The week that was. Mariner 4/26 cruise.

No cases reported in PV or Mazatlan, either, but somebody on our Roll Call for the 4/19 reported that her brother tested positive for swine flu after returning home.

I'll be interested to hear if any of the 4/26 pax came down with the crud that afflicted our group. I'm finally at 95% today after a week of congestion. Others have had sore throats, nasty coughs, plugged ears, etc. None of it was swine flu, though.:)

No cases reported in PV or Mazatlan, either, but somebody on our Roll Call for the 4/19 reported that her brother tested positive for swine flu after returning home.

I'll be interested to hear if any of the 4/26 pax came down with the crud that afflicted our group. I'm finally at 95% today after a week of congestion. Others have had sore throats, nasty coughs, plugged ears, etc. None of it was swine flu, though.:)

Same here Jean. Came home last Sunday from the Adventure. Had to go Friday to the doctor to get meds. Not sure if I picked it up on the ship or plane home from San Juan.

We are actually sitting in the airport waiting to go home from the 4/26 Mariner cruise. There were a lot of disappointed people, but we made the best of the situation as this was our honeymoon. Fortunately we will be going another "honeymoon" in a couple of months so this experience gave me that to look forward to.

We were offered a OBC of 300 as we were in a suite and there were a few dollars of port charges refunded. The ship was actually able to go to Cabo which was nice. We went to SF for a whole day. It would have been nicer if the weather was not rainy and chilly. But again we made the best of it.

Sorry to hear your Honeymoon ended up with a mess like this. DW's sis and hubby got caught in a hurricane the night they arrived to Hawaii 15 +/- years ago. Glad you made the best of the situation. Hope your next cruise goes better.

1/3 did not get off. I saw maybe a total of 10. I did get a credit for my future cruise. $100 shipboard. I put a deposit down on my next vacation. :)

There were alot more than 10 that got off in San Francisco. Our balcony looked over the gangway, and there were many streaming off with their suitcases...I don't know how many...but I do know that the number was significantly higher than 10

There were alot more than 10 that got off in San Francisco. Our balcony looked over the gangway, and there were many streaming off with their suitcases...I don't know how many...but I do know that the number was significantly higher than 10

I wonder how that was reconciled with the Passengers Service Act!?!??!?!?! :eek: :confused:

I wonder how that was reconciled with the Passengers Service Act!?!??!?!?! :eek: :confused:

they stopped in Cabo, so that should have covered it right?

Nope. That only works on a round trip. If it's one US city to another, it has to be a distant foreign port. Perhaps the passengers who disembarked will find an extra $300 per person penalty on their seapass accounts, perhaps RCI paid or perhaps it was waived.

There is quite a parade of ships going past my kitchen window right now! First the NCL Star left port in San Pedro and turned north instead of south. Mariner came out shortly after and cranked up the engines, passing the Star as if she were standing still. Now the Carnival Splendor is heading up out of Long Beach. I feel badly for anybody who doesn't actually want to be on any of those ships, but I'm having a ball watching the flotilla!:D

doesn't this is your link then cover Cabo and Mariner this week

With those definitions in mind, here's what's allowed:

A cruise which starts and ends in the same US port, visits a nearby or distant foreign port, and where no permanent disembarkation is permitted during the cruise at any US port (because there has been no transportation BETWEEN US ports (Huh?)

And didn't the Mariner do ROUND TRIP Los Angeles? did they disembark somewhere else? Way too busy last week to keep track.

Sue, that covers the passengers who stayed on the cruise until it got back to San Pedro. But getting off in San Francisco, another U.S. port, is a GIANT no-no.

That's exactly what the PSA forbids. "Transportation between two U.S. ports"

Nope. That only works on a round trip. If it's one US city to another, it has to be a distant foreign port. Perhaps the passengers who disembarked will find an extra $300 per person penalty on their seapass accounts, perhaps RCI paid or perhaps it was waived.

There is quite a parade of ships going past my kitchen window right now! First the NCL Star left port in San Pedro and turned north instead of south. Mariner came out shortly after and cranked up the engines, passing the Star as if she were standing still. Now the Carnival Splendor is heading up out of Long Beach. I feel badly for anybody who doesn't actually want to be on any of those ships, but I'm having a ball watching the flotilla!:D

Jean I am green with envy that you can see the ships from your kitchen window!!!!!!! :eek: :D :) :p

Sue, that covers the passengers who stayed on the cruise until it got back to San Pedro. But getting off in San Francisco, another U.S. port, is a GIANT no-no.

That's exactly what the PSA forbids. "Transportation between two U.S. ports"

This is why I am not a lawyer....LOL, now I realize why it doesn't work , it has been a REALLY LONNNNNGGGGGG WEEK!!!

In 1998 it would have been $200 p/p to disembark in San Francisco. It sounds like it's $300 p/p now. On our rerouted Carnival cruise from Ensenada to San Francisco....we watched security literally DRAG a couple back onboard with their luggage. Much screaming and yelling then ensued. We don't know what happened.

Carnival also has a vacation guarantee....about 300 couples did leave the ship in Ensenada. And they were bussed back to the cruise port. Sorry this is Off topic, but we do know a little bit about the PSA and rerouting cruises. You can't disembark in an another US port without paying the fine if your cruise is scheduled to return to it's original US departure point. Distant foreign point visit or not.

This is why I am not a lawyer....LOL, now I realize why it doesn't work , it has been a REALLY LONNNNNGGGGGG WEEK!!!

Sue, do you remember back in 2004, when we MISSED our New Year's Eve cruise on the Jewel, because of &%*$#^@$ USAir? (pardon my French! ;))

I became a friggin' EXPERT on the PSA/Jones Act when I tried unsuccessfully to get us to Key West to board the Jewel there instead.

Sue, do you remember back in 2004, when we MISSED our New Year's Eve cruise on the Jewel, because of &%*$#^@$ USAir? (pardon my French! ;))

I became a friggin' EXPERT on the PSA/Jones Act when I tried unsuccessfully to get us to Key West to board the Jewel there instead.

I do remember that, wow it is has been 5 years, so I will know who to ask when I have any questions on it. LOL

[quote name='Merion_Mom']Sue, do you remember back in 2004, when we MISSED our New Year's Eve cruise on the Jewel, because of &%*$#^@$ USAir? (pardon my French! ;))

I became a friggin' EXPERT on the PSA/Jones Act when I tried unsuccessfully to get us to Key West to board the Jewel there instead.[/QUOTE]

Well, yes...and you can't embark either. Sorry, I do recall your experience. :D

[quote name='WendyinOC']
Only issue I had on the whole cruise was deck 14 Edmintons being used as a comedy club. You were not allowed in the room when we were going under the Golden Gate Bridge. It was really cold and we did not bring clothes for cold weather. Edmintons (aka Viking Crown Room) has some of the best views and it was closed due to the testing of comedy for Oasis. Nothing was going on and we asked if we could watch and leave prior to the next comedy show. They said no and even turned away a guy in a wheelchair. The only people who were allowed in were people for tickets to the next show.[/QUOTE]

I was also upset to see that a gentleman in a wheelchair was turned away. His friend went down to the front desk and had no luck in having them changing the rules. He also informed me that this gentleman was unable to ride the tender in Cabo. Perhaps, they could not accommodate his wheelchair :(

[quote name='Pistol Packin Mama'][B]Just got off too, and they did try their best, we got 150obc for an OV, but it seems like with what they are giving for the next cruisers, some credit for another Mexican Riveria cruise would have been in order.[/B][/QUOTE]

We are not asking for anything more, just the same so we can re-book this cruise to the Rivera. Future cruise credit would be appreciated.

[quote name='IMCRABBY'][B][SIZE=3]So where exactly did Mariner port for this seven night cruise?[/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

Day 1: LA
Day 2: at Sea
Day 3: Cabo
Day 4: at Sea
Day 5: at Sea
Day 6: SF (pier 35)
Day 7: at Sea

[quote name='whirlybird3'] He also informed me that this gentleman was unable to ride the tender in Cabo. Perhaps, they could not accommodate his wheelchair :(

[/QUOTE]

I have never heard of such a thing.

I have seen passengers in various stages of mobility helped with great care and patience into and out of the tender boats.

[quote name='Diamond Cruisers in Arizona']Jean I am green with envy that you can see the ships from your kitchen window!!!!!!! :eek: :D :) :p

***[/QUOTE]

yes me too but then I d get no house work done I d be staring and dreaming of my next cruise

Sorry your guys cruise didn't go so well and you werent prepared for it. Do you remember how long it was between the time you docked in San Francisco and you were able to get off? I am just wondering if the itinerary says we arrive at 2pm, how fast we can get off there.

Thanks

[quote name='dickens56']I saw a gentleman get on the tender next to us. He had a wheelchair and they helped him. They put the chair next to the pilot of the boat.[/quote]

The new tenders in Cabo are set up for 2 wheelchairs by the pilot, and are able to stay in their chairs.

I'm sure that we have not heard the end of what happened on the Mariner 4/26 cruise, but I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread.

This cruise is truly what everyone does not want to hear about........let alone be a part of.

One thing that I still don't understand.........coming off of the cruise prior to this one......my DW has the upper respiratory cold again.........and it's like it's just hanging on the Mariner.

So many on our voyage complained of chest symptoms......coughing etc.

Hopefully when we get on........in just under 4 weeks.......the ship will once again be clean.

Rick

[quote name='Diamond Cruisers in Arizona']Jean I am green with envy that you can see the ships from your kitchen window!!!!!!! :eek: :D :) :p

***[/quote]

It was quite a sight to behold - normally they turn south and I just get a glimpse, but tonight was a real treat!

Hello Mariner Friends ~ we were sailing along side you this week on Carnival Splendor with a group of Cruise Critic hosts (we occasionally cruise together on different lines....my first host cruise was on Mariner about six years ago). I want you to know we "feel" your pain. However, I have to also tell you that you fared much better than we did.

You may have noticed that Splendor "stopped" in Cabo but we didn't disembark. We stayed long enough to get some paperwork taken care of and then immediately turned back north to head to San Francisco. I'm not sure if you noticed but you arrived in San Francisco long before we did (we arrived a little after 1:30 and didn't get to disembark until almost 3:00 due to a medical emergency).

We made a stop back in Long Beach to disembark more than 600 passengers who wanted to leave the ship. We did have a bit of a mutiny (I missed it but someone did get it on video) and people were still yelling at the Guest Relations desk on Wednesday morning. So we made a stop that cost us several hours and prevented us from getting into San Francisco early on Thursday.

Finally, those of us (2,600 of us) that stayed on board weren't offered anything other than one hour of drinks on Thursday afternoon when we already had a pre-planned cocktail party included in our cruise. No on board credit, no future cruise credit....nothing.

I just wanted to stop by and give you the perspective from those sailing along side of you. We managed to still have a lot of fun. Hope you managed to do the same!

Archived