Am I the only one who is tired of all this swine flu talk.

frito58

one can only hope that this will make the general population a little more cautious about germs, washing hands and such.... but my guess is, probably not!

the media has folks huddled up in their homes becuase they say the sky is falling. You expect them to re-enforce their roofs when the sun shines tomorrow?

I'm very concerned that these "wolf cries" will have a very adverse impact when we face the real thing - and someday we will.

We are sailing on the Liberty May 30 and neighbors are harassing my wife about taking the "risk" of traveling and bringing the swine back and infecting the neighborhood. I can't believe the fear factor related to this.

Sound like your neighbors are more worried that they will get the illness because you and your wife gave it to them. Did it occur to them that if you have the illness, you will not be visiting neighbors or anything else for that matter but trying to get well?

We are sailing on the Liberty May 30 and neighbors are harassing my wife about taking the "risk" of traveling and bringing the swine back and infecting the neighborhood. I can't believe the fear factor related to this.

Oh, man! I would be having so much fun with the neighbors! I'd probably visit a local grocery store right after I returned, and buy a bunch of smoked pork hocks. Then wrap each one individually in a pretty cellophane bag for each of the neighbors. I'd tell them (through a few coughs into a wadded tissue), "we couldn't decide on a souveneir to get you, so we decided to let you sample the local flavors. This was considered a fine delicacy in [insert port name]." :D

My daughter stopped for a cup of coffee this morning and started coughing while in the store and she said people were running to get away from her:eek::eek:

That may actually be a great way to get a crowded restaruant/coffee shop line to go quicker :p :eek:

I agree - its being blown way out of proportion! Much of it is rumor - NOT fact. People say there are "confirmed" cases, when they usually are not - just "suspected" cases, which turn out to be regular flu - which is far more deadly historically than this latest "swine" flu! Doctors and hospitals are being overwhelmed by people who are worried about it. And those poor Egyptian pigs!!

My husband survived the Viet Nam war, cancer, diabetes, and together we have eaten and lived in several foreign countries (I was even hospitalized with a deadly "amoeba" once in Venezuela - talk about sick). :eek:

Its life. People get sick. You can get a horrible flesh eating bacteria and lose limbs or life, right here in the US (did anyone see Oprah earlier this week?).

Normal precautions are fine - and even some extra ones - but killing off all the pigs in the country? You don't get it from eating pork!! They haven't even proven you get it from working with pigs.

The vast majority of people who have had it have survived.

Carnival - take me away!!!

It almost makes you wonder if there is some ulterior motive by someone or some government to gain more control of the people.

Omg the I think it's the end of the world:rolleyes:. If you listen the media. It's now in Ohio and people are not eating pork in fear of catching the flu:eek: One of my wife's employees was questioning her as to where we cruised, we just got back April 3, she was afraid we had been to Mexico and she might catch it from her. I know it's not a good thing but man give me a break. People are afraid to leave their homes. Am I making to little of it or are there some that feel like me we are going to die sometime I don't think we can decide when and where. I survived cancer , went through a blizzard have seen tornados so I figure I can survive this.:)

I, for one, am enjoying watching all the unstable folks freaking out over this.

Lots of enjoyment for "zero" dollars !

That being said, I believe a whole lot of good old common sense is in order. Watch where you go, where you eat and who you go around.

As I am aware (Columbus, Ohio) very few people here are afraid to leave their homes, maybe different in your part of Ohio. Infected schools are being shut down (with good reason) and Mexico, where this is running wild, is being shut down.

It almost makes you wonder if there is some ulterior motive by someone or some government to gain more control of the people.
Bingo! Finally, somebody nailed it.

My kid can come if that spot has not been filled!

;)

(woof)

Hi Tracey!

Hi Kandy, welcome home!! I couldn't believe this lady, she was amazed that we were still having Noah's party this weekend, because it's in an arcade, and is worried about "all those hands and all those germs" on the arcade games.

Trying not to be too smug, I assured her that if her son comes to the party, I will bring Purell and handi-wipes, and take hourly trips to the john for extreme hand washing.

She also couldn't believe we were taking the kids to the movies after to see Wolverine, being "confined indoors with all that coughing". Who's coughing???

Anyways, let's all hope this blows over in the very near future.:eek:

Hi Kandy, welcome home!! I couldn't believe this lady, she was amazed that we were still having Noah's party this weekend, because it's in an arcade, and is worried about "all those hands and all those germs" on the arcade games.

Trying not to be too smug, I assured her that if her son comes to the party, I will bring Purell and handi-wipes, and take hourly trips to the john for extreme hand washing.

She also couldn't believe we were taking the kids to the movies after to see Wolverine, being "confined indoors with all that coughing". Who's coughing???

Anyways, let's all hope this blows over in the very near future.:eek:

Were there no germs prior to now?

Well, I *did* just get back from Cozumel <cough>

I'm pretty sick of hearing about the Swine Flu in the local media, where its played up to death.

But the fact of the matter is, it's wreaked some major havoc in the cruise industry for the time being. You can't deny its going to be the prime topic on this site, until it goes away.

If you go to the OFFICIAL WHO site, you see what they say...vs what the media is sobbing about! Our local news said 157 dead in Mexico , THIS is from the WHO official site last night:

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 5

29 April 2009 -- </SPAN>The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 18:00 GMT, 29 April 2009, nine countries have officially reported 148 cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 91 laboratory confirmed human cases, with one death. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html

QUITE a difference!!!

This taken from another poster on another Swineflu thread. I cut and pasted but dont have the owner.

And I quote: "The newscycle will expire soon and unless this thing starts ringing up an impressive death toll, the media will move on to something more sensational."

You forgot the tomatos and the spinich before that...not to mention those pesky little mosquitos with their West Nile virus, the mad cows, the SARS...

There's always some new horror to be found....:eek:

Like the Taco Bell lettuce.

I'm not. It's the next best thing since the Royal Champions debacle and the RCCL perks/CL loss.

C'mon Pete! The *best* was that mentally unbalanced teenager who left the bomb scare note in one of the restrooms on an Ensenada-Hawaii sailing (May 2003 perhaps?) of one of RCI's ships. She was upset that her parents made her go instead of letting her stay home and boink the boyfriend for 12 days.

Archived