Regent PG Transfers vs. Taxis

scotlady

Hi. We are coming in the night before our cruise, getting in at 9:30 pm (scheduled, anyways), and staying at the Intercontinental.

Will there be taxis available at the airport at 10:30 pm or later? Does anyone know what the fare is from the airport to the IC? If we choose to do private transfers, can anyone recommend a good company?

Also, I have read bad things about Regent's transfers from the Radisson to the airport? Has anyone taken a taxi instead? I don't mind paying the extra cost, just want as smooth a trip as possible. And if we do take a taxi, are we better off leaving for the airport a little before the rest of the passengers, to beat the rush?

And . . . I know Regent usually collects your luggage if you are transferring to the airport with them. Do they do this at the ship or at the hotel later? Very confused about the whole luggage collection process :confused:

Take a cab. Or wait and just see how the transfers seem to be going. You'll want to tell the transfer agent if you opt out, since they will be waiting for you.

Last time we had to sit in a bus for at least 20 minutes waiting for the last passengers on our bus to the Rad. This was mainly because of a large group of Vantage and Grand Circle pax. The time before it was just a mini van with 4 people. So you never know.

But the taxis aren't horribly expensive, and if it gets you to the hotel sooner, then great. You pay a night premium, but the IC is fairly close to the airport, so it should not be more than $30, probably less.

Hopefully they have got check-in at the IC seamless and easy; our checkin at the Rad this last time was great.

As for debarkation and luggage--no, the luggage is transferred to the dayroom hotel (Rad) with you, then you have to identify it later and they transfer it by van to the airport, then you have to collect it again. Big pain in tne butt. This I would definitely say, go a bit early by cab. Lineups for checkin at the airport are horrendous as well.

I agree with Wendy. Sometimes we have had no problem and reached the ship really fast others we were caught up in a busload of people and it took some time. I hadnt changed any money the last time so I just went ahead and did it and only half the bus was filled by the time I finished. Even at that we were the first bus at the ship.

I would certainly take a taxi to the airport. We always leave early and do that. The line ups are bad at the airport and we always try to get the cheap biz tickets as a rule so like to be there early.

Take a cab. Or wait and just see how the transfers seem to be going. You'll want to tell the transfer agent if you opt out, since they will be waiting for you.

Last time we had to sit in a bus for at least 20 minutes waiting for the last passengers on our bus to the Rad. This was mainly because of a large group of Vantage and Grand Circle pax. The time before it was just a mini van with 4 people. So you never know.

But the taxis aren't horribly expensive, and if it gets you to the hotel sooner, then great. You pay a night premium, but the IC is fairly close to the airport, so it should not be more than $30, probably less.

Hopefully they have got check-in at the IC seamless and easy; our checkin at the Rad this last time was great.

As for debarkation and luggage--no, the luggage is transferred to the dayroom hotel (Rad) with you, then you have to identify it later and they transfer it by van to the airport, then you have to collect it again. Big pain in tne butt. This I would definitely say, go a bit early by cab. Lineups for checkin at the airport are horrendous as well.

Wendy, your post was a real eye-opener. There was no such thing as waiting for Vantage or Grand Circle when we cruised in 2004. I'm sooooo stuck in the good old days (prior to GCT purchasing the PG).

In any event, I completely agree about the lines at the airport. We used Regent airfare/transfers and were taken to a special line for check-in (thus avoiding the long lines). The airport in Tahiti is one of the worst we have been to in terms of not being able to handle the crowds. So, be sure to arrive early!

Definitely would take a taxi both to and from the airport. There will be plenty of taxis when you get there as the taxi drivers know the airline schedule, and when the big airplane arrives is their busiest time.

Returning to the US, the line at the airport is absolutely horrendous. Anything you can do to get there earlier than the big crowd is going to pay off. You will have to wait in line till the counters open, but if you are near the front of it, overall you will have less frustration and can get checked in then just relax.

Wendy, your post was a real eye-opener. There was no such thing as waiting for Vantage or Grand Circle when we cruised in 2004. I'm sooooo stuck in the good old days (prior to GCT purchasing the PG).

Yes. We had experienced GCT pax in 2005, but their arrangements were very separate from ours. This was the difference. This time we definitely were thrown in with them, for transfers. We just went along with it, including going back to the airport, mostly because we were lazy, and because we were travelling Business, so thought it wouldn't matter. Got treated like cattle by Tahiti Nui Travel (the ground operators, never known for being well-organized), with the nightmarish claiming of the baggage at the hotel foyer. Messy, very messy. And then there was a lineup at the Business and First class check-in, and it was very slow, service by ATN was awful.

Archived