Live from the Ruby, April 11-18

wrongwaywatson

Can you check out the obstruction vies of 501? (8th deck - Emerald Deck).

We are about to book this cabin, and want to know how bad/good the obstruction is prior to confirming. We know that the lifeboats are there...but how bad is it?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Ira

'Live From' threads are one of my favorite things to read on CC...well...everything is my favortie to read on CC!

Oh...wish I was there.:)

We were on the 3rd sailing during Thanksgiving week. We had R739. I loved, loved, loved that location! BTW...I didn't really ever notice the door out to the Terrace Pool area slamming unless it was me going through it, and I had all I could do to hold it so it wouldn't slam. The pressure is amazingly forceful.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and thanks for sharing it with us!:)

Hi Jackie,

I'm really really enjoying your posts on the Ruby, we should have been on the same cruise, but due to ill health, I have MS we had to cancel, so i am very jealous. We have managed to rebook though on the Ruby in July for a Med trip around the Greek isles, so very excited about that. if you have time and don't worry if you don't, could you look at caribe Deck, cabin no 509 to see if wheelchair access is good?/ Also had you seen or met anyone on your cruise who has renewed their wedding vows, i'd like to book the package as a surprise for my husband.

carry on having a wonderful time

Jo:o

Sorry I didn't get back while I was still on the Ruby. I did write more (wrote it in word and was gonna paste it in) but the connection was bad when I tried, and I didn't have a chance to try again. Trying to cram alot into those last days. Here is the rest of what I typed:

Thursday, Sea day. I love sea days! They are my favorite. The weather is beautiful and I plan on soaking up LOTS of sun. Good movies playing today in Movies Under the Stars. I plan on watching Maid of Honor and Dark Knight for sure. We are going to eat light so that we have lots of room for supper tonight.

Well, change of plans. I sunbathed from 10:30 till 4:00 today and loved every minute of it. While there, I spoke with a couple different ladies who had eaten at Sabatinis and the Crown Grill. I’m certain that DH will like the Crown Grill better, so I’m calling to switch the reservations. Besides, tonight is lobster night in the dining room. So, we are going there to eat.

Had one tiny problem by the pool, but not with any chairhogs. A teenage girl and her friend came up and I overhead them talking to the girls mom. The teenager had peed in the pool. I sat up and looked and her in shock. She had told her friend to get out of the pool, because she was going to pee. Her friend to her not to and she did it anyway. Her mom stared at her and I couldn’t help myself. I asked her what was she thinking? I told her I didn’t want to swim around in her pee and I’m sure no one else did either. I said that this is way worse than some 4 year old having an “accident” (don’t like that either, though), because she is 16 years old and knew what she was doing. I told her that she was lucky that the didn’t drain the pool and charge her for the labor. The look on her face was priceless. She was speechless. Needless to say, I didn’t get back in the pool that day.

Just got back from dinner and we didn’t have a wait at all. We were seated at a table for 2. Not sure that we like going to the dining room just the 2 of us, we are used to traveling with friends and usually have a group of 6, but we really don’t want to sit with strangers (that’s one reason we have been eating the buffet). Also, big surprise for DH. When I went to the Caribe Café around 10 to get a cup of tea, I saw that they had crab legs out, so I went back and got him and we went up there for a while. He loved it! All in all, it was a great day. The weather was middle 80s and sunny with a slight breeze.

Friday, Princes Cayes.

Wow, I slept in this morning. I didn’t want to get up! We went for breakfast and then lazed around for awhile. When we went down around 11 to catch a tender there was quite a line, so we turned around. It was a little cooler and not sunny, so we decided to hang around, watch a movie and read. I went up to the MUTS pool and relaxed. Pretty soon the sun came out and it turned out to be a great afternoon. The movie this afternoon was Get Smart. We have reservations tonight at 6 for The Crown Grill.

The Crown Grill. Wow. What can I say? We really enjoyed ourselves. Truthfully, it is something that I probably wouldn’t do if I was traveling with a group of 4 or 6. We always enjoyed eating in the main dining room (anytime dining) with our group of 6, but not so much just 2 of us. However, it didn’t seem as weird sitting in The Crown Grill just the 2 of us. I guess it felt more private. In the other dining room I felt like the tables for 2 were on top of each other. I had the tiger prawn appetizer and the shrimp bisque soup. I ordered the 14 ounce ribeye and the lobster tail. It was WAY to much food for me. My DH put away his steak and part of mine, but we still had some left. The desserts were wonderful. I loved mine and his! However, I would have been just as happy with a Love Boat Dream. It was a wonderful dinner and I’m glad that we gave it a try. We went back to our cabin around 8 and were stuffed. I felt like one of those “weebles” - you remember them don’t you? They wobble, but don’t fall down? We were gonna rest for an hour or so and then go listen to the band in the Explorers Lounge at 9:30. Next thing I know, DH is nudging me and it is 11:30. So much for a wild last night on the boat? I went to the terrace pool bar and got a diet coke and brought it back to the room and we both went back to sleep.

Hi there

Hope you are enjoying your cruise........any cruise is a good cruise, right?

Would you mind me being really cheeky? We are booked in E316 next year aboard the Ruby, and when we checked out the deck plans there was only 1 other inside cabin next to us. The rest of the deck plan nearby was just white/plain. Can you tell me what we will find ner our cabin. Suspect it is room steward storage but have no other way of knowing.

Hope you don't mind.

Thanks

Pete.

I checked it out and it is just like it looks like online. There is a cabin on one side and nothing on the other side. When I walked down the hall past the cabin (by the blank wall), when I got to the elevator I looked and there is an office between the elevators that leads back. My guess is there is storage and possibly an office in the area that is accessed from the door between the elevators. Should be a good spot!

Anyway, we are home now going thru our normal cruise withdrawals! Tomorrow it is back to reality. I have to get up at 4:30 am to go teach an exercise class to start saving money for our next cruise. (I use my "extra" money from teaching fitness classes to pay for our cruises). We had a wonderful time and wish we were still on the beautiful Ruby!

Wrongway-loved your reviews. What is a Love Boat Dream???? Was on the Coral a year ago and do not remember seeing that on the menu. Thanks

The Love Boat Dream is a dessert in the anytime dining rooms. They probably have it in traditional, I just have never eaten there. It is a chocolate mousse ontop a brownie crust. It is very rich and quite good. I will put a picture here for you. This one is actually a double. It was easier than ordering 2!

689827667_loveboatdream.jpg.1a8ea8d51573441d0c7c0ee65cd299f5.jpg

The Love Boat Dream is a dessert in the anytime dining rooms. They probably have it in traditional, I just have never eaten there. It is a chocolate mousse ontop a brownie crust. It is very rich and quite good. I will put a picture here for you. This one is actually a double. It was easier than ordering 2!

Wow, it looks great. Thanks. Do u have any tips as to certain cabins or decks to stay away from? The Ruby is offering a 3 day sampler out of FtL in Dec where we live so want to try it. I have to hold off til DH asks if he can get off the week before Xmas. (usually a no no) We want to book the cheapest balcony we can. Choices are limited at this point i think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Keep teaching those exercise classes cuz a girls best friend is a cruise :D

Both of the balconies that we have had have been on the Riviera Deck. We had 631 and 738 and loved them both. Probably felt less ship movement in 631 than 738, but it is hard to tell. 738 was super convenient. We were right by the door to the terrace pool, which has a bar and an entrace to Cafe Caribe. Very convenient!

Thanks for your live posts from the Ruby. Unfortunately, we were booked on this cruise but had to cancel one week before (thank goodness for cruise insurance) due to a serious illness of a family member. We enjoyed your postings and we know we'll enjoy our next cruise. The Ruby sounds like a wonderful ship!

I checked it out and it is just like it looks like online. There is a cabin on one side and nothing on the other side. When I walked down the hall past the cabin (by the blank wall), when I got to the elevator I looked and there is an office between the elevators that leads back. My guess is there is storage and possibly an office in the area that is accessed from the door between the elevators. Should be a good spot!

Jackie....you're a star,

Thank you very much indeed for taking time out to do that for me. If ever we cruise together remind me and i will stand you a drink or two or three.

Thanks again

Pete.

:wrongwaywatson - welcome back....it sounds like you had a great cruise.:D

Were you able to take any pictures of the rear facing cabin or your cabin? Also thanks for the live review, it made it even more exciting.....:p

radtech :)

We got off the Ruby on 4/4. Sounds like the excellent weather continued through your cruise too. :)

I wonder if the engine problems started on our last night? We were late leaving Princess Cays due to a lifeboat hoist that wouldn't lift the boat. We figured the captain would've really made an effort to get back to FLL on time since it's not far at all from Princess Cays (we were told 60 miles), but we were late getting into Port Everglades. The maximum speed that night was only 20 knots that night. Did you hear anymore about the engine problem, like when it started? :confused:

You purchased Retin A in Grand Cayman? I'm used to buying it in Cozumel, didn't know you could also purchase it in GC (w/o a prescription).

Do you recall how much you paid?

Yes, I paid $22. When I checked later in Cozumel, it was $25. I bought 2 of the .50% nd 1 of the .25%.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I paid $22. When I checked later in Cozumel, it was $25. I bought 2 of the .50% nd 1 of the .25%.

Do you recall where you purchased the Retin A?

The reason I'm asking is that our cruise on May 30 will probably NOT be stopping in Cozumel, and I remembered that I had read somewhere that someone purchased retin A in Grand Cayman. I finally tracked you down!:)

I asked on the Grand Cayman forum and someone from there says you can't buy it there without a prescription.:confused: You didn't have a prescription, did you?

Do any of you know the fax number to request an eggcrate on the Ruby?

Someone posted this a while ago. I faxed it in the day before our cruise and when we got to the room the egg crate was on the bed!!!!!

Make sure the two things in red are correct for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an exemplar of the fax request:

Name

Booking Number ____________

Voyage Number _______/Ship's Name

Sail Date -_________________

Cabin Number - _______

Phone Number - _______________

Web Address - _________________

Fax Transmittal Form

To: Princess Cruises From: Name

ATTN: Special Services Number of Pages: 1

Fax: 661 284 4885

Please request cabin steward place an eggcrate mattress topper and a top sheet on queen arrangement bed.

Is getting the eggcrate on Ruby a requirement (because the beds are so bad) or just something nice to do?

Is it something that you can add later while you there?

Thanks,

Bob

Lots of Princess cruises including the Ruby and we have never asked for an egg crate.

Do you recall where you purchased the Retin A?

The reason I'm asking is that our cruise on May 30 will probably NOT be stopping in Cozumel, and I remembered that I had read somewhere that someone purchased retin A in Grand Cayman. I finally tracked you down!:)

I asked on the Grand Cayman forum and someone from there says you can't buy it there without a prescription.:confused: You didn't have a prescription, did you?

I went to a pharmacy a block or so off the main shopping area in Grand Cayman. I did not have a prescription. All you have to do is ask!:D Good luck. I checked later in Cozumel, and it was a few $$ cheaper in Grand Caymen.

Archived