HAL & Celebrity Boards ... Very different playgrounds

HeatherInFlorida

Heather -

I post on both boards from time to time, as well as the Seabourn and Radisson boards.

I used to be a very frequent Celebrity pax and poster. It seems that for the last few months, that board has been "hijacked" by a few mean-spirited folks. If anyone posts an opinion about Celebrity that is not 100% positive, those few nasty little people rip the poster to shreds. I speak from experience as it happened to me after I posted some very negative comments on a Zenith sailing I did last Dec.

On the other side of the coin, there are some lovely people who post regularly on the Celebrity board. They are always willing to answer questions or make suggestions if asked.

I am actually on your rollcall for the Summit transcanal. When the rest of our "October cruise bunch" start posting, we will have a very lively, friendly, rollcall thread.

Claudia

I've always found the Roll Calls on both HAL and Celebrity to be non-discriminatory ... meaning that the they are always welcoming, friendly and fun.I was really talking more about the main Celebrity boards. So far, and this could change, the only "friendly" person is Lois who we "met" here on the HAL boards.

There's definitely a difference, because even when I was a "newbie" on these boards, it didn't take more than a couple of posts before I felt part of the group.

Often it's just timing. Claudia feels there's a difference over there right now so we shall see. I really appreciate all your thoughts. It's just more of the support I've always felt here.

I've always found the Roll Calls on both HAL and Celebrity to be non-discriminatory ... meaning that the they are always welcoming, friendly and fun.I was really talking more about the main Celebrity boards. So far, and this could change, the only "friendly" person is Lois who we "met" here on the HAL boards.

There's definitely a difference, because even when I was a "newbie" on these boards, it didn't take more than a couple of posts before I felt part of the group.

Often it's just timing. Claudia feels there's a difference over there right now so we shall see. I really appreciate all your thoughts. It's just more of the support I've always felt here.

Hey Heather!

Well, there is a mix of folks that post on Celebrity just like here on the HAL boards. Nice folks, mean folks, folks that want to do nothing but praise their favorite line, folks that want to do nothing but criticize their most hated line. I have noticed, however, that there does seem to be a bit more 'harrumphing' over really non-sensical things on the Celeb board, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Most HAL folks are brand loyalists and have been HAL cruisers for a good long period of time. Most are friendly and sociable and are the type that you would invite over for a cup o' joe. Most (but not all) Celeb posters tend to be a bit more on the 'upper crust' side and are the type that you would go to Museum of Modern art with and keep your distance from (Just my humble opinion!). This being said, however, they are mostly reasonable folks that can be very helpful.

My worst 'flaming' experiences over the past four years on this forum have been on the Princess boards. Princess brand loyalists refuse to admit that their cruiseline has turned mass-market (they are the quintessential mass-market line - PC dining, 6 dining rooms, thousands upon thousands of passengers, MUTS, etc. etc.) and take personally any criticism of *their* line. The result? Food and service levels on Princess have dropped to such a low that one really has to compare them to Carnival and RCI as far as quality goes. They have even taken a crowded ship (The Grand/Golden/Star Princess) and *added* a deck of cabins and 500 more passengers to the Caribbean Princess (and soon to be Crown Princess). And yet, the loyalists will defend Princess till the end...

Just my opinion...

Uncialman, I know such people who are devout Princess cruisers. They have even cruised other lines and said "never again" and I KNOW they're complaints are groundless. To compare the Princess food with Celebrity food and say that Princess is better just rankles me. Oh, well.

But I have to tell you I just don't read the Celebrity board people the way you do. I'd almost say it's the other way around. The people I've come across there are somewhat crass and obnoxious, but that could be a misread on my part. It could just be the timing. I haven't exactly asked a question yet, so we shall see what happens when I do:o .

Heather

Don't you dare dessert us *LOL*

I haven't been around too much either lately, I just moved recently and have been getting hit with a lot of OT lately THANK GOD *LOL*

And on top of that there is good old christmas shopping and preparations. But this is a nice family here and just because you are going on another cruise line does not mean you cannot come here.

I have never been on a HAL cruise , although That all may change with the Statendam cruise to Hawaii we are planning. But I have always felt very welcome here.

So they don't want to talk to you over at Celebrity, their loss is our gain :)

Have a great day

Uncialman, I know such people who are devout Princess cruisers. They have even cruised other lines and said "never again" and I KNOW they're complaints are groundless. To compare the Princess food with Celebrity food and say that Princess is better just rankles me. Oh, well.

But I have to tell you I just don't read the Celebrity board people the way you do. I'd almost say it's the other way around. The people I've come across there are somewhat crass and obnoxious, but that could be a misread on my part. It could just be the timing. I haven't exactly asked a question yet, so we shall see what happens when I do:o .

Yes on both of your observations...

Princess folks need to admit that Denny's has a leg up on them as far as food quality goes (the same goes for RCI with my last 3 experiences with them! I mean, please tell the chef he can use sugar in the desserts!). Not to mention PC dining has made the service levels, in most but not all cases, abysmal.

I have met some really nice folks on the Celebrity board. However, like I had said, there are some folks who a 'social engagement' would be walking around by themselves in a Modern Art museum: in other words, they are rather cold, indifferent and unfriendly to others (example: cell phone thread). I think the thing to realize is that a lot of these folks would be more comfortable on Crystal or Radisson but enjoy the itineraries and flexibility of Celebrity. Most would HATE having to make small talk to their cabin steward or dining room attendant and just want good service - much different from your average HAL cruiser. This being said, however, I have found great and personal service (although white-gloved) on every Celebrity cruise that I have been on.

Just my Opinion...

Vicar ... how we've missed you! Thanks for what you said ... you're the best.

Uncialman, LOL!!! Denny's has a leg up on Princess! I love it:D .

Truth be known, what draws me to HAL is the same thing that draws me to these boards ... the people. The friends I have met on my HAL cruises are still friends. While I met some perfectly nice folks on Celebrity, we've lost touch. To me, that is the huge difference.

I can't explain it beyond that, but it's interesting that it would be true on these boards and on the ships themselves. I will say that we've already got a good group on our Oct. 2005 Summit Roll Call and considering the amount of time between now and then, hopefully it will be different.

Heather,

I have missed everyone here too.

I sgree with Unicalmans statement about some people, it may not be that they are ude or unfriendly just either painfuly shy or not overly gregarious.

I am the total opposite, i can have a conversation with an empty chair *LOL* I think its an Italian thing *LOL*

Fiance wonders how I was never kidnapped as a child because i will talk to anyone *LOL*

But that is me, and sometimes I meet a like soul and we can talk for hours, sometimes you meet a person like unicalman describes and a conversation is like pulling teeth. I take people as they come and enjoy the ones I can have fun with , ignore the ones I can't stand, and tolerate the ones I have to*LOL*

Hi Heather:) just popping in after reading this thread...

For those who feel like this is a family....for those of you who post regularly on here of course it is:) ...that is what these different forums are all about...gathering information, meeting people, having fun...etc.

There are those of you who were kind to me....and Heather, thank you for those very complimentary words.....

But I never truely felt like I was part of the "HAL Family".

Probably for the same reasons.....I was very used to my friends on Celebrity...and I think we are civilizied. I always try to help, welcome and give people a smile. And I feel like I am in a "comfort zone"...just as you feel like you are in one here.

It is very hard to post on a new board when you are used to the "old".....

Change is always difficult...and we like our "comfort zones"...that is very normal, (in my opinion).

I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Summit....if I can help with anything, please ask...though I have not sailed her (yet).

Most HAL folks are brand loyalists and have been HAL cruisers for a good long period of time. Most are friendly and sociable and are the type that you would invite over for a cup o' joe. Most (but not all) Celeb posters tend to be a bit more on the 'uppper crust' side and are the type that you would go to Museum of Modern art with and keep your distance from (Just my humble opinion!). This being said, however, they are mostly reasonable folks that can be very helpful.

Just my opinion...

Geez.......Now I sure feel insulted. Like none of us go to the Museum of Modern Art or Fine Arts or the Ballet??!!! ;) You make us sound like an uncultured crowd of boars!!! :D

Geez.......Now I sure feel insulted. Like none of us go to the Museum of Modern Art or Fine Arts or the Ballet??!!! ;) You make us sound like an uncultured crowd of boars!!! :D

Now, now. :D

I'm sure you know what I mean - I love art (although I have a preference to the Nat'l Gallery of Art in Washington or the Ringling here in Sarasota) and all, but you spend half of your time with a lot of modern art trying to figure out what in world the artist was thinking before you can come to a conclusion on the peice itself. I prefer Thomas Cole over Jasper Johns or Chuck Close.

What I meant to say is that a lot of the Celebrity folks that I run into aren't much into socializing a whole lot and are more into contemplation (many times about what their wants and needs are) as opposed to HAL folks. But, it is probably unfair to generalize like this as I like my quiet time as well.

S7S

i have been to the ballet ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *LOL*

Years ago I was dating a girl who's family had a yearly tradition of going to see the Nutcracker at Christmas time. So we went:(

I guess I am a boar *LOL*

Heather its like when you move to a new neighborhood. Takes a while until you feel confortable. Perhaps the locals are trying to size you up.

I'm off to the Veendam in the morning. This evening its off to the opera to see Aida. Does that make me a HAL/Celebrity hybrid?

Will miss the boards for the next week or so. Maybe when I come back i'll try Celebrity but under an assumed name.

:cool:

RuthC. I was in Saugerties (sp.) last weekend and visited the local candy factory. Not as good as Godiva but much cheaper. Check the web site http://www.krauses.chocolates.com

:cool:

[b]Lipoppop....[/b]

[b]Hope you have a wonderful time. Wishing you Blue Skies and Calm Seas.[/b]

[b][size=4][color=red]Bon Voyage!!!![/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=4][color=black][/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=4][/size][/b]
[b][size=4]Be sure to come back and tell us all about it.[/size][/b]
[b][size=4][/size][/b]

Have reviewed your Celebrity postings including the threads you started. Nowhere, absolutely nowhere, did I see any flaming of your comments, saw many thoughful replies to your questions. Each and every one was civiil. No "smart alec" repiles.

Show me an example where any Celebrity poster responded to any of your threads in any derogatory way.

[quote name='sail7seas'][size=3][color=green][b]Geez.......Now I sure feel insulted. Like none of us go to the Museum of Modern Art or Fine Arts or the Ballet??!!! ;) You make us sound like an uncultured crowd of boars!!! :D [/b][/color][/size]

[/QUOTE][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red]Oh, Sail, LOL!!!:D Do you know I specifically thought of you when Uncialman wrote that? You may have noticed that I said I felt it was the opposite from his perception.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red]Lois! Hi there! What are you doing way over here on HAL? I have to ask you, don't you remember the hurricanes? How wonderful everyone was worrying about us? It got me through a horribly difficult time and I can tell you I'll never forget it. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red]But I also understand what you're saying about comfort. Everyone over on Celebrity clearly feels they know you and they adore you. I could see that from the "Who would you like to cruise with..." thread. But you can't have missed that you were the only one who responded to my post and it was inviting answers.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red]Anyway ... vanilla and chocolate I suppose. I did feel better to see that many here share my feelings.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='JDee']Have reviewed your Celebrity postings including the threads you started. Nowhere, absolutely nowhere, did I see any flaming of your comments, saw many thoughful replies to your questions. Each and every one was civiil. No "smart alec" repiles.

Show me an example where any Celebrity poster responded to any of your threads in any derogatory way.[/QUOTE]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=red]I never said they flamed me and I never said they were "smart alec". I said I was ignored. I can't imagine what threads you're talking about. I only started one about Ellen giving away cruises and you're right ... people did post on that, but not to me. [/color][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=red][/color][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=red]Beyond that the only time anyone has ever answered me is on the Roll Call and I already clearly said that was a whole other ball game.[/color][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=red][/color][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=red]I can't imagine you took the time to do research on this:o . The fact is that I was specifically referring to a post I made on the "Who would you like to cruise with" thread. If someone wrote what I wrote on the HAL threads, the people here would make them feel welcome. Only Lois replied to my post and call me shy, but when I am totally ignored, I go away.[/color][/font]

Heather,

I know that I appear to be Mr Crazy Goofy guy on here sometimes, but in reality I am very shy when I first meet people, once I get to know them and "feel them out" so to speak I get in my comfort zone.

With my family and my close friends, the people who know me like a book and still love me *LOL* its like a Friars roast *LOL*, but I am very reserved when i am around new people, friendly but reserved.

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red]Vicar, maybe it's a "Connecticut" thing ....:o [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red]JDee, driving over to Target just now I got to thinking about your post and I felt I should add that my observations about the Celebrity threads were not arrived at solely by the lack of response to my post. I've been reading the Celebrity Boards for awhile and it's a sense that runs through the board. It's the manner in which many are "speaking". I hope you understand I don't mean everyone there! Of course there are dozens of really nice people, but there is a group that posts all the time.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red]Last year when I was planning my Celebrity cruise, the same people were posting. I saw really nasty threads about "newbies". There were threads started that had nothing to do with cruising but rather were pointing out threads on other boards that people should go to and disrupt because it was a bunch of "newbies" who didn't know what they were talking about. These posters are still very alive on the Celebrity boards.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=red]Trust me when I say I didn't blindly make these comments. I certainly didn't think it was appropriate to site specific posts and I won't do it now.[/color][/size][/font]

Heather. You should be whipped and put into chains for sailing on X....but if you do, be sure to keep up posted before, during and after. Heck, I'd like to know more about Celebrity so "post away". I've been yacking about a Carnival Conquest cruise coming in January.

[quote name='DFD1']Heather. You should be whipped and put into chains for sailing on X....but if you do, be sure to keep up posted before, during and after. Heck, I'd like to know more about Celebrity so "post away". I've been yacking about a [color=red]Carnival Conquest[/color] cruise coming in January.[/QUOTE]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=navy]Wash your mouth out with soap!!!!!!:D Talk about whips and chains!;) [/color][/size][/font]

We have posted on and sailed on both. Found a great group on or Rotterdam in04 & we have a great group for our Feb. 05 11 nite. on the Summit. We are very pleased with X at this time you'll love it.

hope you find a good group for your cruise,you never know we may show up!

Archived