Jeans Unacceptable at MDR for Dinner?

nomo4iz

We have just disembarked from the Connie and did not see anyone wearing jeans in the San Marco. You can always eat in the seaside grill in the evening if you wish to wear jeans. The food is excellent wherever you eat!!

Celebrity would be still be Celebrity without the upturned noses and priggishness of formal nights.

That's pretty rude. Since when is it OK to make remarks like that about people who enjoy the ambiance of formal night and appreciate it when others follow the posted dress code?

Celebrity specifically requests that pax follow the specified dress code.

For those that are opposed to jeans in the dining room, do you think that these looks would be inappropriate in the MDR on smart casual nights in Alaska?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChfHkAJZz8E&feature=dir

Didn't mommy ever read you the story of the emperor's new clothes?

Jeans are jeans. Trying to "dress them up" with a jacket or such is symptom of fatal yuppiedom and definitely very last century.

Celebrity specifically requests that pax follow the specified dress code.

If Celebrity is serious about no jeans, they need to update their website. You search for "Dress Code" and nowhere does it mention no jeans. It's only when you embark on a wild goose chase further into their site that you find it. I've e:mailed them about this, how confusing it is as well as a number of passengers here...they don't seem to care. Just how much digging do they expect people to do before they get the correct answer?

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Glad to see they finally confirmed the smart casual and above in the theatre is fine on formal night.

Didn't mommy ever read you the story of the emperor's new clothes?

Jeans are jeans. Trying to "dress them up" with a jacket or such is symptom of fatal yuppiedom and definitely very last century.

I respectfully disagree. There is a huge difference in my opinion between jeans for work/the everyday and dressier denim. It's a little sad that the mere fact that something is made of denim automatically means it's not as good as khakis or dockers or any other kind of pants that might be allowed. I don't mean to start a debate here, but it strikes me as almost class-ist, where one only sees jeans/denim as appropo for the working class or some such thing.

I've seen people who show up to the dining room in what I suppose is following the dress code and not in jeans who don't look half as nice as that model did in the outfits he was wearing. I think he looked much sharper than the people I've seen in khaki colored cargo pants and other pants in much more casual cuts than those jeans were. Tailoring/correct fit and proper outfit coordination to me makes much more of a difference than the fabric. As Dennis Miller is so fond of saying though, "That's just my opinion- I could be wrong".

If you're that desperate to wear jeans just wear them and don't worry about it. You will never get the approval of people who follow the dress code so why go on and on about it. If you think you're right what do you care about what anyone here says?

Those who don't wear them never have to be concerned about it. They just do what's requested.

I respectfully disagree.

(snip)

Tailoring/correct fit and proper outfit coordination to me makes much more of a difference than the fabric. As Dennis Miller is so fond of saying though, "That's just my opinion- I could be wrong".

That's part of the point. Denim is an extremely tight, stiff, twill weave that doesn't take to tailoring. No matter how expert the cutter is, no matter how skilled the seamer is, it's still denim still stiff and still untailored. They haven't yet made a silk purse out of that sow's ear, no matter what the merchant or a You Tube rehash of an ad tells you. Open your eyes that ye may see.

That's part of the point. Denim is an extremely tight, stiff, twill weave that doesn't take to tailoring. No matter how expert the cutter is, no matter how skilled the seamer is, it's still denim still stiff and still untailored. They haven't yet made a silk purse out of that sow's ear, no matter what the merchant or a You Tube rehash of an ad tells you. Open your eyes that ye may see.

Denim is cotton, khakis are cotton..same diff. I'll take either over elastic waisted polyester

Hey come on! I'm 65 plus: have cruised 10 + times and have a pair of blacky dressy (silky material) jeans style pants that have been worn on the good Old Norway and several other Norwegian ships: Celebrity's Millinium: Holland America's ships twice and yes , Carnival (once):

No one has ever spoken to me about them; my problem is because of back trouble, I need a yoked style pant where I can wear a wide belt. These have fit the bill. I always wear them with a dressy over top: They also cover up my ( horrible walking style shoes) that I must wear because of inserts along with a padded athletic style brace: We love cruising and if hubby is well enough we will be on one again in Dec. celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary: Heavy jeans are not acceptable for dress anywhere that requests smart casual: BUT neither are shorts and bathing suits:

I pack enough tops for 10 days and 1/2 that amount for my pants: Depending on the length of the cruise we usually use laundry service 2-3 times: Oh I do take dressy white jeans too.

We just got off the Infinity and there were jeans everywhere. My husband, who wanted to wear jeans, sat in the Rendevous lounge and tried counting all the people going into the MDR who were wearing jeans. He couldn't keep up!

Half of the people at our table wore jeans on smart casual night and the other half dressed smart casual or better. We all got along fine.

I don't care what anyone else wears, as long as I look fabulous, dahling :):)

You all are certainly patient and kind to a newbie who inadvertently posted what is apparently a hot button question :) Thank you.

It is really not a big deal, I was just making a joke about the sweat pants. I am about to purchase a new suitcase and was thinking that I should make sure it is appropriately sized for our Alaskan cruise. I was therefore wondering how much and what types of clothing to pack.

I understand completely that if you are not tall or do not know anyone who is, these things are just not issues that you probably ever consider. But even ONE extra pair of my husband's size 15 shoes will take up large amounts of suitcase space. And as many tall people can tell you, you don't put your cotton clothing in the dryer, no matter how preshrunk it claims to be. I figured two pairs of nice jeans would get me through the week for dinner, but I will rethink that.

We've been excited about the cruise and are trying to learn the ins and outs of cruising. One thing I seemed to read again and again is that what is posted as a rule is not necessarily so. For example, apparently there is an embarkation time, but most people embark hours earlier. I also read that Alaskan cruises are generally much more casual in dining dress, so I was just trying to find out if that was one of the rules that is bent a little as well.

I think the AquaSpa Cafe will be the most suitable for daytime and probably veggie sushi at night, so I am not really going to worry about the MDR too much. I can certainly understand that when you pay for a dining experience, you are paying for the ambiance, and that is fine. Thx again.

If I can make a suggestion, there is a great travel clothing website (travelsmith.com) that offers many options for lightweight clothing. Although I do not share your dilemna (?) of being tall (I'm 4'10", so I have the opposite problem), I'm trying to find ways to cut down on my packing. Travel Smith (you can go to their website and also request a brochure to be mailed to you) has great quality clothing and you can order a pair of black slacks that are wrinkle-free and fold up to practically nothing. Paired with a top, it would be completely appropriate to wear to dinner.

As Chessbriar suggested, you can also do the alternative dining in the evening, but I'm not sure how much of a vegan menu would be offered in that venue.

Good luck and try to have an open mind for your cruise and you might find you actually enjoy cruising!

Thanks, jgirl, I looked up Travel Smith and right on the front page of the men's section was a cool guy wearing what sure looked like jeans!

gateway_mens_04_30_01.jpg

I clicked on the link, and found they are:

The World’s First True Travel Jeans

With all due respect to cotton denim jeans, they’re too bulky and heavy for intelligent travel - especially in summer. So bring these CoolMax® jeans instead. Not only are they lighter and cooler, the just-right indigo shade holds true through umpteen washings

8302?$detail_main$

So -- are they cotton trousers that happen to look like jeans, but are not denim, or are they jeans that happen to be made of the same stuff as more acceptable trousers, and only differ in the color and stitching? What say the dress code police on these?

By the way, at $59, they rival most of my dress slacks...

:confused: I'm sorry, but my $100 pair of "jeans" are definitely more tailored then a pair of pull-on, elastic waist polyester "pants"! I think is more about the over-all, pulled together look of an outfit rather then the specific individual pieces, unless they have holes or look dirty.

This is what I found under dress code:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

As I understand it pants are what we call trousers here. If I were going out and said I was putting trousers on I wouldn't be talking about jeans. If I was talking about them I'd call them jeans. I'll continue to do what is asked rather than try to get away with it, out of courtesy for my host (Celebrity) and fellow passengers. Those who are determined to wear jeans will interpret things the way they want so as Ma Bell says, just do it anyway. Nothing here will change your mind.

The "pants" I wear are under my "trousers" and next to my skin. I always check my smalls for rips, holes or tears, just in case I end up in the back of an ambulance or something. I guess I've followed the dress code then.

Phil

Jeans were certainly worn throughout the Connie over the last two weeks but usually during the day. Contrary to what some posters say I did not see anyone in the MDR in jeans on any night although it would not have bothered me. I just think you might feel uncomfortable or out of place given that everyone else has "made the effort" to comply with the dress code. By the way, there WAS a sign stating "no jeans" outside the MDR. Really it boils down to what you are happy with. No-one is going to throw you out for wearing denim. Also remember that Cruise Critics make up 0.01% of those sailing on your ship. Not a very good sample! ;)

As I understand it pants are what we call trousers here. If I were going out and said I was putting trousers on I wouldn't be talking about jeans. If I was talking about them I'd call them jeans. I'll continue to do what is asked rather than try to get away with it, out of courtesy for my host (Celebrity) and fellow passengers. Those who are determined to wear jeans will interpret things the way they want so as Ma Bell says, just do it anyway. Nothing here will change your mind.

The "pants" I wear are under my "trousers" and next to my skin. I always check my smalls for rips, holes or tears, just in case I end up in the back of an ambulance or something. I guess I've followed the dress code then.

Phil

Spoken like a man who listened to his Mum. "Always wear clean undies...you never know when you'll be in an accident".

And Phil hit upon THE point. Your host, "Celebrity" has requested a specific dresscode for the evening. Out of respect, abide by it.

Spoken like a man who listened to his Mum. "Always wear clean undies...you never know when you'll be in an accident".

And Phil hit upon THE point. Your host, "Celebrity" has requested a specific dresscode for the evening. Out of respect, abide by it.

My Host?? The Host I'm paying $7,000 to? They're not my host, they're my service provider.

My Host?? The Host I'm paying $7,000 to? They're not my host, they're my service provider.

On top of which, my host now allows jeans(non-ripped, non-torn pants), in the dining room on all but formal nights.

Just for the sake of discussion...suppose you were invited to a "Destination Wedding". You would pay for your accomodations, and any meals other than the wedding itself. And on the invitation it stated "Black Tie". Would you ignore the dresscode request...just because you had to pay for accomodations yourself? Or respect the requested dresscode and dress accordingly? Just curious.

Archived