Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

I do bring them and CHANGE them out during my cruise...usually each port..This way if the camera gets lost, stolen, etc., I do not lose all my pictures!

They are sooo tiny.....EZ to keep track of CAUSE I put the extras with my assortment of casual jewelry I put in the safe....

My BEST packing tip is....toss in an insulated cold drink cup....Done it on three cruises...and plan to do it again....TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Home Goods is just getting in their new summer selections...(I do not do this for land based vacations....)

I only use a packing list for cruises- not land based vacations....

I also offload all the extraneous stuff I take with me when I unpack and take a picture of it all....it later reminds of stuff I brought and will not take in the future....or stuff I loved, used and want to take again....

Bernadette

Bernadette, you are a wonder!! I love your suggestions. I was worrying about downloading pictures so I don't lose them and you suggest different memory cards...that is so very smart!! What do you use the insulated cup for? and taking a picture of what you pack...priceless!!;)

Great list! A few other things I always bring too:

- 2 pareos; we take these ashore for beach days as they are not as bulky as towels and don't hold sand either

- a waterproof beach bag or plastic bags to put wet beach stuff in

- Backpack for shopping; doesn't point you out as a tourist so much as a totebag does. That said, I never recommend anyone to take/wear anything ashore with the ship's logo except a postcard. If you're traveling in a place where crime is high the ship logo makes you as sitting duck. The postcard is handy if you end up with a cab driver that doesn't speak your language - you show the post card and they take you back to the ship.

- Hand sanitizers for obvious reasons

- Laundry soap. The purex laundry sheets totally rock as they will not spill in your luggage.

- Meclazine for motion sickness

- Water wallet to hols your id, ship card and credit card

- If you cruise on a line that allows you to bring on wine, make sure you have a corkscrew or screw top/sparkling wines

- Bandaids for blisters. Alcohol and heat make your feet swell....

- The obvious medicial acountrements - aspirin, alka-seltzer, some antihistime, pepto bismol etc

That about does it for what we bring. Hope this is useful for you.

I've had some luck at last with this! All your tips re where to buy them were very appreciated but .... I'm in New Zealand, and I couldn't find one anywhere and I sure made some intensive enquiries. Nothing much stops me when I set my mind to it! :)

Anyway, a new Mitre 10 Mega Store ( you probably never heard of this chain) opened here in our region recently. It's a hardware type store. We went for a looksee and just on the off-chance I decided to have a look for the elusive shoe organiser. There it was, only had about 4 there, and you'd think I'd found the Holy Grail the way I carried on!

Happy Happy Happy! :D

Cost was $18 NZ btw It's 24 pocket and it's CLEAR!

I've had some luck at last with this! All your tips re where to buy them were very appreciated but .... I'm in New Zealand, and I couldn't find one anywhere and I sure made some intensive enquiries. Nothing much stops me when I set my mind to it! :)

Anyway, a new Mitre 10 Mega Store ( you probably never heard of this chain) opened here in our region recently. It's a hardware type store. We went for a looksee and just on the off-chance I decided to have a look for the elusive shoe organiser. There it was, only had about 4 there, and you'd think I'd found the Holy Grail the way I carried on!

Happy Happy Happy! :D

Cost was $18 NZ btw It's 24 pocket and it's CLEAR!

I'm jealous. New Zealand is on my must visit list! My mom went a few years ago and fell in love with her pictures and stories.

Great luck on your find! Congrats.

I Just purchased the 24 Pocket Over The Door Shoe Organizer from Walmart made by MainStays today. $5.87 as opposed to online prices of $10+. It's obvious I won't be taking 24 pairs of shoes...but this will serve the purpose for holding lots of other things, ie: combs/brushes, lotions, sunglasses, etc. So excited, I feel like we'll be able to keep a tidy cabin without all the clutter.

You can also use it for shawls, shoes, belts, underwear, etc.

I have spent the last hour or so reading over this thread. I think y'all ought to try NCL ... then you won't need dressy clothes. :D

You can also use it for shawls, shoes, belts, underwear, etc.

I have spent the last hour or so reading over this thread. I think y'all ought to try NCL ... then you won't need dressy clothes. :D

I never bring dressy clothes. We don't do formal any longer.

sofienfred

Congratulations on your find.. The Holy Grail of organizers.. You really did put your mind to it. I bet this is a gem you will use forever!

Best Regards!

Janet

Thanks Janet!

And thanks Cudagirl for your good wishes. I hope you do get here one day soon. :-)

Now to make another list of what I am gonna put in my shoe organiser. Just kidding!! ... or am I...... lol

I do bring them and CHANGE them out during my cruise...usually each port..This way if the camera gets lost, stolen, etc., I do not lose all my pictures!

They are sooo tiny.....EZ to keep track of CAUSE I put the extras with my assortment of casual jewelry I put in the safe....

My BEST packing tip is....toss in an insulated cold drink cup....Done it on three cruises...and plan to do it again....TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Home Goods is just getting in their new summer selections...(I do not do this for land based vacations....)

I only use a packing list for cruises- not land based vacations....

I also offload all the extraneous stuff I take with me when I unpack and take a picture of it all....it later reminds of stuff I brought and will not take in the future....or stuff I loved, used and want to take again....

Bernadette

Why do you bring an insulated cold drink cup? I dont' mean to sound stupid...just wondering. Love the picture Idea!

Does anyone know if the balcony cabins category BB has bathrobes or can they be requested?? I love to sit on the balcony prior to dressing. I'm packing now for our Barcelona departure on the NCL Jade 4/17 and would love to leave my bathrobe home!

I have not cruised on NCL so I can't say for sure but being that you have a balcony cabin one would think that yes bathrobes would be available. I would also think if you ask the cabin stewards they should provide them on request.

I also love sitting on the balcony prior to dressing. I would hate to have to pack my robe, just takes up too much room. Hope others will respond and that you get confirmation. Have a great time!

I am sorry to say that most of the stuff on these lists you will never use and/or might use once.. A scale packed in your luggage?? Come on..

We have been on 3 cruises so far and will be on our 4th later this year.. We took a great many of the items on these lists for our first cruise and never used any of them, did not need to.. Don't get me wrong, there are some good suggestions here as well.. Just think before you pack..

Now for my travel tip.. As you know, you can't bring beer on board as they will take it from you.. Here is a little trick to get 10 cans of beer on board and have THEM deliver it to your cabin.. Take one of those 12 pack soda boxes and very carefully open the end.. Remove the soda.. Put 10 of the beer of your choice back into the box and just put 2 cans of the soda where they can be seen through the handle holes.. Use a glue gun to reseal the box and you are set.. They look and see soda...

You can also put clear booze into water bottles as well.. Vodka, gin and some rums. The cruise lines are getting wiser to the "rum runners" and are starting to look for them..

I am sorry to say that most of the stuff on these lists you will never use and/or might use once.. A scale packed in your luggage?? Come on..

We have been on 3 cruises so far and will be on our 4th later this year.. We took a great many of the items on these lists for our first cruise and never used any of them, did not need to.. Don't get me wrong, there are some good suggestions here as well.. Just think before you pack..

Now for my travel tip.. As you know, you can't bring beer on board as they will take it from you.. Here is a little trick to get 10 cans of beer on board and have THEM deliver it to your cabin.. Take one of those 12 pack soda boxes and very carefully open the end.. Remove the soda.. Put 10 of the beer of your choice back into the box and just put 2 cans of the soda where they can be seen through the handle holes.. Use a glue gun to reseal the box and you are set.. They look and see soda...

You can also put clear booze into water bottles as well.. Vodka, gin and some rums. The cruise lines are getting wiser to the "rum runners" and are starting to look for them..

Once again... as most of you will read over and over this thread, this list is not a must have must pack. This is merely a trigger point for things you "might" need.

Just like you "might" need that hot glue gun to seal the end of your soda boxes.

A scale packed in your luggage?? Come on..

• 2 weeks later...

I agree...way too much stuff. I pack very lightly. Take advantage of the free toiltetries on board, use the supplied body wash and shampoo. Who needs a better blow dryer....take advantage of the balcony and let the ocean breeze dry your hair. I too made a "list" for my friends for our last cruise...it was a list on how to pack the minimum necessary. For example: 7 night cruise, pack 2 dress pants or capris that match 4-5 dressy blouses. 1 formal night dress and 1 pair of shoes that match with all. I found the BEST shoe ever..."Switch Flops" by Lindsay Phillips. Pick your flip flop (I choose silver because it matches everything) and the straps are interchangable. I took 1 flip flop for the entire cruise...the straps can be dressy for evening and casual for days...they are the greatest!! The key to cruise packing is make sure all clothing items and shoes are interchangable...who wants to be dragging on tons of stuff. Bathing suit and cover-ups for days and items above for night...That's it!! Happy sailing!!

Years ago, when we were planning our first cruise, an experienced cruiser gave us this advice: Pick out all of the clothes you FEEL you need for the cruise - leave HALF of them behind. Plan your budget - then take twice that amount to spend!

The hardest part was in BELIEVING you wouldn't need 2-3 changes of clothes per day! You CAN wear clothes more than once - mix and match shirts & ties, and take both black and tan slacks, and perhaps more than 1 sport coat! The ships do have laundry service if necessary. My last cruise I saw a neighbor had strung a rope across their deck under the rail, as a place to hang items to dry - don't forget clothes pins!

Bring EXTRA cheap wire hangers, as the ship never supplies enough in the closet, and leave the hangers behind at the end of the cruise.

Bring a clock to place in your room (the one on the telephone is DIFFICULT to read). You know, vacation, you shouldn't be wearing a wrist watch anyway! Actually, a wristwatch would be handy at times, as clocks on the ship seem never to be handy (in a pinch, buy a drink, the time will be printed on the receipt!), and can be usefull to ensure getting to an event on time.

On several early cruises we brought wine in our checked bags. Then we discovered, due to the amount we drank, it didn't make a big difference in our tab. Now, we purchase a wine package to save $$s. Compare the wines in each package, and if the only wine you'll drink is in the inexpensive package, don't buy the expensive package. The wine is available at your dinner table, OR in your room thru room service. A bottle of wine and a cheese plate is a great in-between/before-hand item!

USE room service for BREAKFAST! IT IS SO nice NOT to rush around to get dressed and fight the crowds. For a nominal tip you can get the same food in your room, when you want it.

INFORM your room steward, at the START of the cruise - If your cruise invovles sea days, and you KNOW you'll be recovering from partying the night before, let them know if you will/won't require morning room service on those days. They'll appreciate NOT having to wait around your room to service it. It's YOUR vacation, but the crew appreciates knowing what service YOU expect. I'm not a morning person, so I told my room steward I only needed night-time service. (Ooh, I hope that didn't come across "wrong").

Ideas, for what's it's worth, from a 10-cruise, cruiser's input.

Jeff

Putting liquor into water bottles won't always work. If the water bottle is open, cruise lines are starting to shake the water bottles. If it's liquor, it bubbles - water doesn't. Or vice versa, I don't remember which. But that's what they're looking for and now throwing out water bottles before letting you board.

I took 1 flip flop for the entire cruise
I'm a big fan of minimal packing... but this seems to be taking things too far. Couldn't you find room for the other one so you would have a pair :D Edited by wcook