Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

I must say that with all the research on CC.com and after booking the cruise for my family, this thread has been the MOST informative and USEFULL thread on the entire site. Thank you to all who have provided their packing tips and took the time to make up the lists for the rest of us to use.

I must say that with all the research on CC.com and after booking the cruise for my family, this thread has been the MOST informative and USEFULL thread on the entire site. Thank you to all who have provided their packing tips and took the time to make up the lists for the rest of us to use.

AWWW ... that is so very nice...

Hi Lana:

Just take one of your cruise luggage tags and tape it onto the case of water.

TA-DA!!!!

Yes.. Cruise Diva is a good site!!!!!

you may want to check with your cruise line first. we did this with a cube of soda in 2009 but heard you cant do this anymore. It may need to be in a suitcase

How much trouble will be get into if we sneak in booze???:rolleyes:

Worst case they will confiscate it. Not very many people have ever reported it confiscated. They will return it to you I am told at the end of the cruise. You will not go to jail. You will not be refused boarding. You will have a good time even if you do not succeed.

Edited by scmexico

How many people refilled water bottles from the tap? What about water at the ports (Bahamas) . . . is it safe to drink? I MUST have my coffee every morning. What is the creamer selection and is the coffee good? Trust me, it will ruin my day (& my hubby's) if I don't have coffee with cream!

Finally, has anyone parked at the Charleston port? We are driving to Charleston and leaving our car . . . would love to hear of any experiences or tips.

I bought an over-the-door shoe organizer w/ clear pockets at Target, a hanging make-up bag, pop-up small laundry cube, and rain poncho. Since we are cruising to the Bahamas in just a couple more weeks, I assume I may still need jackets or light sweaters in dining rooms or on the deck at nights?

I do tend to overpack and am trying to downsize my urge to pack everything . . . except every medicine I can think of (from Pepto & Advil to Benedryl aloe for sunburn).

These threads are sooooo helpful. I'm still wondering if the carry-on soda HAS TO be inside a bag . . . and about the parking.

:)

Type One Mom

What cruise line are you traveling on? Not sure about all the creamers for coffee on the different lines. I have never been out of Charleston so I can't help you there.

I have always taken my own case of water because I like it cold on ice but I do know lots of people drink water from the tap. The drinking water is fine in the Bahamas but some people will always prefer bottled water.

It is always cooler on the decks and in the dining room. I would always recommend a light sweater no matter what time of year.

Carry on soda, again it depends on what cruise line you are going to be sailing on.

As far as overpacking you will probably find that you will not wear all the clothes you pack. Just ask yourself when packing is it a need or a want??

Sounds like you are getting yourself organized.

A good place to research or ask questions would be on Trip Advisor Forum under Charleston. Ask a question and someone local or with good knowledge of the area will respond.

Thanks for the tips. We are traveling on Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston, SC. We'll drive directly to Charleston on departure day since it is less than 2 hours.

It will certainly affect my packing if I need to put all drinks inside a suitcase. I hadn't planned on that one. I have always carried a very small backpack on any type of vacation (walking all over D.C or Disney), so I plan to do the same on this trip. I was hoping to bring one large suitcase, one small suitcase, and one hanging clothing bag (that would hold only my husband's sports coat, dress pants, and my one dressy outfit basic for formal nights). Perhaps there will be room in the hanging bag for whatever I was going to pack in the small suitcase if it's needed for the 12 packs.

Can I bring a 12 pack each PLUS bottled water? I wonder if the bottled water counts in place of the soda.

I also wonder how many of you suggest cash for the port shopping? I've heard there are lots of neat souvenir stands. Wouldn't you need cash for the taxi or carriage transportation, too?

One Type Mom:

I don't cruise on Carnival but from what I have read online regarding Carnival they will allow you to bring a 12 pack per person but you would need to carry it on.

Carnival has a questions and answer forum at their website, I would suggest posting your questions there regarding the 12 packs and also the coffee creamer. If you find that you need a certain coffee creamer for your coffee and they don't have it, then I would most certainly pack that in my suitcase inside a ziplock bag.

If I had to carry on my soda and water, I would certainly have a rolling type duffle bag of some sort.

Here is the link:

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/t/156677.aspx

We don't carry around large sums of cash when at port, we use our credit cards for purchases and then have cash for tipping and taxi's etc..

Hope this helps~

I do bring them and CHANGE them out during my cruise...usually each port..This way if the camera gets lost, stolen, etc., I do not lose all my pictures!

They are sooo tiny.....EZ to keep track of CAUSE I put the extras with my assortment of casual jewelry I put in the safe....

My BEST packing tip is....toss in an insulated cold drink cup....Done it on three cruises...and plan to do it again....TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Home Goods is just getting in their new summer selections...(I do not do this for land based vacations....)

I only use a packing list for cruises- not land based vacations....

I also offload all the extraneous stuff I take with me when I unpack and take a picture of it all....it later reminds of stuff I brought and will not take in the future....or stuff I loved, used and want to take again....

Bernadette

0523101834.jpg.2703e437a8b3695f7b3bd76d67df681e.jpg

• Like 1

Bernadette:

I like the picture you posted of your insulated cup. I also like the ones you can buy at Starbucks that has the straw and screw down lid. That would be helpful if you happened to knock it over at the pool.

Your idea of lots of camera memory cards is also very helpful. I download my pictures onto our lap top each night and also bring lots of cards for back up..

I just read a tip to spray your luggage with waterproof spray. Have you ever traveled in rainy weather? I have.. and ended up with some damp clothes during a trip.

Hi Janet,

I also like those lidded cups...but mine is bigger.

hahaha AND when I keep checking them out- the lids don't always screw on easily.

Those stores I mention have a huge assortment of the screw on lids with straws...one had flip flops on it...and such pretty colors....

I realize I also like the handle on mine.

I also have a lidded/straw drink thing that looks like a jug...trying not to overpack...so it may/should stay home....

but lidded is great !

Could someone post a link to the shoe organiser thingy? I have looked here online and the only sort seem to have a rigid back to them and then multiple little plastic storage holders (which is great) but not the rigid back! It wouldn't even fit in my suitcase. Thanks

Here is one for only $10 - http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKimball/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?TID=_MilesKimball&CID=MKHomeandPets&SCID=MKStorageandOrganization&ProductID=BC00344995&

$10 is a pretty good price for that shoe holder from Miles Kimball.

When our cruise is dwinding down and it is time to pack ((sniffle sniffle)) everything.. I just unhook the shoe holder from the door and pack it as is. Going home I don't need to be as careful packing as I do going..

MIVIN.. welcome aboard sailor... I am happy you find the list helpful.

I Just purchased the 24 Pocket Over The Door Shoe Organizer from Walmart made by MainStays today. $5.87 as opposed to online prices of $10+. It's obvious I won't be taking 24 pairs of shoes...but this will serve the purpose for holding lots of other things, ie: combs/brushes, lotions, sunglasses, etc. So excited, I feel like we'll be able to keep a tidy cabin without all the clutter.

I Just purchased the 24 Pocket Over The Door Shoe Organizer from Walmart made by MainStays today. $5.87 as opposed to online prices of $10+. It's obvious I won't be taking 24 pairs of shoes...but this will serve the purpose for holding lots of other things, ie: combs/brushes, lotions, sunglasses, etc. So excited, I feel like we'll be able to keep a tidy cabin without all the clutter.

Thanks - I'll have to check it out. They didn't have it online - forgot to check the tab that says In Store. Doesn't give a price for my store, though. Good to know.

That is great.. It is clear? Clear is the best since you can see through it..

Yes, it's clear and very durable, pockets are large and deep, items will definitely stay put and won't lean over or fall out.

Thanks for the info... We have a couple of newbies going on our Alaskan Cruise in June so I will send them over to Walmart to search for this. Thanks again..

The over the door shoe holder is one of my most treasured packing items. When you think of all the things you can put in it and then just hook it over the back of your bathroom door it will really keep your bathroom less cluttered and you will feel more organized... I have taken this on other vacations or weekend trips.. it is very useful.