Serenade to Sail Year-Round from San Juan

We all expected this announcement, but now it's official! Royal Caribbean announced today that Serenade of the Seas will sail year-round from San Juan beginning in April 2010. From April to December next year, the ship will offer alternating seven-night Southern Caribbean cruises, with no repeat ports between the two itineraries (two-week vacation, anyone?).

One itinerary will feature Curacao, Aruba, Dominica and St. Thomas, and the other will visit Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Croix.

What's your take on the new itineraries? Would people still prefer Adventure of the Seas?

I would certainly prefer AOS. i was on her last year B2B and am now in a turmoil decidiing what to do. Ican not understand why a smaller ship is there instead of a larger one. I was secretly hopeful of a freedom class going there. I am not sure whether to book or not now I would go again in a heartbeat if AOS was staying. I think there are too many Western and Eastern repeats and not enough Southern - there my rant is over,.

This is pure speculation, but:

On the 5/8/10 Serenade cruise I booked this morning it is actually for 8 days. Thus transitioning it from Sat-Sat cruises to Sun-Sun cruises.

I also saw on the RCI website that on 12/5/10 Serenade is doing a 6 day cruise (the only 2010/2011 cruise to post so far online). Presumably to go back to Sat-Sat. I wonder if another (2nd) ship will come in to take over Sundays for a seasonal Dec-Apr out of San Juan (sort of like what Serenade used to do while Adventure was there year round)?

We all expected this announcement, but now it's official! Royal Caribbean announced today that Serenade of the Seas will sail year-round from San Juan beginning in April 2010. From April to December next year, the ship will offer alternating seven-night Southern Caribbean cruises, with no repeat ports between the two itineraries (two-week vacation, anyone?).

One itinerary will feature Curacao, Aruba, Dominica and St. Thomas, and the other will visit Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Croix.

What's your take on the new itineraries? Would people still prefer Adventure of the Seas?

We are already signed up for one week in March, and now looking to do our first B2B cruise. We love the SOS and the southern route. Both weeks have stops we have not been to before, so that's an added perk.

Oh, and it's our 30th wedding anniversary!

I went into the RCCL website to check on Oct 2010 for Serenade, but it says it's not available!! are you getting your info direct by calling, or can you let me know where to find it?

I went into the RCCL website to check on Oct 2010 for Serenade, but it says it's not available!! are you getting your info direct by calling, or can you let me know where to find it?

I called this morning to book my May 2010 B2B. For some reason only the 12/5/10 is online so far. At least last I checked.

I think there has to be a 2nd ship in San Juan on December, Why would the ship change the sailing dates from Sunday to Saturday? The port is not filled with ships on Sundays so berthing space is not an issue. I love the Serenade and both itineraries looks great specially the Aruba/Curaçao one that always been my favorite.

We liked Serenade.....and we liked the Aruba route....

the idea of 2 totally different itins is GREAT....

the only problem is.....mom doesn't want to fly! yikes!

(can we please get one of the IT peeps in Miami to push the button so that we can see this on RCCL dot com???!!!)

I believe they are starting the alternating routes when she comes back from Alaska. We were booked on the 28th of Nov for a B2B but the weeks of the 21st and 28th were cancelled so we rebooked on the 9th of Jan. Only doing one week so we decided to book Alaska for June. I love this class ship (especially the Radiance) so I would like to she her do different itineraries.

I would certainly prefer AOS. i was on her last year B2B and am now in a turmoil decidiing what to do. Ican not understand why a smaller ship is there instead of a larger one. I was secretly hopeful of a freedom class going there. I am not sure whether to book or not now I would go again in a heartbeat if AOS was staying. I think there are too many Western and Eastern repeats and not enough Southern - there my rant is over,.

Everything you said...... Exactly my sentiments. I'm glad that we sailed Serenade. It was a great cruise. But I don't have any desire to go back to a Radiance class ship.

Everything you said...... Exactly my sentiments. I'm glad that we sailed Serenade. It was a great cruise. But I don't have any desire to go back to a Radiance class ship.

As someone that is new to RCI....can you expand on your feelings about Radiance class vs. Voyager/Freedom?

This is great news. We are booked on Serenade for November 09 and the brilliance for march 10. We have been waiting for these iteneries to come out as we want to do b2b in October 2010. It will be our 25th wedding aniversary and my 50th birthday, this is exactly what and where we want to go. :):) We have the same aft balcony cabin booked for both ships so we need to get in quick to secure it for the b2b.nee

The itineraries for 2010 April - December are now live, but the information for 2011 has not been updated yet.

If anyone knows when 2011 will be live, please pass the information along...THANKS!

BILL

As someone that is new to RCI....can you expand on your feelings about Radiance class vs. Voyager/Freedom?

Everyone has there own opinion, but I prefer the middle size ships any day. we have done the Empress, vision class and Voyager class and our preference is Radiance. This is only my opinion, bigger is not always best.

I've been to Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua & St. Maarten. However, the Curacao, Aruba, Dominica and St. Thomas itinerary sounds interesting. Just wish I didn't have to fly to San Juan.

I think RCI placing the Serenade in SJU year-round over the Adventure is a 3 part issue:

1. Less berths to fill means less discounting and higher yield pp

2. Dramatic cuts in air service to SJU - San Juan has seen a huge decrease in available airline seats in the last few years which means more heavy discounting to locals to fill the ships which depresses yields.

3. Weak economic climate leads to more pax wanting to drive to ports when possible. Yields go up in drive markets - especially those w/ limited competition.

RCI is better to homeport a ship the size of the Adventure in a US mainland port w/ adequate air service and less competiotion from other ships

I personally would prefer a Radiance Class ship for a port-intensive southern caribbean itinerary where little use will be made of all the bells and whistles.

I've been to Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua & St. Maarten. However, the Curacao, Aruba, Dominica and St. Thomas itinerary sounds interesting. Just wish I didn't have to fly to San Juan.

....and that in a nutshell says why so many lines are axing SJU or downsizing the # of ships and the size of ships homeported there :rolleyes:

I personally would rather do a 10-12 night cruise from FLL-MIA and pay a higher cruise fare than spend more on airfare to SJU for a 7 night cruise - comes out about even either way for us in ATL and is infinitely more enjoyable :D

....and that in a nutshell says why so many lines are axing SJU or downsizing the # of ships and the size of ships homeported there :rolleyes:

I personally would rather do a 10-12 night cruise from FLL-MIA and pay a higher cruise fare than spend more on airfare to SJU for a 7 night cruise - comes out about even either way for us in ATL and is infinitely more enjoyable :D

Yes, I also would like to do that itinerary out of Florida over San Juan.

personally would rather do a 10-12 night cruise from FLL-MIA and pay a higher cruise fare than spend more on airfare to SJU for a 7 night cruise - comes out about even either way for us in ATL and is infinitely more enjoyable

I agree with you 100%.

On our AOS cruise last year, we actually spent more on airfare and pre-cruise hotel, than we did on our cabin. That was the choice we had to make to compensate for the travel expenses. I'm sure that's not the choice RCCL wants passengers to make.

I'm glad we went though, that was my favorite itinerary by far. Remember when RCCL did a 10-day Southern route out of Galveston??? I'd be on that ship in a heartbeat!

This is great news. We are booked on Serenade for November 09 and the brilliance for march 10. We have been waiting for these iteneries to come out as we want to do b2b in October 2010. It will be our 25th wedding aniversary and my 50th birthday, this is exactly what and where we want to go. :):) We have the same aft balcony cabin booked for both ships so we need to get in quick to secure it for the b2b.nee

Congrats Graeme!

Wish they hadn't dropped St Martin from the Aruba route. I have done the Aruba-Curacao-St. Martin-St. Thomas route twice and I found it the perfect balance between sea days (in the right order no less), interesting islands (Aruba/Curacao), fun & sophistication (St Martin), and - yes - shopping with St Thomas.

Don't know if I'll book again. It would likely have to be a very deep resident discount that would sway me to waste a day of my vacation in Dominica...

I think RCI placing the Serenade in SJU year-round over the Adventure is a 3 part issue:

1. Less berths to fill means less discounting and higher yield pp

2. Dramatic cuts in air service to SJU - San Juan has seen a huge decrease in available airline seats in the last few years which means more heavy discounting to locals to fill the ships which depresses yields.

3. Weak economic climate leads to more pax wanting to drive to ports when possible. Yields go up in drive markets - especially those w/ limited competition.

RCI is better to homeport a ship the size of the Adventure in a US mainland port w/ adequate air service and less competiotion from other ships

I personally would prefer a Radiance Class ship for a port-intensive southern caribbean itinerary where little use will be made of all the bells and whistles.

Bingo... Typically the fares were cheaper out of San Juan just to draw people to fly there because of the added expenses to get there and stay. RCCL can get higher fares in other places.

I will miss AOS and having a voyager class ship down there. We have cruised four straight years out of San Juan and loved our Serenade cruise, but AOS was our favorite.

I've been on the AOS and the Serenade..both on Southern itineraries out of San Juan. After three cruises in the Voyager class, we chose the Seranade based on its itinerary 2 years ago wondering if we would like it after being on the "big boys"....we LOVED it. It has a few offerings not on the voyager or freedom class ( aft dining area) and while missing the skating rink and a few other perks, we didn;t notice it at all.

This was 2 years ago....but i found the Seranade to be a more "elegant" ship. We sailed the Seranade with 4 teens also...all but one had also done the larger ships and all had a great experience onboard. Would not hesitate to book the Seranade for another Southern route cruise!

Archived