Live from the Ruby, April 11-18

wrongwaywatson

I am writing this from our Riviera Balcony looking out on Ochos Rios, Jamaica! What a sight. Here is my recap so far:

Embarkation: This is our 4th Princess Cruise and we have never had an issue getting on the ship. We broke all records this time. We spent the night in West Palm Beach with our DD and she drove us to the pier. We got out of our car at 11:57 (we checked the time on our cell phone) and we were thru customs at 12:07! I texted her and told her and she said that she had just gotten out of the port. We had our picture taken and were on the Piazza deck buying our soda cards at 12:10. It was truly unbelievable.

Our cabin was ready for us and was very nice. We met our cabin steward, Mongkon who was very nice. We went for lunch and there was a line, but we found a table in Café Caribe without any trouble. The food in the buffet was good. We also were asked 3 times while we were sitting there if we would like a drink.

There were 6 ships all getting ready to sail at the same time. We watched the Carnival (Sensation, I believe) leave and then we were next. We were parked right next to a MSG ship that looked very nice, also. We have anytime dining, so we went to the Michelangelo dining room for dinner. We sat at a table for 2 and didn’t have to wait at all. We went down about 6:15, while a lot of people were still doing the sailaway party. We both had prime rib and it was very good. We ordered it medium rare and it was actually medium rare. We had the Love Boat Dream for dessert, which was as good as I remember. I have been dreaming about Love Boat Dreams since I got of the CB last March. We took in the sail away show in the Princess Theatre. It was very good. The singers and dancers were good and Kevin Jordan the comedian was very good. We plan on seeing him again for a full show. We didn’t hit the night life at all, we aren’t really into that scene.

Day 2: Sea Day. The weather was glorious. We had the breakfast buffet again and no complaints. It has been very good for a buffet. Service in the buffet has been better than I have remembered. I went out to the pool with the Movies Under the Stars about 10:30. There were lots of chairs saved, but I found one in a good spot and settled in for the day. I never really saw chairs that had stuff on them, but sat empty. People seemed to be coming back to their chairs when they left. No one seemed to be gone longer than 30 minutes or so. They played Wii Fit and then showed The Bee Movie at noon. I was surprised that they were showing it this year, because it was playing last year on the CB. Oh well, I read my book during that anyway. We had a quick lunch in the buffet and it was good once again. I got a piece of pizza later and liked that, also. At 2:00 they showed the Masters. As a golfer, I was very excited about that. I found 2 chairs that were in an excellent spot and moved to them and called my DH to come up with me. He had been sitting on our balcony readying up till then. I stayed out there till about 5:00, then left to get ready for dinner. DH didn’t want to dress up that night, so we ate in the Café Caribe. The food once again was very good, we thought. Our waiter was VERY attentive to us. Our coke classes remained full the entire meal. The only downfall was I wanted my Love Boat Dream! We walked downstairs about 9:00 and I asked the girl checking cards and reservations in the dining room if we could get 2 Love Boats to go and she told me to wait over in the International Café. I sat down there and about 3 minutes later a waiter came bringing me 2 Love Boats. We went back to our cabin and ate them on the balcony. That was very nice! We wanted to go to the movie that was playing and see Kevin Jordan, but we got comfy in our room and ended up going to bed at 10:00. That is the beauty of a cruise, you do what you want when you want it, or you do NOTHING!

The weather was glorious all day and the seas have been very calm. We are feeling very little movement, even in our Aft cabin. Just a gentle rocking that helps me sleep like a baby.

Practically every Princess person I saw greeted me with a smile. They have went out of their way to do things for us. I encountered a lady at the pool bar who ordered a Diet Coke, took a swig of it and said very loudly and snotty: This is a regular coke and I ordered Diet. Give me a diet now!” A few of us just stared at her in disbelief. Even if the bartender HAD given her a regular coke, it was rude and uncalled for. The bartender just apologized and gave her a new drink. I don’t know why some people feel entitled to treat people badly. It is much easier to smile at them and be nice.

Day 3: Ochos Rios, Jamaica. We went to breakfast about 6:30 and could see the island.

That takes me up to now, as I sit on the balcony. I will post more later. We don’t have any excursions planned this cruise. I have been to Dunns River Falls before, so we decided to just walk around the shopping center. The Celebrity Century is just pulling up next to us. It is a pretty ship, too.

“Talk” to you all later!

Please continue your informative postings. We're seriously considering the Ruby for a cruise next February.

We sailed on the Ruby on her inaugaral voyage. She is absolutely beautiful. We are doing the transatlantic and med cruise starting April 18th; a 28 day fabulous cruise. Everything was wonderful on the cruise. We had cruised with several of the staff before, so it was nice to see familiar faces. If you decide to cruise on her, I am sure you will have a great time.

wrongwaywatson - my DH and I will be cruising on 10/25/09 on the Ruby cabin R750, which aft balcony are you in? If possible can you please take pictures and post when you return....:D Also let us know how close we will be to everything including the terrace pool.

Thanks

Radtech :)

We are in R738 and love the location. We haven't really felt much back here, but the seas have been very calm, not much wind. I will take pictures and post when I get off the ship. I will check out R750 for you. The location is excellent here! We are 3 doors from the door to the terrace pool. Go up the steps and you are in Cafe Caribe. Very convenient.

We are in R738 and love the location. We haven't really felt much back here, but the seas have been very calm, not much wind. I will take pictures and post when I get off the ship. I will check out R750 for you. The location is excellent here! We are 3 doors from the door to the terrace pool. Go up the steps and you are in Cafe Caribe. Very convenient.

glad to hear about the location ,we just booked R-737 for next march, 10 day to southern carribean,any pics would be great

Wrong Way-

Can you do HUGE favor??? I was on the Ruby two weeks ago and I had an amazing bottle of wine and I forgot to get the name. If you would be so kind it was bottle number 61. It was on the MD suggestion list (Left side of the wine menu). It was a white Burgundy from France. If you could get the name, region of France and the year I would be grateful. The bottle cost $58.00.

Thanks so much

Vicki

Wrong Way-

Can you do HUGE favor??? I was on the Ruby two weeks ago and I had an amazing bottle of wine and I forgot to get the name. If you would be so kind it was bottle number 61. It was on the MD suggestion list (Left side of the wine menu). It was a white Burgundy from France. If you could get the name, region of France and the year I would be grateful. The bottle cost $58.00.

Thanks so much

Vicki

I brought home the wine list from the Golden in Feb.

#61 is Chassagne-Montrachet from the Cote de Beaune region of France.

It was $59 (They don't list the year)

Does that sound right?

I brought home the wine list from the Golden in Feb.

#61 is Chassagne-Montrachet from the Cote de Beaune region of France.

It was $59 (They don't list the year)

Does that sound right?

Yes that was it.

Thank-You Thank-You

It was an amazing bottle:D:D

You're welcome.

This is the second time in 39 years of cruising (first cruise was our honeymoon) that my obsessive bringing home of all the Patters etc. has had any value. :eek:

The first time was when we needed to prove to Princess that we had sailed on Sitmar and I had all the old menus and daily newsletters. :o

You're welcome.

This is the second time in 39 years of cruising (first cruise was our honeymoon) that my obsessive bringing home of all the Patters etc. has had any value. :eek:

The first time was when we needed to prove to Princess that we had sailed on Sitmar and I had all the old menus and daily newsletters. :o

Well, I am truly grateful for your obsessive ways.

wrongwaywatson - my DH and I will be cruising on 10/25/09 on the Ruby cabin R750, which aft balcony are you in? If possible can you please take pictures and post when you return....:D Also let us know how close we will be to everything including the terrace pool.

Thanks

Radtech :)

Hey, Radtech, I think you will like R750. It is just a few doors down. It is at the end of the hallway. We love the location. I will definately try and get this cabin again. My DH said that the only drawback is you can hear when the door to the terrace pool slams. I haven't heard it, though.

Tuesday, Grand Caymen.

We got into Grand Caymen around 7 am. We had breakfast in the buffet then took a tender in about 8:30. We walked to the shopping center and were surprised at the stark difference between Grand Caymen and Jamaica. Jamaica was so poor and Grand Caymen seemed like a very wealthy area. Lots of really big financial institutions. All the regular shops were there. We walked down to an area where people were snorkeling and we could see the fish from the bank. I picked up some Retin-A for some of my friends and we headed back to the ship. We had decided before hand that we weren’t going to book any excursions this year, just relax and do NOTHING! When I got out to the pool area, which was pretty empty, Enchanted was playing on the Movies Under the Stars. At 1:00 they played Iron Man and at 3:15 Quantum of Solace (the new James Bond movie). Tonight they are showing a Christina Aguilera concert and then at 10:15 Cirque Du Soleil. Nothing that we want to see in the lounges tonight. Figures, last night we wanted to see the movie, the comedian and the production show and tonight - nothing. Slumdog Millionaire is playing in the Princess Theatre at 10 and DH wants to see that. I can already tell that I won’t make it. I sunbathed from 10:30 to 4:30 today, and the sun wipes me out!

I saw where a few people threw towels on chairs today and then left and went into Grand Caymen. Just a few people, not a lot. Service was very good again today. No complaints. Everyone seems genuinely friendly and happy.

We did get an announcement from the captain that we are having engine problems and can’t attain full speed. They tried to fix it in Grand Caymen, but were unable to. He told us what part needed changed, but I forgot what it was. He said that they have a spare one in Ft. Lauderdale. So, we will not arrive in Cozemel until 10:00. A few tours were cancelled, but most just changed their start time. They said it won’t effect going to Princess Cayes, but said that we will be about an hour late getting into Ft Lauderdale on Saturday morning.

I do have to say, of the 4 cruises that we have taken, this has been the calmest I have seen the waters. The weather has been perfect, low to middle 80s with lots of sunshine and very little wind. I couldn’t have ordered better weather.

We are thinking of eating at Sabatini’s tomorrow. I’m going to call and get reservations later tonight. That’s all for now, will post tomorrow.

Jackie ..suprised to hear about the Engine problems! .....after all Ruby has 6 so you would expect one breaking down not being a problem! when we visited the Bridge early December they were using 5 of the engines and were happily moving along at 22 knots.... once we had left cozumel and were in the Gulf stream the ship was doing over 25 knots still on 5 engines.

By the way who is the current Captain of the Ruby?

Dave.

Tuesday, Grand Caymen.

We got into Grand Caymen around 7 am. We had breakfast in the buffet then took a tender in about 8:30. We walked to the shopping center and were surprised at the stark difference between Grand Caymen and Jamaica. Jamaica was so poor and Grand Caymen seemed like a very wealthy area. Lots of really big financial institutions. All the regular shops were there. We walked down to an area where people were snorkeling and we could see the fish from the bank. I picked up some Retin-A for some of my friends and we headed back to the ship. We had decided before hand that we weren’t going to book any excursions this year, just relax and do NOTHING! When I got out to the pool area, which was pretty empty, Enchanted was playing on the Movies Under the Stars. At 1:00 they played Iron Man and at 3:15 Quantum of Solace (the new James Bond movie). Tonight they are showing a Christina Aguilera concert and then at 10:15 Cirque Du Soleil. Nothing that we want to see in the lounges tonight. Figures, last night we wanted to see the movie, the comedian and the production show and tonight - nothing. Slumdog Millionaire is playing in the Princess Theatre at 10 and DH wants to see that. I can already tell that I won’t make it. I sunbathed from 10:30 to 4:30 today, and the sun wipes me out!

I saw where a few people threw towels on chairs today and then left and went into Grand Caymen. Just a few people, not a lot. Service was very good again today. No complaints. Everyone seems genuinely friendly and happy.

We did get an announcement from the captain that we are having engine problems and can’t attain full speed. They tried to fix it in Grand Caymen, but were unable to. He told us what part needed changed, but I forgot what it was. He said that they have a spare one in Ft. Lauderdale. So, we will not arrive in Cozemel until 10:00. A few tours were cancelled, but most just changed their start time. They said it won’t effect going to Princess Cayes, but said that we will be about an hour late getting into Ft Lauderdale on Saturday morning.

I do have to say, of the 4 cruises that we have taken, this has been the calmest I have seen the waters. The weather has been perfect, low to middle 80s with lots of sunshine and very little wind. I couldn’t have ordered better weather.

We are thinking of eating at Sabatini’s tomorrow. I’m going to call and get reservations later tonight. That’s all for now, will post tomorrow.

Hi there

Hope you are enjoying your cruise........any cruise is a good cruise, right?

Would you mind me being really cheeky? We are booked in E316 next year aboard the Ruby, and when we checked out the deck plans there was only 1 other inside cabin next to us. The rest of the deck plan nearby was just white/plain. Can you tell me what we will find ner our cabin. Suspect it is room steward storage but have no other way of knowing.

Hope you don't mind.

Thanks

Pete.

Wednesday, Cozumel. I am writing this in my balcony and I will cut and paste it into CC tonight. Like I said earlier, we are going to arrive in Cozuel later than expected, due to engine trouble. I guess it is a good thing that they lost an engine now, instead of next week while they were crossing the ocean. That wouldn’t be good!

There are a few things from the previous days that I forgot to include. On the first sea day, the captain asked everyone to look (can’t remember which side of the ship it was on, though) and see the dolphins. There was a school of dolphins swimming and jumping. It was very cool and I wish that I had had my camera with me.

The famous secret lemonade is pretty good! We had forgotten about it until lunch yesterday and I asked a waitress about it. She said that it is available from11am to 11pm every day in the Horizon Court. She went and got us some, but said that she thought it was kind of bland. DH and I both liked it. It was a nice change from all the Diet Coke we had consumed.

I also found the waffle man this morning. Man, those are really good waffles. They are served in the pizza area (next to Scoops) in the morning. I got there about 6:30 this morning and had a nice chat with the fella making the waffles. I wish I had found them

earlier in the cruise. Definitely something I will hit the remaining mornings.

I will post pictures of the cabin for those that asked when we get home.

9:30 pm - We walked into Cozumel today. When they say it is a 3 mile walk, it really is a 3 mile walk! It was very warm, also. It was very busy as the same ships were here that were in Grand Caymen. We took a taxi back after shopping. Today on Movies Under the Stars was Mami Mia, Kung Fu Panda, Australia and The Dark Knight. We were going to eat at Sabatini’s, but decided to try it tomorrow night instead, because we ate a late lunch when we got back and we weren’t hungry tonight at all. Looking forward to a quiet sea day tomorrow.

Great live thread so far.... We had Mongkon a few weeks ago. My kids just loved him. If you remember, tell him the kids that called him M-Dog said hello....

Thanks

Dan

When I say Mongkon I said that the kids you called him M-dog said hello and he laughed and asked if we knew them. I said, no, but explained CC. He laughed really hard and showed me where your cabins were. He said hello back!

When I say Mongkon I said that the kids you called him M-dog said hello and he laughed and asked if we knew them. I said, no, but explained CC. He laughed really hard and showed me where your cabins were. He said hello back!

Thanks Wrongway... Mongkkon was great!!!! The kids gave him a big tip for taking such good care of them.

Dan

Archived