Water Temps in June

dkwall97

hi! just put caboticket into the google search for his contact and send him an email! , he assures there's still plenty of fish!

Yes, I see, I did put him in google and his site says:

"SUMMER IS A TIME FOR FUN IN THE WARM BAJA WATERS. COME ON IN AND EXPLORE OUR UNDERWATER WONDER WORLD. THE LOCAL WATERS AROUND CABO SAN LUCAS AND LOS CABOS ARE TEEMING WITH FISH, AND THE BEST WAY TO SEE THESE WODERS ARE TO JUMP RIGHT IN WITH A MASK AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!"

So I wonder why he says he is warm on his site and others are saying it is cold in the summer.

Hey Sandy, notice how I'm staying real quiet on this one. I'm just sitting on the sidelines and enjoying my popcorn.

mmmm.....what do you mean by this? I don't see anyone in this thread arguing but I do see folks wondering about the water temperature is, so what I see is someone who owns a company in the know down there and others who have been in the water and a water temp chart. I'm taking it all in and won't be surprised if the water is cold in June and will follow that chart to watch these changes as the person who owns the company says it will do. If it is a big disgreement thread with temps flaring, I guess I must be really naive, but so far everyone is stating his/her opinion/experience except those of us who are asking questions. :confused:

We are just off Mariner April 19th and snokeled on the Tropicat catamaran in cabo. Water temp was 76.4 (I saw it with my own eyes on the boats bridge) and it was quite pleasant to be in the water. I asked the captain about water temps going forward and he said they begin to steadily rise from early March on. Thank God we did not listen to the guy on this thread stating water temps in the low 60's and cancel what turned out to be a great trip. Maybe he is in the wetsuit business.

Enjoy your trip and please get in the water it was great.

crusinagain..

yes his webpage does say... ""SUMMER IS A TIME FOR FUN IN THE WARM BAJA WATERS........." but he also explanied why in cabo it is a delayed summer, come august the water is great, that is the start of summer in that region, also why the storms don't start till late sep when the water really heats up.. he is instructor there, in the water about every day!... tough life hey!... i have no doubt that june july are cold months to be in the water, if he wants business and you want to dive, do you think he would say.. "yeah it is warm, 70 ish degrees, but i am wearing a full length 5mm and hood because i feel the cold.. and don't worry about the gloves and booties.. i ...ur i... i cut my feet alot!.."..

We are just off Mariner April 19th and snokeled on the Tropicat catamaran in cabo. Water temp was 76.4 (I saw it with my own eyes on the boats bridge) and it was quite pleasant to be in the water. I asked the captain about water temps going forward and he said they begin to steadily rise from early March on. Thank God we did not listen to the guy on this thread stating water temps in the low 60's and cancel what turned out to be a great trip. Maybe he is in the wetsuit business.

Enjoy your trip and please get in the water it was great.

Thank you for your report as we are going in June which is what this thread is about although I did not start it. It has gone up since last report.

crusinagain..

yes his webpage does say... ""SUMMER IS A TIME FOR FUN IN THE WARM BAJA WATERS........." but he also explanied why in cabo it is a delayed summer, come august the water is great, that is the start of summer in that region, also why the storms don't start till late sep when the water really heats up.. he is instructor there, in the water about every day!... tough life hey!... i have no doubt that june july are cold months to be in the water, if he wants business and you want to dive, do you think he would say.. "yeah it is warm, 70 ish degrees, but i am wearing a full length 5mm and hood because i feel the cold.. and don't worry about the gloves and booties.. i ...ur i... i cut my feet alot!.."..

I quoted from his webpage - it does not say anything about cold water in the summer anywhere on his webpages or when summer starts. Summer starts in June according to the calendar. Not saying that he doesn't know what he is talking about I am just stating what is on his internet site. Perhaps he should adjust his pages on his site to warn people about how cold the water temps are in June and July so people can determine if they want to purchase his tours. It sounds like you are talking about him diving since he is an instructor and I can understand that diving deep is colder than just snorkeling. Personally, we are talking about snorkeling which is not deep. Not trying to argue with you but sounds like we are talking about diving versus snorkeling in June.

Glad you enjoyed your snorkel and the water conditons on your trip... I hope others do not hesitate to go in June or July because of some reporting on here. I think you Capatain gave you some accurate advise as to the future water conditions going forward. Because it will be very warm outside in those months it may feel chilly at first when you get in. But no worries...Be Happy...Spanky my

mmmm.....what do you mean by this? I don't see anyone in this thread arguing but I do see folks wondering about the water temperature is, so what I see is someone who owns a company in the know down there and others who have been in the water and a water temp chart. I'm taking it all in and won't be surprised if the water is cold in June and will follow that chart to watch these changes as the person who owns the company says it will do. If it is a big disgreement thread with temps flaring, I guess I must be really naive, but so far everyone is stating his/her opinion/experience except those of us who are asking questions. :confused:

Several of us (Sandy included) spend a lot of time on this board as well as the specific Cabo forum board over at TripAdvisor. We do this because we are both avid cruisers, as well as timeshare owners down in Cabo and we love to try and help first time visitors to the Cabo area. Needless to say, this is a well worn (but still valid) subject. As you can see, lots of reports regarding "I was just there in March-April-..." but the original question pertains to June. If you were to watch those vaunted temperature charts everyone posts for an entire year, you would see the significant changes that the Cabo region goes through. Those colder, (blue) bands that are getting ever closer to Cabo each day are normally 1000 miles north. They will start receding normally sometime in June. By November, those cold bands will be all the way back up by San Diego. It's quite possible someone could have a warm experience in June. It's also quite possible they could have a very cold experience as well. Welcome to the Pacific Ocean world of "El Nino" and "La Nina"

Here is an interesting question. The grey whales and the humpback's migrate to Mexico's warm waters in the November/December timeframe (typically when the water is warmest around Cabo). They leave again starting mid to late March but it's never on a specific date. What makes them decide to leave? Out of pocket money, so they can't drink margaritas at Cabo Wabo or the Giggling Marlin anymore. Don't think so. They check their waterproof DayTimer and it says it's time to boogie. Don't think that's it either. My guess is that they can tell the water is starting to cool down ever so slowly and so it's time to move on.

I hope you are happy that you made me put down my popcorn for all this. Now my fingers are tired (and my brain too). Sandy (Househunter), I, and all the other great regulars here, will continue to try and help anyone who wants to discover the best that the Mexican Riviera and it's wonderful people have to offer.

I quoted from his webpage - it does not say anything about cold water in the summer anywhere on his webpages or when summer starts. Summer starts in June according to the calendar. Not saying that he doesn't know what he is talking about I am just stating what is on his internet site. Perhaps he should adjust his pages on his site to warn people about how cold the water temps are in June and July so people can determine if they want to purchase his tours. It sounds like you are talking about him diving since he is an instructor and I can understand that diving deep is colder than just snorkeling. Personally, we are talking about snorkeling which is not deep. Not trying to argue with you but sounds like we are talking about diving versus snorkeling in June.

Summer is a very relative term, just ask the people from Australia. Incidently, Traun "caboticket" is from down under. I think Tasmania (which is a fantastic place) is where he grew up but he now live's full time in Cabo. Summer is even harder to define in Cabo. The air temp hardly ever falls below 70 degrees. Wind chill can drop it lower of course. We've had that happen a few times to us at our timeshare on the Pacific Ocean side of Baja.

Just to be clear, we who have been there(cabo) besides yourself and Househunter are ALSO trying to help those first timers.. I am a timeshare owner in Cabo as well and go every other year in May. Just happened to cruise in April this year . I encourage folks to watch the chart and see if it reaches the upper 50's as some claim. Either way I hope others are not discouraged in JUNE and JULY (SUMMER) into enjoying snorkelling and water activity at Chileno and Santa maria bay. Its a nice place to visit with calm sea's when there is no Jelly fish present. As to the grey whales here is the REAL reason why they migrate .....http://www.acsonline.org/factpack/graywhl.htm ... Enjoy Spanky...

Just to be clear, we who have been there(cabo) besides yourself and Househunter are ALSO trying to help those first timers.. I am a timeshare owner in Cabo as well and go every other year in May. Just happened to cruise in April this year . I encourage folks to watch the chart and see if it reaches the upper 50's as some claim. Either way I hope others are not discouraged in JUNE and JULY (SUMMER) into enjoying snorkelling and water activity at Chileno and Santa maria bay. Its a nice place to visit with calm sea's when there is no Jelly fish present. As to the grey whales here is the REAL reason why they migrate .....http://www.acsonline.org/factpack/graywhl.htm ... Enjoy Spanky...

I believe that if you read the 3rd paragraph of post 38, I do indeed provide accolades to all of the great regulars who try and help newcomers to this board. There are many here (including yourself) who give out great advice.

I also don't think that there is anywhere in paragraph 2 of the same post where I try to provide the REAL reason that whales migrate. I believe the only thing I speculated upon, was how they knew when it was time to leave. I will state, here and now, categorically, that in my 24 years in the U.S. Navy, I have never had a conversation with a Grey Whale (or any other Cetacean for that matter). I can say, that I have had numerous intimate conversations with various pollywogs, the Royal Scribe, the Royal Doctor, the Royal Dentist, the Royal Barber, the Royal Baby, and even Davy Jones himself, but never a whale. These intimate conversations took place in the approximate geographic area of the Equator and no where near Cabo San Lucas.

Hey Padres fan -- does this mean I can look forward to warm waters the first week of November when I'm there :D

I'm hoping that's a big ole "yes!!":D

"Should Be" Outstanding. Will "probably" be a little early for the whales, but some "may" be there. There is also a "fairly good" chance it will still be pretty dang hot. There is a weather shift that "generally" occurs around the middle of November when the humidity and high 90's heat subside a little.

Please observe all the qualifiers I've painstakingly placed in the above paragraph. "Should be", "probably", "may", "fairly good", "generally".

Have a great trip! We're thinking of making the Carnival Spirit run to Acapulco in Nov/Dec. Gotta get my passport renewed first.

Several of us (Sandy included) spend a lot of time on this board as well as the specific Cabo forum board over at TripAdvisor. We do this because we are both avid cruisers, as well as timeshare owners down in Cabo and we love to try and help first time visitors to the Cabo area. Needless to say, this is a well worn (but still valid) subject. As you can see, lots of reports regarding "I was just there in March-April-..." but the original question pertains to June. If you were to watch those vaunted temperature charts everyone posts for an entire year, you would see the significant changes that the Cabo region goes through. Those colder, (blue) bands that are getting ever closer to Cabo each day are normally 1000 miles north. They will start receding normally sometime in June. By November, those cold bands will be all the way back up by San Diego. It's quite possible someone could have a warm experience in June. It's also quite possible they could have a very cold experience as well. Welcome to the Pacific Ocean world of "El Nino" and "La Nina"

Here is an interesting question. The grey whales and the humpback's migrate to Mexico's warm waters in the November/December timeframe (typically when the water is warmest around Cabo). They leave again starting mid to late March but it's never on a specific date. What makes them decide to leave? Out of pocket money, so they can't drink margaritas at Cabo Wabo or the Giggling Marlin anymore. Don't think so. They check their waterproof DayTimer and it says it's time to boogie. Don't think that's it either. My guess is that they can tell the water is starting to cool down ever so slowly and so it's time to move on.

I hope you are happy that you made me put down my popcorn for all this. Now my fingers are tired (and my brain too). Sandy (Househunter), I, and all the other great regulars here, will continue to try and help anyone who wants to discover the best that the Mexican Riviera and it's wonderful people have to offer.

Thanks for letting me know what was up. I did not know this topic was discussed alot. I only was looking at info found on the web which so far is all warm for June water. So this will be very interesting to see how this progresses as June gets closer. I found the local news there that gives the water temperature as well and Sea of Cortez is warmer than the Pacific.

http://www.loscabostoday.com/weather.htm

Thanks for posting the link.... Keep in mind that the water is cooler out on the pacific side (west) of Cabo than towards Chileno and Santa Maria. as BOTH bays are some what protected and closer to the sea of cortez than the Harbor of Cabo San lucas itself... Here is hoping you have a great time when and if you go in May and please report back...Spanky My

Thanks for posting the link.... Keep in mind that the water is cooler out on the pacific side (west) of Cabo than towards Chileno and Santa Maria. as BOTH bays are some what protected and closer to the sea of cortez than the Harbor of Cabo San lucas itself... Here is hoping you have a great time when and if you go in May and please report back...Spanky My

SpankyMy, we are going in mid-June but will report back what we experienced. We are going to Santa Maria bay.

I started this thread and I am sorry I did.....there is not going to be a real answer here about Cabo but what about the water temps in the other cities...Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan??? These two cities are not even addressed in all these reoccurring answers.

You will generally not have to much of a problem with Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. It will not be "bath water" warm like the Atlantic seaboard in the summer (or the Caribbean for that matter), but it should still be fine. Puerto Vallarta will be the warmest of the 3 (in June). Mazatlan could be a little bit cooler. Figure if the water temp is at least 72, it will be cold getting in, but you will adapt quickly and it will be comfortable soon. As the summer wears on, all 3 areas get warmer and warmer up through about December and then the cycle starts all over again.

Hope you have a great cruise!

• 5 weeks later...

Just checking back in about the long debated water temps for Cabo. It appears is staying around 70 degrees and little if any decrease has occured .

Here is the link from los cabos who's doing the reporting.http://www.loscabostoday.com/weather.htm.. With June rapidlly approaching the conditions still seem favorable for snorkeling. Have fun Folks....Spanky

Archived