Which would you choose?

lysolqn

Long time loyal and frequent X cruisers, we're planning a cruise with our children and grandchildren for late October/early November. Unfortunately, that's a time of year when X has no ships in the Caribbean so we've had to look elsewhere. We're considering both HAL Eurodam and Emerald Princess but are experiencing a bit of separation anxiety with respect to cruising with a line other than X. Though we've cruised both HAL and Princess in the past, I'd really appreciate some feedback from other X loyalists who've either cruised on these ships or on other HAL/Princess ships. Eurodam is less than $1000 in total more than Princess so pricewise, it's almost a wash. How do you think the HAL and Princess products measure up to X? Strengths, weaknesses? Thanks.

I faced the same situation last year with "separation anxiety" after being with Celebrity for over 12 years. My issue wasn't that they didn't have my preferred sailings, but that they had changed the product so much I couldn't bear to take another X.

So I had the same choice. I went with Ruby Princess. It was not at all to my liking in many areas. It was indeed worse than X. I had my fingers crossed that it would be "similar" to Celeb, (I already knew it wouldn't be Celeb - but was hoping for a close comparison.) The closest I can come to describing my December (dates are important!) experience, would be my Royal Carribean cruise from nearly 13 years ago.

I would go with HAL for better quality - but hands down Princess for the kids. Sounds like you really don't have a choice, as you know HAL will be 70+ year old passengers, where Princess will have better mix.

I'm booking future cruises on HAL, Regent, Oceania and Summit for a Bermuda. I can't stay "brand loyal" any longer, to me there's just too many changes. So, each line I book now for different reasons. If I just want the transport and am willing to accept a lower experience, I book the "cheapest" - Celebrity or HAL.

If I'm booking for on board experience and quality, I go to Oceania and Regent.

In any case, I think if you lower your expectations a tad, book the Princess. No, it's not HORRIBLE like NCL or anything, it's just not the old Celebrity. Your whole family should have a great time, since you'll all be together. Good luck!!:)

Long time loyal and frequent X cruisers, we're planning a cruise with our children and grandchildren for late October/early November. Unfortunately, that's a time of year when X has no ships in the Caribbean so we've had to look elsewhere. We're considering both HAL Eurodam and Emerald Princess but are experiencing a bit of separation anxiety with respect to cruising with a line other than X. Though we've cruised both HAL and Princess in the past, I'd really appreciate some feedback from other X loyalists who've either cruised on these ships or on other HAL/Princess ships. Eurodam is less than $1000 in total more than Princess so pricewise, it's almost a wash. How do you think the HAL and Princess products measure up to X? Strengths, weaknesses? Thanks.

Hi Lysolqn !

I know how you feel. We always sail Celebrity, unless they do not have a ship that fits our schedule. The Summer season is a good example. IMHO, Celebrity made a mistake, bringing their ships back so late this coming season. Fortunately, they are bringing the ships back earlier in 2010, but that doesn't solve your problem. Celebrity is going to lose some business due to these decisions.

Given your parameters, I would strongly consider Princess. We enjoyed our last Princess Cruise. They didnt disappoint, and we had a very nice time onboard Caribbean Princess, though I feel that Celebrity was a few notches above, in most areas. If I had to look beyond Celebrity, my next choice would be Princess.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy your Cruise !

Just a different suggestion: given the exact time of the year that you want to go, and the age of the grandchildren, you may want to also consider Disney just this once. Very good quality and a quieter cruising period can be a winning combination for a one-time-only experience that the kids will love! (as well as the parents!;)) Given that your preferred choice is Celebrity for other planned cruises, your "separation anxiety" should be short-lived... :D

Because of the kids, I would choose Princess. I have cruised with X, HAL. and Princess plus 4 other cruise lines. There are good points about each cruise line (even Carnival, although it would be my last choice).

Thanks for your responses. Right now we're leaning toward Princess but are still a bit gun shy as the result of a less than stellar experience on Crown Princess in 2007. We were on a late August, 9-night Caribbean cruise out of NY (our homeport) and were uncomfortable amongst what can only be described as a particularly loud, rowdy, ill-mannered and poorly-behaved passenger load. On top of that (and perhaps because of that!), staff and crew were some of the most unhappy employees we've come across in almost 50 cruises. Service was sorely lacking and food was mediocre at best, yet here we are considering Princess again.

We are booked with our son, DIL and grandson (7) on the Westerdam leaving Nov 1. HAL is a great cruise line. Of course we are also booked on the Century on Nov 28 for 14 days. We have 10 HAL cruises and 10 Celebrity. Any of the HAL ship should be fine. We used to cruise HAL in the 70s and 80s with our then 7 yr old. He and we always had a blast. You can't miss. Excellent service and good food. Have a great cruise. Have also sailed Princess but not in 15 yrs.

lysolqn, I feel your pain.:o

I'd recommend HAL over Princess, whether you're taking your grandkids or not.

I wouldn't think the age difference on HAL is SO great that it's going to negatively impact your cruise. IMO, HAL's cruise experience is much closer to the X cruise experience, and Princess is a noticebly lesser quality product, especially the so-so service! True, there are probably more things to keep kids buzy on Princess, but the kids I've seen on HAL looked like they were having the time of their lives.

If it were me, I'd go with HAL without batting an eye. It's just so much nicer than Princess.

Archived