Is there an indoor pool/solarium on the mariner of the seas?

I LOVE the open Solarium! On Radiance class there is an "enclosed" adult-only pool, but because of the roof, you can't tan.

I have to ask. Does anyone have any scientific evidence that the glass roof on the Solaria on Radiance and Vision ships does much, if anything, to block the UV rays that cause sunburn and tanning or is this just another unfounded myth that some people seem to delight in spreading?:confused:

I have to ask. Does anyone have any scientific evidence that the glass roof on the Solaria on Radiance and Vision ships does much, if anything, to block the UV rays that cause sunburn and tanning or is this just another unfounded myth that some people seem to delight in spreading?:confused:

It's definitely a myth, as I've gotten sunburned a couple of times while in there. I don't think the rays are quite as strong, but they definitely come through the glass roof.

It's definitely a myth, as I've gotten sunburned a couple of times while in there. I don't think the rays are quite as strong, but they definitely come through the glass roof.

My thought and experience exactly. :) I wish that the poster in question would read this and reconsider her policy of continually claiming otherwise. :rolleyes: There can be quite legitimate reasons for not liking the fact that the solarium roof is frequently kept closed, but the tanning issue is not one of them.

On my Brillance Med cruise in March, I was quite glad they kept the roof closed. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten any pool time. However I think I recall our tablemates said they did open the roof on one of our port days.

My thought and experience exactly. :) I wish that the poster in question would read this and reconsider her policy of continually claiming otherwise. :rolleyes: There can be quite legitimate reasons for not liking the fact that the solarium roof is frequently kept closed, but the tanning issue is not one of them.

I agree. A slight green tint to the glass does not stop UV rays from going through.

Heck, here in South Florida, black tinted sunroofs are even discouraged by doctors due to the threat of skin cancer on the head.

There is no way a movable glass dome can ever be installed on large tall ships such as the Voyagers / Freedoms. The ship would be too top heavy and in case of rough water which bounces the ship around, the ship could become unstable and start to dangerously tilt (think Crown Princess). Pendulum action and all that. And once the ship becomes unstable the heavy water in the pools would magnify the problems.

That being said, the main reason for the domes is to provide a usuable pool in cool and cold weather. In really hot weather they tend to keep the dome closed, to keep the a/c in.

In 2005 we were on the newly-stretched Enchantment, coming back from Canada to Boston in early September and running with the breezes with the dome open. The Captain kept his heading as long as possible and then had to turn the ship to arrow towards Boston, and cut across the wind path. It became very unpleasant in the Solarium until a crew member came up and closed the dome.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be sailing the Serenade of the seas (Radiance Class) for a southern caribbean cruise. Do they leave the roof open when you are in a warm climate like this or should I expect it to be closed? I was hoping for the adult pool to be outside?

Thanks!

I will be sailing the Serenade of the seas (Radiance Class) for a southern caribbean cruise. Do they leave the roof open when you are in a warm climate like this or should I expect it to be closed? I was hoping for the adult pool to be outside?

Thanks!

Can't speak for the Serenade, but on the Enchantment last week the roof was open during the day and closed in the evenings.

Thanks!

When I sailed on Serenade, they did not open the roof. I personally prefer it that way.

Archived