Disembark earlier port?

jascarb

Will O let us disembark one port early? We are going Venice to Barcelona and want to get off at Palma De Malloraca, which is the day before Barcelona. In the past on another cruise we wanted to stay overnight in a a port and meet the ship the next day and my travel agent said no it couldn't be done but in the end they let us once I pushed for it.

Wonder if we can permanently get off..has anyone done this?

We where on the black sea cruise last year.When we arrived into Santorini, we noticed a few couples unloading all there luggage and staying on the Island. This also was the last port before we arrived into Athans our port of disembarkation.So I really dont know if you would have a problem.We are on the JUly 26th Venice to Barcelona.

Will O let us disembark one port early? We are going Venice to Barcelona and want to get off at Palma De Malloraca, which is the day before Barcelona. In the past on another cruise we wanted to stay overnight in a a port and meet the ship the next day and my travel agent said no it couldn't be done but in the end they let us once I pushed for it.

Wonder if we can permanently get off..has anyone done this?

It should not be a problem but you MUST get clearance from the cruise line ahead of time. We disembarked early in Malaga on a cruise going to Barcelona (though it was not O - but that should not matter). We even got permission from O to board the ship late (1 port after beginning of cruise).

you MUST get clearance from the cruise line ahead of time.

That is VERY good advice. The passage contract gives all of the options to the cruise line. Make sure that you get permission in writing for your specific situation. Don't assume ANYTHING.

If you've ever been to Europe, you know how happy their bureaucrats are with anything outside the norm.....particularly when it involves those rich North Americans.

You are on a cruise ship, not a prison.

Provided you have notified the cruise line ahead of time, and again (to make sure) onboard; provided you have made sure that your onboard account is finalised; provided you can carry off your own luggage, I don't see any way they can stop you. (Particularly in Europe - don't have that silly american law to worry about)

However, I would expect the cruiseline to be accommodating to their passenger's wishes (isn't that their business?) and assist you to disembark earlier. I once disembarked in St Thomas on a cruise ending in San Juan (to get the ferry over to Tortola to visit my god daughter) and, apart from a lack of communication between the Purser's office and the gangplank officer, there was no problem.

How can they reasonably stop you?

You are on a cruise ship, not a prison.

Provided you have notified the cruise line ahead of time, and again (to make sure) onboard; provided you have made sure that your onboard account is finalised; provided you can carry off your own luggage, I don't see any way they can stop you. (Particularly in Europe - don't have that silly american law to worry about)

However, I would expect the cruiseline to be accommodating to their passenger's wishes (isn't that their business?) and assist you to disembark earlier. I once disembarked in St Thomas on a cruise ending in San Juan (to get the ferry over to Tortola to visit my god daughter) and, apart from a lack of communication between the Purser's office and the gangplank officer, there was no problem.

Sorry Jolly, but it is just this type of loose talk that gets people in trouble. We're not talking about armed guards trouble, but financial trouble.

I was trying not to get into the specifics again, but there is always somebody who thinks that they "know better" so here goes:

"The Insignia visits cruise ports in the itinerary under "yacht priveleges". By these arrangements cruise passengers are permitted ashore for sightseeing purposes with a minimum of local government regulations. Under certain circumstances passengers may be embarked or finally disembarked at local ports but such arrangements must be made in advance. Passengers electing to leave or join the cruise en-route are advised that they may be assessed any additional port dues, levies or taxes incurred as a result of changes in the ships status occasioned by such local traffic.

Such port dues, levies and taxes will be prorated among the passengers disembarking or embarking at the local port."

You may not have been accosted in the past, but it only takes one cranky customs officer or port official and you're potentially thousands of dollars in the hole. :eek:

Nobody ever said that cruising was a democracy, GET PERMISSION!

That is VERY good advice. The passage contract gives all of the options to the cruise line. Make sure that you get permission in writing for your specific situation. Don't assume ANYTHING.

If you've ever been to Europe, you know how happy their bureaucrats are with anything outside the norm.....particularly when it involves those rich North Americans.

Wow StanandJim that was a rather sweeping statement.....lumping all the Europeans into one group.

Just look in the mirror and see the difficulties in us Brits, the No 1 allies to the USA, face in getting into America these days. Placing our eyes in a special biometric camera etc.

Travel in Europe across Borders is dome with little formaility these days and you are often just waved through.

Oh well.............

Brian

We were on the Nautica in '06 HKG-ATH and got off in Port Said so we could stay on in Egypt. We made arrangements in advance and coordinated with the Concierge and GM. Since we had proper documentation it was not a problem.

Brian - I agree with you relative to what you told Stan & Jim. Now that we have a proper President in place and he is making amends on the International scene, let's take that as a cue for "traveler bahavior" and not project the Ugly American anymore. I'm foreign born and have adopted the US , so I can see different sides of the coin. Bottom line - be polite. It does not cost anything to do that!!! :)

Brian & Kewp-

It seems that you're losing site of the issue here. The OP's question pertains to disembarking at a "through" port in Europe, which has nothing to do with the United States.

OK Brian, perhaps I should have said Bureaucrats instead of European Bureaucrats. They all live for their bureaucracy.

My simple aim was to point out that if you disembark early and "they" decide that it changes the status of the ship in that port, Oceania's passage contract says that YOU are liable for any additional costs to them.

Why take such a chance? My hunch is that if Oceania got stuck with a big fee they would still want you to pay it, but if you had written permission, at least you would have a leg to stand on.

Just look in the mirror and see the difficulties in us Brits, the No 1 allies to the USA, face in getting into America these days. Placing our eyes in a special biometric camera etc.

Brian

Brian,

I am sure you are an outstanding citizen and a great friend to us here in US and mean us no harm. Unfortunately that cannot be said of all people holding a UK citizenship & passport - hence the precautions (I assure you it is not personal or anti British)

I am certainly an upright and outstanding British Citizen and Passport holder and I mean you no harm.

I was only commenting on the sweeping statement from my good friends StanandJim (now corrected) about European bureaucracy aginst the " Rich North Americans "

Things happen all over the world which still amaze me in this 21st Century but hell......its what we do best.......create havoc.

I am currently trying to obtain a Tourist Visa for a 3 night trip to St Petersburg (via Plane not cruise) and you just would not believe the amount of form filling that is required....

Lifes a bitch.....and then you die

Brian

Brian-

As a responsible British Citizen (dare one say subject any longer?) what is your opinion of the maelstrom of terrorism that has taken hold in so much of the former Empire?

Just about every protectorate, mandate or colony that opted out of the Commonwealth is now a hotspot: Egypt, Iraq, Transjordan, Palestine.....even the Somalians.

We don't ask as a form of condemnation, we are seriously interested in how a thinking person in Britain would feel about this. :o

I am currently trying to obtain a Tourist Visa for a 3 night trip to St Petersburg (via Plane not cruise) and you just would not believe the amount of form filling that is required....

Brian

You are not kidding. :) I traveled to St. Petersburg three summers ago with my sister for a three-day stay also before a land trip to Scandinavia and it took me quite a while to fill out the required form, with the complete story of my life, career and education, and every country I had ever visited and the date of such visits, etc., etc. and so forth.

Have a great time; we really enjoyed the White Nights!

Mr. Millitary History informs me as follows:

Egypt - An independent country dominated by the British;

Iraq - A League of Nations mandate, nominally independent after WWI, but controlled by the British;

Transjordan - Part of the Palestine mandate, not a British colony, but supervised by the British, then split off by the British into two pieces, one Palestine and one Transjordan;

Palestine - See Transjordan above; and

Somalia - An Italian colony taken over by the British in WWII, run by the British until it became independent.

Hope this helps!

Iraq was never part of the Commonwealth, nor Palestine. I doubt even Egypt was, but can't remember, let alone the area where Somalia now is. (I'm Canadian, we're still in.)

I phrased that badly, what I was meant to say was that these countries opted to never join the Commonwealth when they were coming out of whatever British colonial status they were in (mandate, protectorate etc).

Somalia - An Italian colony taken over by the British in WWII, run by the British until it became independent.

Almost right.

The British influence in the area of Somalia began when Egypt withdrew in the 1880's.

After 1920 Somalia was officially divided into British Somalia and Italian Somalia.

In 1941, the British took over the whole thing because Italy could not defend its' section in the World War.

Although the British administered them together, interestingly, British Somalia became independent 5 days earlier than Italian Somalia, and when they became a single nation, their borders were drawn up by ........................Britain and Italy.

How is that for a confusing bucket of crazy? :rolleyes:

Strictly speaking the British Empire comprised those Countries that accepted The Royal family as their Sovereign.

Many were in the Carribean and of course the little places like Australia and Canada and India.

Generally even though many have opted out we still have excellent relationships with them and many still follow British legal rules.

As someone has already said Countries like Egypt and Somalia and Iraq were never a part of The Commonwealth but I thing that the Brits stepped in to bring a semblance of order to what was a poor situation at the time and moved on when required.

Finally StanandJim I do not feel that this particular forum is the place for my views on Terrorism.....indeed I get enough flack just commenting on silly questions about Cruises.

Peace and Love

Brian

Archived