The week that was. Mariner 4/26 cruise.

Many have now disembarked from the Mariner of the Seas from last weeks cruise. It will be interesting to hear from some of the cruisers themselves as to how the week progressed, where they went, and how they enjoyed their trip. Were future cruise credits given to them?

How did Melissa (LA) handle the situation? Inquiring minds would like to know!!:)

Rick

We are actually sitting in the airport waiting to go home from the 4/26 Mariner cruise. There were a lot of disappointed people, but we made the best of the situation as this was our honeymoon. Fortunately we will be going another "honeymoon" in a couple of months so this experience gave me that to look forward to.

We were offered a OBC of 300 as we were in a suite and there were a few dollars of port charges refunded. The ship was actually able to go to Cabo which was nice. We went to SF for a whole day. It would have been nicer if the weather was not rainy and chilly. But again we made the best of it.

I just got off today as well. It really was not a bad crusie. Of course a few complained and it would have sucked if you were from San Francisco. This was my 14th with RCCL and 25th cruise from all ships. It's my third time ship had to change plans. 1-9/11 2-Hurricane hit Cozumel 3-Swine Flu.

I thought Ken the cruise director really kept the place calm. We were unable to go outside most of the cruise so thank god for the promenade. Quest was packed. It seemed everyone was enjoying all the events.

I thought it was very nice to give us the shipboard credit and two hours of free drinks. It was in no way their fault and it was a nice gesture. I saw more cleaning then usual near the eleveators and public restrooms.

Only issue I had on the whole cruise was deck 14 Edmintons being used as a comedy club. You were not allowed in the room when we were going under the Golden Gate Bridge. It was really cold and we did not bring clothes for cold weather. Edmintons (aka Viking Crown Room) has some of the best views and it was closed due to the testing of comedy for Oasis. Nothing was going on and we asked if we could watch and leave prior to the next comedy show. They said no and even turned away a guy in a wheelchair. The only people who were allowed in were people for tickets to the next show.

I just got off today as well. It really was not a bad crusie. Of course a few complained and it would have sucked if you were from San Francisco. This was my 14th with RCCL and 25th cruise from all ships. It's my third time ship had to change plans. 1-9/11 2-Hurricane hit Cozumel 3-Swine Flu.

I thought Ken the cruise director really kept the place calm. We were unable to go outside most of the cruise so thank god for the promenade. Quest was packed. It seemed everyone was enjoying all the events.

I thought it was very nice to give us the shipboard credit and two hours of free drinks. It was in no way their fault and it was a nice gesture. I saw more cleaning then usual near the eleveators and public restrooms.

Only issue I had on the whole cruise was deck 14 Edmintons being used as a comedy club. You were not allowed in the room when we were going under the Golden Gate Bridge. It was really cold and we did not bring clothes for cold weather. Edmintons (aka Viking Crown Room) has some of the best views and it was closed due to the testing of comedy for Oasis. Nothing was going on and we asked if we could watch and leave prior to the next comedy show. They said no and even turned away a guy in a wheelchair. The only people who were allowed in were people for tickets to the next show.

I would like to hear more about the two house of free drinks. :D

I read that your cruise was the last one for the comedy club experiment. I hope that holds true because I feel the same way as you about not being allowed into Ellington's in the evening.

I would like to hear more about the two house of free drinks. :D

It wasn't 2 hours of free drinks. It was from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm on Thursday and it was only bloody mary's, screwdrivers, or mimosa's.

So where exactly did Mariner port for this seven night cruise?

My daughter was on this cruise.

They did go to Cabo on 4/28 despite the Center for Disease Controls travel warning for no non-essential travel to Mexico issued on 4/27. Next port was San Francisco, where in my daughter's guesstimation 1/3 of the passengers left the cruise. San Francisco was thrilled to have the ships. Not so much the passengers. Every SF T.V. news station has videos interviewing the captain and/or passengers.

She and her boyfriend received $200 OB credit for their balcony stateroom.

When they called and asked for the same considerations revised itinerary passengers would be receiving, they were told well you did go to Mexico. Yeah, well if they were really so concerned for passenger safety they should not have allowed any one off the ship. Another ship did not let their cruisers go ashore. The captain who was interviewed on KTVU Channel 2 said RCL were concerned about their customers health. Well, the incubation period is two to seven days and hopefully no one will pay for their Cabo stop.

These kids saved for a year for this vacation. Come on, RCL, give them a bit of credit for a future cruise.

They did go to Cabo on 4/28 despite the Center for Disease Controls travel warning for no non-essential travel to Mexico issued on 4/27. Next port was San Francisco, where in my daughter's guesstimation 1/3 of the passengers left the cruise. San Francisco was thrilled to have the ships. Not so much the passengers. Every SF T.V. news station has videos interviewing the captain and/or passengers.

When they called and asked for the same considerations revised itinerary passengers would be receiving, they were told well you did go to Mexico. Yeah, well if they were really so concerned for passenger safety they should not have allowed any one off the ship. Another ship did not let their cruisers go ashore. The captain who was interviewed on KTVU Channel 2 said RCL were concerned about their customers health. Well, the incubation period is two to seven days and hopefully no one will pay for their Cabo stop.

These kids saved for a year for this vacation. Come on, RCL, give them a bit of credit for a future cruise.

No cases anywhere near Cabo, see map http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/GlobalSubnationalMaster_20090503_1207.jpg

Thanks Firefly, we did try and make the best of it but for those of us who cruise for the warm ports it was very disappointing.

None of us wanted to get sick either, but if there were no cases for hundreds of miles of those ports, then why not let us go there??? I'm sure it was because there will be reports of cases there just like many other places thats had cases pop up the past few days.

Also, they did port us in San Francisco who had reported cases before we even set sail that week.

I know it's not related to Marriner but...

Suposedly no cases in Cancun at the time but the 1st British cases were a honeymoon couple who had stayed there.

But there was NO cases in Cancun, my theory is that there was someone who came in from Mexico city on their plane or they came in contact with at the airport and the person moved on, as there is still NO cases in Cancun.

Hi Sue,

I suppose it affects us more than most of you in the U.S. . As we have to fly out there to either holiday at a resort or cruise we're breathing in all the infected recirculated air in the planes, while many of you can drive to the ports

Berwyn

I wonder if they will shorten the time that they'll be doing PNW cruises. They're already talking about how H1N1 isn't as severe as some flues -- maybe they jumped the gun a little committing to cruises through mid-June? There are reported cases in San Francisco and Vancouver. And now they have people booking for the PNW cruises for the low fares. Do you think they might switch it on those folks and go back to doing Mexican Riv earlier?

Honestly, I think that the virus could affect anyone, anywhere, regardless of whether you were on a plane or not. How about those that drive down to the port and happen to stay in a hotel with those people that were ON a plane (maybe with someone that had been exposed, unbeknownst to them), then ride in the same shuttle to the port the next morning?? We just don't know WHO has been exposed or not.

I know what you're saying, some people are at a higher risk than others, but we're ALL at risk. Some people that have been exposed haven't even left their towns - they've been exposed thanks to someone else that traveled. All we can do is just try and be more proactive with our hygiene for the benefit of ourselves and others.

1/3 did not get off. I saw maybe a total of 10. I did get a credit for my future cruise. $100 shipboard. I put a deposit down on my next vacation. :)

No, I do not believe they will switch back to Mexico any sooner. I was told by RCCL that they are committed and contracted with the NW ports until the June 14th sailing and then they will reevaluate the situation. So, we rebooked for August. Hopefully, they will be sailing to Mexico by then. :)

I wonder if they will shorten the time that they'll be doing PNW cruises. They're already talking about how H1N1 isn't as severe as some flues -- maybe they jumped the gun a little committing to cruises through mid-June? There are reported cases in San Francisco and Vancouver. And now they have people booking for the PNW cruises for the low fares. Do you think they might switch it on those folks and go back to doing Mexican Riv earlier?

Ellington's. :)

It's a shame that they couldn't figure out a way to let people in for the view, then have them leave in a timely fashion before the next show.

Just back from Mariner 'Alaskan' Riviera cruise...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and pissed!!! Just read what the next cruisers get in regards to OBC.... We were told onboard that RCCL was being generous in what we would be getting... some expected some kind of credit for a future cruise, but that never happened.. We got a measly $150 per cabin, and that was it! Yea, they had 'free' Bloody Mary's and Screwdrivers for an hour and a half, but big wow....

I'm happy for the next round of cruisers, but at least they are prepared. The first days we were told that there was nothing to worry about, then bam, no more Mex. after leaving Cabo.

Why am I upset? In regards of preparation, we spent a considerable amount of money in buying 'summer' clothing. We didn't take jackets, I didn't take jeans (only slacks, suits, shorts) and so on. So after leaving Cabo, the weather was DOWNHILL! Cold, foggy, and RAIN in San Francisco. Yes, they did sell sweat tops/jackets on the ship, for $99, oh, make that $49 after the 50% off! So the $150 OBC all went back to them anyways, plus a LOT MORE! Not being in port, the stores were open every day, there was NOTHING to do on the ship except drink, which means even MORE money for RCCL.

I think that RCCL could've done more for us. They made it sound like they did so much for us, they didn't. Those in my group were upset, I heard SO MANY people complaining. I know it's not RCCL fault, but it would've been nice to be informed BEFORE the cruise that we might not make it to Mex., and if we wanted to cancel, we could. Being told the first couple of days that everything was ok makes us even more pissssed off....

Anyhow.. I know that there's another post for our cruise, but oh well.... If you have any questions, ask away..

Oh, and yes, the food 'sucks' (in MDR).....

wow,princess gave us 50%discount on our next cruise,i think rci should of done the same:rolleyes:

That would've been nice.... seems fair to me... I'm actually on hold now, speaking to a post cruise person... Now told that they left...

Archived