opted not to do the train since the road Dave drives on follows the train path. (We could see the tracks half the time) With Dave we were able to pull off at every driveway and take whatever pictures (or see the wildlife) we wanted then continue on. This I liked better then the train that doesn't stop but plows on. I don't think I missed much by not being on the train.

we have reservations with dave for a tour in skagway on friday, june 25. Im interested to know what time he brings you back to the dock. only thing we know is 6-7 hour tour. that would put us back at the dock at 3pm. would you say those times were accurate?

We're trying to see if we can squeeze in a dogsledding excursion at 4:15. dogsledding is very expensive and dont want to run to close on time.

any insight is much appreciated.

We just toured with Dyea Dave. For any of you thinking about it ~~ it was the highlight of our cruise. He went out of his way to be sure we all saw everything we wanted to see (including bears just outside our van!). He is very entertaining and knowledgeable. I highly, highly recommend him.

Shirley

Dave will fit the tour to you, if you tell him you need to be back for another tour he will get you back. or you can write him or call and he might can get you into the dog sledding. He seems to know everyone!

Carcross was not open by train we did drive into it and there was not much open yet! I think you probably see everything by the van that you see on the train but several in my group had to do the train! We took the train to Fraizer. We also waited until that day to decide, the weather was beautiful!

The lake was thawed and beautiful! We saw several types of wildlife. He pulls over at any sighting so be prepared the van may make a quick U.

Highly, Highly reccommend!

We just toured with Dyea Dave. For any of you thinking about it ~~ it was the highlight of our cruise. He went out of his way to be sure we all saw everything we wanted to see (including bears just outside our van!). He is very entertaining and knowledgeable. I highly, highly recommend him.

Shirley

Did you stop anywhere to eat? If so, what did you eat?

Hmmm, it's a bit disappointing to read that his sister doesn't give much information on the tour. Dave said his bus doesn't have space to he put us in his sisters bus.

DAVE!!! Would you train your sister to do the tours a bit more like yours?! :D

• 2 weeks later...

My parents and I travelled with dave on 26th may and we initially thot of coming back on the train but had such a blast travelling up with Dave that we decided to just stick with the van on the way down.

I did not expect a phone call from him as I am located in Singapore but he was very responsive when I emailed him.

best of all, unlike some tours that asked you to pay them first and if there is any cancellation, there is no refund, Dave doesn't expect to be paid until end of the tour. In fact, when we decided to drop of at the town area, we just pass the money to him and he doesn't even check to see if we paid him right. He even said if we happened to see any of his vans in town, just stopped them and anyone of them will gladly gave us a ride back to our dock...fabulous...go with Dave and you will not regret it

Archived