Water Temps in June

dkwall97

I will be on the Carnival Splendor in June and was wondering what the ocean temps would be during this time. The places the ship will be stopping are Puerto Vart.Cabo, and Mazaltan. (poor spelling)

Thank-you in Advance

the water tempreture was 72.3 on April 6th at Santa Maria bay near Cabo and over a hundred were snorkeling off the cats when we went . In Loreto the tempreture was 71. 6 on April 7th and La paz April 8th the temp at Tecolote beach in the water was 72.2 . So fear not it will only get warmer come June. Did not check the water temps in Vallarta or Matzalan but the water was definately warmer there..... Have fun!!

Actually it is on it's downward turn for water temps. The water in Cabo is warmest from Sept-Nov and then starts its gradual cooling reaching the coldest point in May and especially June. Then it starts to gradually warm up again. It will be much cooler in June than it is now.

...http://www.caboexpo.com/cocean.htm

It continues to warm up from March/April until November as indicated on the link above! So no worries ,its all good have fun enjoying the water and hope for a calm day in June for snorkeling and other water/ beach activities... Spanky

Not true! But if you want to believe that website over a dive master who lives in Cabo- that's ok! We spend up to a month in Cabo every year and can personally verify that the coldest months of the year are May and June and even sometimes July.

Go over to tripadvisor.com. Our friend caboticket who lives there and is in the water every day will post the water condtions live. Can't get much more accurate than that!

Believe what you choose to as well ! We were JUST IN CABO April 6th and before we left you were telling everyone the same story that the water tempretures were going to be in in the upper 50's lower 60's and telling folks how cold it would be! Yet it was ACTUALLY 72.3 .

We go every other year first week in May and NO WAY the water temps are as cold as you are infering. I can attest to that first hand. So folks watch this chart and see if the water in Cabo goes to upper 50's and lower 60's in May and June and judge for yourselves....http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/sst/latest_sst.gif The date is posted above the graph. To those that go have fun....

I don't want to continue the argument and I appreciate all the sites and such but, if anyone was there after April 6th (and 72.3 is good enough for me!!!), I will be there May 7th and 8th. Having never been in Cabo and no knowing the change in temp, if it was 72.3 on April 6th, should I expect a decrease in water temp or an increase in temp (or will it be essentially the same as April 6th?)

Thanks!

Alan K

For sure, quite a big decrease! However others have experienced warmer water that what we have. We have been going to Cabo multiple times per year since 1994 and have never been able to swim for more than a few minutes let alone snorkle when we are there in May or June.

Hopefully it will be warmer for you!

The Outside tempreture of the air goes up signifcantly in cabo from march until november. It is several degrees warmer in June than April... If the tempreture climbs outside why would the water temp decrease? Just sayin.....Have fun in whatever you choose to do....

Wow - 2 incredibly diverging opinions!

Perhaps it may also depend on where I'm considering snorkeling. Heck, even snorkeling 5-10 minutes at a time would be good enough for me.

Since we're at the Westin, we're thinking of going to Chileno Beach, just up the road a bit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We snorkel the first week in may at Chileno Every other year . When you first get in the water will feel slightly cool. But we stay in 20 minutes or more at a time no wet suits and have NO PROBLEM. So thats my first hand report. Like I said we were there on April 6th and there were over a hundered people snorkelling at Santa maria which is just a short distance away. Enjoy...Spanky

The Outside tempreture of the air goes up signifcantly in cabo from march until november. It is several degrees warmer in June than April... If the tempreture climbs outside why would the water temp decrease? Just sayin.....Have fun in whatever you choose to do....

It's because of the currents. If you do a search her on this forum, one of the regulars has explained it. All I know is, is that when I get numb after 10 minutes then it is too cold. Then again, maybe we are just big babies! Even if the water was 70, if the air temps are 85, it is going to feel very cold when you get in!

By the way, we also go in October and December. The water in October is about 85 and last December was high 70's.

Anyone going from now until July, please post how the water was when you come back!

Well, I love snorkeling and, since I'm only going to be in Cabo for 2 days, I'm gonna deal with it.

So I thank you both for your input and will report back.

Last question - The Westin is 2KM from Chileno Beach. Where is Santa Maria Beach? Is that not to be missed as well?

Thanks!

Is towards Cabo from Chileno I am guessing 4-6 miles. Here is a link to the corridor you will be using...http://www.experienceloscabos.com/maps/images/map-corridor.pdf. As to the snorkelling a lot depends on the water conditions. I like Chileno better but occasionally one has jelly fish and the other does not. If the ocean is not churned up at either I prefer Chileno. Plus I think the sand is nicer there not so course...Spanky

Chileno turnoff is at km marker 12 and Santa Maria is at km 14 on the Highway between San jose Del Cabo and Cabo San lucas. In Miles that would be...Apprx 1 and 1/4 miles. So I was wrong on the guess of 4-6 miles !!! I looked it up in My cabo handbook...Spanky

Some first hand reports - June and July Water Temperatures:

There is variance because the water is often several degrees warmer up the coast near Gordo Banks than in the Sea of Cortez, but should give some idea.

June 20, 2006 (80°F) - http://www.cabosource.com/fish_report.php

July 2006 (87°F) - http://deepstop.wordpress.com/2008/11/30/scuba-diving-gordo-banks-los-cabos/

July 2006 (75°F to 87°F) - http://www.thereelbaja.com/report_july.html

July 2001 (77°) - http://www.elbudster.com/stats.html

July 2008 (80°F to 88°F) - http://www.fishreports.net/fishing/messages/93/192.html

June 25 2007 (mid 70s) - http://www.cabofishing.com/node/308

June 8 2008 (69°F) - http://www.fishingreportcabosanlucas.com/

Believe what you choose to as well ! We were JUST IN CABO April 6th and before we left you were telling everyone the same story that the water tempretures were going to be in in the upper 50's lower 60's and telling folks how cold it would be! Yet it was ACTUALLY 72.3 .

We go every other year first week in May and NO WAY the water temps are as cold as you are infering. I can attest to that first hand. So folks watch this chart and see if the water in Cabo goes to upper 50's and lower 60's in May and June and judge for yourselves....http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/sst/latest_sst.gif The date is posted above the graph. To those that go have fun....

Super! Thank you....this was just what we were looking for - actual scientific water temps. We will keep an eye on this as we head towards our June trip.

this seems to have made some interest!, i dived with traun aka 'caboticket' and after reading this i emailed him and he agrees that june is the coldest in cabo, low 60's to high 50's. and he even explained, ..."yes, it heats up outside and thats the reson it is colder, the 'ongala' current carries the snow melt water down the californian coast and ends at cabo, the bay in front of cabo has a big underwater trench which holds a huge amount of cold water, now at the change of seasons (june july) the surface currents and waves bring this cold water up, hence cold surface water. now the sea of cortez is different, that has it own currents which keep that region warmer, but still even cabo pulmo in june will hit high 60's., the water catches up with the air temps in august as the thermocline drops below 100 feet and the cold energy is lost, hence more stable weather, ie, no wind and beautiful summer sunsets... also explaining why the summer is delayed in this region..."...

and he goes on to say that if anyone wants to challenge this then they are welcome to jump in off his dive boat in mid june without a wetsuit!

this seems to have made some interest!, i dived with traun aka 'caboticket' and after reading this i emailed him and he agrees that june is the coldest in cabo, low 60's to high 50's. and he even explained, ..."yes, it heats up outside and thats the reson it is colder, the 'ongala' current carries the snow melt water down the californian coast and ends at cabo, the bay in front of cabo has a big underwater trench which holds a huge amount of cold water, now at the change of seasons (june july) the surface currents and waves bring this cold water up, hence cold surface water. now the sea of cortez is different, that has it own currents which keep that region warmer, but still even cabo pulmo in june will hit high 60's., the water catches up with the air temps in august as the thermocline drops below 100 feet and the cold energy is lost, hence more stable weather, ie, no wind and beautiful summer sunsets... also explaining why the summer is delayed in this region..."...

and he goes on to say that if anyone wants to challenge this then they are welcome to jump in off his dive boat in mid june without a wetsuit!

Oh yuck...that is not good news. We are going to Maz and PV also but already booked tours there because we heard Cabo was the place to go snorkeling. So it sounds like it is best to do a catamaran tour that offers some snorkeling and kayaking so at least a taste of snorkeling can be done. Can you offer who is recommended? I have looked at Ecocat and Caborey. Ecocat goes to Santa Maria bay and Caborey goes to Chilireno Bay. Don't know which bay is prettier? Ecocat is 10 less per person and has open bar and BBQ lunch. If you don't know, would you please ask caboticket?

I would jump off at Santa Maria or Chileno in june Gladly without a wet suit if I could make it down there . However I was just there April 6th and enjoyed 72.3 water!! Upper 50's in may thru July ...Not likely....As I said all folks need to do is watch the chart link above and see if it goes near upper 50's in the next couple months...Have fun Folks...

Archived