United to Charge Double

Mildred

Didn't the define "overweight" as people who would not be able to fasten the seatbelt WITH one extension? I think the majority of plus size people would not have a problem with that definition, it would be the morbidly obese individuals that may be charged extra.

I have mixed feelings regarding this. If you are too heavy to fit into one seat, why shouldn't you have to pay for the second seat? It is not the airlines fault, and they are in the business of selling seats. I've seen obese people trying to squeeze into one seat and it is ridiculous. Forget the fact that you are inconviencing the person next to you because your body extends into their space. I guess I agree with the airlines. If your body is too big for one seat, then buy 2. I'm not a light weight either. I am 260 pounds but have always been able to fit into my seat without infringing on other people comfort space. I would also say that if their are extra seats, they should not charge you. But if the flight is full, then you have to pay the extra charge. Or maybe even think about buying a first class ticket, the seats are wider.

This should be illegal.

Perhaps, but it isn't. Southwest instituted this quite awhile ago and it has already been tested in the courts.

It's about time....

I'm no lightweight myself but my butt and belly all fit in one seat with no overflow to squeeze the people next to me or to make it difficult for someone to get in and out of their seat if they want to get up.

If you take up more than one seat, why should you not have to pay for an extra seat?

On most airlines, if I want extra space, I can book two seats for myself. If I need extra space, that is even more reason why I should have to pay for the extra seat.

There is no reason why a person seated next to an overweight passenger should have to suffer with less room than they paid for, nor should an airline have to give up revenue by leaving a seat (partially) empty and unpaid for.

IMO, to suggest otherwise is narcissistic and shortsighted. With all due respect, if you are a large person that only wants to pay for one seat, fly first class or lose the weight. My comments are not meant to be insensitive, but there is no reason the cost of one's need for two seats should be absorbed by others.

I'm sorry but I agree with this. Me, too.

I also don't think it's far about weight restriction on my luggage. Me, too.

I weigh 110 lbs, Me, too.

I should be able to take more luggage:D

Me, too.:o

I, for one, have flown with passengers that have to lift up the arm rest to fit in. I have had to share "my" space which I have paid for and be uncomfortable for a long flight. This is truly unacceptable, to have to rub hips (and more):eek: with a total stranger for an entire flight. I've been told that if there are available seats together, the staff will just let them take two without saying anything. Wonderful accommodation, but if the flight is full should other passengers be inconvenienced, uncomfortable, etc. because the seats are so small? It may be discrimination, but they have all their other passengers to think about as well. Should they automatically pay double, I don't feel that's fair, but if the flight is close to sold out, then they should either upgrade to a large seat (if available) or pay for two seats together. Just my opinion from a recent incident.

I also agree with this. I am paying for "my space" and don't care to share it with someone I don't know. If someone doesn't fit into the seat properly, then they should have to pay for enough space to "fit" into.

I'm somewhat of a light weight also. I agree too, that I should be able to carry on more luggage. :D

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Yes, and thank goodness it happened sooner. Not soon enough, I'd say.

If a person is so huge they can't fit into a standard airline seat, and they're going to spill over into the space someone else has paid for, then the very simple and fair solution is that they should have to buy two seats for themself.

Anyone who has been in a middle seat, with the passengers on either side of you having "size issues", will appreciate this. I'm not exactly a size zero myself, but I DO fit easily into a single seat, and people should pay for what they use.

I was on a flight once that had 3 "passangers of size" in 1 row that would not fit. I was made to move into that row in the middle because I was thin (5'9" 125 lbs). I couldn't put the arm rest down on either side because of "size"of my new seat mates. I ended up with 1/2 a seat. What a misable flight.

This was in my younger, meeker days. No way will I put up with it now! I work hard to stay in shape and fit, I shouldn't be punished for it.

At a recent Wilderness Survival course I attended, a seminar that was offered addressed urban/air travel survival. It was mentioned that the seat structure on most commercial airlines can not support more than a couple hundred pounds and it was advised that people not sit in front of obese people. In the event of a sudden stop or real hard landing, the seat can break loose from the floor and send itself with its passenger through the person in front. That's why I like to sit in front of the little kid behind me. Better some noise than getting crushed.

I am overweigt but only take up the space of one seat & am very careful not to invade another persons space. But that being said I once was on a flight with a young man who was well over 6', very leggy, and took up his leg room & mine (since coach does not have much leg room for even people like me with short legs) which made the flight very uncomfortable. I had to ride the entire flight with my legs in the aisle & had to keep moving them for people to go up & down the aisle..So should he have to pay for 2 seats too since he invaded another persons leg space ? I think people should be careful what they ask for as one person said next they will charge you for the air you breathe. :eek:

First off, this should not be illegal. If you can't fit in one seat, upgrade or buy another seat.

Its either that or they should give the passenger you're pushing in on a machete so they can get their space back.

The biggest problem with this country is that everyone thinks they have a right to impose upon others because they have the right to be that way. Smokers think they can kill no smokers because they have the right to smoke. People think they have the right to cramp me (i'm not small at 6', 250 but i fit in my seat) because they choose to be fat. etc.

fit in the space or pay for more. its simple and its right.

I absolutely agree with this. I was once on a flight next to a huge man that took up a big chunk of my seat. Couldnt even put the arm rests down. It was ridiculous and a very uncomfortable flight. I just dealt with it but I was not happy.

Archived