Opinion please: Fairfield Inn by Marriott - Newark Airport

Jimbo

it's fine...........not fancy, but should be clean...

cab/car service will be between 40-50 bucks....

there's nothing around though...you'd have to go out, order in, or walk over to the courtyard and eat there....IIRC their restaurant serves dinner every day............

Are you looking at any other choices?

yeah...winning the lottery...

OH...not me, jimbo! (i knew that...just kidding!)

jimbo....let us know if you have other thoughts....

(ps, OT, but i was very sad yesterday when i heard about Harry! that really sucks!)

Hey Jimbo!

Why the Fairfield? You live in NJ, so are you driving or perhaps the train since you need a cab to the pier? I'm seeing the Fairfield at $99 for 4/25. I'm also seeing the Hilton at $76 (nonrefundable). The Courtyard at $84 and the Sheraton at $89. And I just found one of Meg's favorites - Country Inn and Suites - for $71.

Found a site online that will let me book the Fairfield for one night 4/25 and park my car there for 14 days for $115.00 total.( one night stay and 14 days parking)

Then we are hiring a car service to transport us back and forth from hotel to the pier for $45.00 per trip.

Total price $205.00 plus $5.00 tip per ride.......equals $215.00.

If I park my car at the pier is it is $19.00 times 13 days...equals $247.00

By my way above we kind of get and extra day vacation.with the extra $32.00 we can go over to the Courtyard hotel next door and have dinner, won't need anything fancy.

I just can't see paying Royal Caribbean $247.00 to park my car:eek:

A least this way above it will seem like we are getting something for our money. Private car to the pier, arrive in style and one night stay at Fairfield and we won't have to worry about the car breaking down on the way to the pier since we will already be there the night before.

Peace of mind by already being up there, leave for the pier at 10:30am ???

Sound good? Anything I'm not seeing with this plan?

The other hotels you mentioned all either don't have transportation to the pier or it would be to much money to park the car for the 13 days we need? plus hire transportation to the pier and back to the hotel.

Yeah, It's sad about Harry Kalas

Jimbo:)

Sounds like an excellent plan. Just be sure to print out the detailed directions to the hotel. I looked at the hotel directions and the mapquest directions. The hotel directions seemed confusing to me. Mapquest says to get off at exit 14 and get on I78 and then off at route 1 & 9 south. What it doesn't emphasize is that you must get on I78 LOCAL. I was just there at the Holiday Inn last weekend so I know how confusing that area can be. We circled around and went right by the Fairfield Inn.

Sounds like an excellent plan. Just be sure to print out the detailed directions to the hotel. I looked at the hotel directions and the mapquest directions. The hotel directions seemed confusing to me. Mapquest says to get off at exit 14 and get on I78 and then off at route 1 & 9 south. What it doesn't emphasize is that you must get on I78 LOCAL. I was just there at the Holiday Inn last weekend so I know how confusing that area can be. We circled around and went right by the Fairfield Inn.

Good Point, I grabbed the pdf file for directions off the Courtyard's site where it says maps and directions. Could you check it out for me and see if those directions look good to find Fairfield.

Directions to the hotel >>

Thanks

I really don't like the hotel's directions. It saves you a few cents of turnpike toll, but it is complicated. If you miss a turn, you are in trouble. Do a mapquest on it. The way I read it is you get off at exit 14, take I78 (I think it is LOCAL - Route 1 & 9 South should be clearly marked as a choice), and get off at routes 1 & 9. Exit 14 is enormous - you can always pull over before you commit to a roadway choice.

If you are coming up NJ Turnpike, either car lane or truck lane, take exit 14A for Newark Airport (not exit 14B or C or D for Holland Tunnel) - keep to your right as you exit & go around the left hand curve to the Toll Plaza, move toward the middle/left lane - then, upon paying your toll/zip thru using EZ-Pass, follow signs for Rt 1/Rt. 9 South - local lane toward Newark Airport as all the exits for various hotels (Fairfield, Sheraton, Days Inn, Courtyard & car rentals on the southbound lane use the LOCAL lane) - It's about a 1 to 1.5 mile drive south after the toll plaza when you start seeing hotels, all of them on the right side/exit. (Budweiser production warehouse as a key landmark for the hotel zones as you drive south)

If you miss it, you will know & the next U-turn will be at the first traffic light - pass the EWR airport terminals - w. gas stations & fast food (Crown Plaza will be on your left, on the northbound LOCAL lane) - just as points of reference.

Traffic really flies along Rt 1/9 express or local - well above the posted 55 mph speed limit so just stay in the right lane.

I really don't like the hotel's directions. It saves you a few cents of turnpike toll, but it is complicated. If you miss a turn, you are in trouble. Do a mapquest on it. The way I read it is you get off at exit 14, take I78 (I think it is LOCAL - Route 1 & 9 South should be clearly marked as a choice), and get off at routes 1 & 9. Exit 14 is enormous - you can always pull over before you commit to a roadway choice.

Did you see the pdf file? They even show road signs once you click on it.

Courtyard Marriott

600 Route 1& 9 South

Newark, Nj 07114

Get off at Exit 14

Then Says after paying tolls, follow signs for Southwest 1-9 22 Newark

That sign will keep you in the center lane, which is where you need to stay

Keep following signs for South 1 9 To 22 Newark

You will see the Hotel on the right hand side approximately 0.8 miles from the toll booth

Doesn't sound to hard to find.This will be a Saturday afternoon, so hopefully it won't be as bad as a work day.

Sounds good to me. I can't see the PDF. I was looking at the hotel directions on their website and they sounded awful to me. The directions you have are fine. It's good you are coming in the daytime - it's really confusing at night.

Did you see the pdf file? They even show road signs once you click on it.

Courtyard Marriott

600 Route 1& 9 South

Newark, Nj 07114

Get off at Exit 14

Then Says after paying tolls, follow signs for Southwest 1-9 22 Newark

That sign will keep you in the center lane, which is where you need to stay

Keep following signs for South 1 9 To 22 Newark

You will see the Hotel on the right hand side approximately 0.8 miles from the toll booth

Doesn't sound to hard to find.This will be a Saturday afternoon, so hopefully it won't be as bad as a work day.

that is correct....the 3 marriott brands are right next to each other....don't stay in the RIGHT most lane....you want to be in the center...and traffic IS nuts....those directions sound fine. you may want to call the hotel itself to confirm!

that is correct....the 3 marriott brands are right next to each other....don't stay in the RIGHT most lane....you want to be in the center...and traffic IS nuts....those directions sound fine. you may want to call the hotel itself to confirm!

one more Important question............:eek:...............:(................:confused:.................... Will my car be there when we return from our cruise?

Jimbo:cool:

one more Important question............:eek:...............:(................:confused:.................... Will my car be there when we return from our cruise?

Jimbo:cool:

yup....just dont leave any valuables....and park under a light....preferably closer to the building....

>Then we are hiring a car service to transport us back and forth from hotel to the pier for $45.00 per trip.

How do I organize that service? In advance or in the hotel or .. Thnks

>Peter, What exactly is your question?

How do I organize a car hire service to transport us from the Newark Fairfield Hotel to the Manhattan Cruise terminal?

-Book in the hotel? In advance? Other?

We are from Holland and have no idea about these things. We end our East Coast tour in the Newark Springhill Suites (next door to FF) and have to move to the HAL Rotterdam on Saturday May 16.

I do not even understand "car hire service". Is that different (cheaper) from taxi?

Aah - now that makes sense. You need Meg's advice. I'm sure she will respond but in the meanwhile here's her blog

Click here for my Cape Liberty Info blog:http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

It is more expensive to go from Newark airport into Manhattan than it is to go from the airport to Cape Liberty. You don't want to take a random taxi cab because they can charge you whatever. By arranging a car service ahead of time, you get a fixed price (+ tip??) and you will pay that amount regardless of the traffic. Meg and I can also offer other suggestions about bus and train to New York if you can roll your luggage a bit. Both the bus station and the train station in NY are a short cab ride to the pier. You would pay the NY cab metered rate for this.

Hey Peter....

Here is the thing...Newark is in New Jersey and your ship is in New York. Taxis from NJ are not permitted to pick up return-to-NJ passengers in New York (same for NY cabbies coming into New Jersey!) THUS you would most likey pay over $100 USD to get to your ship in New York.

So.....most people in this situation get a car service. You can get in touch with many of these through the internet.....

if you click below in my signature there is a link to my blog. I list several car services and most have web sites where you can email them.....

These people will have a flat fee to get to New York...and will cost much less (or they should)

So give that a try and let us know if you need more help!

> click below in my signature there is a link to my blog..

megr1125, that was the difficult thing (didn't work) to do but on your BLog is everything (and more) that we need to know. Thanks for your effort.

> click below in my signature there is a link to my blog..

megr1125, that was the difficult thing (didn't work) to do but on your BLog is everything (and more) that we need to know. Thanks for your effort.

Hmm....well seems you found it...so ask away if you have other questions!

Called the hotel, the Marriott hotel has our reservation......Room and 14 days parking $115.00 total including all taxes and fees. :)

I will report back and tell you the web site I booked it through after I see everything went as stated. I would hate to tell everyone the web site at this time if this was to good to be true and was a scam of some kind.

We will be back home the evening of May 9th to report.

Archived