Is there dishonest reviews

0rly

I find that some folks you just can make happy. So when you read the

reviews you need to take the 'average' of all the reviews. Some folks

just need to be unhappy .... My favorite moto.... The worst day vacation is

the better than the best day at work.

Just wondering seem that there is alot of reviews that are listed as honest. Are there dishonest reviews or are these member reviews better than the rest?:p

Reviews are only "dishonest" if they use generalizations and exaggerations.

For example.... " all the food was bad". Well, I hate to tell them ...but they have never eaten "all the food" on a cruise ship.

or "every crew member was rude". (they have not met every crew member)

These are the kinds of statements that should be ignored.

"Honest" comments are those that are specific about a problem....that way a reader can decide if that "problem" is an issue for them or not.

For example...of someone complains about chair hogs. That is a specific complaint...but that would not apply to me...since I don't ever go out by the pool.

Reviews are to be written in such a way as to "guide" a person through the good and bad of a cruise.

I am sure that what the reviewers are writing they believe to be the truth. I also believe that does not make it so. We are influnced by our perceptions. Some people go thru life miserable and are hard to be around. No matter what the experience it is bad, the worst or not as good as something else. Take everything that you read on this site or any other with a grain of salt. Some posters do lie just to get a reaction. In my job I have learned one thing, people lie for the stupidest reasons, some for no reason at all, but everyone lies.

I am sure all are honest opionions, but since everyone's expectations can be very different from your own I wouldnt base my entire vacation decision on one or a few reviews...for all the ones posted, think about how many people's experiences aren't shared

The reviews I tend to believe are balanced. They list good and bad things.

The people who harp only on the negative things just have an ax to grind. I've met them on ships--even though I try to avoid them. One group ate lunch with us on a Princess cruise and kept complaining how that cruise was not as good as Carnival. The good news was I was certain I'd never have to see them again if they're going back to Carnival.

On the other hand, there are the cheerleaders for the various cruise lines. They think everything is hunky-dory with their favorite cruise line and can't stand for anyone to dare mention even the slightest negative.

I guess what I don't quite get is why label theirs "as an honest reviews" cause isn't that a bit of a oxymoron. No matter what happens in life there is your perception on events, their perceptions on events, someone else's perception on events and the actual truth. While I feel most people do try to write honest reviews not sure that anyone should take up the mantle of I have an "Honest Review of".

I guess I am kinda of rambling long day sorry

Our first cruise was on the Conquest during Hurricane Ike. It was the most incredible vacation we have ever had. But, there are those who were on the same ship, had, for the most part, the same losses, and will probably say it was the worst vacation they have ever had. Our vehicle was totalled, we were repositioned to New Orleans with no transportation, we were FORCED to spend two sunny days in Cozumel, they twisted our arms to get us to stay an additional night, at no cost to us, while we were docked in New Orleans, AND.... those darned Carnival Employees..... HAD THE NERVE to offer us a free ride to Houston which would have meant an extra 4+ nights on the Conquest AT NO COST!!!!! So, you see.... it is all in the eye of the beholder!!!!!!!! Those Darn Cruise Lines!!!!!!!! Oh, and did I forget to mention, all that extra stuff was FREE!!!!!!! But, we did have to rent a car to get home..... AND OF COURSE IT WAS CARNIVAL'S FAULT.... they created Hurricane Ike just to inconvenience us!!!!!!! When is the next hurricane cruise.... sign me up!!!!!!!!! But I think this time we will fly!!!!!

I love it when they say that the service or food was not up to a four or five star restaurant or hotel. Tell me where you can stay and eat and be entertained and waited on by hand and foot for what you pay on a cruise. A cruise to me is a GREAT bargain and it takes more than not seeing my room steward or having to wait in a buffet line to upset me. It is a VACATION so enjoy it, or go stay at a 5 star hotel for two nights for the same amount of money..

Our first cruise was on the Conquest during Hurricane Ike. It was the most incredible vacation we have ever had. But, there are those who were on the same ship, had, for the most part, the same losses, and will probably say it was the worst vacation they have ever had. Our vehicle was totalled, we were repositioned to New Orleans with no transportation, we were FORCED to spend two sunny days in Cozumel, they twisted our arms to get us to stay an additional night, at no cost to us, while we were docked in New Orleans, AND.... those darned Carnival Employees..... HAD THE NERVE to offer us a free ride to Houston which would have meant an extra 4+ nights on the Conquest AT NO COST!!!!! So, you see.... it is all in the eye of the beholder!!!!!!!! Those Darn Cruise Lines!!!!!!!! Oh, and did I forget to mention, all that extra stuff was FREE!!!!!!! But, we did have to rent a car to get home..... AND OF COURSE IT WAS CARNIVAL'S FAULT.... they created Hurricane Ike just to inconvenience us!!!!!!! When is the next hurricane cruise.... sign me up!!!!!!!!! But I think this time we will fly!!!!!

I think a lot is in the eye of the beholder. We had the purser's desk hanging up if we called from the cabin, which I find unacceptable. The offer of the free ride to Houston didnt come until after we had debarked in New Orleans. Had we not left and gotten back on the ship, that night they did make that offer, my ESP wasnt working. I didnt care for the CD etc.

I still think it was my worst cruise and Iv been on a few more than you have. Doesnt mean everything went bad, but there was more room for improvement. I have issues too with leaving my car there during hurricane season next Sept, still worried me. Never blamed Carnival for that, just for things onboard I thought could have been improved. It doesnt make one of us wrong and one right, we had different experiences. I am totally at a loss about cars, and had two disabled women, neither of whom had a clue, you had a husband to lean on. I dont think one person's experiences should be dismissed as dishonest, just different.

I can tell you that I listed my review as "honest" because it is neither a HATER review nor a CHEERLEADER review...it says what I thought was good, and what was not so good.:)

I was trying to use the word "Honest" in the title to let readers know that I wasn't here to cheer for CCL unnecessarily, nor to bash them unfairly...honest.:)

I can tell you that I listed my review as "honest" because it is neither a HATER review nor a CHEERLEADER review...it says what I thought was good, and what was not so good.:)

I was trying to use the word "Honest" in the title to let readers know that I wasn't here to cheer for CCL unnecessarily, nor to bash them unfairly...honest.:)

But why would your review NOT be Honest is really what I know I am asking along with others ! I too wanted to say something when I saw the title of the thread.

I have always been taught that when someone says "To be honest with you".... watch out ! :rolleyes:

I thought your review was honest and worded very well. I liked that you put it in order, good first not so good last. But as you said you are a teacher and I think that is why your review was very realistic.

I swear I was thinking on the way home tonight the same thing and was going to post something about "honest" reviews. And I am not pinpointing any one in particular, because, quite frankly, I have read quite a few "honest" reviews lately. However, just because one is not a hater or cheerleader for a certain cruise line, I still dont see the necessity to use the word honest, I think this implies to the rest that the haters and the cheerleaders lie/exagerate (for a nicer word) in their reviews to create bias.

I would hope that all the reviews on this board, except for the occasional troll, are honest. I know mine was, I cant help that nothing went wrong, or the things that did go wrong didnt impress me as that important to either remember or include in my review.

Like I said, I was going to start a thread and it would have started like this "My Honest Review...", then the subject would have been, "

GOTCHA, I bet you thought I was going to tell you about how everything went wrong, well not everything, but enough to formulate my opinion of this cruise line by a single experience...." Because that is the only time you wil see Honest in the Title, its an opening to negative commentary.

And honestly, I am not bashing anyone here, I just find it curious.

Reviews are only "dishonest" if they use generalizations and exaggerations. For example.... " all the food was bad". Well, I hate to tell them ...but they have never eaten "all the food" on a cruise ship. or "every crew member was rude". (they have not met every crew member) These are the kinds of statements that should be ignored.

I don't think that any reviews are deliberately dishonest. They are opinions. And generalizations are not dishonest. When someone writes that "all of the food was bad", it is obvious that the phrase "that I had" was implied after the word food, because no one in his right mind would think that the writer was dishonestly trying to imply that they had eaten every item on every menu in every restaurant on every day. Some people also object to such phrases as "My food was served cold" because a specific temperature was not given. But it is still an honest opinion, offered for what it is worth.

And since most vacationers don't run around the ship with a clip board, stop watch, thermometer and tape recorder, the accuracy of some of the opinions my be doubtful, but not deliberately dishonest.

Similarly, a review that is all bad, (or all good, for that matter) isn't dishonest, unless the writer is making things up (which I beleive is unusual). Just because both sides of a story aren't told, doesn't make it dishonest; just a horror story trying to pass as a review.

BOB!! your going to love the Triumph..

did you see my HONEST Review?:p

im a true blue NCL fan..and yes i used to bash CCL for a lousy

cruise i had 12 yrs ago..but, the cruise on the Triumph was

a good kick in the butt that i should be more open d minded:o

My favorite moto.... The worst day vacation is

the better than the best day at work.

While I agree with that, so what? We're paying for our vacation days. We're getting paid for our work days. The vacation days had BETTER be better than the work days! And not by a narrow margin, either!!!

Originally Posted by LorrieB viewpost.gif

I think a lot is in the eye of the beholder. We had the purser's desk hanging up if we called from the cabin, which I find unacceptable. The offer of the free ride to Houston didnt come until after we had debarked in New Orleans. Had we not left and gotten back on the ship, that night they did make that offer, my ESP wasnt working. I didnt care for the CD etc.

I still think it was my worst cruise and Iv been on a few more than you have. Doesnt mean everything went bad, but there was more room for improvement. I have issues too with leaving my car there during hurricane season next Sept, still worried me. Never blamed Carnival for that, just for things onboard I thought could have been improved. It doesnt make one of us wrong and one right, we had different experiences. I am totally at a loss about cars, and had two disabled women, neither of whom had a clue, you had a husband to lean on. I dont think one person's experiences should be dismissed as dishonest, just different.

The exact example I was looking for... EVERYONE sees things their way EVERY time. So the same group experience comes out totally different, with completely different comments.... and both are HONEST.

Archived