Is there dishonest reviews

0rly

I have not cruised yet, but have been reading plenty of reviews trying to determine a good ship for our first cruise.

Whether it is an 'honest' review or not, I take everything with a grain of salt. I am willing to guess that a fair share of the negative reviews are people whose expectations are too high for a given cruise. If I book CCL for a 3 day weekend cruise on an older ship for a few hundred dollars, my expectations are going to be far different than if I spend several thousand dollars on a 2-week Crystal Cruise. If guests are not formal on the 3 day cruise, or if the waiter doesn't remember my name, Im ok with that. Maybe not so much on the long expensive cruise. (I get this from somebody complaining to me that no-one wore tuxedos on a 3-day Bahamas cruise - what did they expect?).

Just get on board and relax. Complain if it's warranted - and come post and let us know, but also tell us what was o.k. with the cruise. Don't let a few negatives ruin an entire vacation. If worse comes to worse, in a few years you will have a really good adventure story.

If worse comes to worse, in a few years you will have a really good adventure story.

I have to laugh because we took a "cheap" cruise way back in 1992 that was a 3 day cruise on the Mardi Gras (I think) and the stories we tell about that cruise.... WOW.. I'm sure they get better each time, but while on it we considered it H#ll.... The waiter every night would take a spoon, rub it on his shirt and go up to each person, shove the spoon in your face and say "Wanna see as%h$le?? HA HA, and then go to the next person. After the first night we called him "as#h$le... and he would laugh. That was one of the better things... They actually decommishened (sp?) the ship once it got back the PC...

SO yes I has become a good story... as will the Hurricane trip.

I have not cruised yet, but have been reading plenty of reviews trying to determine a good ship for our first cruise.

Whether it is an 'honest' review or not, I take everything with a grain of salt. I am willing to guess that a fair share of the negative reviews are people whose expectations are too high for a given cruise. If I book CCL for a 3 day weekend cruise on an older ship for a few hundred dollars, my expectations are going to be far different than if I spend several thousand dollars on a 2-week Crystal Cruise. If guests are not formal on the 3 day cruise, or if the waiter doesn't remember my name, Im ok with that. Maybe not so much on the long expensive cruise. (I get this from somebody complaining to me that no-one wore tuxedos on a 3-day Bahamas cruise - what did they expect?).

Just get on board and relax. Complain if it's warranted - and come post and let us know, but also tell us what was o.k. with the cruise. Don't let a few negatives ruin an entire vacation. If worse comes to worse, in a few years you will have a really good adventure story.

I am curious why you determined which ship to sail, rather than the ports the ship goes to?

I always book a cruise for the ports not the ship. Granted I hope the ship is something I will enjoy, but that has never been a determining factor when I book a cruise.

Just wondering seem that there is alot of reviews that are listed as honest. Are there dishonest reviews or are these member reviews better than the rest?:p

Reviews are always personal opinions. Vacations,cruises, restaurants, hotels, movies and many things in our lives that get "reviewed" are written with the persons own idea of "good" and "bad" or "lousy".

Take them all with a grain of salt. There are very few professional "reviewers" who actually get paid for their opinion. Frommers, Fodor and others to name a few-and even theirs are only opinions. They do have much experience, however and do this for a living so I'd feel comfortable giving some weight to their opinion. But those found on websites and chat rooms can be interesting reading but that's about it. Reviews are all subjective and reflect only that persons opinion.

[/i]The exact example I was looking for... EVERYONE sees things their way EVERY time. So the same group experience comes out totally different, with completely different comments.... and both are HONEST.

Yes, we are in complete agreement.

One thing G'ma mentioned was experience. We know Fodders etc has lots of experience. Even between LorrieB and myself, she has only been on the one cruise, so she says its the best VACATION, she has ever been on, has no other cruises to compare it to. I can say it was my worst cruise, and Iv been cruising since the late 1980s on multiple cruiselines. .... we are both being honest how we see the same cruise though.

I think experience weighs in .... as it should. Most reviews we dont know how many other cruiselines or cruises that person has taken. .... all we know is it is someone's opinion.

I have to agree with some of the other posters unless you work for one of the companies that has been rating Cruises for a living then most reviews aren't really honest. Everyone has bias and expectations that may or may not be meet. While some might think they are being unbais everyone is. It is human nature. A very good example is how I feel about the Holiday and I am sure plenty here can tell you how I feel there are others who think the exact opposite is either one of us being dishonest? Nope we just see things differently but in the end you have to do the judging for yourself.

Everyone has bias and expectations that may or may not be meet. While some might think they are being unbais everyone is. It is human nature. A very good example is how I feel about the Holiday and I am sure plenty here can tell you how I feel there are others who think the exact opposite is either one of us being dishonest? Nope we just see things differently but in the end you have to do the judging for yourself.

I agree!

Seeing things differently has nothing to do with honesty......reviews are the experience of the reviewer.........not everyone else on the ship.......

My reviews are well written and have been featured in many travel magazines. Honest!

I have read numerous reviews you have written, not only are they honest but well written. You are quite possibly the most traveled person, ever :D.

I am curious why you determined which ship to sail, rather than the ports the ship goes to?

I always book a cruise for the ports not the ship. Granted I hope the ship is something I will enjoy, but that has never been a determining factor when I book a cruise.

When I said 'ship' I meant everything with the cruise, including the ship, the ports it visits, the days, as well as the departure port. My booking of the Destiny for my first cruise is based largely on the need to have a cruise over a weekend and it was one of only a few 4-day weekend cruises - and on a short cruise the ports are pretty limited - although Destiny's intinerary is good for a 4 day cruise.

As far as ports go, if I want to see a place, I will go spend time there. Over the years I have been to several Islands and have seen and experienced more than I ever could in a single day as part of a cruise, so for me, the cruise itself is largely the destination rather than just a means of transportation. This being said, I did chose Destiny based on it going to Cozumel where I have never been as opposed to the Fascination which is headed to islands I have already been to.

The next cruise I book will be 7 days where I will have many more options. Then the ports will be the first consideration, followed by the ship, which is why I come and read all the reviews be they "honest" or otherwise.

Sorry for the rambling answer

I have read numerous reviews you have written, not only are they honest but well written. You are quite possibly the most traveled person, ever :D.

Why thank you. I loved your last movie!

When I said 'ship' I meant everything with the cruise, including the ship, the ports it visits, the days, as well as the departure port. My booking of the Destiny for my first cruise is based largely on the need to have a cruise over a weekend and it was one of only a few 4-day weekend cruises - and on a short cruise the ports are pretty limited - although Destiny's intinerary is good for a 4 day cruise.

As far as ports go, if I want to see a place, I will go spend time there. Over the years I have been to several Islands and have seen and experienced more than I ever could in a single day as part of a cruise, so for me, the cruise itself is largely the destination rather than just a means of transportation. This being said, I did chose Destiny based on it going to Cozumel where I have never been as opposed to the Fascination which is headed to islands I have already been to.

The next cruise I book will be 7 days where I will have many more options. Then the ports will be the first consideration, followed by the ship, which is why I come and read all the reviews be they "honest" or otherwise.

Sorry for the rambling answer

Thank you for clarifying.

You will never again go on a short cruise, it is just not enough time :D.

at the time..i was a newb to cruising and could compare our

experience with a previous RCCL cruise..

im sure the vast majority of the passenger s had a blast while i

was trying to get into the beat of the ship activities..the wife

and i just could nt get on the same beat as the ship..:o

I hate to write this because it could be used by those Internet Trolls, but here is what I think when I read "Honest Thread" Usually this is a real person and not a Internet Troll and someone that is about to post something fair and balance.

Fred

Our first cruise was on the Conquest during Hurricane Ike. It was the most incredible vacation we have ever had. But, there are those who were on the same ship, had, for the most part, the same losses, and will probably say it was the worst vacation they have ever had. Our vehicle was totalled, we were repositioned to New Orleans with no transportation, we were FORCED to spend two sunny days in Cozumel, they twisted our arms to get us to stay an additional night, at no cost to us, while we were docked in New Orleans, AND.... those darned Carnival Employees..... HAD THE NERVE to offer us a free ride to Houston which would have meant an extra 4+ nights on the Conquest AT NO COST!!!!! So, you see.... it is all in the eye of the beholder!!!!!!!! Those Darn Cruise Lines!!!!!!!! Oh, and did I forget to mention, all that extra stuff was FREE!!!!!!! But, we did have to rent a car to get home..... AND OF COURSE IT WAS CARNIVAL'S FAULT.... they created Hurricane Ike just to inconvenience us!!!!!!! When is the next hurricane cruise.... sign me up!!!!!!!!! But I think this time we will fly!!!!!

I think a lot is in the eye of the beholder. We had the purser's desk hanging up if we called from the cabin, which I find unacceptable. The offer of the free ride to Houston didnt come until after we had debarked in New Orleans. Had we not left and gotten back on the ship, that night they did make that offer, my ESP wasnt working. I didnt care for the CD etc.

I still think it was my worst cruise and Iv been on a few more than you have. Doesnt mean everything went bad, but there was more room for improvement. I have issues too with leaving my car there during hurricane season next Sept, still worried me. Never blamed Carnival for that, just for things onboard I thought could have been improved. It doesnt make one of us wrong and one right, we had different experiences. I am totally at a loss about cars, and had two disabled women, neither of whom had a clue, you had a husband to lean on. I dont think one person's experiences should be dismissed as dishonest, just different.

Like another poster mentioned, Two cruisers, same ship, same sailing, same itinerary, different experience. It's all about perspective. No two people experience life the same way. Neither is right, neither is wrong...It just is what it is. :)

Just wondering seem that there is alot of reviews that are listed as honest. Are there dishonest reviews or are these member reviews better than the rest?:p

Well, we heard you either love or hate cruising. For our first cruise, we did the 4-day on the paradise that goes to ensenada and catalina. We loved it.

It's not for everyone, but we loved it. I flet sea sick the first night at the 6:00 pm seating for dinner but I drank enough that it didn't matter. The bedding was awesome.

My wife and I got some excellent adult time. The kids loved it. We loved it.

For us, it was great, but to each their own.

Well, we heard you either love or hate cruising. For our first cruise, we did the 4-day on the paradise that goes to ensenada and catalina. We loved it.

Check out the 7 Day cruise next like onboard Spirit or Splendor, totally different experience.

Fred

IMy favorite moto.... The worst day vacation is

the better than the best day at work.

some people will always complain...but I have never understood the logic of your statement here.

I am paid to be at work, and I pay to be on vacation

Reviews are always personal opinions. Vacations' date='cruises, restaurants, hotels, movies and many things in our lives that get "reviewed" are written with the persons own idea of "good" and "bad" or "lousy".

Take them all with a grain of salt. There are very few professional "reviewers" who actually get paid for their opinion. Frommers, Fodor and others to name a few-and even theirs are only opinions. They do have much experience, however and do this for a living so I'd feel comfortable giving some weight to their opinion. But those found on websites and chat rooms can be interesting reading but that's about it. Reviews are all subjective and reflect only that persons opinion.[/quote']

Reviews CONTAIN personal opinions, but they also contain facts. Reviewer A may say that the filet mignon they were served was tough and flavorless. Reviewer B may say that it was the best filet mignon they ever tasted. Although what they thought of their meals is opinion, we learn the FACT that filet mignon was served. Reviewer A may think that the late-night comedian was utterly hilarious with his ribald jokes, whereas Reviewer B may think that the R-rated comedy was unfunny and in poor taste. Their take on the comedy may be opinion, but we learn the fact that the cruise includes late-night comedy that geared towards an adult audience...

I may like hearing the opinions in reviews, but I never assume that my opinion will be the same as the reviewers'. I read the reviews for the facts. I can then extrapolate if, based on the details I have learned about the cruise, I think I can have a good time on board.

I have read many that seemed as if they were.

I disregard those.

You mean the ones that lack details? such as ship sail date or ports? OH...anf then the ridiculous statements LMAO

I LOVE those..."My Carnival cruise stunk....food horrible...rude service and they allowed smoking in the dinning room." :eek::p:rolleyes:

some people will always complain...but I have never understood the logic of your statement here.

I am paid to be at work, and I pay to be on vacation

I agree. That statement drives me crazy.

Archived