How does Chops work?

Hi everyone-

I am considering making a reservation at Chops on my upcoming cruise. I have a few questions:

1. How is the food served? I have seen posts where people mention that the courses of food keep coming out. I looked at the menu on the RCCL web site - do you pick one appetizer, one entree, one side, etc per person or can you order as much as you want like in the MDR?

2. I have a linked reservation with my sister's cabin so we are sitting at the same table for dinner in the MDR. If I were to make a reservation, does it only include me and the person in my cabin? Would she have to make a separate reservation? If so, how can we verify that we would all still sit together?

Thanks for your help!:)

You would order as you would in any restaurant. They have appetizers, salads, entrees, desserts etc. The vegatables are served "family style". A plate/bowl for all to use. If there are many at the table, a few of each will be placed on the table.

You can make prior reservations for all in your party, but you will have to pay with your credit card. You can also make separate reservations prior to boarding or you can reserve as soon as you board. It is easy and definitely worth it.

The food is great, the service is wonderful and you will enjoy the whole experience.

The part where you ask, "can you eat as much as you want....."

I like to eat and love Chops, and after the meal, I was full and didnt want anymore food. I think you will love Chops IMO. I know some people dont want to spend the extra 25 bux and say the MDR is good enough. I personally think that the meal you get in Chops is like going to a Fine Dinning Restaraunt. For example....when you get Filet of Beef in the MDR, you get three small slices of beef. In Chops you can get a 10 oz filet and its AWESOME !! I think its so worth it and we try and go at least 1x per cruise.

Hi. Just sailed Freedom of the Seas a couple weeks ago. We ate at Chops one night and was by FAR the best food on the ship. MDR was pretty mediocore in food flavor. Very much worth the extra $. My husband had tbone that filled the entire plate and said it was one of the best steaks he has had in years. I had the jumbo shrimp and it looked like lobster. Very good.

You can order as many appetizers, & sides that you want. You could probably order more than one entree but an appetizer, couple of sides and entree is way more than enough.

Service was excellent also.

Hi. Just sailed Freedom of the Seas a couple weeks ago. We ate at Chops one night and was by FAR the best food on the ship. MDR was pretty mediocore in food flavor. Very much worth the extra $. My husband had tbone that filled the entire plate and said it was one of the best steaks he has had in years. I had the jumbo shrimp and it looked like lobster. Very good.

You can order as many appetizers, & sides that you want. You could probably order more than one entree but an appetizer, couple of sides and entree is way more than enough.

Service was excellent also.

Thank you for your reply- I am definitely leaning towards going. ;)

Sorry to report our experience on IOS Chops was not good. My DH and I had the fillet and ours was excellent, our traveling friends had T-bone and NY and both were barely a 1/2 thick and really over cooked (they ordered medium). They complained about it and the Matre D wanted to replace it which they did. The next day we both got bottles of wine with an apology note in our cabins.

All the appetizers, salads and veggies were very good. The mud pie was the best dessert. Service was excellent. The atmosphere was beautiful, it was quiet with soft lighting. Some tables are by the windows and had a beautiful view, we were seated inside.

We had made our reservations and paid via cc about 2 months before sailing.

When we boarded we went to Chops to check and make sure we all had reservations and were at the same table and we were.

We would not pay the difference again. The food in the MDR was great. We also heard Portofinos was not satisfactory but we did not eat there.

I know food quality can vary from ship to ship hope your special dinner is great.

I have been to Chopps Grille on the Enchantment & the Navigator and it is

well worth the $25.00 plus gratituity. I live in New York and we have some of the finest and most expensive steakhouses in the country.

When I go to Chops its as good, if not better than some of the best

steakhouses. I start off with a Shrimp Cocktail (bigger shrimp I do not think exists). I then have a Caesar salad and then my entree is Filet Mignon (rare and huge), Baked Potato (its like a grapefruit its so big) and a side of Asparagus followed by a Mud Pie or whatever the Chocolate dessert is.

That meal alone for 1 person in a restaurant would be $100.00.

For those who say that they are not paying extra, you are missing

out on a real treat!! The dining room food is okay, but not great. Face

it folks, its not that great anymore. I just love the RCCl experience.

Sorry to report our experience on IOS Chops was not good. My DH and I had the fillet and ours was excellent, our traveling friends had T-bone and NY and both were barely a 1/2 thick and really over cooked (they ordered medium). They complained about it and the Matre D wanted to replace it which they did. The next day we both got bottles of wine with an apology note in our cabins.

All the appetizers, salads and veggies were very good. The mud pie was the best dessert. Service was excellent. The atmosphere was beautiful, it was quiet with soft lighting. Some tables are by the windows and had a beautiful view, we were seated inside.

We had made our reservations and paid via cc about 2 months before sailing.

When we boarded we went to Chops to check and make sure we all had reservations and were at the same table and we were.

We would not pay the difference again. The food in the MDR was great. We also heard Portofinos was not satisfactory but we did not eat there.

I know food quality can vary from ship to ship hope your special dinner is great.

They replaced your entrees and gave you a free bottle of wine and an apology. Sounds like a good experience to me. ;) Glad the filet and veggies were good though.

Does anyone know if you can get a table for two people in Chops and Portofino?

Yes, they have quite a few small tables

I keep reading about this mud pie... I want some!

You and me both - that stuff is addictive!

try the Cheesecake. My wife and I don't care for cheesecake but, when we were ordering the mudpie the Waiter MADE us get the Cheesecake too.He said it was the best and insisted. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. We did not eat much more of the mudpie after that.

I personally thought that I would like Chops more, HOWEVER, we did both Portofino and Chops last week and I liked Port' more! Also, if you go to Chops, try the Rib Eye, it is great and HUGE! It was not on the menu, however, I noticed it on the tray that they brought out before the meal as they explained the menu. The waiter never even mentioned the Rib Eye, but I asked if it was one and he said yes.

Does anyone know if you can get a table for two people in Chops and Portofino?

Yes, although in our experience (Serenade) it was hard to get a table for two at a reasonable time on a port day. We got one for 8:30 and our friends tried a day later, this being before the cruise, and could only get 9:00 or 6:00. Then we showed up that night and the restaurant was 75% empty. They must have been holding large tables for bookings that never materialized either through lack of interest or cancellations. We were able to move our reservation up.

• 2 months later...
I have been to Chopps Grille on the Enchantment & the Navigator and it is

well worth the $25.00 plus gratituity. I live in New York and we have some of the finest and most expensive steakhouses in the country.

Not to beat the proverbial dead cow, but the $25 *is* the gratuity. Yes, many people leave an additional tip but I'm just pointing out to the OP that the fee you pay is advertised as the gratuity. There is no requirement to leave an additional tip.

Not to beat the proverbial dead cow, but the $25 *is* the gratuity. Yes, many people leave an additional tip but I'm just pointing out to the OP that the fee you pay is advertised as the gratuity. There is no requirement to leave an additional tip.

And if you believe that, I've got some nice ocean-front property right outside of Phoenix . . . .

The $25 is advertised as INCLUDING the gratuity - although most people do choose to leave more. Seeing the quality of food served in Chops (have you ever actually eaten there?) vs. the quality of food served in the MDR, how can anyone possibly believe that there is no upcharge for the actual food and individual preparation? Sorry, I just don't get it.

And if you believe that, I've got some nice ocean-front property right outside of Phoenix . . . .

The $25 is advertised as INCLUDING the gratuity - although most people do choose to leave more. Seeing the quality of food served in Chops (have you ever actually eaten there?) vs. the quality of food served in the MDR, how can anyone possibly believe that there is no upcharge for the actual food and individual preparation? Sorry, I just don't get it.

Try decaf tomorrow morning. :rolleyes:

Archived