How People Fall Overboard

idlenote

We were in Cozumel back in March, tied up across the dock from the Triumph. It was getting close to time for the Triumph to sail, and we were out on the balcony watching the foot races down the dock as her passengers were racing to catch the ship.

I noticed a passenger who had obviously been indulging in adult beverages, on one of the balconies on the Triumph pull the chair over to the balcony railing, then stand up on the chair, and lean out way to far to take some pictures towards the stern of the ship.

I knew they were going to slip, the only question was which way were they going to go. If they went over the side, they were going to hit the lifeboat two decks down and then go another forty feet to the dock or into the water, if they were lucky they were going to hit the deck pretty hard.

I stepped into the cabin to tell DW we were going to have a bad accident, when I looked back out, the chair had slid out from under their feet and they were laying on the balcony. The roommate was out trying to pick them up off the deck.

I watched for a couple more minutes, they finally got up, and I'll be dipped if they didn't pull the chair back to the rail, get back up and lean over to take some more pictures. At that point, I pulled the curtains closed and wished the well.

I really am not sure what I should have down, if that had been on my work site I would have had the safety man come and haul them off. Seeing as it was on another ship than the one I was on, I don't know who I should have notified. In hindsight, I guess I should have called security on the Conquest and at least let them know to tell the people on the Triumph they had a potential problem.

I just wonder how many of these incidents occur where people do not keep their feet on the deck when they are close to railings. Get your feet above deck level, all it takes is a gentle roll, the railing acts as a pivot, and you're off for a swim.

Someone I saw did have a pic of some idiot standing on the rail of his balcony holding the side strut. So people do actually climb up on the rails. why I dont know.

I think the one guy who fell, didnt he say he thought he was spiderman or some such that they fished out of the drink?

Someone I saw did have a pic of some idiot standing on the rail of his balcony holding the side strut. So people do actually climb up on the rails. why I dont know.

I think the one guy who fell, didnt he say he thought he was spiderman or some such that they fished out of the drink?

The highest thing I climb on on the ship is my bar stool......;);)

I never thought about the camera, I just knew when they got back up on the chair after falling once, I was not going to watch it and have it ruin the rest of my vacation.

I talked to our safety man before we left, had him give us a safety harness. After all, if DW went over the balcony, no one would believe I didn't push her. I must confess I didn't see a lot of tie-off points.

I remember one day during a cruise last winter when we were having rough seas east of Florida. DH and I took the elevator up to the lounge on the top floor with a panoramic view of the ocean so we could watch the waves. As we were sitting there, we noticed a guy walking with his toddler around the upper deck above the pool area. There were high winds with the ocean water spraying, which made it very slippery. We could not believe this guy would be walking outdoors in bad weather with rough seas--but especially not with a toddler. One big wave and they both could have been thrown overboard.

We also saw a father with 2 young daughters walk up the stairs on the back of the ship to a deli for lunch. WE were indoors eating and watched this guy trying to keep his balance with these 2 girls. Did it ever occur to him to just go to the buffet and stay indoors during a storm? We kept watching the ship going up and down with these huge waves rolling back and forth. I ended up getting so sick to my stomach worrying about these 2 little girls that I couldn't enjoy my lunch.

Finally, we were docked in the caribbean on Carnival Fascination having breakfast one morning when I noticed this kid about 7 years old sitting with his legs straddled between the metal bars and the wood railing in the aft area behind the buffet. The father was just sitting eating his breakfast like there was nothing wrong. I told my husband to tell this guy to get his child off there before he fell overboard. This guy looked at us like it was none of our business.

I can't imagine being on NCL Sky right now after hearing a passenger went overboard before their first port. We were just on that ship a month ago.

There’s three sure-fire ways to end up overboard

1- To JUMP deliberately.

2- Be PUSHED/ THROWN over

3- To act/ place oneself outside of the required safety zone..

I always wonder why it’s always an “adult” that goes over, we never hear of a child or even a “wild” teenager….?????? :confused:

Just my two-cents.

I noticed a passenger who had obviously been indulging in adult beverages, on one of the balconies on the Triumph pull the chair over to the balcony railing, then stand up on the chair, and lean out way to far to take some pictures towards the stern of the ship.

Chlorine for the gene pool.

"I knew they were going to slip, the only question was which way were they going to go. If they went over the side, they were going to hit the lifeboat two decks down and then go another forty feet to the dock or into the water,"

I know you desperately wanted that person to fall and be injured. I bet you're very disappointed they did not.

"I stepped into the cabin to tell DW we were going to have a bad accident, when I looked back out, the chair had slid out from under their feet and they were laying on the balcony. The roommate was out trying to pick them up off the deck."

So they _DIDNT_ slip? Bad luck mate. Why don't you spy on them for awhile, maybe they'll make some mistake you can gossip about on the Internet?

"I watched for a couple more minutes, they finally got up, and I'll be dipped if they didn't pull the chair back to the rail, get back up and lean over to take some more pictures."

Did they? If you watch them for a few minutes maybe you can photograph them doing something embarrassing!!

"At that point, I pulled the curtains closed and wished the well."

You poor baby! So they didn't do anything embarrassing you could photograph?

"I really am not sure what I should have down,"

That's obvious.

Archived