Saletta on Silver Cloud

Sweetpea711423

Hi. Could someone tell me the price of dining in Saletta on the Silver Cloud. I will be on the ship in early June. Also wondered about people's thoughts about the cuisine and experience compared to simply dining in The Restaurant. Neither my husband nor I are big wine drinkers, so we're not sure it's worth it to us.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

The name has been changed to Le Champagne just to have conformity across the line. You can dine there for an additional $30 per person and you must buy wine from the "for sale" list. You can have the same menu accompanied by specially selected wines, course by course, for $200 each. The choice is yours. Our recent experiences in those rooms on the Wind & Cloud have been exceptional. Real progress from years past. The Chef is dedicated to the room. We are winos so we have enjoyed it both ways. Bon Voyage and enjoy.

We did not have dinner there this go around. On a cruise three years ago on Whisper, we did the wine pairing dinner. It was wonderful. Funny thing is that for each pairing, they need to open a new bottle of course, and depending on the number of folks doing the pairings, maybe more. The night we were there, the math didn't quite work, so instead of one glass of wine per course, you got 1 1/2 or more. Needless to say, by the end of dinner, we were a tad blurry loloo. The food was great, wines were outrageous and the atmosphere was tremendous. It is pricey at $200/person but I think it is something everyone should do at least once. As an example of the wines they serve, on one of the nights that had champagne included with one of the courses, they had Dom Perignon, I believe 2000. Where I live (Annapolis, MD), this is a $200+ bottle of champagne in any of the local restaurants.

Mark

Mark, thanks so much for the link to the website. Can't imagine how I wasn't able to find that before.

I must say, though, that I am a bit offended by the fact that Silversea has an additional charge for one of their restaurants. When I sailed on the Cloud previously there was a separate restaurant but no additional charge. It was delightful to have that choice of dining venues. As a luxury, "all inclusive" line, that is the way it should be. The last few years we have been sailing on Regent, and have enjoyed their additional included dining venues. We are switching back to Silversea because of the change in smoking policy on Regent. However, I do find it disappointing that there is an additional charge.

Thanks, duct tape. I remember La Terrazza from the last time we were on Silver Cloud. It is quite nice, but I don't consider it comparable to the level of Saletta. So I remain of the view that I really don't think it's right for Silversea to charge for it. I am actually kind of baffled that a deluxe line like this would appear to be "nickle and diming" its clientele, which is exactly the kind of thing one chooses a line like this to avoid. That being said, I love Silversea and am looking forward to our cruise.

Charging extra for a restaurant is one of my peeves too. And wait until the Spirit comes along....there'll be an extra charge for two restaurants. I could see the possible logic for Le Champagne because of the quality of the wine pairings but I see NO justification for charging for an Asian themed restaurant, even if they serve wagyu beef. Leave the wagyu off the menu and don't charge.

wripro,

I hadn't heard that about the Spirit. That's truly outrageous. Again, I'm not sure why Silversea would do this and just annoy their clientele who have other luxury lines to choose from who don't do this. Why not just raise the overall price a bit and have all restaurants be inclusive? I just think that's more in keeping with what people are looking for from an "all inclusive" line. It just leaves a bad feeling.

Henry, DebbieH a frequent SS poster/blogger and TA, was on a conference call w/Steve Tucker of SS, and posted on her blog SS has not yet made the final decsion to charge a specialty restaurant fee in one (le champange, imo well worth it) or two (LC and Seisin (the asian themed restaurant) specialty restaurants on the Spirit. However, I concur with both sweetpea and you...charging fees for more than one specialty restaurant is "outrageous."

Wes,

If they haven't decided whether to charge a fee in Seisin they should not have put out brochures and publicity which states that they will charge. Personally, I would stay away just as a protest. Let the staff eat their wagyu beef for free!!!

Sweetpea,

Yes, the reservation at La Terrazza is for a specific time. That's why it's called a reservation.

One more thing which occurs to me as I write. Frankly, I think this Wagyu beef that they advertise is nothing more than a marketing gimmick just like butlers in all suites. Yes, there will be wagyu beef on the menu but the vast majority of items served will probably be the same kinds of things found in any good Asian fusion restaurant. Crystal manages to have Nobu restaurants aboard for which they charge nothing extra. In the end they may try charging but I predict after sailing for a while with a half empty restaurant they will drop the charge (and the wagyu beef!!!!!)

Wes,

If they haven't decided whether to charge a fee in Seisin they should not have put out brochures and publicity which states that they will charge. Personally, I would stay away just as a protest. Let the staff eat their wagyu beef for free!!!

Sweetpea,

Yes, the reservation at La Terrazza is for a specific time. That's why it's called a reservation.

Thanks, wripro, but what I meant was whether there is only one set time to eat dinner at La Terrazza (such as 7pm), rather than having a choice of when to make your reservation for, as is the case with Saletta. Does anyone know whether that is so?

Archived