Prescriptions in bottles

mjdgarth

Do we really need to keep the prescriptions in their original bottles? We have never had a problem with security before. We always put them in the 7 day / night container when we travel. Our TA is not returning phone calls at the moment, so I thought I would ask the experts !!

Do we really need to keep the prescriptions in their original bottles? We have never had a problem with security before. We always put them in the 7 day / night container when we travel. Our TA is not returning phone calls at the moment, so I thought I would ask the experts !!

I didn't on our last cruise, neither did my Mom. Neither of us had any problems.

We've always kept our prescription meds in the bottles they come in. If you're going on a short vacation, just bring what you'll need.

You never know when a situation might arise when this may be important...especially when traveling overseas.

Lew

I went to my pharmacy and ask for smaller bottle and explained why. They gave me smaller bottles and labeled them for me.

It was easy and painless.

Ask your pharmacist if he/she will do that. It makes it a lot easier going through the airport.

The only airport I had my bottles examined was in San Juan, leaving out.

The below is a copy and paste from a thread back in March.

I just returned from a land vacation to Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria.

I flew out of SFO, I carry ALL meds in prescription bottles.

I'm in the pain clinic for stage 4 endometriosis. I carry narcotics and OTC meds.

In SFO because of my meds IN PRESCRIPTION BOTTLES no less I was pulled aside, taken to another room and thoroughly searched and patted down spread eagle. Eveything is taken out of my carry on and systematically searched. I have a letter from my doctor explaining my diagnosis and treatment. THAT is the only thing that is my ticket to be dismissed. This has happened countless times domestically and internationally. ONLY in the USA is a woman provided for this search.

In the last 5 years it has become worse. I advise my friends, family and anyone who will listen not to and/or STOP taking chances when traveling with meds.

Any underpaid TSA agent does not have the time or inclination to determine in a speedy manner if you have a bottle of unmarked vicodin or vitamins.

PLEASE read the copied thread below from an earlier post

I did on this board under Ask a cruise question,

PLEASE click on the CruiseCritic links I have provided.

K.

We have had some very extensive threads on this very subject over the years

What happens is fantastic information is given

but people that participated in those threads dont have the time to

re write EVERYTHING again..

and the information that was provide will help answer your questions

I will provide these links to you

and I IMPLORE YOU to read them and read the entire thread as very important discussions

take place toward the end.

I carry extensive meds throughout my travels on land and sea..

I have been pulled aside domestically and internationally and thoroughly searched spread eagle. I have been asked for documentation

by a licensed doctor for my medicine.

There are MANY MANY MANY reasons not to carry your meds in just a pill box

we covered all of those in the links below.

If you have any further questions after you read them, let me know

and I would be happy to answer them.

This is not a topic that anyone should be dismissive on.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=897177&highlight=

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=917721&highlight=

I assume you are flying. If so, to get thru security, it may be easier if the drugs are in the original perscription bottles. Most times no one care.

If you are not flying, it does not matter.

Depends on what you are taking. Most time it should not matter. Just in case it is a controlled substance, take a copy of the prescription or take the med in original bottle.

Since we take very long cruises, pill boxes are not large enough for the multitude of vitamins we both take. I use little plastic envelopes and make two for each day; morning vitamins and evening vitamins. Any prescription meds or antibiotics are carried in their original bottles. We sort of carry a small "hospital" and pharmacy with us everywhere. Be prepared says my husband, a formal boy scout. :)

DH prefers to take his prescription medication in its original bottle. I don't like the bulk so I used to take mine in a pill pouch. More compact that way. Never had a problem but would be prepared to answer questions just in case. Or, you can take them in the original bottle and once you get to your room, then put them in a pouch and dump the bottle. I've done that too. I do know of people who like to take the original bottle because in case something happens to them, the paramedic or doctor can look at the actual bottle and see what was printed on it.

The best policy is to keep your prescription and non-prescription meds in their original containers. All it takes is a customs agent or other official to start questioning those pills. If the med is in its original container, it makes it a lot easier to explain what it is. Unidentified pills in a generic container are illegal drugs until tested in a lab. Taking along your prescriptions is good though since you can hopefully go to a local pharmacy to get a new med after the customs official takes your non-labeled pills that look like an illegal narcotic! Hopefully of course the government official did not arrest you for drug running.

I always carry any meds in their original container when leaving the USA. I have had them examined but never had a problem. The US government is pushing other countries to join in the war on drugs. They are only happy to comply in some cases so be careful.

If you are flying in US-TSA website states

Non-liquid or gel medications of all kinds such as solid pills, or inhalers are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to assist with the screening process

That said, you could run into an idiot with a little authority.

If you are entering another country, it is important to carry them in their original bottles.....aircraft security is one thing, another country's customs and immigration is another matter.

This is key. TSA should not be your primary concern.

Assume that customs and immigration of ANY country may be a big problem for you if prescription meds or even over the counter meds, are not in their original containers. Don't cut corners just because nothing has happened to you yet, or because they are too bulky. Some countries, such as Dubai, Singapore, China, are notoriously strict.

Carry everything in the original containers and pack in a large clear gallon plastic bag for easy inspection. Place on top of everything else in your carry-on. This practice makes it clear to authorities that you are aware of the laws and are consciously complying.

With the increase in cruises going to destinations in the Middle East - Dubai etc, please be aware that there are certain fairly common painkilling drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, that are totally banned in these countries. That includes those that you carry or those that may be in your system as you travel.

For instance, Codeine is banned in Dubai and this is in a lot of fairly common painkilling drugs in the UK. There was a case recently of a woman who was searched, then given a urine test, this showed codeine in her system and she was immediately taken into custody.

There is a fairly extensive list - over 50 pages last time I looked - of banned drugs for Dubai and some are extremely common. If you are travelling to any destination please make some online investigations regarding banned drugs.

Ensure, as mentioned in other posts, that you always carry a copy of your prescriptions with you as well.

Karen

ALWAYS take your meds in RX bottles and to even be on the safe side, bring along a written prescription. Also, never just bring as many meds as you need, what if, for some reason, your flight is lost, luggage lost, you are delayed for some reason? We went to China last year and a friend of ours had an epi pen. It was labeled and she had a written RX for it,she and her husband were put in a special room, searched, the only way they got through was our local guide came in and started talking to the agents. Always error on the safe side.

Despite the "horror stories" above, many of us cruisers do as you do and transfer meds into the 7 day dispensers, and have never had any problems. However, I do think international travel would call for taking meds in their original pharmacy-labeled bottles.

When traveling within the US, I do use my 7-day box, but as a precaution, I peel the current labels off the prescription bottles and stick them on the bottom of the box. My reason for this is that, should I get delayed from getting home at the planned-for time, and I have to get more meds, I have the correct information about name, dosage, frequency and prescribing physician. I always pack enough meds for 3 extra days, just in case, but a longer delay conceivably could occur.

Sorry, but the simple answer is keep all the pills is their original bottles and labels must be legible. This is regulated by U.S. customs and every state has their own laws. California is as described above.

Now then, IF your prescriptions are found in anything other than the original bottle will anything be done-most likely no.

With the increase in cruises going to destinations in the Middle East - Dubai etc, please be aware that there are certain fairly common painkilling drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, that are totally banned in these countries. That includes those that you carry or those that may be in your system as you travel.

For instance, Codeine is banned in Dubai and this is in a lot of fairly common painkilling drugs in the UK. There was a case recently of a woman who was searched, then given a urine test, this showed codeine in her system and she was immediately taken into custody.

There is a fairly extensive list - over 50 pages last time I looked - of banned drugs for Dubai and some are extremely common. If you are travelling to any destination please make some online investigations regarding banned drugs.

Ensure, as mentioned in other posts, that you always carry a copy of your prescriptions with you as well.

Karen

I guess we're not going to Dubai, because we carry codeine and a whole lot of other derivitives. We've travelled all over the world for extended periods of time with no problems. Ever. Maybe we've just been lucky, but there's no way I can carry 17 different bottles of vitamins and a conglomeration of other "just in case" rx meds in their original containers.

Does anyone know if gel/lotion prescriptions need to be within that same pint size bag with all the other liquid things under 3 ozs or can it be kept in an additional clear bag with pill prescriptions?

Does the medication need to be in a container under 3 ozs? Thanks for the help.

~ BJ

I guess we're not going to Dubai, because we carry codeine and a whole lot of other derivitives. We've travelled all over the world for extended periods of time with no problems. Ever. Maybe we've just been lucky, but there's no way I can carry 17 different bottles of vitamins and a conglomeration of other "just in case" rx meds in their original containers.

Holy cow - 17 bottles of vitamins? If the ailment doesn't kill you , the cure will;)

This is from the TSA. Remember this is just in the US. Foreign countries may have similar or different policies. Most foreign country will require it to be in the original labeled bottle. It all depends of the country and the person screening your luggage. Why take the risk?

You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes.

Additional items you may bring include:

* Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;

* Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;

* Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,

* Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.

For more information on these measures, please read our memo outlining our policy. Changes in Allowances for Persons with Disabilities at Airport Security Checkpoints (PDF, 101 KB)

Non-liquid or gel medications of all kinds such as solid pills, or inhalers are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to assist with the screening process.

We normally X-ray medication and related supplies. However, as a customer service, you may ask that Security Officers visually inspect your medication and associated supplies.

* You must ask for visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise your medications and supplies will be X-rayed.

* If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have your medication and associated supplies separated from your other property in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector.

* Ask the Security Officer to visually inspect your medication and hand your medication pouch/bag to him or her.

* To prevent your medication, associated supplies or fragile medical materials for contamination or damage, we will ask you to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during visual inspection. Any medication and/or associated supplies that we can't clear visually will be X-rayed. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

We never have with no problems, I think most are used to people packing their pills / vitamins, taking enough for the trip and one container, whether it's the weekly cases or the like.

On a cruise, I typically drink my vitamins..... red wine, beer, Makers Mark and water........

Archived