Am I the only one who is tired of all this swine flu talk.

frito58

i'm certainly sick of all the talk about it, but i can't help being amused by what i saw in Walgreens yesterday...

they had taken packages of surgical maskes, put one mask in a gallon size ziplock back and slapped a $1.99 sticker on it and had a huge pile at the checkout (nevermind that the virus is smaller than the size the masks protect against!)

also... the hand sanitizer isle was a desert

if nothing else, it's a small boost to the economy!

We got an email not to talk to the media because we didn't want to contribute to the hysteria. The next email....put your hand sanitizer and face masks in the front of the store with signs saying "Protect yourself from swine flu"....I love big corp!:rolleyes:

A thumb in the chili at Wendy's. Talk about finger food!

You read my mind!! LOL

Love the quote from the WHO site. Maybe someone should come up with a law to stop this fearmongering...report FACTS!!! or face the consequences!

Definitely had enough of this new "threat" .....as it can't be a pandemic

pan·dem·ic (pn-dmk)

adj.

1. Widespread; general.

2. Medicine Epidemic over a wide geographic area and affecting a large proportion of the population: pandemic influenza.

unless a couple hundred people is now a large proportion of the population

Socialized medicine has nothing to do with it..no matter what you or I might think. The source is suspected to be a pig farm in Mexico, owned by an American company, Smithfield. The problem is not the medical care but the lack of environmental laws that attract large companies...who then do not do what they would do in the states to make sure these things do not happen.

Its quite likely that free trade caused this problem....

I am so sick of it. Today at work my class was kicked out of my classroom so that the janitor could steralize everything. Last I heard there was 1 person in Michigan with it. We all got new giant bottles of hand sanitizer too. The media creates the panic.

Socialized medicine has nothing to do with it..no matter what you or I might think. The source is suspected to be a pig farm in Mexico, owned by an American company, Smithfield. The problem is not the medical care but the lack of environmental laws that attract large companies...who then do not do what they would do in the states to make sure these things do not happen.

Now I read on MSN that they tested that farm and there was no swine flu to be found so it has been cleared. But the young boy that was the first confirmed case to have it lived by the farm - but they still ruled it out as the source.

Makes you wonder. But thankfully the boy recovered and is fine.

A consultant to the UN's food & agriculture organization said it is even possible that someone tending to the pigs could have passed a human influenza virus to a pig already infected with another type of swine flu & then that pig could've also come in contact with a bird virus then the new H1N1 virus was formed and could've been transmitted back to the workers but non of them tested positive for H1N1 - so that doesn't sound like a good possibility.

I also read that a 7 mo old girl also from the same village died early but her family won't let the inpectors dig up her body to check so they really don't know if maybe she was the first one to have it?

Wasn't there a movie with Dustin Hoffman & Renee Rousou (sp) where a person smuggled a monkey over to the states then was bit and started this deadly infection by coughing?? Was it called outbreak or something??? Wonder if they will be showing that movie on tv anytime soon?

But I do feel for anyone that may get this - flu of any kind is miserable!!

Omg the I think it's the end of the world:rolleyes:. If you listen the media. It's now in Ohio and people are not eating pork in fear of catching the flu:eek: One of my wife's employees was questioning her as to where we cruised, we just got back April 3, she was afraid we had been to Mexico and she might catch it from her. I know it's not a good thing but man give me a break. People are afraid to leave their homes. Am I making to little of it or are there some that feel like me we are going to die sometime I don't think we can decide when and where. I survived cancer , went through a blizzard have seen tornados so I figure I can survive this.:)

Thank god you posted this - I wanted to earlier but thought I would get majorly flamed for it ...I am cruising in 5 Days to Alaska and it is all one can talk about or ask me ....enough already :eek:

As of today, there has been no positive test that any hog had the virus on that farm. They are testing the animals again just to be sure. Please don't post inaccuracies.

Here is the link to the AP article:

http://journalstar.com/articles/2009/04/30/news/business/doc49f9e8b98ee6a602453222.txt

And yes, I'm sick of this flu paranoia also.

It has only started and I am tired of hearing all the hysteria. I work with a surgeon and there is nothing different we do in this situation than any other flu virus. Like Ron said, SARS was such a big deal and fizzled out rather quickly. Yes, this is different, but if people use their heads, listen and follow what they should do, it can be controlled or made easier to deal with.

radio, tv, internet, newspaper....it's everywhere, even in this forum.

we should all just go back to discussing how to smuggle booze in our check-in luggage, that was more fun.

radio, tv, internet, newspaper....it's everywhere, even in this forum.

we should all just go back to discussing how to smuggle booze in our check-in luggage, that was more fun.

Here! Here! Do you use rumruner flasks or empty out water bottles?:p

Now I read on MSN that they tested that farm and there was no swine flu to be found so it has been cleared. But the young boy that was the first confirmed case to have it lived by the farm - but they still ruled it out as the source.

Makes you wonder. But thankfully the boy recovered and is fine.

A consultant to the UN's food & agriculture organization said it is even possible that someone tending to the pigs could have passed a human influenza virus to a pig already infected with another type of swine flu & then that pig could've also come in contact with a bird virus then the new H1N1 virus was formed and could've been transmitted back to the workers but non of them tested positive for H1N1 - so that doesn't sound like a good possibility.

I also read that a 7 mo old girl also from the same village died early but her family won't let the inpectors dig up her body to check so they really don't know if maybe she was the first one to have it?

Wasn't there a movie with Dustin Hoffman & Renee Rousou (sp) where a person smuggled a monkey over to the states then was bit and started this deadly infection by coughing?? Was it called outbreak or something??? Wonder if they will be showing that movie on tv anytime soon?

But I do feel for anyone that may get this - flu of any kind is miserable!!

Outbreak...creepy movie...the monkey did it!!:eek:

LOL a thread of people sick of hearing about the swine flu discussing the swine flu. :rolleyes:

I love it!

Guilty as charged:D:D and I just turned the news on do you want to know how many people have the flu.:rolleyes:

LOL a thread of people sick of hearing about the swine flu discussing the swine flu. :rolleyes:

I love it!

this threat serves a great purpose ! Finally a place we can discuss it with some humor involved.:D I've found it amazing this week here at home that so many of those that I'd normally share similiar opinions with are way over reacting big time to this virus.

Hey, at least its a new topic away from the normal stuff !

Nope, you're not alone at all!! I have stopped watching the news, and stopped reading the news updates on my phone, because the whole thing is too much to listen to 24/7. My son is having a birthday party on Sunday, and a parent just called and asked if I was going to cancel it due to "the outbreak"??

How did you manage to contain yourself? Oh my goodness!! I too am absolutely sick of the way this is being talked about in the media. All the school closings, killing of pigs in Egypt and folks act like the sky is falling. It's like get a grip please!! I am very anal though about handwashing, so at least some good will come out of this hopefully because I hate to see people sneeze in their hands and then open doors, go thru buffet lines and of course leave bathrooms without washing.

Im sorry, but I found this absoulty Hysterical!

{taken from our local School district Website)

April 30, 2009

Health Expo Canceled

The Healthy You, Healthy Earth Expo scheduled for this Saturday, May 2 at the GISD Special Events Center has been canceled due to health concerns. We are making an effort to reschedule this event in the future.

I couldn't agree more! If only half the attention was paid to cancer, heart problems and aids as it has been to this . . . :confused:

Wasn't it just a week or two ago when the panic was over the measles? As someone who has had measles, mumps and the chicken pox as a child . . . and somehow managed to survive . . . I just can't believe all the media hype over the flu.

Im sorry, but I found this absoulty Hysterical!

{taken from our local School district Website)

April 30, 2009

Health Expo Canceled

The Healthy You, Healthy Earth Expo scheduled for this Saturday, May 2 at the GISD Special Events Center has been canceled due to health concerns. We are making an effort to reschedule this event in the future.

:D:D:D:D

You should send that in to Letterman...they love these kinda things!!

Archived