All things "Victory"

richbum

Does it cost to eat in the Dining rooms? I am confused. This is our first cruise. When do you pay and when do you not for food and beverages. What beverages are complimentary? And where on the ship do you eat complimentary?

Have you checked out the FAQ section on Carnival.com? That will give you a lot of general info.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/FAQLanding.aspx

You should also read through the online brochures, which will provide even more info. Most things aren't ship or itinerary-specific. The Welcome Aboard brochure is especially useful to new cruisers.

Go to the bottom of Carnival's main page, under the Already Booked section to find the link to the e-brochures.

All food on Victory is included in your price other than the cakes. Alcoholic drinks and specialty coffee drinks are extra.

We're beach people. We like heading into the various towns to shop and site see for a few hours then heading out to the closest/best beach to the ship. With 6 stops on this itinerary which are the best beaches that are close to the ship that have food and drinks and chairs, etc.?

I'm leaning toward (but open for suggestions):

St. Thomas: Megans Bay

Dominicana: Mero Beach

Barbados: Accra (ringer) :D

St. Lucia: Choc Bay

Antigua: Darkwood Beach

St. Kitts: Cockleshell Beach

Your comments are very welcome! :)

OK, still looking for comments/confirmation on this. :)

Edited by Cigar Dude

Looks like some good choices Cigardude!

I liked Runaway/Dickenson's on Antigua!

I can vouch for Cockleshell, Choc Bay and Magen's Bay.

Thanks.

I'll put Accra Beach down as a slam dunk. :D

That leave Dominica and Antigua. Comments anyone????

Looking for nice beaches with food and drinks, chairs, etc.

For those of you that are still trying to figure out what private tours to do with the Carnival Victory intinerary—this should help.

I have spent hours reading the forums to come up with possible tours for our family for our upcoming cruise. I thought I would put together and share the information I have found. Since we have not been on any of these tours yet--it is hard to suggest what is good and what is not. We have to rely on the suggestions of others who have actually taken these tours and make a decision based on that. This synopsis is basically listing some of the things you can do on each island and CC recommended tour operators. Hopefully this will help you to decide what tour interests you. Every island will offer you something tropical including beaches, new sights and local food. Some tours will include food and others do not--but you can always buy your own lunch somewhere.

St. Thomas--if you want to see sights and relax on a beach, than an island tour in an open air vehicle with Sunny Liston, Airforce 1 Papa Bear, Godfrey, Spider man or Island Marketing will do. These tours are inexpensive and do not include food. Shopping opportunities are also available.

In Dominica, Antours and Levi Bumpiing Tours are well known and highly recommended tour operators. You can visit waterfalls, go hiking, river tube down the Layou River or visit a Carib Indian village here!

Barbados has alot of everything--from sightseeing and beach stops, ziplining, swimming with turtles or visiting Harrisons Cave. You can take a land tour with such operators as Cameron Reid, Scenic Barbados Tours, Glory Tours, Johnson Tours, or Coconut tours or explore the island on a jeep safari with Adventureland. If you want to go on the seas and swim with the turtles you can take an excursion on a catamaran like the Tiami or Silver Moon--both are very popular and lunch is provided.

St. Lucia offers beaches, breathtaking vistas, the Pitons and a chance to visit the world’s only drive-in volcano. An island tour with Spencer Ambrose, Serenity (although I found them to be more expensive than Carnival), Cosol, Fabian Tours, and Bernard from St. Lucia Taxi Man are some highly recommended tour operators. These tours include local food and drinks. A coastline island tour by catamaran is also available through Serenity.

In Antigua an island tour with Gordan or Lawrence from Antigua offers sightseeing tours that take you to such places as Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard with a stop at a nice beach. Local food and drinks are included in these tours. Gordan also offers tours that include ziplining, snorkeling, kayaking and Stingray City. On water a tour with Eli's Eco Adventure with an emphasis on ecology and history of the area and snorkeling is very popular. Or you could take an excursion on Eli’s new racing speed boat the Xtreme that takes you right around the entire island and includes a stop at Stingray City! Food is also included. Creole Cruises is another popular excursion that takes you around the Northern coast of Antigua and includes snorkeling stops. If you love lobster than you’ll love the lunch which is included in this tour! Tours by water are more expensive than the land tours.

St. Kitts offers sightseeing by land, catamaran or train. You can stop at a beach, hike through a rainforest, visit Brimstone Hill or even go Ziplining. Some recommended tour operators are Thenford Grey, Everton Delaney, Royston Tours and St. Kitts Tour Store.

I have not included all the tour operators but tried to mention some of the more popular and recommended tour operators from CC. When it comes right down to it you have to choose what interests you and go for it.

Hope this information helps you to plan your shore excursions!

Edited by dz63

Thanks.

Dominica doesn't have the best beaches.

Like I said earlier I like Runaway Bay on Antigua.

P5150034.jpg

We rode a Jetski for $50 per half hour. Ask for Dragon!

P5150051.jpg

They have a real nice beach bar called The Sandhaven beach bar.

P5150075.jpg

thanks so much for the info dz63! I think you've condensed all the suggestions I've seen. I too have spent countless hours on these forums trying to figure out what to do on our cruise. It's a tough balance between being over booked (and spending a small forture) and trying to see everything, and just kickin' it at a beach to relax. One thing left out was the Malibu Rum distillary and beach on Barbados. It's offered through Carnival although I've alse seen it as an on your own trip but can't remember how much the taxi ride from port was. Beach is supposed to be nice with chairs and umbrellas and is included with the tour cost, which I believe was $15 pp. Very much looking forward to this trip!

One more thing - does ANYONE know about the whale watching on Dominica in July? Are they even there in the summer? I know they're in Alaska this time of year on the west coast but haven't a clue about the Caribbean. I've asked but not seen an answer and haven't had any response back from Island Style Fishing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all!

thanks so much for the info dz63! I think you've condensed all the suggestions I've seen. I too have spent countless hours on these forums trying to figure out what to do on our cruise. It's a tough balance between being over booked (and spending a small forture) and trying to see everything, and just kickin' it at a beach to relax. One thing left out was the Malibu Rum distillary and beach on Barbados. It's offered through Carnival although I've alse seen it as an on your own trip but can't remember how much the taxi ride from port was. Beach is supposed to be nice with chairs and umbrellas and is included with the tour cost, which I believe was $15 pp. Very much looking forward to this trip!

One more thing - does ANYONE know about the whale watching on Dominica in July? Are they even there in the summer? I know they're in Alaska this time of year on the west coast but haven't a clue about the Caribbean. I've asked but not seen an answer and haven't had any response back from Island Style Fishing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Yes, thanks so much. I too have been trying to compile everyone's suggestions then make our choices based on fun and value.....

Didn't know there where whale watching options in Dominica!

Mama likes the looks of this place!

Where would I expect to find this delightful spot?

It's a bar right in the Bridgetown Port's cruise terminal

just after you get outside of the Duty Free shops inside the bldg.

Duty_Free_Barbados.jpg

I'm attaching three other shots I took that same afternoon.

Bar-601.jpg.daedaab107b9abe921e9703e5d693520.jpg

Bar-602.jpg.d01470ca477b72dd7e6b69d9df2794fc.jpg

Bar-603.jpg.ed0551153576ffbcd074c400b3c69c8d.jpg

Your notes are great. Pretty much lines up with my notes from what I read here and on trip advisor (not to mention several travel books on the southern carribean). I was so engrossed in reading travel book that I completely missed my train stop the other day....oops!

This is the first time that I am booking tours other than Carnival. Who knew?? I didn't until I stumbled onto these boards. What a wealth of information.

We do not go until December 13th, but looking at Rob's and aplmac's photos makes the wait seem better.

Thanks to all for writing in and sharing their photos and thoughts.

Joy <<<<< 171 days to go!

OK, still looking for comments/confirmation on this. :)

We just got off the Victory last month - had a great wedding on board and then 8 of us sailed off for our honeymoon, including 2 first timers, so we tried to plan things that all would enjoy.

St. Thomas, we did go to Megan's Bay - it is just as beautiful as ever. We went with Sunny Liston and picked Megan's Bay as our beach stop - Sunny was a great way to see the island!

Dominica - Levi Bumpiing is the only way to go! Loved Tito Gorge and the twin Falls. Our guide Gary was the best! It is a beautiful island, but you probably won't like it too much unless you are on a tour and get out and away from the port. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Barbados - Went with a 1/2 day Shasa catamaran. Beautiful water and fun snorkeling. Then, due to time constraints, we went to the Boatyard Beach - big mistake for us. Unless you are very young and like to party (we love to party, but this was just too crowded), this is not the place for you. Waaaaay too crowded, over priced, and very LOUD. Wished we had gone to Rockly.

St Lucia - The 2 of us did the Zipline with Serenity tours (was beautiful!) and then went to a local (can't remember the name of it!) beach. Was just beautiful and right next to Sandals. The other 6 DID go to Sandals for the day. They paid $100 p.p. and loved the resort. All food, drinks and activities were included. Nice option.

Antigua - At 11:00 we all went to Hawksbill Resort. For $40 p.p., all you can eat, drink and do. We lounged in the sun, ate, drank and smoked cigars! Was a perfect day and a very well kept resort with 4 beaches, plus the people were very nice. Have to take a taxi to get there, about $15 per couple each way - but well worth it!

St Kitts - We were pooped! Stayed in the port area. Was very clean, nice shopping. Had a few local beers and returned to the ship for some sun and relaxing before packing to leave in the morning.

San Juan - 2 nights post at the Condado Plaza - highly recommend it before heading home. Lovely resort, beautiful views.

Hope this helps!

PS - Pics attached of: Megan's Bay, Tito Gorge, Hawksbill Resort and San Juan - Condado.

2086758576_Wedding09061.jpg.bcf44d941f68b8d2fc4bcf9b2cb353b1.jpg

45887572_Wedding09099.jpg.31951656b2eed9093dc12d44368b845c.jpg

1651479760_Wedding09174.jpg.6a37837b5de37b290539a9f91dfd83df.jpg

1834910172_Wedding09279.jpg.125454aab2232d3d68c06632c99f8224.jpg

Which side of the ship is best for the views on approach and while in port for these islands? We sail next month and we are super excited! Thanks to all for sharing your ideas' date=' experiences, and photos!:D[/quote']

We had cabin #6459 and loved it (extra long balcony, aft), but we were on the wrong side of the ship. The even numbered cabins are the way to go on this trip. Fortunetly our friends had the cabin next to us #6461, an aft wrap, so we opened up our balcony divider and were able to enjoy the great aft views.

We had cabin #6459 and loved it (extra long balcony, aft), but we were on the wrong side of the ship. The even numbered cabins are the way to go on this trip. Fortunetly our friends had the cabin next to us #6461, an aft wrap, so we opened up our balcony divider and were able to enjoy the great aft views.

That's good to know! We'll be in an 8D Balcony cabin, #8324 this Sunday! I can't believe it's already here! We were in a balcony the last time we were on the Victory though it was #6232, so I've never been on the other side :) Gosh I'm excited!

Hey all...obviously you can tell I am a new poster and a new cruiser... Well I have not even sailed on my first cruise yet and I am already planning my second cruise. My 10 year wedding anniversary is next year and my hubby and I wanted to do something special. I live in Texas, so of course I was looking at the cruises out of Galveston and I was debating between the Bahama and the Jamiaca 7 day cruises.:confused: Well I love cruising through the reviews of cruises and reading about everybody's different experiences. I found Tiggerman's review of his cruise on the Victory and absolutely fell in love with the Itinerary. I convinced my husband and we are in the process of booking this fantastic cruise. So I just want to thank everybody for providing great details and pics and reviews for this cruise b/c it definitely made up my mind. Carnival should definitely hire ya'll to do the advertisements for them, because ya'll convinced me. Thanks Cruise Critics!!:D

Thanks.

Cigar Dude

If you're REALLY looking for a good beach on Dominica, i think you'll

be disappointed. Any info I read mentioned black sand and there

were not many recommendations for beaches. When we got off the

ship I asked one of the van drivers which beach he recommended.

He told us to tour the island and swim back on the ship. We did

just that and he drove by the beach for us......glad we didn't stop.:eek:

Loved Darkwood Beach on Antigua.:)

I think Victory was my favourite ship, and by far the most amazing itinerary.

St. Kitts - Scenic Rail tour booked through Carnival - really cool, definitely worthwhile for one time, and a nice relaxing tour to end a busy week

The ship is beautiful, in my opinion, and had a laid-back, easygoing feel .

We did the scenic rail tour also and it really was a nice, quiet relaxing

tour. It was nice to be able to see the whole island and the views

were fantastic. Our train was quite crowded and it took up until

almost the end of the tour to get our 2nd drink. The poor girls were

making them by hand with a blender!! They seem to be doing a lot

of running around. For the price, I don't think I'd do the tour again

though. Both times when the choir came to sing, it was difficult to

hear. 4 yr old gd enjoyed seeing the many children along the way.

For those of you that are still trying to figure out what private tours to do with the Carnival Victory intinerary—this should help.

I have spent hours reading the forums to come up with possible tours for our family for our upcoming cruise. I thought I would put together and share the information I have found. Since we have not been on any of these tours yet--it is hard to suggest what is good and what is not. We have to rely on the suggestions of others who have actually taken these tours and make a decision based on that. This synopsis is basically listing some of the things you can do on each island and CC recommended tour operators. Hopefully this will help you to decide what tour interests you. Every island will offer you something tropical including beaches, new sights and local food. Some tours will include food and others do not--but you can always buy your own lunch somewhere.

St. Thomas--if you want to see sights and relax on a beach, than an island tour in an open air vehicle with Sunny Liston, Airforce 1 Papa Bear, Godfrey, Spider man or Island Marketing will do. These tours are inexpensive and do not include food. Shopping opportunities are also available.

In Dominica, Antours and Levi Bumpiing Tours are well known and highly recommended tour operators. You can visit waterfalls, go hiking, river tube down the Layou River or visit a Carib Indian village here!

Barbados has alot of everything--from sightseeing and beach stops, ziplining, swimming with turtles or visiting Harrisons Cave. You can take a land tour with such operators as Cameron Reid, Scenic Barbados Tours, Glory Tours, Johnson Tours, or Coconut tours or explore the island on a jeep safari with Adventureland. If you want to go on the seas and swim with the turtles you can take an excursion on a catamaran like the Tiami or Silver Moon--both are very popular and lunch is provided.

St. Lucia offers beaches, breathtaking vistas, the Pitons and a chance to visit the world’s only drive-in volcano. An island tour with Spencer Ambrose, Serenity (although I found them to be more expensive than Carnival), Cosol, Fabian Tours, and Bernard from St. Lucia Taxi Man are some highly recommended tour operators. These tours include local food and drinks. A coastline island tour by catamaran is also available through Serenity.

In Antigua an island tour with Gordan or Lawrence from Antigua offers sightseeing tours that take you to such places as Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard with a stop at a nice beach. Local food and drinks are included in these tours. Gordan also offers tours that include ziplining, snorkeling, kayaking and Stingray City. On water a tour with Eli's Eco Adventure with an emphasis on ecology and history of the area and snorkeling is very popular. Or you could take an excursion on Eli’s new racing speed boat the Xtreme that takes you right around the entire island and includes a stop at Stingray City! Food is also included. Creole Cruises is another popular excursion that takes you around the Northern coast of Antigua and includes snorkeling stops. If you love lobster than you’ll love the lunch which is included in this tour! Tours by water are more expensive than the land tours.

St. Kitts offers sightseeing by land, catamaran or train. You can stop at a beach, hike through a rainforest, visit Brimstone Hill or even go Ziplining. Some recommended tour operators are Thenford Grey, Everton Delaney, Royston Tours and St. Kitts Tour Store.

I have not included all the tour operators but tried to mention some of the more popular and recommended tour operators from CC. When it comes right down to it you have to choose what interests you and go for it.

Hope this information helps you to plan your shore excursions!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this information!!! This is such a big help!

What a wonderful amount of information everyone is giving. This thread has really helped us decide on this ship. We just booked our first Carnival cruise today on the Victory for May 30, 2010. We've sailed before, mostly on Princess (2 Europe 12 day cruises, 1 Eastern Caribbean 7 day cruise and 1 New Zealand/Australia 12 day cruise) and 1 Celebrity Europe again for 14 days... It will be me, my husband (we're celebrating our 30th) and our son 17. All the pictures and tour information is a huge help for planning. I can't wait to hear more and thanks to everyone!!!

Edited by ciera123

Ciera123,

We did this same itinerary for our 30th! It is a wonderful way to spend time with your hunny. And I am from KC, but have been gone since I got married! Mom is still in the area though, so I travel up there alot.