Kusadasi... what are the musts

I keep on reading threads and websites about Kusadesi and I need help choosing which sites to see...

Of course, we want to see Ephesus and the Terrace houses, but there's also the Temple of Artemis, Virgin Mary's House, St John Basilica... are these 3 sites all worth the visit? Which one would be most interesting?

I'm traveling with my Mom - she's in fair shape but can't walk for hours and hours. We want to see all there is to see in Ephesus, but I'm wondering what else we should not miss!

Thanks in advance for your comments!

MC

As usual, a lot depends on your interests. Certainly Ancient Ephesus and the Terrace Houses are a must and seeing them as early in the day as possible is best due to the heat there. (We were there last September.)

We are huge history/archaeology people, so our next priority was the Archaelogical Museum in Selcuk with the Ephesus artifacts, followed by St. John's Basilica (very near the Museum), and then a brief stop at the Temple of Artemis. With one pillar only remaining, 10 minutes there is plenty.

We are not Christian, so had no interest in visiting the Virgin Mary's house.

Perhaps you might get a guidebook on Turkey out from your local library, read the few pages there on the area, and then decide what interests you the most. That is how we designed our private six-hour tour there with EKOL travels.

The Temple of Artemis is unfortunately not much to look at, only one piller left. The Baisilica is Ok but nothing at all like Ephesus. The House of the Virgin Mary is a good site.

I would judge it on how much you think your mother can handle. Ephesus is a MUST SEE but it is a lot of uneven walking and it is very hot. Maybe rather than trying to do everything, take a late lunch break and then just have fun poking around the bazaar in Kusadasi before the short walk back to the ship.

As you said, Ephesus and the Terrace Houses are the real must-see. Anything else is just "gravy" and if you are trying to make it an easier day, you could skip the other sites. While I'm happy that I saw them, I wouldn't rate them anything near the experience of seeing Ephesus.

I agree with cruisemom42. Ephesus and the temple would be #1 on the list. All else is gravy. so pick out a tour that has the Ephesus and whatever else. My wife and I were there in 07 with Royal Caribbean. We took the Ephesus tour and than came back to the city and shopped. We thought that was good enough for us.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback - that's what I was looking for.

As I said earlier, my Mom can walk but she's still 80...

We get into port at 11 am - so we will be there in the afternoon but in November. So I'm hoping it won't be too too hot!

So we can see Ephesus and take our time there, see the terrace house, and simply get back into Kusadasi, have dinner in a restaurant and browse near the pier... we don't leave until 11 pm!!

Sounds like a good plan - thanks for your help!!

MC

Archived