Dessert Extravaganza?

SpankysMom

When we sailed the Ryndam in 2004 to Alaska, they had a dessert extravaganza one day where they put out all the fancy desserts in the lower dining room for a couple hours. We stood in line and took what we wanted as we passed by the various goodies.

I haven't seen this mentioned here so am wondering if HA does this anymore. Was it just a Ryndam thing or a one time thing? Just wondering if we can look forward to that on our upcoming Westerdam Alaska cruise next month.

Thanks in advance!

SM

On Eurodam in February the Dessert Extravaganza had been replaced by the Lido Party. Same type of function, but not nearly as many desserts as the extravaganza. When we had the extravaganza on Westerdam there were desserts on both sides of the pool, but during the Lido Party they were only on one side. Probably not nearly as much waste.

On our March 22 ms Westerdam Eastern Caribbean cruise, the dessert extravaganza was held starting at 9pm to about 11:30pm at the Lido Pool. Unfortunately they replaced the chocolate extravaganza with this event and didn't tell anyone.

On our March 22 ms Westerdam Eastern Caribbean cruise, the dessert extravaganza was held starting at 9pm to about 11:30pm at the Lido Pool. Unfortunately they replaced the chocolate extravaganza with this event and didn't tell anyone.

When we were on the Eurodam in Nov/Dec -- I noticed this Lido Pool Party listed in the daily program.

Asked about it and was informed that there was just too must waste with the Dessert Extravaganza -- thus we now get this new venue.

It does appear that some of the longer cruises may have both.

I went back and checked our Noordam cruises from Feb.

The first 10 days we had the Lido Pool party as well as the dessert extravaganza -- held in the afternoon in the dining room.

But on the second 10 days -- just the Lido Pool Party.

I've noticed several places you commented you had certain things one way on segment One of your Noordam cruise but different on the second segment, KK.

Makes me curious if there was a change of Hotel Manager or even Culinary Operations Manager from your first cruise to your second?

Most of the ships are slowing moving towards the Lido party at 9 PM where you do have desserts and drinks -- but not as lavish as in the past.

:eek::( what??????? NO chocolate extravaganza? That was the highlight of our Westerdam Alaska cruise in 2006. I had laryngitis, didn't feel good, and we still went down and made absolute pigs of ourselves eating all of the chocolate. It was absolutely decadent...

On the Westerdam last month, they had the dessert extravaganza by the Lido pool. It started at 10 for photos and then serving at 11. I took a few photos and went to bed. We had second seating dinner, so I wasn't hungry and did not want to wait around.

One of the displays said, "Welcome to the MS Westerdam / The Night of Chocolate / Dessert Extravaganza."

There were plenty of chocolate desserts. The display pieces, which I'm sure they use from week to week, were very nice. The most unusual was a chocolate Eiffel Tower, about 3 feet tall.

my guess is there was waste. I attended a couple of the dessert parties and just couldn't eat a thing. No room in the tummy. I did see people taking large platefuls and leaving half of it on the plate. I do better at the teas. Never miss them that is for sure. Do love the mojitos but I'd rather have them at the 2 for 1 Happy Hour.:D

On our Jan 28th Zuiderdam cruise we had both the Lido Pool Party at 9 pm and on another night the Dessert Extravaganza at 10 pm (picture taking-- eating began at 10:30).

Shucks, I missed that. Wonder where I was. :( Some where on the ship

I must say the dessert extravaganzas I have seen the past two years have been quite disappointing.

Five to six years ago, they were much more elaborate and had a bigger variety. In the past, there was even a chocolate fountain where you could dip strawberries.

It has become so disappointing, we probably won't bother going in the future.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I'm glad to know there will be something along those lines when we go next month. The one on the Ryndam was very elaborate but that was four years ago. Hopefully the one on the Westerdam will be as good. SM

I'm a choco-holic and looking very forward to experiencing this on the Zuiderdam in June.

We just got of the Zuidy and I can report even though they changed the name, there were more than enough chocolate treats, and cakes, and pastrys and. . .I think they just added fruit flavored things too.

It was on the Lido, and well surrounded the pool. More than enough food to tase, and waste (sadly) I just wish they had it earlier in the cruise when I was not feeling guilty about extra pounds!

Archived