Water Temps in June

dkwall97

I am not a business owner, I have nothing to gain by voicing my opinion other than giving you a different perspective. I am just a regular person that happens to have the pleasure of living here 365 days a year and have for the past many years.

Here in Cabo, no matter what month of the year, there is a BIG difference between the surface temp and the water temp below - 10ft down and deeper. Typically, late March and April is the coolest water temp and late fall being the warmest. And of course, the shallower the water, normally the warmer. So Chileno and Sta. Maria (average depth 15-45ft where you snorkel) are usually warmer than around Pelican Rock where there is a very deep drop off.

I snorkel all the time, a couple to several times a month, every month of the year. I have never worn a wetsuit snorkeling here except this past April 30 and only used a wetsuit top. I just don't find the water here cold and I am from the Caribbean where I snorkeled almost every day in water normally about 82F. Anyone who has been to Xcaret (by Cancun) the water is a constant 63F in the river. Barton Springs in Austin, 68F year round. I find it the same here during the "cold" times, when you jump in at Xcaret, it may take your breath away but you quickly get used to it and then it is comfortable.

But every single diver I know (4-5 dozen or so) that lives in Cabo wears a wetsuit here if they are going to spend much time underwater even during the "warm" months. As with everything else is life, there are exceptions.

Yes, there are numerous websites with "official" information on the weather and water temps. I just clicked on a "official" weather website that says the current conditions here in Cabo are partly cloudy and winds out of the SSE. Guess someone should let the "official" website know because I walked out on the sidewalk at the marina and there is not one single cloud a far as my eye can see and there is a light wind out of the WNW. I find "first hand/in person" to be more accurate than "official" websites. But again, just my opinion.

Caro, thanks so much for your report. This isn't your opinion for you are there are seeing it and feeling it right now. This is the best report. What months are the warmest waters for snorkeling that you have found?

I have found the most comfortable/warmer water temps are USUALLY in the late fall...September, October, November and sometimes into December. But again, here it is June and the water temp has been around 80 for awhile! Of course I better knock on something wooden so I don't jink myself and some big glacier melts and changes all that this year :)

I went yesterday to Chileno and the temp read 81f in most places. I might try Sta. Maria or the old Twin Dolphin beach manana if I get my grocery shopping done, house cleaned and car washed in time. If I clean fast, I will take temp and let you know.

for the report on the apprx 80 degree water temp in JUNE . I was there in April and it was 72 degrees. Looks like it has warmed as expected since then. Thanks again for the report.

You are welcome. Mother Nature sometimes is fickle and changes things up alot in the water! As for the water surface temp yesterday at Sta. Maria...well I didn't quite make it out there :( Sorry. I will see about popping over there later this afternoon and will report.

Just back from Cabo. We only ended up going to Medano beach for 2 days out of the 10 and did not make it to Chilano or Santa Maria at all. On Medano there were very few people in the water and you could hear them yell when they got in- it was chilly. I didn't make it past my knees, I don't know the exact temps but it was cold. Both days we were there, it was quite windy. The people we talked to said once you were in, you got used to it.

2 of the snorkle tours were offering wet suits according to some friends who went. I know the water in both of the snorkling coves was warmer than at Medano. I don't know the exact temp but it was no where near the 80+ degrees that it is when we are there every October- now that is warm.

It may just be what you are used to and if you like cooler water. I have been there many times when the water was filled with people and we would be swimming too, just not this trip. It can only get warmer from here on out though.:)

I don't know whether it was the strong winds lately out of NNW or what the cause but the bay has been a tad bit cooler at surface than about 2 1/2 weeks ago - I was out on the water Saturday morning before 8am to measure temp and it was 73F. Sta. Maria and Chileno are both still warmer than bay surface.

Archived