Alcatraz San Francisco

Gwendy

Any information on visiting Alcatraz, not as part of ship's tour? Is it worth it? Being August will the queues be long for the launch at Fisherman Island?

Have been to San Francisco before but not to Alcatraz. Any info appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gwen

I cannot get real specific, but there is little point in doing the ship's tour unless it's the same price of course.

The tour is certainly worth it, I really enjoyed the tour and the quick trip over to the island.

It's easy to get tickets, just show up at the dock, we had just missed a boat over and ha to wait 30 mins for the next one, the lines were not long at all.

I've taken my 5th/6th grade class and their parents to Alcatraz for field trips a number of times. Everyone has enjoyed it. They have an excellent audio tour. Definitely purchase tickets online in advance. Boats leave the pier every 30 minutes, and you can hop on any boat that returns every 30 minutes from the island, so your timing can be flexible.

for the summer-0-you must have tickets in advance. the boat no longer leaves from fisherman's wharf area--but down more by the ferry building on the embarcadero. the audio tour is ok--but you also have the option of not buying it and just wandering around on your own or taking a ranger led tour on a specific topic (can't know the topics in advance though). if your boat is in town late--there are late afternoon/evening visits. the boat ride is only about 15-20 minutes long. there are no facilities on the island other than water and bathrooms and a great bookstore.

do not count on "just waiting in line for the launch"

be sure you bring a warm coat if you visit the island--NO MATTER what the weather is like-I used to work over there and the visitors are on the cold side of the island--and it is always windy and cold. the warm side is off limits due to the danger.

thanks for information from everyone. That's why this forum is so good. "Sharing and caring". Will organise tickets in advance. Sorry for "Fishermans Island", that is a location near here, Brisbane, Qld, Australia. Did know it was Fishermans Wharf.

Thanks again.

for the summer-0-you must have tickets in advance. the boat no longer leaves from fisherman's wharf area--but down more by the ferry building on the embarcadero. the audio tour is ok--but you also have the option of not buying it and just wandering around on your own or taking a ranger led tour on a specific topic (can't know the topics in advance though). if your boat is in town late--there are late afternoon/evening visits. the boat ride is only about 15-20 minutes long. there are no facilities on the island other than water and bathrooms and a great bookstore.

do not count on "just waiting in line for the launch"

be sure you bring a warm coat if you visit the island--NO MATTER what the weather is like-I used to work over there and the visitors are on the cold side of the island--and it is always windy and cold. the warm side is off limits due to the danger.

One of the ranger's tours is about Alcatraz Escape "attempts". It was interesting and a lot of fun. There is no additional charge. You can do the rangers' tours and still do the self-guided audio tour FYI.

+1 on the warm coat suggestion. Brrrr.

Pier 33 right next to Pier 35 where Princess ships usually docks.

So I am on Mariner with its revised itinerary. I am assuming it should be docking close to where the princess ship usually docks, does this mean it is walking distance to where the Alcatraz tour would leave from? :confused:

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Below is the docking schedule for San Francisco. Mariner is not yet assigned a pier. If it turns out to be Pier 32 that is over 2 miles away. Pier 35 and Pier 27 are on either side of Pier 33. The Piers are numbered evens in one direction and odds in the other direction of Ferry Building (Pier zero).

http://www.sfgov.org/site/port_page.asp?id=61732

So I am on Mariner with its revised itinerary. I am assuming it should be docking close to where the princess ship usually docks, does this mean it is walking distance to where the Alcatraz tour would leave from? :confused:

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Below is the docking schedule for San Francisco. Mariner is not yet assigned a pier. If it turns out to be Pier 32 that is over 2 miles away. Pier 35 and Pier 27 are on either side of Pier 33. The Piers are numbered evens in one direction and odds in the other direction of Ferry Building (Pier zero).

http://www.sfgov.org/site/port_page.asp?id=61732

Thanks for the info! I love this site!

Yes -- Pier 35 has 2 berths N & S. The next cruise pier is Pier 27 which is just a 5 min walk from Pier 35 away from Pier 39 and toward the Ferry Bldg. Pier 32 which is used when both berths of Pier 35 and also Pier 27 is busy. Pier 32 is about 2 miles from Pier 35.

ok I will ask the dumb question does P35 south on the list mean pier 35?

Link to Article from SF Chronicle Friday, May1.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/01/BU7I17CGOP.DTL&type=business

Abstract from above article:

"The Mariner of the Seas has never called at San Francisco before, but will stop at San Francisco 12 more times between today and July 27. The Carnival Splendor has scheduled three more stops in San Francisco in May instead of trips to Mexico, and has inquired about the availability of dock space through June.

San Francisco had to turn away the Carnival Splendor for a day's port call on May 11. The port already had three cruise ships scheduled on that day, and there was no suitable berth."

• 3 weeks later...
Gwen, if you want to see Alcatrez on your own then my advice is to purchase the tickets in advance. Many times if you wait for the day, the tickets are all sold out.

Here is a web site that you can consider.

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

Keith

I went to that website and was looking for 24th Aug. which it says is unavailable. Could it be that they only book a maximum of 2 months out?

Also we only have 2 days in SF - what sort of time is required for Alcatraz if we did the Early Bird tour? We want to see it but don't want it to monopolise our visit either

I went to that website and was looking for 24th Aug. which it says is unavailable. Could it be that they only book a maximum of 2 months out?

Yes, it appears to be. The last date with current availability is August 19, so give it a week or so (but you don't need to book first thing either).

Also we only have 2 days in SF - what sort of time is required for Alcatraz if we did the Early Bird tour? We want to see it but don't want it to monopolise our visit either

The early bird is the same as the other day's tours but they just give it a special name! Essentially, you can take as long as you want on any of the day tours, so can work to a schedule if you need to. You could even return straight away on the shuttle ferry, but there wouldn't be much point in that. Generally, it's good to have about 2-3 hours to have a look around most of the things there, but you can hustle through quicker, or take your time - you can take any ferry back that you want. The only thing I'd mention is if you're returning later in the day, don't go to the wharf at the last minute. Due to people staying as long as they want, that can result in a build up and a ferry may be full if you're last in line (though they do have a good capacity).

It looks like they go out three months as the week before that one shows the tours and that is three months out. So, check the site in a week or so.

When we took the tour it was a few hours.

Keith

visiting alcatraz is a free form tour. you get off the boat, and, if you purchase the audio tour (95% do do this), you listen to a few rules, then make your way up to the cellhouse on top. you can follow the audio tour around the cell house. you could also fast forward and skip stuff--it is on your own time. you can also just wander around and look at stuff--it is mostly an empty building.

the rangers also give 1 hour tours during the day on special topics--such as gardens of the rock or escape attempts or the army on alcatraz. you can do these in addition or instead of audio tour.

the rock also has a big bookstore/gift shop. and I think it still has a video of the history--shown by the bookstore. you go back on any boat you want.

what ever the weather that day--take a coat!!! you are on the cold side of the island and it is cold in the cellhouse. windbreaker, sweatshirt--whatever. the locals all come bundled up--and august can be very cold--with wind.

Archived