Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

In 2002 for a Norway Fjords cruise we planned a two night pre-cruise in Copenhagen. My luggage did not arrive and even with two nights it still did not arrive. It caught up with me 6 days later in Bergen Norway.

I had my teeth cleaning stuff, and an extra pair of pants and shirt in my carry-on.

Bought a swimsuit, and a sweater. Had slippers and lounged around ship in bathing suit.

This cruise ship didn’t sell pants. I didn’t buy any in Copenhagen since felt sure luggage would show up.

Cruise ship loaned me a tux so I made the formal. It was very nice of them since I had made my own arrangements for flights.

Yes, you can survive with very little. Just hope it is always the man’s luggage that is lost and not the ladies’. That would be a disaster.

Same trip we flew out of Heathrow to Manchester and they lost my wife’s luggage for three days. We had remembered to cross pack this time, so not too much damage since we were just touring around England.

Booze smuggling is another story. I don't tell those secrets.

Above said, I still like all the comforts of home and also bring a scale (not heavy) to measure luggage weight so no surpirses at flight check in.

Edited by scapel

There was a post about bringing a cooler aboard....I can't find any information on the NCL website about this *shrug*

It just says 2 suitcases and a carry on....?

While NCL states only 2 suitcases and a carryon, no one ever checks or goes by this you can print as many luggage tags as you wish. Soft sided ice chests are great. I have also seen inflatable ones at Party City. Check the NCL boards for further clarification. Have a great time!!

Wow. I learned a lot from everyone's point of view and really appreciated all the opinions and advice and lists! I certainly could've done without the snarky comments and ridiculous defensiveness. Who knew packing was such a controversial/confrontational topic? But, a huge thanks to everyone who took the time to provide packing advice to first time cruisers.

Wow. I learned a lot from everyone's point of view and really appreciated all the opinions and advice and lists! I certainly could've done without the snarky comments and ridiculous defensiveness. Who knew packing was such a controversial/confrontational topic? But, a huge thanks to everyone who took the time to provide packing advice to first time cruisers.

Welcome to Cruise Critic...

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!

I think it is kind of funny when we talk about packing light and then bring a over the door shoe organizer. Will we bring that many shoes that we need an organizer. Maybe you use this shoe organizer to put other things in. That would be cool I guess. What else might we put in a shoe organizer other than shoes?

Joe:

LOL

I don't bring that many shoes... the shoe organizer is for all the little things that clutter up the bathroom... It also helps my husband find things because of the clear pockets.

2986_88900719736_581849736_1705595_.jpg?t=1305232438

I think it's brilliant...if only because I do it too! I use these on every door in my house, on my bathroom door, on my kids' doors and on my utility room door for every kind of little tool or product, whether personal, household, gardening, or whatever! Why not use one for travel? You have my vote!

WOW....LOVE this list! (can you tell I'm packing?) :o :D :D

Thanks for your list. I added some humor and I am a category freak...here is mine....hope it helps someone.

Can't get my attachment to load....anyway, here it is in text, sorry to take up all the space.

IMPORTANT DOCS TO PUT IN FOLDER FOR CARRY ON

• PASSPORT, PUT COPY IN FOLDER

• CRUISE DOCS

• EXCURSION DOCS

• AIRLINE

• HOTEL

• LAND TRANSFERS, RENTAL CAR, BUS, ETC

• TRAVEL INSURANCE

• EMERGENCY #’S AND ADDRESSES FOR POST CARDS

• TRAVELLING COMPANIONS’ EMERGENCY #’S ALSO

• MEDICAL CARDS AND MEDICAL FSA CARD COPIES

CARRY ON PACKING LIST

• PASSPORT

• LICENSE

• CREDIT CARDS INCLUDING FSA VISA

• DOCUMENT FOLDER

• IPOD & CHARGER

• WATCH (A MUST HAVE!!! YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS AND TYPICALLY WANT TO DO A CRUISE ACTIVITY)

• GOODIES AND GUMMIES

• HAND SANITIZER

• LOTION

• CHAPSTIK

• PEN & SMALL NOTEBOOK (GOOD FOR YOUR CRUISE DAYS TOO, WHEN YOU MEET SOMEONE YOU CAN GET THEIR EMAIL TO KEEP IN TOUCH. ALSO, WRITE IN THIS NOTEBOOK THE EMERGENCY TELES FOR TRAVEL AGENT, CRUISELINE, AND EXCURSION FOLKS AND YOUR EMERGENCY CONTACTS)

• CAMERA

• CELL PHONE

• PLASTIC BAGGIES

• SUNGLASSES

• WATERBOTTLE, FILLED W/GOODIES, NO LIQUIDS

• DOLLAR BILLS FOR TIPPING

• SMALL ROLL OF DUCT TAPE??

• LUGGAGE ID’S

• EYEDROPS

• BREATH SPRAY (YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOUR AIRLINE SEAT MATE WILL BE….SMILE, AH! FRESH BREATH)

OVERNIGHT BAG FOR HOTEL SO YOU DON’T HAVE TO RUMMAGE THRU YOUR ENTIRE LUGGAGE TO FIND THE OUTFITS BEFORE THE CRUISE

• PJS

• FLIPPIES

• BATHING SUIT & COVER UP

• OUTFIT FOR PRE-CRUISE DAYS

• OUTFIT FOR BOARDING THE SHIP

• HAT/VISOR/SUNGLASSES

• DISPOSABLE CAMERA FOR POOL @ HOTEL

• BINOCULARS

• CURLING IRON AND SMALL HAND TOWEL--WRAP IF HOT WHEN PACKING

• PERSONAL TOILETRIES

• PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE (PACK IT FOR WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE PIER)

IN-CABIN ROOM CHECK LIST

• WALKIE TALKIES & CHARGER

• POWER STRIP

• EXTENSION CORD

• NITE LITE

• CELL CHARGER AND CAMERA CHARGER

• OUST FOR BATHROOM FRESHNESS (TOOT TOOT)

• CLOTHESPINS FOR BATHING SUITS TO DRIP DRY

• ZIPLOC BAGS (USE FOR CRUISE DAILY SHEETS TO PROTECT FOR SCRAPBOOKING, LEFT OVERS, LOTIONS)

• HIGHLITER FOR CRUISE SHEETS DAILY ACTIVITIES (A MUST!!)

• SMALL ZIPLOC OF DETERGENT (SINK WASHABLES) & FABRIC SOFTENER SHEETS

• DOLLAR BILLS FOR TIPPING ROOM SERVICE

• SANITY (DOESN’T COME FOR FREE WHEN YOU SEE HOW SMALL THE BATHROOM IS)

TOILETRY BAG FOR ROOM

• HAIR---SHAMP/COND/HAIRSPRAY/GEL/CLIPS

• NAILS—POLISH/REMOVER/FILE/CLIPPERS

• FACE—MAKEUP/WASH/LOTION/LIPS

• FEET—POLISH/LOTION

• TUMMY—IMMODIUM/DRAMAMINE

• NOSE—FLONASE/SALINE SPRAY

• EYES—EYEDROPS (A MUST!!)

• CUTS/SCRAPES—NEO/BANDAIDS

• ALLERGIES—CLARITON D

• SKIN—LOTION/SUNSCREEN

• BODY—WASH/CLOTHS

• PITS—DEODORANT/PERFUME

• BUMM—TUMS/GAS-X

• RAZORS & GEL

• FEMININE PRODS & PRIVATE TOILETRIES

ONBOARD THE SHIP CLOTHES PACKING LIST

• DINNER OUTFITS FOR 5 NIGHTS

• AFTERNOON OUTFITS/CASUAL OUTFITS FOR 4 DAYS

• 2 FORMAL OUTFITS W/UNDERS

• 2 BATHING SUITS AND 2 COVER UPS AND RASH GUARD SHIRT

• UNDERS AND BRAS

• 3 PRS SOCKS (2 PR FORMAL SOCKS FOR BOYS)

• SNEAKS, SANDALS, FLIPPIES

• PJS, 3 PC MIX/MATCH ONE SET

• SMALL HAND BAG TO TAKE TO/FROM DINNER EACH NIGHT

• JEWELRY—MINIMAL AMOUNT

EXCURSION PACKING LIST

• BEACH BAG

• ID’S AND CASH AND VISA

• SNORKEL EQUIPMENT

• CAMERA, UNDERWATER AND REGULAR

• SNACKS AND BEVERAGES

• TOWELS

• FACECLOTH AND BAGGIES (FOR SAND AND HANDS)

• WATERPROOF BAG (SO YOU CAN TAKE YOUR $$ AND IDS SNORKELING W/YOU AND NOT WORRY ABOUT SOMEONE STEALING YOUR STUFF)

• CHANGE OF UNDERS

• BATHING SUIT/COVERUP/RASHGUARD

• HAIR CLIP

• FLIPPIES/SANDALS

• SUNSCREEN

• SMALL MEDICAL KIT (BANDAIDS AND NEOSPORIN AND EYEDROPS)

• HAT/VISOR/SUNGLASSES

• SMALL NOTEBOOK/PEN (FOR CAB INFO AND TIPS/MAPS, DIRECTIONS)

WHILE WALKING OUT OF YOUR ROOM IN THE A.M. TAKE THESE IN A BEACH BAG TO MINIIZE TRIPS BACK TO THE ROOM

• ID’S

• CAMERA REGULAR AND UNDERWATER FOR POOL/HOT TUB USE

• WATER BOTTLE

• SMALL MEDICAL PACK (EYEDROPS, BANDAIDS, NEOSP)

• SMALL NOTEBOOK/PEN

• HIGHLIGHTER FOR DAILY ACTIVITIES

• WATCH (A MUST!!)

• CHAPSTIK

• SUNGLASSES/HAT

• SUNSCREEN

• LOTION FORWHEN YOU GET OUT OF THE POOL—DRY SKIN

• BOOK/MAGAZINE/EARPLUGS

• IPOD

• SMILE (YOU WILL BE SURPRISED HOW MANY FOLKS FORGET THEIRS WHEN HEADING OUT TO THE POOL OR BUFFET)

EVENING PURSE/SACK TO TAKE TO DINNER AND SUCH

• ID’S

• REGULAR CAMERA

• SMALL NOTEBOOK/PEN

• LIPSTICK

LIST OF ITEMS THAT I NEED TO BORROW FROM FRIENDS/FAMILY:

LIST OF ITEMS THAT I NEED TO BUY BEFORE THE TRIP:

LIST OF ITEMS THAT I NEED TO FIND AROUND THE HOUSE STILL BECAUSE I AM SO UNORGANIZED AND I CAN’T REMEMBER WHERE THE HECK I PUT THE DANG THINGS!

Great ideas!! Just printed the list...we are cruising to Alaska on Princess in July. It will save me tons of time trying to get the family ready for the trip of a lifetime! Can't wait to hear about your trip! Safe travels!

I am in awe at the effort put in to help newbies like me and have downloaded your packing list.Many thanks.

:)

I have a question which I cannot find mentioned anywhere{yet}

I am sailing on P.O.Aurora which is British owned ship,which will no doubt use UK power outlets.

I am in Australia and will be bringing a Ozzie extension cable{power strip?}

I can bring a convertor for the strips Main connection,now can I now use my ozzie electrical equipment without further need to convert each one that is plugged to entension cable?,thus not having to purchase more convertors

Hope this makes sense.:confused:

Thank you in anticipation

Edited by moodyblue9

Glad you liked the list.. In answer to your question I get what you are saying but I can not confirm or verify a positive response. If I were you, I would post this question over on the P&O Cruises Board and see if someone will respond.. or unless others that read this can help...

Hope you get your answer!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=431

CLICK ON NEW THREAD and then ask your question...

Edited by Janet Foster

The list was great some good ideas there for me ..iv'e been buying stuff since January although not going till Sept:D i have the cases in the bedroom & just add stuff , i always do it even though we are campers with our own old camper van :confused:.. but it's our first cruise & i would rather take too many clothes etc & not use them as not taken something & wished i had ..wer'e not flying so it doesn't matter & going to use the bags that have the air sucked out for the stuff that doesn't crease ..but my little list for things i would never have thought of is growing all the time :)

The list was great some good ideas there for me ..iv'e been buying stuff since January although not going till Sept:D i have the cases in the bedroom & just add stuff , i always do it even though we are campers with our own old camper van :confused:.. but it's our first cruise & i would rather take too many clothes etc & not use them as not taken something & wished i had ..wer'e not flying so it doesn't matter & going to use the bags that have the air sucked out for the stuff that doesn't crease ..but my little list for things i would never have thought of is growing all the time :)

Have fun on your first cruise. How nice you don't have to fly anywhere!!

First off, the best thing on your list is the shoe rack/holder. We had 4 in our room and I can't imagine cruising ever again without one! I enjoyed it when my 2 teenage boys would constantly ask for something (like a comb or colonge) and I would saunter over to the shoe rack and say hmmmmm...oh HERE it is! It became a little joke between us all. I also bought a pop-up hamper which came in quite handy.

I took your advice and taped a luggage tag to the top...just like in your picture. A great idea. However, when we got there the porter wouldn't take my water. He said that Carnival wouldn't allow them to do this anymore. We had to lug it with us on board and it was quite heavy. The security people also opened it up in the middle of the top and didn't tape it back! It was quite cumbersome and annoying! Next time, I'm going to pack it in a suitcase...it will be heavy, but I'll just tip the porter a little more and bring an extra suitcase for water.

One other thing I just remembered...I don't know if this is the same on all Carnival cruises, but when I plugged in my three pronged electrical "thingy" and plugged in my extension cord for the alarm clock, the room steward said we couldn't do that, so I just had to unplug my clock when I wanted to use my hair straightener. No big deal, but I also couldn't plug in my night light and clock at the same time.