need expert advice for Victoria area

I am in the process of planning a 2 night post cruise stay in the Victoria area for 2 adult couples. We will be there August 8-10. Any suggestions on places to stay? We are planning to go to Butchart Gardens either the 8th or 9th. We are very active couples and like outdoor activities more than shopping. I've looked at a couple of places in sidney to stay...Miraloma on the Cove. They have a 2 bedroom suite. Would it be okay for 2 adult couples? Any info would be appreciated. This is our first trip to Victoria

I am in the process of planning a 2 night post cruise stay in the Victoria area for 2 adult couples. We will be there August 8-10. Any suggestions on places to stay? We are planning to go to Butchart Gardens either the 8th or 9th. We are very active couples and like outdoor activities more than shopping. I've looked at a couple of places in sidney to stay...Miraloma on the Cove. They have a 2 bedroom suite. Would it be okay for 2 adult couples? Any info would be appreciated. This is our first trip to Victoria

Sidney is a lovely little seaside town but it is not close to downtown. We always stay at the Coast Hotel. Basic rooms, but a good price and it's right on the harbour. We walk a lot.

If you do stay in Sidney, go down to the dock and take the walk-on ferry to the Spit Park. It's a wonderful way to spend a day, especially if you take a lunch and manage to time it for low tide.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/parks/?id=453

Viv

I'd recommend you stay in Victoria rather than Sidney. While Sidney is a nice town, there is much more in Victoria to see and do. Also, you can easily get a tour from Victoria to Butchart Gardens.

Victoria has lots of things to do that don't include shopping.....you can take a whale watching tour, walk through Beacon Hill Park, or take a sightseeing tour on one of the little harbour ferries.

I love to stay at the Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria - it is a famous hotel and right int he centre of everything across the street form the inner harbour.

I have alos stayed at the Laurel Point Inn which was nice too but not as well located. Cheaper!

As you're there on a Saturday night, I would say one of the very best attractions in Victoria is the "Centre of the Universe" located at the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory, located 10 miles out of town. The telescope there was the largest in the world when it was completed, and all of the facilities and a museum are open to the public.

It's interesting any evening, but Saturday nights it's basically wide open to the public.

http://www.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cu/main_e.html

"As you're there on a Saturday night, I would say one of the very best attractions in Victoria is the "Centre of the Universe" located at the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory, located 10 miles out of town. The telescope there was the largest in the world when it was completed, and all of the facilities and a museum are open to the public."

This sounds really interesting!! I think we will do this one

Thanks!!

Any suggestions for a hotel/B&B in the $150-175 per night range?

Another Saturday night option is the fireworks display at Butchart Gardens - one of the best fireworks in the world. You should plan on arriving there about 5;00 in the afternoon, put down a blanket to save your spot where the fireworks take place and then spend time walking around the gardens, eating dinner, by 9:00 sit on your blanket and people watch until the show begins. It is absolutely worth it.

Any suggestions for a hotel/B&B in the $150-175 per night range?

The Magnolia hotel is beautiful and the restaurant is great! It is right in the heart of downtown. I have also stayed at the Marriot which I liked but I believe it is closer to $200+ per night. Avoid Traveller's Inns but the Vacation Inn is okay, it has been renovated and is comfy and in the lower price range.

Archived