United to Charge Double

Mildred

What does my reclined seat do to affect your travel? The airlines I've flown seem to recline a very small amount so I'm curious to see how this is an issue. :confused:

Last year on a return trip from Portugal the man in front of me put his seat back at it was just inches from my face. I couldn't move. I had to waken him to ask him to put his seat up so I could eat my meal and get out of my seat to use the facilities. He thought it was hilarious that he was IN MY FACE. I felt trapped. :(

Wow~! :eek: I've never been in an seat or I'm not doing something correctly that reclines like that. I wouldn't be happy with that either. I'll have to keep an eye on my recline in the future and see if it goes back too far. I wouldn't want the person behind me looking at the top of my head near their lap.

I can not understand how so many people can be so insensive. Like Petronillus said we all have our own demons just some do not show outwardly...I wonder how many of you take drugs' date=' drink excessively, talk down to people, cheat on your taxes, steal from the cable company, is a pedifile or a corporate thief etc. all of which do not show when you sit next to someone on an airplane. Everyone of us has some skeleton in our closet. The unfortunate thing about obese people is that they can't hide their downfall/demon... All you insenitive people can believe what you want, but over eating is a medical problem whether it be physical or mental just like smoking, drinking & drugs are. It is a habit that most obese people would love to overcome but have great difficulty doing so. I was once told by a doctor that over eating is the hardest habit to break because unlike smoking, drinking or drugs where they tell you to stay away from people & places where those things are available to you, you can not stay away from food because you do need to eat so the problem is right there in front of you daily. So instead of being so insensitive why not try to be a little more understanding. Hopefully none of you ever have to be in a position where you are embarrased in public. And I will pray for all of you tonight that 1 you become more sensitive & 2 you do not have to ever sit next to an obese person on a plane again, especially me....:eek:[/b']

You might be right about alot of the above. But in all honesty, do you think it's ok for a person of size to spill over into or take up part of someone else's seat making it miserable for them? I'm just curious?

You might be right about alot of the above. But in all honesty, do you think it's ok for a person of size to spill over into or take up part of someone else's seat making it miserable for them? I'm just curious?

I have to agree. I pay for a seat. If the person next to me cannot fit in his/her seat, then they should buy two seats or buy a first/business class seat.

I can not understand how so many people can be so insensive. Like Petronillus said we all have our own demons just some do not show outwardly...I wonder how many of you take drugs' date=' drink excessively, talk down to people, cheat on your taxes, steal from the cable company, is a pedifile or a corporate thief etc. all of which do not show when you sit next to someone on an airplane. Everyone of us has some skeleton in our closet. The unfortunate thing about obese people is that they can't hide their downfall/demon... All you insenitive people can believe what you want, but over eating is a medical problem whether it be physical or mental just like smoking, drinking & drugs are. It is a habit that most obese people would love to overcome but have great difficulty doing so. I was once told by a doctor that over eating is the hardest habit to break because unlike smoking, drinking or drugs where they tell you to stay away from people & places where those things are available to you, you can not stay away from food because you do need to eat so the problem is right there in front of you daily. So instead of being so insensitive why not try to be a little more understanding. Hopefully none of you ever have to be in a position where you are embarrased in public. And I will pray for all of you tonight that 1 you become more sensitive & 2 you do not have to ever sit next to an obese person on a plane again, especially me....:eek:[/b']

Right on! The only thing that I could possibly add is...

What Would (insert your favorite deity here) Do?

I got stuck at the back of the plane once (southwest flight...nearly missed my connection due to delays, so "A" boarding pass did me NO good)..anyway, last row so uncomfy anyway. Then to add to it, i got to share my seat with the lady beside of me, I got 1/2 a seat and was so uncomfortable. By the time we landed I had so much anxiety that I could have bent the seat in front of me. I sat like a caged monkey, lol So I say yes...if you hang over the seat...purchase 2. I have no problem with someone's size, but if I pay for a whole seat I am entitled to it and nothing more.

I know the rationale ... I just don't buy it as valid.
I don't agree with it, either, for the reason that Lookingforfacts gives.

But it was worth pointing out that this is not a one-sided argument. I don't think that either side is "right" or "wrong". It's a question of the philosophy underlying the safety case.

For the poster who was wondering what this has to do with charging people double if they need two seats, it's the same question of paying for the space you use. And people who need two seats also present safety challenges.

Archived