Hotel- London vs. Southampton

Bxc53

We are on the November 09 TA on the IOS, departing Monday Nov 23.. We'll be arriving Friday and plan to stay in central London. This is our first trip to the UK.

We're debating whether to go to Southampton Sunday afternoon and get a hotel there or to spend one more night in London. What would there be in Southampton from a visitor (tourist) perspective on a Sunday afternoon/evening?

Stay in London and go to port on the day of departure. I am on Voyager this May, my wife and I are staying in London two nights and three days to sightsee; we have arranaged to go to the port on day of departure. It is about 2 hr drive from downtown London to the port; allowing for traffic. Hope this helps.

We're debating whether to go to Southampton Sunday afternoon and get a hotel there or to spend one more night in London.
I would spend one more night in London. There's no point going to Southampton one day early. There's no real risk of you failing to get to Southampton on the same day as sailing, and there's much more to do and see in London than in Southampton.

Thanks for the replies.

So, I'm hearing that there is not much for the visitor in Southampton? We'd eventually like so see quite a bit of the UK, London aside, but that may be for another visit.

Thanks for the replies.

So, I'm hearing that there is not much for the visitor in Southampton? We'd eventually like so see quite a bit of the UK, London aside, but that may be for another visit.

We just did a TA on QM2 with tablemates who live in Southampton (10 minute cab ride to the dock!) and they said that there is little to do in Southampton. There are some restored naval vessels at Portsmouth, not too far away on the Solent, if that interests you, but otherwise, I'd stay in London.

Stay in London and go to port on the day of departure. I am on Voyager this May, my wife and I are staying in London two nights and three days to sightsee; we have arranaged to go to the port on day of departure. It is about 2 hr drive from downtown London to the port; allowing for traffic. Hope this helps.

2hr to drive, 1h20 by train. 1h40 on the slow train (which on megabus.com you can get for as little at GBP 2)

Hi AF-1,

Being from the Southampton area, I'd like to say that Southampton is well worth more time. But it isn't. Despite the higher cost, go see London this time round. Trains from London Waterloo to Southampton 3 per hour, journey time an hour or a little more, various other travel options, distance about 70 miles, travelling to Southampton on sailing day is not a problem

I hate London, but you'll enjoy the visit.

Regards,

John Bull

Archived